[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't really like jazz that much. Does that make me a pleb?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: MI0003967856.jpg (44KB, 400x537px) Image search: [Google]
MI0003967856.jpg
44KB, 400x537px
I don't really like jazz that much. Does that make me a pleb?
>>
Jazz isn't art so don't worry about it. It's like saying you don't like metal.
>>
if it's all jazz in general jazz, if it's an specific sub genre of jazz, then no
>>
>>74746331
Jazz it does
>>
>>74746331
Younprobably just don't know how to actually listen.
>>
>>74746520

this, most people on /mu/ just treat music as background noise while they shitpost
>>
>>74746352
metal is the new classical though
>>
its ok jazz attracts the most pretentious people out of all genres
>>
>>74746331
Jazz and Classical Music are too one dimensional to be the greatest piece of music.
>>
>>74746331
no
what music you like has nothing to do with being patrician/pleb, the attitude towards music is what makes one patrician/pleb
>>
>>74746331
y
>>
>>74746688
spotted the pleb
>>
File: 1476357861657.png (339KB, 823x720px) Image search: [Google]
1476357861657.png
339KB, 823x720px
>>74746331
Jazz is popular music.
Popular music can't be per natura a patrician genre.
>>
>>74746673
>>74746745
You're not even trying at this point.
>>
>>74746757
Classical is patrician, is not popular music, duh
>>
>>74746520
I agree. I have listened to 10+ landmark albums, but then turned on Andrew Hill and was bamboozled. Where to look, what to pay attention for, what is magic of jazz? I listen to avant-garde non-jazz stuff, opera and usually don't have a problem of "getting into", but jazz is the last bastion I am struggling comprehending. No kidding, really asking for an advice.
>>
>>74746844
Playing an instrument and therefore having an understanding of music theory helps.
>>
>>74746870
Playing guitar and piano for 4 years both. Striving to take sax classes next year. I just don't know where to look into.
>>
>>74746844
Read reviews!
https://rateyourmusic.com/collection/jazzthreadguy/reviews,ss.rd
>>
>>74746935
>Playing guitar and piano for 4 years both. Striving to take sax classes next year. I just don't know where to look into.
How do you not understand music theory behind jazz while playing two of the most commonly used instruments in the genre?
>>
>>74746984
Just understanding the pure theory isn't always that helpful for listening to jazz. A lot of the best jazz goes way beyond functional harmony, and listening to the interplay of the musicians is the most important thing
>>
>>74746984
shit happens. And I am doubtful it would help a lot and be the ultimate factor in ability to genuinely appreciate jazz. You know, I want to listen to jazz as an inexperienced person being free of rock foundation and previous experience.
>>
>>74746956
Thanks. There's a lot of stuff in his 4.5's that I haven't heard of. What do you recommend?
>>
>>74747285
Idk. There's a lot that I haven't heard but anything with Chris Potter or David Binney is great.
>>
File: milesdavid.jpg (33KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
milesdavid.jpg
33KB, 400x400px
>plays a 12 bar blues with bill evans

omg so revolutionary!!!!
>>
>>74747985
But the only 12 bar blues's on that album are Freddie Freeloader (which Bill Evans doesn't play on) and All Blues
>>
>>74748175
let his ego play, will ya.
>>
>>74746956
Jazzthreadguy and his drones are the worst
>>
>>74748197
kys yourself
>>
at least "not liking" jazz implies you have some opinion on the music. if you've listened to something and know why you dislike it, you're still engaging with the music.

but I would advise you look more into the genre. jazz is too broad a term, there are many forms of music within jazz (some of which you may already enjoy). it's important to understand that these musicians are improvisers. that is what I think sets it apart as a listening experience
>>
>>74746688
based
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.