[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are we all in agreement this band was tragically underrated in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: STP.jpg (76KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
STP.jpg
76KB, 800x600px
You youngfags wouldn't know but at the time everyone wrote these guys off as Nirvana wannabes, notwithstanding great jams like Plush, Creep, Big Empty. It wasn't until Interstate Love Song critics realized they were talented, and then we got Lady Picture Show, Big Bang Baby, etc. I feel this is a band history will be super good too. Every album was very good pre-reunion.
>>
For you new fags, I was actually at this Letterman Show. This is a later song of theirs, not their best but look how sick they are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyiKDNuNG9o
>>
>>74733065
Of course they were. They're a mainstay every classic rock station now. I didn't know they were considered shitty back then.
>>
>>74733141
They were huge, he's just mad because the critics didn't take them seriously and I agree, they were grunge pop.
>>
>>74733065
They were written off as Pearl Jam impersonators because of the videos where that guy just imitated Eddie Vedder.
>>
As the only person in this thread odl enough to have been around when they were popular, no they weren't underrated. They were rated just fine. Their output is 75% really mediocre.
>>
>>74733867
thats bs. i was around then too. they were considered posers. i loved them and was mocked for that
>>
Thoughts on Weiland's death?
>>
File: BlindMelonBlindMelon.jpg (28KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
BlindMelonBlindMelon.jpg
28KB, 300x300px
Time for underrated 90s bargain bin bands y'all
>>
>>74735062
I think that's his point. They were mediocre. You deserved the mocking
>>
File: no-code.jpg (124KB, 807x807px) Image search: [Google]
no-code.jpg
124KB, 807x807px
Honestly Pearl Jam themselves are pretty underrated these days.
>>
File: christgau4.jpg (24KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
christgau4.jpg
24KB, 300x225px
Core [Atlantic, 1993]

Once you've learned to distinguish them from the Stoned Tempo Pirates, the Stolen Pesto Pinenuts, the Gray-Templed Prelates, Pearl Jam, Wishbone Ash, and Temple of the Dog, you may decide that they're a halfway decent hard rock act. Unfortunately, after they're done setting you up with their best power chords, you realize that the type song is "Sex Type Thing" and it's attached to a rape threat. The band claims this is intended ironically, sort of like "Naked Sunday"'s sarcastic handshake with authority. But ironic critique loses its teeth when the will to sex still powers your power chords. And if this is the excuse that critics, as well as MTV listeners, have reason to suspect, then the whole band should catch AIDS and die. B-

Purple [Atlantic, 1994] :(

No. 4 [Atlantic, 1999] *bomb*
>>
>>74733065
No way. In the days of radio, just getting play was sacred. Let alone multiple chart topping singles. STP was one of the more popular ones. Now if you said Helmet or Stabbing Westward
>>
>>74735083

Unsurprising but still a bit sad. I remember hearing about it and just going "maaan that suuuuucks... but yeah, I get it." Dude was talented but also obviously headed towards an early grave.
>>
In the same magazine poll (Rolling Stone maybe?) in the early nineties, they were simultaneously voted best band of the year and worst band of the year.
>>
File: Livecopper.jpg (32KB, 342x342px) Image search: [Google]
Livecopper.jpg
32KB, 342x342px
Anyone else like this one?
>>
>>74733338
this is bs. Weiland was a much better song writer, lyrically, than Cobain for example. Not Cornell or Vedder but they were tragically underrated
>>
>>74735124
No, they weren't. They're actually a band that survives time. I hear far more STP than Pearl Jam for exmple, and rightfully so.
>>
>>74735168
fag
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.