[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

do people actually think that rap has good lyrics?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

do people actually think that rap has good lyrics?
>>
no they are all playing a trick on you and you fell for it hehe
>>
>>74721292
No, it's just virtue signalling by nu-males to show how not racist and "hip" they are
>>
>>74721292
No. Subhumans do
>>
>>74721300
fugg :DDD
>>
Rap is only about 40 years old
It makes sense that only a hand full of rappers have even began to scratch the surface of serious poetry.

However, the day will come when rap lyrics are expected to be just as nuanced and intricate as serious literature.
When that happens will this board (or any other music forum/website) be able to judge rap on its lyrical merits?
I doubt it.

As a music board we should put our foot down and insist that lyrics do not matter in music past their basic sonic qualities.
>>
>>74722122
I agree. Also films should be judged on just the cinematography and performances, not the script.
>>
>>74722165
how would a play be judged?
>>
>>74722222
the text, the interpretation, the mise en scène, the performance...
>>
>>74722257
If we judge the script of a play why wouldn't we judge the script of a film?
>>
>>74721292
>https://www.thebookofthug.com
Yes
>>
>>74722122
>Reddit spacing
>>>/r/eddit
>>
>>74722122
folk was new when dylan made poetry, why can't rappers do the same?
>>
File: 1480544550772.gif (1MB, 480x287px) Image search: [Google]
1480544550772.gif
1MB, 480x287px
>>74722664
>folk was new
picrelated.gif

>>74721292
A lot of rap doesn't have a particular message but the creativity of the rhyme schemes and wordplay are far beyond anything in other genres of music. Kendrick is overrated though
>>
>>74722664
>why can't rappers do the same?
They can and most likely will much more often in the future.
However, music journalists and posters on music forums don't know the nuances of literature and usually aren't even well read.
These people aren't doing anybody any favors by talking about lyrics.
>>
>>74722824
>creativity of the rhyme schemes and wordplay are far beyond anything in other genres of music
yet basic when compared to actual writers
>>
>>74722664
>folk was new
If it was never new, and it never gets old, then it's a folk song. - meme movie by meme directors (it's actually great)
>>74721292
people overplay the quality of a lot of rap lyricism, but it's worth noting that there are some really great lyricists in rap. that and the fact that people seem to forget that rap, like singing lives or dies on how interesting the vocals are. if someone sang something profound, but doesn't convey it well cause they sing like a cunt, the lyrics are lost.
>>74723023
yeah, but no. people discredit the colloquialism in rap lyricism, but praise (and rightly so) the use of common language in contemporary writing, oft the writing of chicano writers. take junot diaz (albeit not quite chicano cause he's dominican) who writes in a pretty colloquial, racially toned manner. won a pulitzer.
>>
>>74722122
thats exactly what i
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.