[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which English City Has Contributed Most To Music?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 8

File: map_of_england.jpg (54KB, 466x350px) Image search: [Google]
map_of_england.jpg
54KB, 466x350px
London - Sex Pistols, Rolling Stones, Who, David Bowie, Adele, Clash, Amy Winehouse

Birmingham - Black Sabbath, (half of) Led Zeppelin, ELO, Duran Duran, Judas Priest

Liverpool - Beatles, Echo and the Bunnymen, The La's... er...

Manchester - Joy Division/new Order, Smiths/Morrissey, Stone Roses, Fall, Oasis

Newcastle - Animals, Roxy Music/Bryan Ferry, Sting, Dire Straits

Oxford - Radiohead... er...

Cambridge - Pink Floyd... er...
>>
>newcastle
>doesn't mention venom
>>
>>74687745
London
Manchester is very close second
>>
englan my city xS
>>
>>74687745
Why no Canterbury?
>>
london > manchester > birmingham = cambridge = bristol

>>74687745
henry cow and the soft boys are from cambridge
>>
England - Team 10
>>
N O T T Z

O

T

T

Z
>>
>>74687745
Why every anon that make this threads claim something without saying in wich way that happened or is happening?
I mean "which english city as contributed most", contributed how? Why only cities from England? Are you a brit-pop/brit-rock fan? Why do you talk about music in general when you are just talking about shitty rock/pop music?
>>
>>74687745
>all rock

Can you hear me back there in last century dad?
>>
>>74687935
>>
>>74687935
>>74687950
This

If you are British you should ashamed of your ignorance.
>>
Ride,Foals and Supergrass are from Oxford aswell

Supergrass are so good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNIMuvbiZcc
>>
File: laughing brit.png (386KB, 1005x562px) Image search: [Google]
laughing brit.png
386KB, 1005x562px
>>74687988
>>
>>74687970
A few days ago there was a thread with the following question: "wich kind of drug were most important to music history: marihuana, alcohol, LSD?"
It's the same kind of thread that this one. Why drugs are important to music? why do that anon named drugs that are most use in these age knowing that music have thousands of years? It's just stupid.
>>
File: 1503166706516.jpg (34KB, 598x521px) Image search: [Google]
1503166706516.jpg
34KB, 598x521px
>Sheffield: None

kill me lads
>>
>>74687988
I'm not british
>>
>>74688020
Arctic Monkeys, Pulp, Google before you post such stupidity again.
>>
>>74688020
Pulp
Def Leppard
Joe Cocker
Human League
Tony Christie
>>
Interesting fact, Liverpool is the city that has 'produced' the most number 1 chart topping artists in the world. So for each artist that gets a number one, no matter how many hits they have, it only counts once.
>>
File: lmgtfy.jpg (175KB, 1341x613px) Image search: [Google]
lmgtfy.jpg
175KB, 1341x613px
>>74687745
>Oxford - Radiohead... er...
>>
File: 28f.png (103KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
28f.png
103KB, 600x600px
>>74688070
>>
Manchester for acid house, the hacienda and dance crossover

The London for raves, bringing Ibiza parties to the UK and the 2nd summer of love and beyond

Bristol for Jamaican immigration and dub influence kickstarting trip hop, d&b, jungle and more

Then back to London where it all melted together with more of the same plus IDM/techno and the hard-core continuum into garage and grime
>>
>Winchester
>>
>>74687745
London
>Iron Maiden formed in London
Yeah, gotta be London
>>
Canterbury
>>
>>74688118
Been looking online for a source. It was displayed in the Liverpool museum on my last visit
>>
London, since so much of the stuff we consider being from other cities was recorded there (My Bloody Valentine was based in London after the first LP, for example, and The Beatles moved to it after they got international fame). Besides, there's a shitload of bands that are from there, besides the ones you listed. Queen, The Kinks, Nick Drake, Wire, most of The Police, Pet Shop Boys, Tears for Fears, Yes, King Crimson, Aphex Twin...

That said, if we're talking about bands overall, I don't think it's possible to really decide. Liverpool has a strong case on The Beatles alone, Echo and the Bunnymen really solidify the case for it. Oxford is one of the main cities if we're talking shoegaze, while for prog, Cambridge and Canterbury rank up there. Manchester's stupidly important; but honestly I think that London has them all beat just for sheer quantity. Tons of bands from there, even if we're not counting the ones that weren't originally from London, are extremely important overall, and it has all other cities beat on sheer numbers. A tough choice for sure.

>>74687862
Peeps don't know much about the Canterbury scene, but missing it is a mistake, at the very least Soft Machine has to be considered.

>>74687999
Swervedriver comes from there too.

>>74688020
Sheffield has... Arctic Monkeys, Pulp, Human League, Def Lepard and Bring Me The Horizon. Honestly, that's what you get for being from Sheffield.
>>
>>74687745
Where were the Zombies from?
Also Londion and Manchester
>>
>>74688306
London is so influential that just one area of west London - Shepherd's Bush - produced the Sex Pistols, the Who, the Clash, the Libertines, Babyshambles and Bush.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.