[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

thoughts?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 174
Thread images: 13

File: qQQRXbR.jpg (51KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
qQQRXbR.jpg
51KB, 800x800px
thoughts?
>>
File: IMG_1812.jpg (38KB, 268x268px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1812.jpg
38KB, 268x268px
>>74632539
Wtf! I fell for the meme and it's actually good. It's like Brand New with trap beats
>>
it's a slow burn, definitely more mature than their previous albums.

wasn't really sure what to think after the first listen, but after the third listen it's either on par with TDAG or better
>>
>>74632539
Need to listen through more.

Listened to it straight through with some nice headphones and I really liked it. I can definitely see it growing on me
>>
Waste and Same Logic are the best songs on it IMO
>>
Best album, can't get it out, same logic, waste, no control are the best
>>
>>74632539
AOTY for me, at least for now, waiting for The National, Björk, LCD Soundsystem, The War on Drugs and Godspeed
>>
It feels so good when an artist surprise releases their album but it feels infinitely better when it's as good as this one is.
>>
>>74632610
Better than brand new tbqhwyf
>>
>>74632539
Where can I listen to this?
>>
>>74633665
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfWMqgm94bs
>>
>>74632539
AOTY
>>
Going to listen to it now. Will it make me feel like shit?
>>
>>74634795
Yes.
>>
>>74634809
Perfect
>>
Gets better with every listen desu
>>
>>74632539

It's good. Better than Daisy, Deja, and YFW.

Still not as good as The Devil & God
>>
>>74632610
Personally, that album is a NOT GOOD out of 10 but that's just my opinion

>>74633077
Good taste all around, friendo

>>74634854
This. I was mostly drawn into the listening to new Brand New on the first listen, but it feels like it gets more personal and alluring with each listen.

Also,
Daisy = SF > D&G >> Deja > YFW
Yes, I know I'm gonna be alone in this ranking
>>
every album was getting more despondent and bleak until this one.
>>
When I first heard it I thought it was their worst
I kept listening to the songs I really liked and tried again, I'm thinking it has potential to be one of their best
Fav songs are Lit Me Up, Can't Get It Out, 137

The lyrics for Can't Get It Out hit me in the feels
>>
The speech samples in 137 are so fucking eerie I love it
>>
>>74635169
Nah man I agree, Daisy kicks ass
>>
this album saved this decade and it's literally AOTD atm. it sounds like Radiohead which made emo album
>>
>>74635420
radiohead is one of my favorite bands and you're retarded
>>
>>74635190
This album just reminds you of when shit was bleak and brings back those bleak memories.
>>
>>74635520
stfu. i love Radiohead too, but AMSP isn't album of the decade and Brand New - Science Fiction is better than kendricklamars and other shitty rap etc
>>
>>74635762
>>74635420
Why the fuck are you dumbasses comparing this album to any shit that comes to your mind?
>>
>>74635995
it's very important to compare this album to the best albums of this decade because it can be in top3 2010s
>>
>>74636057
not him, but that makes no sense and this album sounds nothing like radiohead
>>
It's garbage. Stop posting shit for middleschoolers
>>
aotysf, beating out slowdive and fleet foxes for me.
>>
Every album they've put out has been their best imo. Album of the Year.
>>
solid album desu.
not as exciting or explosive as D&G.
But still a prett great album with mellower sound.

Waste is a fucking great track.
>>
>>74632539
Not very good. It's just too bland musically.
Like, every single strum on a guitar on this album is placed exactly on the downbeat, there's nothing ever inbetween, no interesting musical ideas, every song has the same structure... The moment a song ends i forget about it. I listened to this full thing 2 times now and i think the only melody from this entire album i can recall is from the final track, simply because nothing comes after.
>>
>>74636475
>slowdive
As if that's tough to beat
>>
>>74632539
best album art of 2017
>>
9.8/10
>>
>>74632539

Better than Daisy, which is not hard. Deja = TDAG > Scifi > YFW >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Daisy
>>
Is it true that those mystery CDs people received with everything as one track is a different/rougher mix?
>>
Solid, glad they didn't break up.
>>
>>74637559
no, when has anything like that been true
>>
>>74637819
I just read it and wouldn't be surprised. When they released those remasters of the leaked demos there were two versions of No Body Moves.
>>
>>74635169
Correct ranking
>>74637191
Absolutely disgusting ranking
>>
>>74637860
that'd be cool and might be true but it strikes me as that type of rumor that spreads everytime an album doesnt live up to their expectations, like with the king of limbs and DAMN
>>
>>74638080
I'm sure it'd be easy enough to test, there must be one of them uploaded somewhere.
>>
a o t y
>>
>>74632539
It's pr good
>>
>>74632539
When this album is great it can be some of the best music theyve made.
When this album is okay its sorta just meh.

Its definitely a pretty great album some of these tracks are just so good. And I wasn't expecting them to take this direction at all after I am a nightmare and some of their talk, though im glad at how jarring and dark it gets. It was worth the wait and if its their last im not disappointed
>>
File: 1492989239378.png (194KB, 500x623px) Image search: [Google]
1492989239378.png
194KB, 500x623px
I was pleasantly surprised after the last few lackluster singles they released, and there are a handful of tracks that I really enjoy. Can't Get It Out sounds like it could be right off of Deja Entendu, and 451 is a fun bluesy romp - kind of a Daisy callback. Jesse delivers what I think is his most consistent vocal performance yet, the production is stellar, and the guitar work is probably some of their tightest ever.

Unfortunately, there just aren't enough new ideas on the album, and many tracks don't really go anywhere when I expected them to kick things into overdrive (No Control, Same Logic, Desert, Waste). Batter Up was especially disappointing given its length. Could Never Be Heaven sounds like filler.

6/10 for me. Devil and God is my favorite and I just miss the aggression. Glad they're back though
>>
>>74640569
Same logic sorta reminds me of fork and knife ans desert is perfect as is with the acoustic end

Id agree no control had an opportunity to kick things into overdrive and batter up is probably their worst outro single to any of their albums but fits the album itself well.
>>
>>74632539
Let's all go play Nagasaki
We can all get vaporised
Hold my hand, let's turn to ash
I'll see you on the other side

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>74632653
I agree. Just finished my 4th listen and each time its grown and grown.
>>
>>74640569
>Can't Get It Out sounds like it could be right off of Deja Entendu

It's better than anything out of Deja Entendu.
>>
Damn this was my full listen of Brand New album.

I utterly hated Deja Entendu, but I really like this.
Listening to The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me, much better as well, not sure what I do not like about Deja Etendu.
>>
dl link?
>>
>>74641233
Deja Entendu still has some pop punk in it. I also only like TDaG and beyond. Listen to Daisy too. They've been a great band since TDaG.
>>
Definitely blows the hell out of Daisy
Not sure if I like it over TDAG and Deja yet though.
>>
>>74642151
It's definitely a grower though.

Still think the Flotation Toy Warning album is AOTY though
>>
>>74641233
Deja Entendu they still were in their juvenile phase, kinda caught between their straight high schoolish pop punk on YFW and the bleaker emo rock of D&G.
>>
>when band drops AOTY out of nowhere
>>
>>74642068
>>74642511
It's a shame, because for how much I dislike Deja Entendu, I utterly love its opening track, it seems much more mature rather than rest of the album, I feel like Tauto is foreshadowing for the greatness that was about to come in the next records.
>>
On the first listen now and it's pretty good. I'm taken aback by how mellow it is and how little quietLOUD moments there are which I always just expect from their music. This is like Brand New doing a Slowcore album like how Daisy was Brand New doing a 90s post-hardcore album.

And now that they've put out a new album, Glassjaw is all that's left. Fifteen years and counting since Worship and Tribute.
>>
Real talk guys

In I Can't Get It Out

is the lyric "I'm just a manic depressive" or "Not just a manic depressive"?

This is boggling my mind. This changes the context of the song and I need the actual lyric.
>>
>>74642565
Deja just kinda works for me I guess
>>
>>74642565
I'm not the biggest fan of Deja but fuck me can I jam to Guernica any time.
>>
What's best track in your opinion?
>>
>>74642896
Same Logic/Teeth
>>
Downloaded it just for the cover DESU
>>
>>74642896
Can't pick quite yet, but it's gonna end up being Lit Me Up, Same Logic/Teeth, In The Water, or 451 simply because that ending makes me feel like I'm having a celebration of Daisy and D&G
>>
>>74642896
Lit Me Up, 137, In The Water top 3
>>
>>74642896
In The Water for me
>>
>>74643016
Actually changing my mind
No Control
>>
>>74642896
Batter Up
>>
>>74643041
Hold me down
Underwater and don’t let me up again
>>
File: 1503102118237.jpg (73KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1503102118237.jpg
73KB, 720x720px
Thought it was funny that considering its name, No Control kept things pretty tame

All of the disconnected outros they used were super interesting. I wonder what they were going for, but it seems to fit the bipolar vibe of their work. Especially Out of Mana, what the fuck was that about

This is also the most self-referential album they've made since Deja. Batter Up is so brutal because there is no emotional release, just resignation. If this is the last bn album, I can't think of a better way to end it
>>
>>74642896
Could Never Be Heaven
>>
>>74642896
>>
>>74642577
Not sure about that either. But the best lyric in that song is "Got my messiah impression. I think I got it nailed down."
>>
>>74637103
agreed
>>
File: hedidit.png (1MB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
hedidit.png
1MB, 1366x768px
>>
this album is boring as fuck
>>
>>74642896
Batter Up
>>
File: 1494189325202.png (17KB, 418x359px) Image search: [Google]
1494189325202.png
17KB, 418x359px
>>74632610
>>
Really enjoying the eerie samples and interludes. They remind me of Godspeed, especially the intro. The more I listen to it, the more they seem to complement the atmosphere even when they are just jamming. Definitely turning into one of my faves of the year. Daisy is the only album I haven't listened to by them but I heard it has similar vocal samples. Gonna check that out next.
>>
>>74632539
I cant believe that people actually like this garbage. more overrated than kendrick lamar - damn
>>
>>74645721
>Daisy is the only album I haven't listened to by them but I heard it has similar vocal samples
It has some old song as intro and outro also it uses the sample Brand New used on Out Of The Water
>>
>>74632539
6/10 desu
>>
split w/ safety in numbers > yfw > science fiction >= d&g > deja entendu > daisy
>>
>>74645824
>rating the split (one song, one cover)
>not rating leaked demos
>>
>>74645851
the two songs on the split are both 10/10s

desu i never listened to the demos in full lol
>>
>>74645862
>>74645862
Moshi Moshi is 10/10
Am I Wrong is 8,5/10 but it's a cover so it only
>>
WHERE DA LINK?
>>
My rankings for their previous albums:

1. Daisy
2. Devil

Power gap

3. Deja

Poooooowwer gap

4. YFW

I'm not sure how to feel. Daisy was awful to me on the first listen but now it's a 10/10 and one of my favorites of all time. Each of their new albums presented a shift from their previous efforts, and I enjoyed the different sounds offered. SF, on the other hand, feels like something familiar instead of fresh. Almost like a mash up of devil and Daisy. Not a bad thing, but not a stylistic evolution, either. Parts of the album were excellent and others underwhelming. At the peaks, they really shine, but there are a few valleys as well. Instrumentally there were quite a few stellar moments, and I may need more time to marinate on the lyrical content. Perhaps, this just needs time to grow on me, but as of right now I give it a solid 7.75/10. I will say that I'm eager to jump in again after the first listen.
>>
>>74645914
poor yfw :(
>>
>>74645911
steal mommy's credit card its only $9 she won't know
>>
>>74645949

I still liked it but it's pretty juvenile in comparison. Good pop punk but immature at the same time. Most of deja is immature as well. I don't take their first two albums very seriously, despite enjoying them.
>>
Listening to it right now. Seems like a much mellower version of their previous works. Song writing feels more mature imo. Almost like late 20's/early 30s melancholic feeling.
>>
took them too long to release it
I would've been excited maybe 3-4 years ago
>>
Desert is super underrated. It's placement in the album is perfect too.
>>
>>74646144
>I seen those boys kissing boys
>With their mouth in the street
>But I raised my son to be a righteous man
>I made it clear to him what fear of God means
Based
>>
This whole album is kind of bad. It's "decent" until you get to In The Water/Desert where it absolutely dies.

Lit Me Up, Out of Mana, and No Control are alright. None of these are growers either, the best parts of the album are the fucking interludes.

>>74646144
It's not underrated, it's fucking awful.
>>
they'll never top tdag
this is a 7/10 imo
>>
>>74646687

Those are the two worst tracks. Batter up is pretty good.
>>
Waste got me goin
>>
i think this is my favourite brand new album
>>
TDAG > SF > Daisy > Deja Entendu > YFW
>>
Generic pop thrash
>>
>>74649308
this might be it
>>
>>74635107
No Deja > SciFi > tDaGaRiM > YFW > Daisy

And after second listen SciFi maybe best
>>
>>74646687
Your retarded
>>
>>74642896
Can't Get It Out. It has everything I really enjoy about the band and what made me like Devil and God as much as I did; catchy, and with lyrics perfect to dump my own personal interpretation into.

Runner up is Could Never Be Heaven, the bridge is fantastic. I also wish the little acoustic end of Out of Mana was made into a full song.

Overall a lot of the album is pretty unremarkable to me however. In the Water and 451 just border on almost bad to me.
>>
>>74641233
Deja Entendu gets really dragged down by some of the pop punk songs on it. Has a GOAT album opener though. TDAG is really good and Daisy is pretty good. Im about to listen to SF for the first time
>>
>>74642565
>>74652496
Good to Know... is the best track on DE
>>
What are your predicted Pitchfork Fantano and Scaruffi scores?
Mine are

strong 8
>>
I'm sad that it's probably going to be their last album, because they were able to mature their songwriting even further without losing their touch. I can't really relate with their early material anymore, and this is exactly what I wanted from them.
>>
>>74652597
I can't relate to Deja, but everything afterwards is pretty relatable.

I also found vocals on Deja pretty obnoxious at points.
>>
So this album got me into Brand New.

This album doesn't even compare to TDAG, imho.
>>
>>74652912
This came out a few days ago. Literally neck yourself redditor.
>>
>>74635169
Actually, that's the objectively correct ranking
>>
>>74646675
Maybe you should try listening to the rest of the song eh?
>>
I've been listening to it again and again and I just can't help but be disappointed. There are moments of excitement, and the lyrics are good, but it just feels like they're on autopilot here. The songs feel a bit directionless and unimaginative, saved only by the brilliant production. If this is really gonna be their last album then I'm hugely disappointed.
>>
the western twang in 137 is so fucking good
>>
>>74654400
To me, it kind of feels like Burst Apart in the sense that it's low-key and "boring" compared to their previous work. I actually kind of like that and would have been disappointed if it was more screaming like Daisy.
>>
>well goddamnit you look so lovely but you sound, sound, sound so ugly

like daisy, it takes a few listens to really let it sink in
>>
>>74646687
kill your self retard
>>
File: 1492240879083.jpg (216KB, 431x300px) Image search: [Google]
1492240879083.jpg
216KB, 431x300px
>>74646687
>the best parts of the album are the fucking interludes
Current titleholder of the most autistically contrarian opinion of this album, anyone think they can beat him?
>>
reminder that if you're under 23 years old you're too young to get this album
>>
>>74632610
it's fucking kino. Gustav did it again
>>
File: boi.png (456KB, 690x665px) Image search: [Google]
boi.png
456KB, 690x665px
>>74652912
>>
>>74645914
This. I don't get people who put Your Favorite Weapon and Deja Entendu anywhere near Daisy and The Devil and God. Those are basically two different bands imo. I also agree that there just isn't a whole lot about this album that surprises me but I think they deliver more of what they perfected in their last two albums.
>>
This album literally flows flawlessly.
>>
>>74654670
I am 23 on the 24th. Can I listen?
>>
>>74654536
All I see is the Nagasaki lyrics but the ones you posted are my favourite on the album.
>>
>>74655159
no
>>
>>74654955
YFW I understand, but Deja has its charms that you can definitely see expressed fully in Dev/God. Songs like MvMvE and Play Crack the Sky have these merits. The sound is still unfortunately heavy in the pop punk elements, but I wouldn't say Deja is bad.
>>
File: 1490400923613.jpg (60KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1490400923613.jpg
60KB, 960x720px
its kino without a doubt, im just sad this is their last album
>>
>Chris Payne of Billboard gave the album a positive review, declaring that it is"more a part of a lineage of constantly-shape-shifting, steadfastly fascinating experimental rock bands, which famously includes Radiohead, but also the likes of Talk Talk, Swans, the Fall and a disparate many others."[19]

>Shillboard comparing Brand New to Talk Talk, Swans and The Fall
I like the band but I think I'm going to be sick
>>
>>74655210
The actually songs on Deja are great, the sound of the album has just aged poorly. Tommy Gun completely rips live.
>>
>>74637819
quite often actually, are you kidding
>>
>>74655854
yea that's pretty bad
>>
I went in and clicked around. I kinda have the feeling I am going to like it the more I listen to it. Kinda like how some people needed to listen to Daisy a few times to realize that it is actually a solid album just not as solid as the one before. but still solid for what they were trying to achieve. they kinda sound grown up af tho, as mentioned above. I was really hoping for the character build-up and explosion as in tdgrm, but it's not in this album. I've been a solid BN fan since 2001. was my freshman year in HS. seen them a few time fuck they know how to play a live show, and YWK live gives me the chills.

Your welcome clicks it n chill. this is great live
https://youtu.be/fl7xKDL0il0
>>
>>74655854
yeah they're better all three of those memebands
>>
>>74656023
brand new is great, but I don't think they are nearly on the same wavelength of experimentation as those bands.
>>
>>74632539
Listening to it again now. I'd say it's their second best behind D&G for me personally.
>>
>>74642808
Thats my song man.
>lights up smoke
>>
>>74636450
Oh fuck my dude, Brand New's for Middle Schoolers? How's 2003?
>>
>>74642558
> AOTY OUTTA NOWhERE
>>
>>74656171
kek
>>
File: Procrastinate! Music Traders.jpg (6KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
Procrastinate! Music Traders.jpg
6KB, 225x225px
I like the picture. I can't but think the chick in the air is really John Cena anyone want to make it happen?
>>
The album kicks off so much better than it ends.

Batter Up is a good closer but a couple tracks leading up to it didn't resonate with me nearly as much as everything before that. I'm still really digging it with more listens.

A lot of the songs sound familiar, in a good way, and are really catchy. I had a similar reaction when I heard Flower Boy.
>>
>>74632539
did they died?
>>
>>74652290
>and with lyrics perfect to dump my own personal interpretation into.

YES. This is what Devil and God and Daisy had about them that I loved. All the really disturbing Biblical imagery and quirky lyrics just sort of mystified each song and, because there didn't seem to be a set explanation, the ambiguity just makes a lot of the songs more creepy for me.

Deguasser, Archers and You are Not the Sun lost a bit of appeal for me when I realised what exactly each song was about and didn't match up to the weird shit I interpreted them as.

And the best of Daisy is shit like Noro and Sink where I still constantly reconsider what I think they're about.

Tbh the way I listen to the album makes them kinda sisters to one another. The Devil and God is about the shit the narrator is capable of and how, with it being "hard to be the better man when you forget you're trying", he realises that he wants to be a decent man but its also not his nature.

Daisy is like the sequel where, by the end, he's finally given up the pretence of trying to be a decent man and just resigns himself to eating his young and going to hell
>>
>>74656349
anon here asking the hard hitting questions.

(i really hope they are ok)
>>
>>74656349
>>74656372
They're not falling though. They're going up.
> Science Fiction
> Tractor Beam
>>
>>74656394
some people are saying this but I dont think so. It really looks like they are just falling to me. Obviously having jumped from that balcony
>>
>>74656445
he's joking. this was free of the science fiction title for years.
>>
>>74656136
Such an underrated song
>>
>>74656516
has anyone ever heard any of their songs played on the radio? from 2001 to know I have only heard Jesus played on 88.9 (Milwaukee college station) one time ever. I have always told myself that BN is one of those bands that just flew under everyone's radar.
>>
>>74656656
Quiet Things will sometimes end up on emo night playlists for some satellite stations.
I've personally never heard them on FM.
>>
>>74656349
>>74656372
does anybody have the original version of this photo where the license plate doesn't say SOS 666
>>
>>74656801
donno. pretty sure the original photo just had no words or numbers on the plate>>74656245
>>
real release or web "leak"?
>>
>>74645958
YOU WON'T KNOOOOOWWWWWWWWW
>>
>>74646017
So what you're saying is this is exactly the album I need in my life right now?
>>
>>74657039
that picture is too small to tell
>>
>>74656656
I've heard stuff from Deja as well (Milwaukee channel as well) but I haven't heard any other station play them
>>
Who else had a good little chuckle at the "7 years" being repeated and then when I saw the track called "Out of Mana"
>>
Give me one good reason why this album isn't better than TDAG.

I don't see any.
>>
File: thobias.jpg (96KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
thobias.jpg
96KB, 500x500px
the picture from the album cover is by Thobias Fäldt... he has heaps of photos that could make really cool cover art
>>
>>74657496
This reminds me of that video of 2 arab guys driving in the desert where they see some sexy ass witch
>>
>>74636475
Agreed. The bassist is much better on this project than the other two you mentioned.
>>
>>74656656
I heard Sowing Season(Yeah) multiple times on Milwaukee stations and some satellite radio ones.
>>
>>74657791
really? I could see maybe satellite but not any local stations besides 88.9
>>
>>74632610
I want this meme to end
Thread posts: 174
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.