[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/p4k/ - Nightly Pitchfork Countdown Hypetrain Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 2

File: 1am Topic.png (103KB, 418x455px) Image search: [Google]
1am Topic.png
103KB, 418x455px
Fellow Pitchfork patricians, it is once again the time for our nightly countdown for Pitchfork's new reviews to be updated on the site at 1am eastern time.
10.0?
0.0?
Best New Music?
Best New Reissue?
8.0+ with no BNM?
A shitty set of 7's and below?
Weird Al’s eternal BNM incoming hypetrain!
Noctourniquetcourtsney Barnett Review?
Ian FUCKIN' Cohen?
Ryan "THE TASTEMAKER" Dombal?
Jayson "8.7" Greene?
Lindsay "qt feminist" Zoladz? [retired patrician, memory lives on forever]
Brandon “Meme Metal” Stosuy? [retired]
Grayson "Grizzly" Currin?
Brian "Backup" Howe?
Mark "the elder statesman" Richardson?
Evan "IS GARAGE ROCK DEAD" Minsker?
Andy "secretly alpha" Beta?
Zoe "¡DALE!" Camp?
Philip "Electronic Wizard” Sherburne?
Stephen "M." Deusner?
Laura "Sun Kil Buffoon" Snapes?
Jenn "Best New Tastemaker" Pelly
Marc "Not Mark" Hogan
KRIS "Meme Rap" EX
Jillian "they don't love you like I love you" Mapes
Kevin "who needs TMT anyways" Lozano

Will someone dethrone Kendrick Lamar’s 9.2 for AOTY?

OFFICIAL and accurate 2017 BNM Tally: 30
Nights since last BNM: 23

The most wonderful time of the night, every night, right now. Here it is, the nightly P4K thread. Time to get comfy.

>P4K Collection Rar (Over 300 deleted reviews, pics of every staff member, now slightly updated)
https://mega.nz/#!IkITCb5K!Nq3IGPLLNaGxaLZMiWRl0LF0ws77D_E4FO2eO4N1kwg

>Tonight's Top Stories
-This thread stands with Kesha eternally
-Will we ever get another BNM?
-This thread hypes and supports DIIV and each & every poster here
-/p4k/ forever
>>
end this thread and then end your lfe.
>>
>>74618755
this but unironically
>>
Been out of the loop. Any good BNM's lately or expected soon?
>>
>>74618875
its been almost a month since the last bnm but grizzly bear, brand new, alice glass, and king gizzard all released shit today so there's hope
>>
what do you think they're going to give Painted Ruins? I think they're going to pan it for some reason. I'm gonna guess a 7.5
>>
>>74619001
It's getting a 9 something
>>
>>74619001
They've been giving a lot of ideal BNM albums high 7's this year, for some reason. Father John Misty and Dirty Projectors should have been shoe-ins for BNM, and they dropped the ball. They haven't even given Grizzly Bear a BNT for this album yet, so I'm guessing 8.0, no BNM.
>>
>>74618914
New King Gizzard?! Man, for a band I love they're hard to keep up with. They release more albums than Gucci Mane drops mixtapes
>>
>>74619001
>>74619117
desu, i wouldn't mind if they did the whole 7.2 - 7.8 treatment for painted ruins. it's really sanitized and boring imo, and a truly disappointing step down from the veckatimest and yellow house days.

>>74619122
yeah, earlier this year they had a goal to release four or five albums this year, and i think they recently said that they won't be able to do a fifth one this year but are hoping to drop one more before the year ends
>>
>>74617991
Thanks shill
To any non shills, do any of you check p4k daily? These threads get me to check like once a month if I happen t be on /mu/ when I should be asleep.
>>
7.3 for grizzly bear? Pitchfork really does hate indie rock now don't they. They're basically a pop and hip hop website now.
>>
damn i can't believe painted ruins is just as good as lil peep
>>
>>74619353
Fleet Foxes got 8.7 BNM and their album was just as knotty and complex as Grizzy's, but executed much better
>>
2 points off. close enough. knew they would do this.
>>
>>74619347
Used to check a lot. Toned it down but still check P4K and other publications for new music
>>
>>74619353
indie is dead, grandpa
if you're not listening to top 40 radio pop what r u even doing with ur life lmao
>>
was everything everything really that disappointing? haven't downloaded yet.
>>
>>74619414
grizzly bear is great, pitchfork are haters
>>
>>74619353
The Conde Nasting is complete.

Long live Bieber, Kesha and shitty rando trap rapper number 1 billion
>>
They're out of their fucking mind with this 7.3 bullshit.
>>
>>74619414
Not really, it's a step down from Get To Heaven, but it's still a solid album
>>
>>74619444

amazing to think that pitchfork used to be pretty pretentious (into really obscure/weird shit) and a decent source for underground shit. Now it's literally just regurgitating thinkpieces on how Generic Pop/Rap Star #1042 is actually teh voice of the millenials
>>
>>74619449
Are they? After a few listen to it it definitely feels like a lesser work compared to their past 3 albums
>>
>>74619494
I think it's a refinement and is at least as good as their last 3. It's definitely better than fucking lil peep i mean come on
>>
>>74619486
They lost it when they stopped letting Marc, Grayson, and Evan write features on whatever underground shit they were digging.
>>
>>74619486
>tfw you will never relive the glory days of Pitchfork and discovering new obscure indie shit like The Books and god knows how what else
>>
>>74619494
I'm only on my first listen, but it seems more consistent than Shields
>>
>>74619486
I know.

They were always stuck up their own ass and thought they were way smarter than they actually ever were, but at least that pretentiousness generally lent to pretty good taste. I used to really like most things that were scored BNM and it used to be a sign of a must listen for me. I haven't gone out of my way to check out BNM in at least 2-3 years now though.

Pitchfork is just millennial Rolling Stone at this point and it's a bummer.
>>
>>74619494
It is, but that's moreso because those albums were really good. Yellow House, Veckatimest, Shields were all solid 9's in my book while this one is more of an 8, but it's still a very good album and my favorite thing to come out this year at this point.
>>
>>74619516
Who was their metal guy? He's gone now too.
>>
>>74619577
Agreed, easily top 5 for this year so far.

Honestly might like it more than Shields desu
>>
>>74619547
>Pitchfork is just millennial Rolling Stone at this point and it's a bummer.

this is EXACTLY how i feel. It's incredible how much they've changed. Why even bother reading them when you can just check the billboard charts?
>>
>the days of Chris Ott reviews followed by him shitposting on the OG Pitchfork boards are long gone
I want to go back
>>
>>74619590
Brandon Stosuy? Yeah he was good and now he's at the creative independent, which is a pretty cool musician interview site iirc
>>
>>74619594
Yep. If anything is modern-p4k's version of indie rock, it's "literally who" tier trap rap.

Why do they need to review or have features about Gaga or Kesha or Bieber or whoever the fuck? That shit wouldn't have even been on their radar before Condé Nast. Literally every other big music website covers that shit until it's beaten in the ground, it was cool that Pitchfork was the one site I could read and avoid most big name pop star bullshit.
>>
>>74619710
yeah it's disappointing. There are other decent blogs for weird/indie music out there, but nothing leads the underground music conversation the way old pitchfork used to.
>>
File: IMG_1821.png (2MB, 1048x1196px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1821.png
2MB, 1048x1196px
>>74619353
>>74619366
>>74619426
>>74619449
LIL BO PEEP WITH A BRAND NEW BITCH
>>
>>74619710
They've been reviewing pop long before Condé Nast, anon. They review albums they think is worth reviewing, be it good, average, or awful.
>>
>>74619769
sure, but you can't deny that their focus has shifted towards the mainstream in the last few years.
>>
>>74619749
Yeah p4k used to get a lot of access thanks to their size and influence the way the rest of the indie/alternative/underground music blogs can't. Plus most of those blogs were in essence just kind of trying to be junior pitchforks anyway.

I just miss indie music being a thing, it sucks man.
>>
>>74619794
It's still a thing, there just is no longer a really outspoken champion of the scene and/or genre anymore.

It just feels a lot more disparate and loose as compared to before.
>>
>>74619794
yeah it's a huge bummer. The poptimists won, I guess. Although truth be told, I think there's still just as much great music out there...it just doesn't get the attention it deserves
>>
>>74619769
They had a handful they would give attention to sure, but I don't recall them giving reviews to those artists mentioned until the last year or two. I don't think they even reviewed Beyonce until the self titled album.

Even then, when they would review a random big new pop release, it would be the review and that was it. They wouldn't run a bunch of features and news articles about every top 40 star the way they do now.
>>
>>74619815
I think it deserves to be championed and boosted the way they used to, is the thing that's a bummer.
>>74619818
Yeah that's what I'm saying
>>
>>74619836
I agree, and I know many feel the same way too.

I grew up with the OG indie golden days and I fucking miss it. Discovering shit like Sung Tongs or whatever was amazing then when I was a teen, and today as you said there isn't a big enough voice to bring stuff like that to the attention of many.
>>
>>74617991
A Fever Dream is such a fucking good album man. I can sense some serious thing going around Everything Everything with every album. They are like a radiohead for the internet-based generation. They have this really good stamina to hit hard when they have to but also the strenght of make you emotional.
It makes me cringe how much pitchfork hates them. Get To Heaven was easily a 8.5+ for me.
It's incredible how hard they try to shit on them even if their music is praised by everyone not around them.
They are so delusional and so obvious with their bias against newer english bands that you can see a black gay rnb dick inside their ass from miles away.
>>
>>74619919
Totally. When's the last time pitchfork discovered and popularized a creative, unique artist like animal collective in the days of old? Nowadays they just kinda glom on to whatever is popular. They're not discovering anything new.
>>
>>74619919
And it's not even just a thing where it's about "I want people to like the thing I like", those bands were able to grow an audience and do bigger things thanks to the success that P4k played a large part in. I wonder how long many of those bands could've stuck together or what they would've been able to do without the larger audience Pitchfork used to give to artists like that.
>>
back in the day people used to criticize pitchfork for not reviewing enough pop, hip hop, and RnB...my how times change
>>
>>74619980
You can go way back and PF were even praising Here Comes the Indian and had it on their best of the year list.

Like, who the fuck else was championing Animal Collective before Sung Tongs. Pitchfork was, imagine them bringing an artist like that to light nowadays...instead too busy pushing articles on Kesha and whatever else. Its a fucking shame.
>>
daily reminder fantano is more relevant than p4k
>>
>>74620029
Yeah, probably
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.