[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to get the most out of Spotify?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: unnamed.png (17KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
17KB, 300x300px
I've used spotify before but commited to a long premium for the first time and got a new account to start fresh.

I'm wondering if people here know how to work the algorithm as effectively as possible. I understand that just by listening to music over time it will learn my taste but I'd like to have some additional control and tailor my suggestions as well as possible.

I searched for some of my favourite artists and followed them. I understand that following primarily serves to notify me of new content but does it also give them a boost on my "listening profile"? Should I play some of my favourite albums from the past few years on mute if I don't really want to listen to them but want to find similiar music? Does adding a song to my library weigh it heavier than just listening? Does adding do anything if I don't even listen to it? Does it make a difference if I skip a song after 10 seconds compared to listening the whole thing? Is there anything I can do if I hear a song that I absolutely hate? Any way to listen to songs I know are shit out of morbid curiosity without it factoring into my suggestions?

If you have any other tips not explicitly answering above questions I'd still love to hear them. Or just general tips on how to find good music, I found the discovery queue and artist's pick recommendations but that's about how far I've gotten. Not really looking for "check out this playlist" more universal tips on how to game the system based on my personal taste.
>>
>>74602244
Do you know about the Discover Weekly and Release Radar playlists?
>>
>>74602342
I know about Discover Weekly but I haven't heard of the other one, I'll google that. I also found out that pressing "next" within 30s to a track is considered a "thumbs down".
>>
>>74602430
Release Radar is updated every Friday and it focuses on music that's been released in the past few weeks. Like Discover Weekly it is unique to your profile.

If you follow an artist, their new music will always appear in the playlist. I'm not a huge playlist guy, but it's a nice way to keep up with new releases.
>>
EZBlocker – Spotify Ad Blocker
can't download but no ads anymore
>>
>>74602508
does this work with the desktop version?
>>
Just use last.fm
>>
>>74602493
>I'm not a huge playlist guy
Me neither, but so far I've just used it as a library to search albums from and I feel like I'm not using it to its full potential. I'm fascinated by the possibility of finding new artists automatically, sort of like how audioscrobbler did it in the early 2000s but better. I'll still listen to full albums but for discovery single tracks are fine, I can usually tell if I'm interested in finding their albums based on one song.
>>74602508
I get premium for 4.99 so it's no big deal and I have to say I'd probably pay full price anyway after seeing how the service has developed. Back in 2009 or whenever I last tried it I couldn't justify paying for premium.
>>
>>74602724
I did, a decade ago. Finding new music by the means of seeing a suggestion, downloading an album and listening felt great in 2006 but these days it's just ridiculously cumbersome. Especially if I'm not home.
>>
>>74602747
I do more or less the same. I'll spend a bit of time going through the playlists each week and I'll add any song I like to a backlog playlist, which I use to listen to new albums.

The discover weekly playlist is biased pretty heavily to recent listening by the way.
>>
>>74602843
>I'll add any song I like to a backlog playlist
Have you heard of this? https://ifttt.com/applets/28689208d-discover-weekly-archive
Automatically archives Discover Weekly so it won't disappear when you get a new one.
>>
>>74602724
is this real life?

Last.fm is still nice for tracking what you've been listening to, but Spotify is now much better for discovering music

Release Radar may have a lot of junk like compilations and rereleases in it if you listen to a lot of older artists, but Discover Weekly has been pretty good for me - I guess if you a lot of music listening outside of Spotify you can get music you already listen to recommended, so maximizing your music listening through Spotify improves Discover Weekly

I like the Related Artists -feature in general, but pretty quickly it's going to be full of familiar names if you're not checking out a totally new genre - I'd actually really like to see some sort of "Similar Albums" -feature like Allmusic.com has when looking at an album page
>>
>>74602244
Not related but does anyone know why an artist shouldn't appear in my Daily Mixes? It's the band I listen the most and I don't think I've ever seen it in one of them.
>>
>>74603046
Could the algorith deem it too familiar to you? No point in recommending it if it's already your most played artist. I'm only guessing here.
>>
If there's a certain genre you're really into, search "the sound of (genre)" and one of the Particle Detector playlists should come up (their playlists aren't all-encompassing but they're extensive)

The "sound of" playlist is basically an entry level playlist into the genre, but more interestingly...

From there, there are the Pulse and Edge versions of the playlists; the Pulse playlist consists of what songs dedicated listeners of that genre have been playing a lot of, the Edge playlist is new music within that genre that's starting to get traction. The algorithm at the center of these playlists doesn't always get it right (I've come across music from entirely disparate styles of music before) but I've made some good discoveries using these.
>>
>>74603724
Thanks. The spotify search only turned up some generic "sound of pop" playlists but I searched for Particle Detector specifically and he seems to have playlists that are very stricly confined which is nice since my taste is pretty eclectic.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.