[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's your honest opinion of this guy?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

File: weird-al-1989.jpg (595KB, 1024x639px) Image search: [Google]
weird-al-1989.jpg
595KB, 1024x639px
What's your honest opinion of this guy?
>>
he was the first musician I took interest in so I appreciate him for that
>>
he's a legend
>>
He tries too hard but he's a cool dude
>>
I think we've all had a phase where we liked Weird Al. He's a swell guy.
>>
>>74597034
Weird Al is great. UHF is an underrated movie too.
>>
>>74597034
i applaud him for being the premier parody musician for over 30 years. that's genuinely impressive given parody acts should get old before a carton of milk does

>>74597094
>He tries too hard
explain
>>
>>74597034
I went through a Weird Al phase in 8th grade. He's a cool dude, and his music, while aimed towards kids, still remains funny to me to this day.
>>
While his parodies are fun, where Yankovic really shines is when he writes a song in the style of another artist. I feel like he was able to imitate The Beach Boys, Foo Fighters, and They Might Be Giants for example on "Pancreas," "My Own Eyes," and "Everything You Know is Wrong" for example.
>>
>>74597034
He did Devo better than Devo.

https://youtu.be/SMhwddNQSWQ
>>
I saw Weird Al in a grocery store in Los Angeles yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything. He said, “Oh! Thank you very much!” I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and playing his accordion and making me laugh really hard. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him blow a whistle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw Weird Al trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Make A Wish kids while everyone else cheered and sang the "Amish Paradise" while holding candles.The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you are a beacon of light on an otherwise stormy day. Please play us a song!” At first he pretending to be tired and not hear her, but after he helped an elderly couple put their groceries into the back of their mid-sized sedan, he came back around and played "Another One Rides the Bus" 15 times in a row because people wouldn't stop requesting it.
>>
Unironically a great song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t6hagxzSdw

Albuquerque is also one of his best original songs
>>
>>74597819
Woah he sounds like a pretty cool guy and doesn't afraid of anything
>>
The first person I saw in concert
>>
he's a nice guy and able musician, but I have real trouble understanding why such a person would devote their life to throwaway music
>>
>>74597829
hardware store is genuinely amazing

my favorite originals would have to be Genius in France and Jackson Park Express though. I love Zappa and Cat Stevens and both are spot fucking on when it comes to both. His "style parodies" are less parody and more loving tribute to artists he enjoys and admires and you can really tell
>>
>>74597902
Because it's fun
>>
>>74597902
i doubt that was his plan, but it happened that way i suppose
>>
>>74597946
yeah I just feel like music is a way to express and communicate feelings and turning it into a joke as a career would really wear me down
I mean I admire the guy's professionalism and all, but maybe that's why he calls himself weird
>>
comedy music is shit and for dorks
>>
File: Dude Guys Stop.jpg (6KB, 250x226px) Image search: [Google]
Dude Guys Stop.jpg
6KB, 250x226px
>>74597998
>>
>>74597515
best song he ever made
>>
>>74597990
you take music too seriously
>>
>>74598035
look I like a good novelty song now and again but cranking them out for decades would probably make me want to kill myself
has he ever done serious music? I'd like to hear it
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8Ow1nlafOg

prob my favourite
>>
>>74597819
best version of this pasta
>>
It's impressive how little hate Weird Al gets on here.
>>
>>74598090
well he is the nicest guy in showbiz, so....
>>
>>74598065
I'd be very interested in seeing Al's attempt at "serious" music too, maybe when he reaches 60 he'll retire from releasing parodies and novelty songs and make Zappa-esque avant-pop tunes
>>
Even though I don't listen to his music very much any more, every time I do I enjoy myself. He's actually pretty talented (more than many mainstream acts that make it big), funny and a genuine guy. What's not to like?

I'll always remember when my friend let me borrow his weird al DVD when I was 12.
>>
File: christgau1med.jpg (18KB, 400x266px) Image search: [Google]
christgau1med.jpg
18KB, 400x266px
In 3-D [Rock 'n' Roll, 1984]

I don't want to belabor the obvious (that's Al's job), but this is Mad for the ears. Still, Mad does hit dead on now and then, and with a lot of help from its target so does "Eat It." Palatable follow-ups: the free-swinging "Polkas on 45," which goes Joe Piscopo ten better, and "Mr. Popeil," which exploits Yankovic's otherwise fatal resemblance to Fred Schneider. C+
>>
>>74597034
Absolutley deserves to be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Surprising vocal range. Lyrics are clever for his target audience (age 8-12), hell of a lot better than Raffi for children's music.

Seems like the nicest dude in the world to boot. Probably secretly homosexual.
>>
Better than his pigeon hole.
>>
File: 1470031290626.png (257KB, 337x367px) Image search: [Google]
1470031290626.png
257KB, 337x367px
>>74599135

This is the final nail in the coffin for this faggot. Insufferable.
>>
https://youtu.be/BvUZijEuNDQ

If you don't like this then don't come 'round here no more.
>>
>>74597427
"Dare to be Stupid" was based on Devo I'm pretty sure. Plus, it was used in Transformers 1986 which just adds to the enjoyment factor for me.
>>
'member that time did a song with our brian?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ODIRDJZbWQ&fmt=18
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS8Hi-HAIgs
Best Al comin through
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KThlYHfIVa8
Another classic
>>
>>74597303
UHF was basically youtube before youtube existed.
>>
>>74597384
Basically that anon thinks anyone who attempts anything without ironic detachment is a tryhard.
>>
My Pancreas is a great song
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.