[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Damon Albarn: Blur or Gorillaz?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: images (3).jpg (13KB, 194x260px) Image search: [Google]
images (3).jpg
13KB, 194x260px
So I really enjoy Damon Albarn's music. It's always weird and generally nice to listen to. But the question remains about Albarn.

Which is better?

Blur or Gorillaz?

Gorillaz is an important band that brought in a new wave of experimental music in the early 2000's, but Albarn would never have gotten to that point without Blur.

So, which one does /mu/ prefer? I'm curious.

Pic unrelated.
>>
Blur was part of the Britpop movement and it's still a good band but Gorillaz really fucked up with Humanz, he's forcing too much this experimentation thing.
>>
>>74581352
Humanz isn't even experimentation, Albarn literally sold out and is just making music that sounds like every other club banger on that album. To add insult to injury, Sleeping Powder, which came out about a month after Humanz, sounds what Gorillaz actually should sound like which is just proof that Albarn is just making music to appeal to the kids by being hip
>>
File: damon meets a fan.jpg (333KB, 633x1024px) Image search: [Google]
damon meets a fan.jpg
333KB, 633x1024px
I like both.
I like blur cause it reminds me of being a kid and thinking British things were cool.
Damon has always experimented, blurs first album has a lot of shoegaze and madchester elements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxFOaoJuP5E

Blur obviously never made it big in america beyond the woo hoo song. Which was actually a parody of grunge music ironically.
Damon and blur fucking hated america. If you read about their history they has a disastrous american tour and grew to fucking hate america.

Gorrliaz was a smart move, damon is a 50 year old britpop dude but he is still relavnt in 2017 and gorrlliaz is obviously way bigger globally and in america than blur ever were.

If you look up how he created the idea of gorrlliaz its the most cynical thing on the planet.
>>
>>74581430

I don't remember Albarn or any of Blur growing to hate America or Americans.

Do you have any direct references for that statement?

Also, the song is called Song 2.
>>
>>74581505
Dude, britpop was a direct attack against everything american and grunge.

>The 44-date tour of the United States left Blur in "complete disarray", according to writer David Cavanagh.[1] Dismayed by American audiences' infatuation with grunge and the lacklustre response to their music, the group frequently drank, and members often broke into fist-fights with one another. Homesick, the tour "instilled in the band a contempt for everything American", Cavanagh later wrote;[6] frontman Damon Albarn, who "started to miss really simple things [about England]",[7] listened to a tape of the English pop group the Kinks throughout the tour. Upon their return to England, the group discovered that the attention of the music press had shifted to Suede. The newcomers' success displeased Blur who, in Cavanagh's words, "were inclined to feel that every record Suede sold was an affront to human decency".[1] After many poor live shows, which Blur members often performed while drunk—in particular one at a 1992 gig that featured a well-received performance by Suede on the same bill—Blur were in danger of being dropped by Food
>>
I'm gonna have to go with with Blur. The Great Escape is the best thing Albarn's made to date.
>>
>>74581524
yeah, but he hasn't held a grudge, and neither has the rest of blur.
>>
The muppets are pretty good on gorrilaz. I suppose for the rest of blur's performers they were very grateful for the rest. I do prefer blur, I was having a lousy time when they released their album and it wasn't as good as 13 by blur. Apart from Shaun Ryder who is the best at everything which gets it past the post.
>>
>>74581605
I actually think it was a good thing britpop was against america. I wish it would happen more, and again.
Its the only way another country is going to develop a new culture of their own when american pop culture is so overwhelming
>>
double bump
>>
>>74581291
Blur has a much better discography. So blur.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.