[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is better? Guitar music or electronic music?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 12

File: guitar laptop.jpg (83KB, 800x725px) Image search: [Google]
guitar laptop.jpg
83KB, 800x725px
What is better?

Guitar music or electronic music?
>>
>>74580755
It's just uh your opinion man.
>>
electronic music, objectively.
>>
Depends on how good the musician makes it.
>>
File: images.jpg (9KB, 276x183px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
9KB, 276x183px
>>
question: who is the Jimi Page of synths?
>>
>>74580755
theres more to electronic music instruments than just a computer
>>
>>74580755
Most of the music I like is guitar based, but a lot of it is electronic too, so I guess either can be good. The factor that determines the goodness isn't the instrument itself, but how it's used, what's been composed, the arrangement, etc.
>>
electronic music not created on a computer>acoustic guitar music>>electric guitar music>>>>electronic music created on a computer
>>
File: IMG_0362.jpg (128KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0362.jpg
128KB, 640x960px
>>74580864
Electronic music with guitars...or vice versa!
>>
>>74580755
Yes.
>>
>>74580755
I prefer guitar music, mostly because it's what I grew up with, but there's still a ton of great electronic stuff out there.
>>
Electronic music with guitar riffs is a solid 11/10
>>
Preferably both if it's 100% analog
>>
The past is dead #Electronicteam
>>
Why not both? Just enjoy whatever and stop comparing and rating everything you dweebs, fuck.
>>
>>74580755
Guitar is more technically challenging and harder to play in a live environment.

Electronic music has more potential and requires more theory to master.

The true redpill is that they sound better when used to enhance the other, and neither is "better."
>>
>>74580791
THIS

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_musical_instrument
>>
>>74580781

Ehhh, not really the same thing. Maybe trying to find someone who's the Jimmy Page of KEYS makes more sense (and I think there's plenty of examples there).

But synths are less about immediacy in the way guitars are. There a lot of synth performers who don't even play with keys (look up some vids of modular synth jams).

What makes synths unique is less of a focus on the immediacy of playing, and a lot more to do with sound design and composition. You don't just walk up to a modular synth and "play" it in the same way you just pick up a guitar. Songs tend to build as someone creates a sequence or patch and mutilates it until it forms into a song (hence, more focus on composition). Every sound that comes out of a synth is determined by what patch YOU create. It's not like a digital piano where you choose "synth patch 01" and just play.

tl;dr I've been a guitarist since I was eight years old, and now I play synths too, and it's hard to draw comparisons as more often than not, they are two completelyyyy different things.
>>
>>74580781
Anyone who makes hip hop or plunderphonics and uses a sampler and steals all their music
>>
Isnt an electric guitar electronic?
>>
>>74581852
no, the amplifier is
>>
>>74581852
Only in the sense that electricity is required for the pickups to register sounds from the strings. The strings still physically vibrate and create sound.

Even effects pedals, at least in the early days, affected the actual sound from the guitar by putting it through tubes or some other analog method. It was only in the late 80's that totally digital effects pedals came out.

Basically, electric guitar is electronic, but not digital (unless the guitar player wants it to be). It's very possible (and likely, if you are poorfag), that your electric guitars sound never actually passes through a circuit board of any kind.
>>
>>74581951
There are digital guitars though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2eiP12hQQY

I actually think they could make rock interesting again, although lots of purists dont like the idea of them judging by the dislikes on every video
>>
File: IMG_3149.jpg (45KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3149.jpg
45KB, 500x500px
Neither
>>
>>74581995
whenever I see one of those fucking things I can't help but think of that stupid fucking Muse song
>>
>>74580755
Both, in tandem with one another.
>>
>>74581995
>Real guitar players laugh at you.
WHY are metal listeners such insufferable elitist pricks?
They can't go 10 minutes without mentioning "real music" or how much they hate pop. Half of the time they're not even really enjoying it; just using it to separate themselves from the others. To have something with which to identify. To be able to say, "I'm not like those other girls."
What the fuck gives?
>>
>>74582477

I'm a metalhead, but yeah, I agree. The elitists will be what causes the genre to slip away into that soft goodnight, and into the books of music history. Key word being history.
>>
>>74580919
doof Händyposter
>>
>>74582477
well there isnt anything stopping a musician or rock guy from taking up a digital guitar. There will be backlash but no one can really do anything about it. And in the future people would probably see him as a pioneer.

Just need that one guy to say "fuck it"
>>
>>74582463
Only logical answer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2rv_w944tY
>>
File: seaboard rise 49.png (122KB, 1000x268px) Image search: [Google]
seaboard rise 49.png
122KB, 1000x268px
>>74581995
>Seaboard happens
>Pianists either don't care or are fascinated

>digital guitar happens
>guitarists get assblasted
what did they mean by this?
>>
File: cyberpunk.jpg (136KB, 800x1067px) Image search: [Google]
cyberpunk.jpg
136KB, 800x1067px
>>74582661
music evolves with technology, so the use of digital guitars would create something novel, something new. You have not seen anything like it. And you can merge rock and electronics even more.

Fuck man, if i has musical talent i would be trying to kickstart the new wave of cyber punk electro rock, not making the millionth grunge rock metal core revival band
>>
>>74581995
You could create that exact rif in a pirated daw with your typing keyboard. Completely defeats the purpose of why a guitar is good in the first place
>>
Rock
Funk/Soul
Reggae
Folk

or

Art music
Jazz fusion
Musique concrete
EAI / Onkyo
Turntable / tape music
Electronic rock crossover
Ambient
Hip hop
Dub
Downtempo / Chillout
Chillwave / Vaporwave / Internet genres
Techno and many subs
House and many subs
UK Garage and many subs
Trance and many subs
Breaks and many subs
EDM
Drone
Noise
Industrial
EBM
Synthpop

Pretty fucking obvious
>>
>>74583367
>Art music
>Jazz fusion
>Musique concrete
>EAI / Onkyo
>Turntable / tape music
>Ambient
>Hip hop
>Drone
>Noise
>Industrial
those aren't necessarily electronic
>>
>>74583367
dude, there are like ten million rock sub genres
>>
>>74583395
>EAI
>not necessarily electronic

>>74583435
I purposefully left off listing subgenres from both sides
>>
>>74582661

Seaboards are expensive as all hell
>>
>>74583458
Just because he might be wrong about eai doesnt mean all of his point is wrong
>>
you can't compare them at all, one requires thousands of hours to master while some retard can just pick up a PC and make music
>>
>>74583515
yeah, maybe a couple more then for guitar music

>>74583534
weak af
>>
>>74583367
That's some next-level baiting
>>
>>74583367
>>74583395
>>74583545
Fixed.

Rock
Funk/Soul
Reggae
Folk
Jazz fusion
Musique concrete
Ambient
Hip hop
Drone
Noise
Industrial

or

Art music
Jazz fusion
Musique concrete
EAI / Onkyo
Turntable / tape music
Electronic rock crossover
Ambient
Hip hop
Dub
Downtempo / Chillout
Chillwave / Vaporwave / Internet genres
Techno and many subs
House and many subs
UK Garage and many subs
Trance and many subs
Breaks and many subs
EDM
Drone
Noise
Industrial
EBM
Synthpop
>>
>>74583534
If it's so easy to make good music on a computer why don't you do it?
>>
>>74580781
>question:
>>
>>74583570
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
>>
File: geetah electronic.jpg (234KB, 1757x786px) Image search: [Google]
geetah electronic.jpg
234KB, 1757x786px
>>74583590
Explain?

>inb4 you add 700 rock sub, subgenres despite no electronic genres subgenres used
>>
>>74583489
yeah but I really want one.
that, a mf twister and an mf 3d. that would be my dream setup.
>>
>>74583570
This doesn't make any sense
>>
>>74583645
Why not?
>>
>>74583657
You use "Rock" as a whole single entity including the many MAJOR subgenres very different from it, yet on the other side, you have minor subgenres such as Synthpop, EAI and Musique Concrète, Chillwave/Vaporwave or EBM.
Breaks, Trance, Techno, House and modern Dub could all be included in "EDM" if you include all rock subgenres in rock itself.
Not to mention that Art Music means absolutely nothing (if you mean western classical music, it obviously uses guitars in a LOT of compositions, even eastern classical music uses other forms of guitars).
Plus the right side, even as it is right now, remains a lot smaller than the left side if we're talking about the amount of music made as a whole.
>>
>>74580755
Rock certainly isn't reinventing itself.

There are a lot of 'deconstructed electronic subgenre' music coming out.

So to answer your question music is stagnating
>>
>>74583718
All those you called EDM are completely different subgenres of electronic as rock and reggae are within guitar music some even more so.

Quality > quantity
>>
>>74583718
lol called it
>>74583605
>>
>>74581852
no, it's electric
>>
>>74583771
>>74583754
>>74583718
>>74583657
Don't you fuckers get it?

The entire genre of electronica is commercial, all electronica is EDM, as it's objectively inferior/cheaper music. It's our degenerate plebeian /mu/ that has tried to make us believe EDM is an "essential" genre and that if you don't like it you must be "narrow-minded", a "rockist" who listens exclusively to "twings and twangs" and there's probably some racial element to it too. EDM music has no staying power. All of EDM is just a neo-disco sub-genre of top-40 pop, with a "mechanical" paint job. This music doesn't stand the test of time, it's a fad. That's why EDM producers are discussed about like fashion. Image/fashion/numbers sold are actually considered when talking about them. EDM is just a really cheap/lazy form of music anyways. The majority of EDM beats are just stealing (MUHH "SAMPLING") another artist's music, looping it over a generic drumbeat while someone throws preset synths over it. The "technical aspects" of EDM are not hard at all. That's why there's 14 year old white girls on YouTube uploading themselves mixing with ease and speed, dropping polyrhythms like it's nothing. But because they don't fit the image of a "EDM fan", no one would take seriously. I've listened to it all from backpacker shit like Basic Channel and Deepchord to the "golden days" of Derrick May and Frankie Knuckles to revival stuff like Mall Grab and Delroy Edwards to the 90s with 4hero and Omi Trio to the CLT approved Mouse on Mars and Autechre to today like DJ Rashad and DJ Spinn. All electronica is EDM. All of it. Stop spamming it. Either keep it contained into one threads or request a containment board. I'm sick of coming on /mu/ and seeing a million DJ Rashad threads (none of which are about music btw).
>>
>>74583754
>All those you called EDM are completely different subgenres of electronic as rock and reggae are within guitar music some even more so.
And you think including all the major rock subgenres in rock is fair? Ok then
>Quality > quantity
Means nothing. You don't represent the entire population of earth to say what is and what isn't good.
>>74583771
>despite no electronic genres subgenres used
Yeah i'm sure you "called it", as you say.
>>
>>74583785
>I'm sick of coming on /mu/ and seeing a million DJ Rashad threads (none of which are about music btw).
What year is this pasta from?
>>
>>74582093
>>74582093
>>74582093
>>
>>74580755
both
https://amber097.bandcamp.com/track/there-is-a-world-inside-of-me
>>
>>74582093
That was the pleb instrument of it's time
>>
>>74583794
Both the rock and electronic lists are main genres within each, wtf are you bitching about?
>>
>>74583605
First of all, if you're going to use rock to include everything with distorted guitars and loud drums. I dont think you have listened enough to realize the diversity of the genres.
>>
>>74584754
Ambient techno and splittercore are nothing alike but both techno, if you don't know that I dont think you have listened enough to realize the diversity of the genres
>>
A mixture between them
>>
"guitar music" (post rock and roll music) > "electronic music" (post electro music)
Still, post electro electronic (or "EDM" is waaaaaaaaay underrated here on /mu/
>>
>>74584879
I did not dispute your genres, dont make things up. I was talking about rock.
>>
>>74581995
Some band I like used a Kitara, do they still sell them?
>>
>>74585223
And I'm talking about techno.

That image has no subgenres of either so fair.
>>
>>74585254
Not even the guy you're arguing with, but you're being willfully obtuse.
>>
>>74586798
the only person who'd disagree have no clue about the variety in techno
>>
>>74586817
I could make the same argument about variety in Rock.
>>
>>74586838
never denied rocks variety, the point was the image is equal with no rock subgenres and no techno subgenres and if rock subgenres should be added, so should techno
>>
>>74586858
And you are being willfully obtuse by classifying every genre of music with distorted guitars as "rock."

If you want to be fair, half the shit you listed on the electronic side should be placed under EDM in the same way.
>>
>>74582630
toblerone, chääs, emätauer
>>
>>74581612
The guitar is not more technically chanllenging than any key-based instrument, in this case the synth

Synths are pretty challenging by themselves
>>
File: 1467529494563.jpg (607KB, 1222x5689px) Image search: [Google]
1467529494563.jpg
607KB, 1222x5689px
>>74586897
All these are rock. By every definition, everywhere.

EDM is an umbrella term, not even a genre.

Rock, funk, reggae and soul should all be placed under R&B if you're being that anal.
>>
>>74583582
/thread
>>
>>74587016
Considering I play both, I can confirm that it took me a lot longer to get decent at guitar than to get good at synth. Playing live is harder on guitar, synth is piss easy in comparison.

>>74587017
>Using meme images to make an argument
>>
File: pp999-the-who-maximum.jpg (25KB, 505x709px) Image search: [Google]
pp999-the-who-maximum.jpg
25KB, 505x709px
>>74587065
>have argument destroyed
>call it a meme
>>
File: 1474141617096.png (550KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1474141617096.png
550KB, 600x600px
>>74587122
>I'm retarded
Nice
>>
>>74587065
>>74581612
>>74587016
keyboards alone are at least as technically challenging as guitar
(think Lang Lang vs Malmsteen)
but with the added dimension of having to program synths it's not even close
Thread posts: 84
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.