[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone who knows musical theory tell me why JS Bach is so

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

File: 1502851184533.jpg (47KB, 645x968px) Image search: [Google]
1502851184533.jpg
47KB, 645x968px
I could pretty much listen to nothing but Bach for the rest of my life and be content.
>>
>>74580014
He's not.
He makes music for people to play in the background.
Listen to some Free Jazz you pleb.
>>
File: The Beatles.jpg (133KB, 900x562px) Image search: [Google]
The Beatles.jpg
133KB, 900x562px
>>74580037
lol, Jazz is what you play in the background.
Listen to some Beatles you pleb.
>>
>>74580037
>random noise is better than Bach

What did he mean by this?
>>
File: 1500943810440.gif (2MB, 460x259px) Image search: [Google]
1500943810440.gif
2MB, 460x259px
>>74580037
>Free Jazz
Wow it's so free and no rules and you can play whatever! ... and... it... all sounds.... the same...
>>
Bach is the only one who deserves to be called GOAT if anyone does
>>
>>74580095
Kendrick Lamar is a GOAT.
>>
>>74580014
I'm with you OP. Baroque era music is my favorite era of classical music to be honest. Also, to answer your question as best I can (I know music theory but probably not at the level that would be required to truly explain the harmonic changes in his music to you), I would say that it's because he was really big into writing multiple melody lines that would stack on top of each other and eventually swell together and lead into a different key signature and on and on and on and on until he resolves back to the original key. He does this type of thing with a lot of grace and finesse, also, so his work naturally comes out sounding really complex and beautiful.
>>
>>74580422
here's an example of what I was talking about
http://www.teoria.com/en/articles/2017/BWV850/
>>
>>74580037
Kek.

Hes not perfect though but he's still the GOAT. Cello and French suites are probably my favorite, I love his chamber music.

Sometimes I wish he could have lived for 300 years, I wonder what he could have done with instrumentation in the Romantic and Impressionist eras. No love for the Classical era though, fuck that shit, too restricting. MUH FORM.

>>74580422
Which is why I agree with this. Baroque is the shit. Perfect combination of intellectual depth, technical proficiency and emotion. I guess special things happen sometimes when you try to show the glory of God.
Good post, Anon.
>>
>>74580613
>>74580422
I agree. Art invariably goes to shit when you take God out of the equation and it becomes art for art's sake. The next step is deconstruction, masturbation, etc. Soon you have Stravinsky.
>>
>>74580613
>No love for the Classical era though, fuck that shit, too restricting. MUH FORM.
not even Schubert or Beethoven? or do you consider them to be more transitional, especially Schubert
>>
>>74580576
>a*tism
>>
>>74580641
>>74580613
I'm not a believer in god and I agree in some ways. I don't think you have to believe necessarily, I think it's more like an appreciation of your culture that's making everything possible for you instead of being an edgy deconstructionist nihilist
>>
>>74580014
Bach was ahead of his time certainly, and very enjoyable.

He's at his firm best when he does weird shit, tho, like Toccata and Fugue. it's not weird now, but in a historical context it was pretty fucking out there. most great composers are, really.

I'm also more of a Handel guy myself.
>>
>>74580694
Enjoy your ban.
>>
>>74580660
They're more transitional, yeah. They're the best Classical can come up with and I like their more later works (especially Beethoven) much more than early, so they're practically (proto-)Romantic composers.
>>
>>74580641
Wouldn't necessarily complete agree but there definitely is some correlation between great art and love of the Christian God. At least in my Western filtered eyes, obviously.
>>
>>74580089
But it doesn't
>>
>>74580716
You sound like an alt-bro
>>
>>74580014
C O U N T E R P O I N T
O
U
N
T
E
R

P
O
I
N
T
>>
>>74581192
you sound like a bitch
>>
>>74581304
I bet you have told shit like "religion has done a lot of terrible things, obviously, but it has done a lot of good things too" in real life
>>
>>74581350
I bet you don't think doing away with religion would leave a vacuum to be filled by ideologies
or you do but you think it would be a good thing
>>
>>74580014
He's alright but Gesualdo is leagues ahead.
>>
>>74581417
>I bet you don't think doing away with religion would leave a vacuum to be filled by ideologies
or you do but you think it would be a good thing

I don't, I'm a Chritian "fundamentalist" who prays every day, I just hate faggots like you
>>
>>74581431
Apples and oranges
>>
>>74580014
Shut up jux
>>
>>74580095
>Bach
>Goat
>Not Kanye
>>
>>74580014
Well here's one reason:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh0N2DqKfc0
>>
>>74580056
>lol, Jazz is what you play in the background.
>Listen to some Beatles you pleb.
The state of this board...
>>
>>74581512
Don't be upset.
Some people are just unable to believe.
>>
>>74581564
It's a meme you dip. How new are you?
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.