[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT /mu/'s confessions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 256
Thread images: 16

>I have never listened to Death Grips
>>
>>74573927
I value music on the basis of its harmonic complexity and catchiness mainly
>>
>I think the Cure fucking suck
>>
>>74573947
how could you
I thought Disintegration was the album nobody can dislike
>>
>>74573927
hahaha stupid frog you're holding it the wrong way around!
>>
>>74573927
I can't get into hip hop. I feel like I'd never relate
>>
>I haven't done a thing that takes almost no effort

wow so unique!
>>
>>74573927
Only Hip Hop albums I like are
>Illmatic
>Liquid Swords
>Good kid Mad city
>Infamous
>most Kanye albums
Rest is unlistenable and dated garbage.
Yes, I listened to all of them that are on the /mu/ hip hop chart
>>
I've never listened to a Pink Floyd or Radiohead album.
I don't even know why. I think the genre is good.
>>
>>74575251
>Yes, I listened to all of them that are on the /mu/ hip hop chart
found your problem
>>
>There are a shit ton of classic albums I still haven't listened to
>this includes the entirety of Pink Floyd's, Led Zeppelin's, King Crimson's, and The Who's discography and that's just the classic rock off the top of my head
>I say that I love punk but I've barely listened to any punk albums and I don't know much about the current punk scene
>>
The more I keep listening to classical music, the less I listen to anything in the realm of pop music outside the more heavy/intense/abrasive stuff so certain metal, punk, industrial, noise, and electronic/hip hop. Mainly just the stuff that goes hard as that's kinda the one thing classical doesn't really cover. Some jazz as well if I am really in the mood for improvisations, though recently it's been composition heavy stuff mostly like Braxton, Threadgill, and Steve Coleman.

I am not even trying to be snobbish, but I am not really feeling anything from the kind of music outside those anymore. They just don't feel engaging to me in any way.
>>
>>74573927
Loveless is awful, and I hate that everyone jerks their dick off to it. And SILY is only ok.
>>
>>74575461
>I say that I love punk but I've barely listened to any punk albums and I don't know much about the current punk scene
Punk has been dead for a long while.
>>
>>74575597
Especially since it seems like people only like it because it's held up as masterpiece of music, and not because people actually enjoy it.
>>
>My music taste is becoming more and more trashy and I dont realy care
>>
I've listened to every single /mu/-core album. Except for ITAOTS.
>>
>>74575610
>Punk has been dead for a long while.
Okay, maybe I haven't really checked into most things made from the 00's until today.
>>
>>74575597
Loveless' compositions are nothing but boring radio pop tracks once one gets past the production gimmick. It's kind of ridiculous that someone would spend that much time on music production then use more standard tropes in the actual compositions themselves rather than fully optimize the concept being attempted by the production. Only the strumming tries to achieve that.
>>
>>74573927
I like The Bends and don't like Kid A or OK Computer. I also like Load and don't like AJFA
>>
>>74575631
>>74575597
Every single track on Loveless is extremely enjoyable. It's easily one of the best albums ever made
>>
>>74575597
>>74575631
I don't get this at all. I listened to Loveless finally sometime last year I believe and I absolutely fucking loved it to the point where it became one of my favorite albums. If you like guitar music, I just don't see how you could NOT love it.
>>
>>74575597
It isn't highly regarded because everyone automatically loves the album. It's because its influence in creating and defining an entire genre of music yet still manages to be considered the undisputed best shoegaze album is why it's so popular. People don't love it, they respect it. and i guess since i left you is kinda similar in that nothing else was really like it at that time.
>>
>>74575708
I've probably listened to it two dozen times if not more throughout my entire life. I genuinely don't get the love it gets.
>>
>>74575757
no people love it because the music is so fucking good. it's not that deep
>>74575697
>Loveless' compositions are nothing but boring radio pop tracks once one gets past the production gimmick.
none of them are
btw 'standard tropes' in compositions are not even remotely a bad thing unless you're novelty only brainlet
>>
>>74575461
>current punk scene

>more standard punk
Hank Wood & The Hammerheads - Go Home
The Nightbirds - Born To Die In Suburbia
The Coneheads - L.P.1. aka "14 Year Old High School PC-Fascist Hype Lords Rip Off Devo for the Sake of Extorting $$$ from Helpless Impressionable Midwestern Internet Peoplepunks L.P."
Red Death - Permanent Exile
Culo - Toxic Vision
>>
I hate Swans
>>
always planned on listening to the beatles, beach boys, mbv but never got to it
>>
>>74575815
>btw 'standard tropes' in compositions are not even remotely a bad thing unless you're novelty only brainlet
It is when it's the same uncreative crap you can hear on the radio in every way but in the way the strumming is for some bits.
>>
>>74575816
There is still some ok punk being made in england
>>
>>74575639
spotted the patrician
>>
>>74575858
wow it has a chord progression and riffs and melodies in 4/4 too uncreative for me
>>
>>74575868
True true. There's a lot of stuff from local DIY scenes all over the world, which is what I like about the genre and am glad is the capacity it thrives in these days. Of those records I mentioned, only the first three have some exposure outside their main scenes. Even then Coneheads is mainly Indiana, Red Death is mainly DC/VA/MD they are billed as DC, and I think Culo's mainly known in Canda?
>>
>>74575930
I wish a scene still existed though. I don't know anybody I could go to a show with
>>
>>74575816
Thanks, my dude.
>>
>>74575915
btw "only the strumming" is such a silly thing to say because strumming is literally just how they play the rhythm of a theme with guitar chords
it's like saying they only thing that's different about this melody is how different it is
>>
>>74575915
It does nothing different from what you can hear on the radio right now. Hell, what you might hear on the radio might actually be better. Most of it is boring four chord garbage with no interesting take on melody, in fact the melodies are often introduced like radio pop hooks. The tracks either have an ABAB structure that does nothing new on those repeats or they are even simpler folk inspired structures. Like, fuck, this isn't even going into how awful everything but the electric guitars are on the record. What was even the point of having a rhythm section? Oh yeah because we need to water it down into boring ass pop music. Lets not even forget that lazy ass singing that's "but it's SUPPOSED to be shit!"
>>
I can't stand Joanna Newsom's music. I've tried listening to Y's in full on three separate occasions and it does nothing for me and I honestly hate it.
>>
i really really hate bela lugosi's dead.
>>
>>74575980
The more traditional big popular scenes of old aren't as viable in the modern day culture. If you don't know anyone, just go to the shows, you'll eventually become friends with those that frequent them as well.
>>74576016
Yeah dude, that stuff's just the primer. If you live in a big city, perhaps you got a local scene nearby. Also maybe worth checking out the big names you can find on the big internet sites so bands like Titus Andronicus, Nails, etc.
>>
>>74575210
Check out Tyler, The Creator's new album. No joke.
>>
>>74573927
I've never listened to Neutral Milk Hotel because I'm worried I might like it
>>
>>74575538
Everyone's got differing taste, everyone gets into ruts.
>>
>>74573927
I never understood the appeal of TMR
>>
>>74575639
this guy has the right idea
>>
>>74576201
It comes down to appreciating the chaos with TMR. It's not groundbreaking, it's not genre-defining, it's just weird and creative.
>>
>>74576050
>boring four chord garbage
you need to listen to more music
>no interesting take on melody
please define "interesting take on melody"
>ABAB structure that does nothing new on those repeats or they are even simpler folk inspired structures.
how awful
>What was even the point of having a rhythm section? Oh yeah because we need to water it down into boring ass pop music
lol i'd love to see you explain what this means then defend it
>Lets not even forget that lazy ass singing that's "but it's SUPPOSED to be shit!"
the vocals are godlike and you are a philistine

if only Brahms had 200 IQ like you he could have been a great composer

>>74576201
TMR is extremely fun because most of the tracks are a relatively high amount of quality riffs jampacked into a rock song. listen to Ella Guru or Steal Softly Thru Snow for example. it's riffcore. it's also a very novel album with tons of uniqueness, but novelty alone does not make good music of course.
>>
Eleanor Rigby and Revolution 9 are the only Beatles songs I've listened to in their entirety.
>>
>>74575843
How have you not listened to The Beatles? This is probably the only one of these I've seen that has actually surprised me.
>>
>>74576302
Listen to I Want to Hold Your Hand and you roughly heard all their eras.
>>
>>74576350
i'm more surprised by>>74576302 because the first guy has probably at least heard Hey Jude, I Want to Hold Your Hand, Here Comes the Sun, etc. but just hasn't sat down and listened to an album.

this other guy has literally heard 2 songs and of them isn't even a song
>>
>>74576302
Listen to "1" STAT
>>
>>74576302
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4wtZAb4ewc
underrated beatles song imo
>>
>>74576266
>you need to listen to more music
No, you do if you think that's creative or good in any capacity
>please define "interesting take on melody"
not just pop hook type 2 measures at most melodies
>how awful
Indeed. The definition of cookie cutter and boring.
>lol i'd love to see you explain what this means then defend it
The music's focal point is its textures created through its drones, right? Thats why the guys spent so much time, money, and manpower on the production. But then why have the rhythm section? Outside that one song where the bass guitar is a sample, the rest of the tracks doesn't have it used in any context that supplements the idea. But not only is it there in the majority of tracks, it's there in capacity where it delivers a straightforward beat. Like the rest of the album, it's one of the many aspects of it that helps water down the music into something pretentious faggots like you easily consume.
>the vocals are godlike and you are a philistine
>vocals lack range, style, and texture
>godlike
lmao

I can only guess that the majority of music you must listen to is top 40 and generic dream pop with how far you have gone to defend this embarrassment.
>>
>>74575631
Nigga it's a pop album under all the awesome production (and a good one at that), all the songs are catchy as fuck.
>>
>>74576495
>*autistic screeching*
>>
MBV is overrated garbage

Nine Inch Nails are ok, I guess.

I have never listneed to a full Grimes album and never will.
>>
>>74576495
>a piece of music can't be creative or good in any capacity if it only has 4 chords
t. brainlet trying to sound smart
>not just pop hook type 2 measures at most melodies
define the difference between a "pop hook" melody from loveless and your favorite melody
>Indeed. The definition of cookie cutter and boring.
t. brainlet who pretends folk music is shit to seem smart and thinks stockhausen is a great composer
>The music's focal point is its textures created through its drones, right? Thats why the guys spent so much time, money, and manpower on the production. But then why have the rhythm section? Outside that one song where the bass guitar is a sample, the rest of the tracks doesn't have it used in any context that supplements the idea. But not only is it there in the majority of tracks, it's there in capacity where it delivers a straightforward beat. Like the rest of the album, it's one of the many aspects of it that helps water down the music into something pretentious faggots like you easily consume.
this argument is shit unless you can prove your premises that 1. the music's focal point is textures and drones 2. textures/drones can't be good if they have percussion
what's even stranger is you then argue that it's even worse because the percussion is only there to deliver a straightforward beat, when that is exactly the type of percussion you'd want if your goal is 'drones'
>Like the rest of the album, it's one of the many aspects of it that helps water down the music into something pretentious faggots like you easily consume.
a sentence that doesn't say anything
>I can only guess that the majority of music you must listen to is top 40 and generic dream pop with how far you have gone to defend this embarrassment.
another meaningless sentence from a brainlet trying to seem smart
>>
>>74576685
If he thinks that MBV is for pretentious people then why the fuck would he even listen to a second of Stockhausen. Stockhausen is a good composer tho.
>>
The Smiths are bland jangle-pop apart from 'How Soon Is Now?'.
>>
I have never watched Game Of Thrones.

wait, wrong board.

>I've never listened to ITAOTS.
>I can't stand The Glow Part 2 and all basic whiny vocals over some guitar strumming gay shit
>I think Untitled Unmastered is Kendrick's best album
>Future Days is the only CAN album I've heard
>I like Future's album EVOL a lot
>I think Christgau's views are always on point.
>>
>>74576758
>I have never watched Game Of Thrones.
This is me.
>>
>>74576757

So I'm not missing much if I like that song? Cool. Paradise Lost covered it and I thought it was pretty good, then I heard the original and felt the same. Never did bother listening to them proper, though.
>>
I claim to like Jacques Brel.
>>
>>74576758
>I think Christgau's views are always on point.
Biggest cunt in the music industry.
>>
>>74576758

>Future Days is the only CAN album I've heard

Follow up with Tago Mago and Ege Bamyasi.
>>
>>74576718
Nah, I think he's too pretentious to let himself enjoy anything repetitive or simple.
>>74576817
I'd recommend giving them a shot. Personally I'm the opposite of that guy where the Smiths are one of my favorite bands and I don't care for HOw Soon Is Now in particular. But it is very different from the rest of their songs so it makes sense. It doesn't sound like their other stuff at all, so it's going to be that song some smiths fans don't like and some people who don't liek smiths like
>>
>>74576893
then why would he call people who do listen to that pretentious? He's making the same argument as the "it's just noise lmao" people, at least in that regard.
>>
>>74576912
Idk but if you're using the term 'four chord garbage' to criticize a piece of music I don't know a better word to describe that than pretentious
>>
>>74575697
compositionally it might not be as complex as other albums, but that doesn't mean all the tracks are simple pop songs. and besides, that's not even the beauty of loveless. the warmth of the guitar tones achieving that wall of sound is one of the biggest draws to the album, and that sound ended up being such a large influence on many other artists at the time and even to this day.
>>
>>74575161
upvoting this post.
>>
Anco ain't that interesting
>>
>>74576685
>t. brainlet trying to sound smart
It's true when taking into context everything else.
>define the difference between a "pop hook" melody from loveless and your favorite melody
Only Shallow's main melody is made up of four notes split into two subphrases with the same exact rhythm. The Art Of Fugue has a multi measure melody that first starts off on its own then the bass comes in and there's counterpoint. Each cadence does also usually have four chords, but cadences aren't repeated exactly over and over again. So there's objectively more for the listener to engage with.
>t. brainlet who pretends folk music is shit to seem smart and thinks stockhausen is a great composer
I never said folk in general is shit. Please, learn to read.
>1. the music's focal point is textures and drones
I literally went into why this is so based on the sheer amount of time, money, manpower, and other resources put into making the production so textural. It's literally in all the interviews and shit.
>2. textures/drones can't be good if they have percussion
I never said this. Percussion can definitely be used to complement textural music and there is often jazz inspired percussion in drone heavy music (an example would be Boris' drone stuff or in jazz itself the new Trio 3 album where it's not doing straightforward drumming.) I called it out for having straightforward most boring take possible of 1,2,1,2 pop drumming. At that point it's pointless because it objectively takes up both space in terms of the musical stereo area itself and in terms of frequency range as well, which in this case makes the music objectively less textural.
>a sentence that doesn't say anything
I'll simplify it further. Music with unconventional timbre, whoa this may be weird to me! BUT, music has poppy melodies I know this from all the shit I listen to on the radio! A beat I can follow! Okay I can get some of this!

Please post something good rather than have me spoonfeed you on an album YOU like.
>>
Waiting is my favorite Green Day song and I dislike American Idiot
>>
>>74576995
It's why I said
>outside its production
>>
>>74577163
i would argue that the wall of sound isn't even considered production. it's moreso the tone itself, building up those incredible sounds that consume the listener. similar to music by arvo part. it might not have the most going on as far as complexity in chord structure, but it builds up sounds that are almost like a conversation with heaven.
>>
>>74577049
the art of fugue isn't a piece of music, it's a collection of many pieces of music lol. but fugue is a very specific genre. yes the themes always vary in each repetition (bach doesn't do that all the time in all of his pieces by the way)
>So there's objectively more for the listener to engage with.
Of course, and that's the appeal. it's not the only way to write a piece of music though. sometimes less is more. also you're not explaining how 4 chords is only acceptable in this context
>I never said folk in general is shit. Please, learn to read.
you seem to dislike any folk music with repetitions that don't vary every time
>I called it out for having straightforward most boring take possible of 1,2,1,2 pop drumming. At that point it's pointless because it objectively takes up both space in terms of the musical stereo area itself and in terms of frequency range as well, which in this case makes the music objectively less textural.
try to imagine for a second that the percussion is supposed to be simple for the way the artist wants the music to sound. there's nothign wrong with it.
>I'll simplify it further. Music with unconventional timbre, whoa this may be weird to me! BUT, music has poppy melodies I know this from all the shit I listen to on the radio! A beat I can follow! Okay I can get some of this!
by that logic trout mask replica or anything with novel composition and traditional instruments is "watered down" cause it uses conventional timbres lol
>>
>>74577272
>the art of fugue isn't a piece of music, it's a collection of many pieces of music lol. but fugue is a very specific genre. yes the themes always vary in each repetition (bach doesn't do that all the time in all of his pieces by the way)
If we can compare the entirety of Loveless, I am sure we can do all of Art Of Fugue as well. If you really want to get picky, any of them after the first one.
>Of course, and that's the appeal. it's not the only way to write a piece of music though. sometimes less is more. also you're not explaining how 4 chords is only acceptable in this context
Not only did I say that 4 chords is only acceptable in that context, but that at the end of the day any form of music needs to have something or another to keep it engaging. Loveless certainly doesn't do it on a melodic basis as the example shows.
>you seem to dislike any folk music with repetitions that don't vary every time
Again, not true. John Fahey for example, uses a lot of repetition in his music and I like him. Music that's overly repetitive with no minimalist structure or microtones to make that repetition worth it isn't that great in my book.
>try to imagine for a second that the percussion is supposed to be simple for the way the artist wants the music to sound. there's nothign wrong with it.
Sure, but that doesn't make it great.
>by that logic trout mask replica or anything with novel composition and traditional instruments is "watered down" cause it uses conventional timbres lol
But if those conventional timbres are going that far out of their way to create something far more relatively esoteric, then it's not really watering it down all that much is it? This is much more based on the perspective of the listener.
>>
>>74577721
>but that doesn't make it great
Sure. No one's praising this album for its percussion.
>>
>>74577216
But in order to achieve the kind of wall Loveless uses, it requires extensive production work to ensure that each and every different texture (background noise, electric guitar 1, electric guitar 2, etc.) are placed just right in each track. For each track that "just right" spot is different. The tone itself was already done before Loveless and continues to be done after it. But it's the production work that's the real standout of the album.

Not sure how the album "builds up" as the structure is circular repetition of exact phrases like typical pop music. The Part comparison doesn't work because Part does actual minimalist structure where there are build ups that continually add/subtract various parts.

It's less a full conversation and more of every person participating in said "conversation" just repeating the same two sentences.
>>
>>74577748
Which makes me wonder why these guys even chose to argue with me about it. Even most of the guys on here and in real life I know that love the album know its by far the worst aspect of the album.
>>
>>74577824
But the people that are arguing with you are saying that it's there to make a straightforward beat. That's what roots the album in pop music. It's just a really good pop album imo, and the production is the defining factor. The repetition even makes it more psychedelic, similar to bands like LRD or Fushitsusha.
>>
>>74577897
You can root the album in pop music while still having creative percussion as well. My earlier suggestion of having percussion complement the drones rather than feel tacked on can be done while still having the percussion be in the realm of popular music.

>like LRD or Fushitsusha
Both of these bands, especially LRD, offers continuous variations so it doesn't get boring as fuck.
>>
>>74578006
How does the percussion not complement the drones? They sound good together, it's not like either stick out to a degree that they're not supposed to. I mean, the album does not have it's percussion in the forefront, so I think it can still be good without any sort of creative percussion.
>offer continuous variations
There are a few incredibly repetitive LRD/Fushitsusha songs, and that's not a bad quality. You don't enjoy repetitive things in music, I suppose other people do.
>>
>>74575639
This. Listening to Portrait of an American Family for the first time in almost a decade, and "Cake and Sodomy" is blowing me away. Scaruffi is right. The earliest alternative metal is the shit.
>>
>>74578082
>How does the percussion not complement the drones?
Already explained why. They take up space that limit the drones.
>There are a few incredibly repetitive LRD/Fushitsusha songs
And they are god awful. I don't mind repetition, at this point in this topic this should be obvious from me using the Art Of Fugue as an example to be somewhat backing Part, Boris, LRD, and Fushitsusha. But when it's pointless repetition that achieves nothing, then it's worthless.

On a side note, just realized that the LRD/Fushitsusha comparison is also terrible because their structures aren't ABAB pop based like Loveless' (which also works against Loveless)
>>
>>74578216
I don't see how the repetition in the LRD/Fushitsusha/or even MBV songs are "pointless", they do serve to draw me in to the song. I guess that's the core difference between us.
>>
>>74578313
You don't need to stick to verse chorus verse with zero variation to have repetition that can draw a new listener in. See Radiohead, most forms of extreme metal, some jazz, etc.
>>
>>74573927

Sometimes I rate or give opinions on albums I never actually listened to.
>>
>I like the new steven wilson
>>
>>74576758

I also can't stand The Glow Pt. 2 for similar reasons, though I admittedly haven't tried relistening to it much
>>
I think Dave Ghrol has tried to be too clever with the foo fighters. He avoids bluse-y led zep rock in favour of unusual power chords and rhythms which doesn't always work.

>>74578389
You must hate yourself. Why do you do this?

I think a lot of musicians lower the art form.
>>
File: yungweeb.jpg (303KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
yungweeb.jpg
303KB, 960x1280px
yung lean is my favourite rapper
>>
File: 1502696105768.jpg (94KB, 960x439px) Image search: [Google]
1502696105768.jpg
94KB, 960x439px
>>74573927
I can't get into indie-rock & emo-rock
>>
>>74575210
Listen to Aesop Rock
Or Jellyfish Brigade

They don't rap about gangster shit
>>
>>74575461
That's ok, but listen to Quadrophenia by the Who right fucking now
>>
>>74579804
WHO EVER THOUGHT A WHITE BOI WOULD BRING REAL HIP HOP BACK
>>
I just listen to what I want to and I don't really care about /mu/ core at all but I'll come here If I can't think of anything to listen to.

Also, If a song has screaming instead of singing it's shit
>>
I didn't listen to J Dilla until like 2015.
>>
>>74579842
The thing what he doesn isn't real hip hop, he's just using hip hop and creative writing to air his psychological issues and also tell short stories.

Those blockhead beats tho (Not that his solo stuff isn't also pretty good.)
>>
File: sally.png (272KB, 351x453px) Image search: [Google]
sally.png
272KB, 351x453px
I've been getting more and more into post-punk lately but I still don't see the appeal of Remain in Light
I think the first three songs are great but I think everything after that is kinda boring. I think they sound too restrained and I wish there were more songs on it where they just go nuts like The Great Curve or Born Under Punches. I've listened to the live versions off of Stop Making Sense but it just made me want to listen to the live versions instead.
I've tried everything up to RiL too and I think they're okay but kinda suffer from the same problems

I also don't like Modern Dance that much but it's growing on me and I think it's conceptually way more interesting than RiL so it's got that going for it I guess

Also Vs. by Mission of Burma has like 3 good songs and then a lot of really average stuff in between. But I dunno if that's really that unpopular of an opinion
>>
Mr Muthafuckin Exquire> Doom
>>
Autechre are by far the best Warp Records act.

Out of the "big four" that everyone associates with Warp/90s IDM/etc (Aphex, BoC, Autechre, Squarepusher) they have both the largest and the most consistently good discography and to this day they've managed to change up their sound on every release without missing a beat while the other three have all pretty much fallen on their faces

Fookin brilliant
>>
>>74580041
I get what you mean about the studio recordings sounding too restrained. It's even worse on Speaking in Tongues, which is a shame since the versions of those songs on Stop Making Sense are absolutely fantastic.
>>
>>74580138
true but all 4 are amazing

and I know he's not warp but I associate u-ziq with them and he's great too, though he has the least amount of great albums of them. but his debut album is possibly my favorite thing any of them have done
>>
>>74573927
Animal Collective are the most overrated band of the 21st century
>>
>>74580196
Oh yeah no that was a given. I think all four are brilliant but personally I rank them Autechre >> Aphex > BoC > Squarepusher.

I really need to listen to u-ziq, I love the track Hasty Boom Alert but I've never made it through a full album of his. I'll check out his debut though, thanks for the rec
>>
>>74573947
Frigg off Montie, you're trip is enough of an embarrassing confession.
>>
>>74573927
I unironically like country and bluegrass.
>>
>>74580768
bluegrass is amazing and anyone whod oesn't like it is probably just a pleb

jap game devs have impeccable taste for using it so much
>>
I never listened to Oasis
>>
>>74578133
I'm not sure about other early alt metal but portrait of an american family was a fucking masterpiece
>>
>>74580824
You're not missing much.
>>
>>74581674
That's the only MM album I've heard, how do the rest of his albums compare?
>>
I enjoy industrial/noise. Most music seems boring to me.
>>
>>74581760
The rest do not have the same charm and uniqueness as portrait.

Theres a general consensus that Antichrist Superstar, Mechanical Animals and Holy Wood are his best, but these all suffer form the "manson not being a real musician and having to rely on others" problem.

They're pretty decent albums but theres flaws in them that keep them from being classics IMO.
>>
I only listen to hip hop to not seem racist since all of my friends have no idea who the jazz and soul artists I talk about are
>>
>>74581929
xS
>>
>>74579349
Same, Anon. Don't feel bad.
>>
>>74573927
shoegaze - more like shitegaze
>>
>>74578389
I hate posers like you.
>>
>>74573947
You also think Oasis is one of the best bands ever, so there's no legitimate reason to take your opinions seriously.
>>
I listen to my music through laptop speakers like 75% of the time.
In my defense, they're pretty good speakers.
>>
>>74575251
you have basic taste
>>
File: dogtube.gif (2MB, 395x400px) Image search: [Google]
dogtube.gif
2MB, 395x400px
>>74573927
spiderland is shit
>>
>>74573927
HBO's Girls was the best kino in television
>>
>>74573947
Montie confirmed eternal FAGGOT
>>
>I was in the first 5 million views of gangnam style
>I even showed it to a friend
Im sorry.
>>
>>74582914
kek
>>
>>74573927
I hate sublime nirvana and queen with a passion
>>
>This board has only given me one good recommendation.
>>
$uicideboy$ is my favorite hip hop artist and apparently they're cloud too

they're like if edgar alan poe did rap

roast me
>>
>>74582914
Didn't Gangnam Style pop up on /b/ because mootles was trolling us then some lurker put it on reddit then the original thread got shut down because it was raided with cheese pizza? Gangnam Style was at ~300k when the thread went down.
>>
>>74584840
what was it?
>>
>>74573927
I've never listened to any of the albums /mu/ worships because I don't want to waste them, or something.
>>
>>74585080
Yes, like almost everything on the internet, it's popularity grew because of 4chan before it was beat into the ground by normies
>>
I sometimes listen to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYjcdSyUcGQ
>>
>>74585106
isn't it funny the people who call people normies are actual normies who don't want to be "labeled" because like omg no one understands me XP
>>
>>74585126
That's not funny at all
>>
I listen songs individually
>>
>>74585137
wait huh
>>
File: annex.png (187KB, 315x334px) Image search: [Google]
annex.png
187KB, 315x334px
>>74575251
>we wuz kangz tier
>>
File: 1500258636791.jpg (100KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1500258636791.jpg
100KB, 720x960px
>>74575597
>I hate that everyone jerks their dick off to it.
>>
>I actually enjoy noise
>am often bored at usual concert
>my friend probably think I'm depressed and that I never enjoy anything
>these fuckers don't come at the noise concerts that's why they think that

>I love psychedelic music but I don't like psytrance that much
>fucking hippies in the bandwagon only listening to psytrance

>have no hippie friends that will come with me at the noise concerts
>I don't walk barefoot but I am a hippie

>since my Spotify premium has runned out I now almost entirely listen to my own music
>I make hypnotic ambiant singing with pedals

>I don't value /mu/ opinions because the meme cancer is far too advanced
>I would want /mu/ to be like artwork/critique where half of the post are on original creation and the other half on existing pieces

At least I have good friends who will take good amount of psychedelic drugs with me and go to GY!BE or Swans concert. We've seen acid mother temple too, that was a fucking great time!
>>
>>74585303
can u link ur music? or do you want to DM me my b cuz i'm curious
>>
File: subaru.png (167KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
subaru.png
167KB, 400x225px
>>74575597
>SILY
>only ok
>>
>>74575597
>Loveless is awful
Try listening to the three EPs they put out before loveless.
>>
>>74576118
Why oh why?
>>
>>74585117
that shit's adorable af you nerd

samples from movies/shows/interviews etc. are always good it's just that most of the time you see that shit in experimental and/or obscure music like witch house or meme grips
>>
Zappa is the Mozart of rock music. In fact, music goes way better with a good chunk of humour
Greatest rock artist period
>>
>>74573927
I've never listened to Radiohead and I dont get the urge to start anyway
>>
>>74575461
What the other guy said, you can maybe miss Zeppelin and the rest of The Who's half-consistent stuff, but not Quadrophenia.
>>
>>74585673
what's ur music taste look like
>>
Loveless really isn't all that interesting it's like a 3.5 at best. Design:Velocity:Comfort is much more interesting
>>
>>74575538
That only covers 90% of the music ever discussed on this board.
>>74575648
That album isn't even good or bad, it's just a mediocre, could-have-been good thing.
>>74585088
What?
>>
>>74576118
CHVRCHES version is better
>>
>>74585718
too long to list the band im into so here the genres
Prog rock basically, followed by post-punk, coldwave and Genesis P'Orridge crew's folk
>>
>>74585862
The Bends is probably best for you

honestly it's the only radiohead album that doesn't want me to cut my ears off
>>
>>74585332
I posted 3 or 4 times on soundcloud thread.
https://soundcloud.com/soundsfromthevoid

Planning on making a ~2H album
thanks for reading my post
>>
>>74586338
np it's just i haven't been on /mu/ or 4chan in general in a while and i'm not even surprised at how the quality keeps sinking

honestly sounds like music you need to be on something to enjoy thoroughly but ye if that's what you were going for
>>
>>74586503
or just "spiritual" which i have been but not so much now honestly
>>
Not really a confession, more of an opinion but Vince Staples is the best rapper in the game at the moment and will be remembered as one of the GOAT in 20 years.
>>
>>74573927
I have never listened to music
>>
>>74586592
are you deaf? ._.
>>
>>74576757
The Smiths are over-rated shit. The best part of their entire catalogue is the intro to "What Difference Does It Make", right up to the point of Morrisey's vocals.
>>
>>74586624
are you stupid?
>>
>>74586661
no................
>>
>>74586503
>>74586515
Well i'm not an artist. I do this on the side I'm not trying to live off it. Obviously. like i said the only real listener of this music is myself.
Often people respond to my music like you. "I don't have the time/patience for this." Or "you need drugs to appreciate it."
When I'm listening to my music I almost instantly enter a state of meditation wich is really great for calming my mind. That's why I do it.

>>np it's just i haven't been on /mu/ or 4chan in general in a while and i'm not even surprised at how the quality keeps sinking
this is not very nice :(
>>
>>74586676
yes ._.
>>
U ain't missing much.
>>
>>74586711
i didn't mean your music, i mean the memes and the dick sucking of melonhead since he's apparently become a cult leader in sorts of ways because young people can't think for themselves.

i like the concept of the names of your songs and how you have to be in a state of mind to enjoy them. it's just that i PERSONALLY am not in that state of mind.
>>
post-2010 /mu/core is trash
>>
>>74586779
yes
MBDTF was the end of /mu/core
>>
>>74582359
>>74579119

I don't always do it. I only do it for the bad/mediocre stuff. Like when a band drops a new album and almost everyone says that it's shit or disappointing. I don't have the time and the will to listen to all the shit out there, especially bad or underwhelming albums, so I just take it for granted, if enough trusted friends or music critics have that opinion.
Sometimes I also rate an album even though I've listened only a few tracks out of it.
Yes, I'm a terrible human being.
>>
>>74587010
why not just stop
>>
>>74586766
Do not worry I don't have a problem with you not liking what I do.
But I was curious of why you said things where going downhill and I agree with you.
There is still some good thread on mu and if there isn't maybe we need to make them.
>>
File: stopit.jpg (33KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
stopit.jpg
33KB, 600x600px
>>74587186

it's time
>>
Spent half of my teen years and my 20's in the 00s very into shoegaze and sludge. Now that I have a stable and happy life, I've had trouble finding new music to relate to.
>>
>>74587287
honestly i've been just talking to people on different voice messengers but even then i gotta deal with their emotional baggages too. there's just so many friends to have that hate themselves and want to die when their life is essentially better than yours in different ways but not really so you just lose your fucking mind thinking holy fuck what did i get into.
>>
>>74573927
I listen to harsh noise unironically sometimes
>>
>>74587373
same but i do it to drown out my thoughts when i'm sober
>>
I unironically think the 80's were the best decade for music.
>>
>>74587415
what artists do you like that were created after 2010?
>>
>>74587415
that's not that unusual
80s being bad is a meme only believed by people who think nothing after zeppelin and before nirvana exists
>>
File: front.jpg (81KB, 709x709px) Image search: [Google]
front.jpg
81KB, 709x709px
>>74587432
Only artist I can think of atm is Mo Kolours (he dropped his first EP in 2011, but I honestly don't know when exactly he started producing under that name)
>>
>>74587517
>Only artist I can think of

well let's change that, bb
>>
>>74587363
well this is out of context but proper internet comment etiquette in my book
>>
>>74586779
What even is post 2010 mucore?
>>
>>74587517
try Wild Nothing - Nocturne
>>
>>74587592
Thanks for the rec kind anon
>>
>>74587549
that was in regards of making a thread on /mu/ at this hour. since EU is memeing atm.
>>
>>74579349
same senpai

I heard Wonderwall for the first time last year and thought it was a Simple Plan song
>>
>>74587553
every best new music release in p4k since 2010
>>
I really like Humanz
>>
>>74575639
it's a nice feeling
>>
>>74575597
imagine having such a shit taste
>>
I think Run The Jewels 1 is better than Run The Jewels 2.
>>
>>74588716
You're wrong, but I forgive you.
>>
File: smug tegan.gif (498KB, 400x246px) Image search: [Google]
smug tegan.gif
498KB, 400x246px
>>74575597
>all these replies

see this is why i don't openly say i just genuinely don't understand why some /mu/core is /mu/core cause i'm not trolling when i say what the fuck am i listening to i turned off my vacuum cleaner when i was cleaning up my dog's hair last night
>>
I don't care about the lyrics at all
>>
>>74588806
Okay.
>>
I moved away from Hip Hop hard. I just feel so old listening to it, I don't care boasting and any cultural reflection is just so damn simplistic. I'd rather just listen to Jazz and Funk.
>>
>>74585117
>not liking Pogo
>>
>>74588896
i seriously saw 2 white kids no older than 15 on scooters (like the non-electric kind) in a Vons blasting kendrick lamar. they were wearing snapbacks.

yeah this generation is fine.
>>
>>74585087
This Death Metal band called Blood Urn. They have a BC, so you should check 'em out.
>>
>>74582432
I actually don't. I just like Oasis, there is a fucking difference you massive fucking idiot. Off yourself.

>>74582890
how will he ever recover
>>
>>74573927
Princess Chelsea is better than Grimes
>>
>>74578386
I listen to all of that mate.
>>
>>74575705
this.
there is no other album as pleasant and exciting as loveless for me
>>
>>74589519
>Princess Chelsea
MONKEYS EAT BANANAS
THAT THEY STOLE FROM YOUR HOUSE
>>
>>74575843
i thought pet sounds was a /mu/ meme. I just put it today and im fucking loving it.
>>
>>74589660
>Last night I saw my parents
>Thought they had disowned me
>They bought me dinner from McDonald's
>Because it's my favorite

Lyrical genius
>>
>>74582914
I never understood the appeal of gangnam style and i still dont, same with despacito. They have like nothing special, why the fuck everyone loves that shit so much?
>>
>>74589745
I don't know how she makes it work, but she does
>>
File: 1502504731928.jpg (87KB, 873x465px) Image search: [Google]
1502504731928.jpg
87KB, 873x465px
Hip Hop is the logical conclussion of music. mu only hates on it because of the pol influence here
>>
I have extremely narrow tastes. Almost everything I listen to is rock, R&B, or country from the 50's and 60's. Instead of branching out I just keep digging deeper. Right now I'm buying collections of acetate/demo/home recording which were never intended for commercial release.
>>
File: 1501694224982.jpg (115KB, 981x898px) Image search: [Google]
1501694224982.jpg
115KB, 981x898px
the only genres i truly listen to are metalcore/post-hardcore and pop-punk
>>
When people tell me to play Wonderwall or Smoke On the Water, I have no idea what the song sounds like. I'm sure I've heard of it before but I can't tie a name to the song.

I never liked My Chemical Romance. I couldn't get into it.
>>
>i dont listen to albums in their entirety
>>
File: 1480283463575.jpg (54KB, 720x708px) Image search: [Google]
1480283463575.jpg
54KB, 720x708px
I shitpost in /metal/ all day every day and I've never once listened to a metal album that they normally post in there
>>
>>74590041
same, I used to when I bought them on CD because it cost 20 fucking bucks for one but now I rarely ever do
>>
>>74573927
I can't get into hiphop. It all sounds the same. How many times can you say "suck my dick" etc.?
>>
I usually listen to album half the way through. I hear half of the songs, take a short break, and then listen to the rest
>>
>>74590054
you're half the reason that general fucking sucks
>>
>>74590444
That's actually the way most albums up into the 90s are meant to be enjoyed. They're all split into two sides for vinyl record
>>
File: Devilish.jpg (78KB, 470x595px) Image search: [Google]
Devilish.jpg
78KB, 470x595px
>>74590476
>>
>>74576160
I actually enjoy that album.
I might have exaggerated.
>>74579804
I'll check them out.
>>
>>74573927
I only listen to money store because it was released as a torrent. I thought it was shit and deleted it the same day.
>>
>>74575597
try listening to it on good headphones
>>
I have no interest in 95% of the music /mu/ likes. Sometimes I wonder why I bother coming here.
>>
I think Radiohead sounds like shit.
I secretly like Sunbather.
I have never completely finished a full length Nirvana or Beatles album.
>>
I think Trout Mask Replica is fucking trash and i don't see why people like that album
>>
I hate electronic music. It's the opposite of what music should be.
>>
>>74590989
>I secretly like Sunbather.
eww
>>
I'm ashamed I don't know how to play an instrument but I'd like to learn how to play guitar
>>
>>74579766
This means you're just not an over-emotional, self-pitying piece of shit
>>
>>74580041
Are the other Talking Heads albums just as funk-like as Remain in Light? I'm not sure if I should also give a listen to any of their other stuff
>>
I don't like David Bowie's music as much as the consensus would like me to.
>>
>>74591074
worst in the thread
>>
>>74573947
I hate to agree with Montie but its true.
>>
>>74587331
Pop, funk, jazz, soul, RnB, hiphop, reggae, bluegrass, most dance-based electronic music and a whole other list of genres

It really is not that hard anon
>>
I think K Dot is the greatest rapper of all time.
/mu/ seems to think he is pseudo-intellectual garbage, but that couldn't be further from the truth. Compare Blacker the Berry to something like J.Cole's High for Hours. Kendrick can make a political song without sounding preachy or corny, which is very rare nowadays. That makes him GOAT imo.
I will admit his beats/production aren't the best (still very good imo) but I'm a lyricsfag so that doesn't bother me too much.
>>
>>74592555

In 10 years he'll be in the GOAT discussion for sure. He's about the only mainstream rapper you'll hear on the radio that's even remotely lyrical, and his discography already includes M.A.A.D. and TPAB, both top-tier records.
>>
I have the John Cale compilation album 'Guts' in my library even though I have all the albums the tracks come from solely because I really like the cover art.
>>
>>74592155

A couple tracks off Fear of Music are. Look up the songs I Zimbra and Life During Wartime, you can see that they were already thinking about taking that direction.
>>
File: 1469313365855.jpg (43KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1469313365855.jpg
43KB, 250x250px
I have never willingly listened to The Beatles.
>>
>>74593797
This
>>
I used to think that prog-rock referred to the city of Progue.
>>
I unironically like blood on the dance floor
>>
Not really music related but I thought "unironic" was pronounced like "unicycle" until I was like 15 or something
>>
>>74579820
this tbqh famalam album is life changing
>>
I unironically have been enjoying All That We Have Now by Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

It's like if Attack Attack were actually good
>>
I think that Trout Mask Replica is a stupid joke.
>>
>>74594351
STOP MAKING THIS POST
>>
>>74593874
you're adorable, anon.
>>
No More Shall We Part is the best Bad Seeds album.
Thread posts: 256
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.