[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Addressing the rockist myth of Zappa's "talent"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: album_1431595239.png (2MB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
album_1431595239.png
2MB, 1000x1000px
>music was shallow to the point of evaporating and had no legs to stand on other than being stylized and different. Except saying that it was different doesn't do it justice because his "style" could only be described as random bullshit
>not that this is inherently bad, but he also did it without any kind of charm or sense of self-awareness. It's just tacky and annoying.

>everything he produced was incredibly half-baked, lazy and aimless. I don't think even he knows where half of his albums were going or why they existed. Most of his albums were moderately interesting for the first 2 songs and then immediately delved into aimless, tacky bullshit that just existed as filler and I can't describe because they were so shallow and uninteresting I immediately forgot about them

>lyrical content almost always entailed nothing and was just meant to sound cool, and on the off-chance that it did it may as well not have because it was just embarrassing. I don't know if he actually thought he was making some kind of statement with "Bobby Brown Goes Down", but if it's supposed to be satire he must have forgotten to put the punchline in

>the composition is often nothing short of terrible. It's disjointed, aimless, ugly and irritating to listen to. Uncle Meat consisted mostly of instrumentals and it sounds like it was made by a 5 year old

>released a staggering amount of material and managed to create virtually nothing of interest

>pseudo-intellectual child that repeatedly embarrassed himself on national telivision when asked to provide some kind of case for his music or commentary on the music industry

It's fedora-core. It's just as vapid and easy to digest as the most pleb pop music there is but it has a zany, pseudo-edgy stylization for no particular reason that makes the listener feel like they're cool and different.

Not that I expect any kind of rebuttal to this. His fans are idiots with a surface-level appreciation of music.
>>
Good post.
Make more of them more often.
>>
Yassss, stick it to those boring white men (fingernail emoji)
Have you heard that Kendrick is going to drop a fire verse on Rih Rih's new song? It's gon slayyyyy
>>
>>74572883
> anyone who doesn't have the same taste as me must like (c)rap and speak like an idiot

Wow you really refuted the valid points that OP raised. I love Zappa now.
>>
>>74572883
The sad part is Kendrick is more honest of an artist than Zappa ever was
>>
>>74572883
jfc just because your incapable of defending zappa why randomly throw kendrick under the bus? unless this is just a fish for (You's) in which case fuck (You).
>>
Really into Zappa right now.
I get where these criticisms are coming from,
agree with some, not others, but I still love the
music. It just makes me feel good and I'm glad
it exists. His nonsense and flippancy just click with some people. I think he sounds particularly
poignant in some of his interviews, though
slightly abrasive.
>>
>>74573015
You are so spineless lmao
>>
File: 800.png (146KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
800.png
146KB, 625x626px
>>
This is like the third Zappa hate thread this week, please stop OP, its getting boring
>>
this was actually his last good album. "directly from my heart to you" is actually fucking awful though and kinda spoils it, we get it you're ironically doing a super generic blues rock song why spend 7 mins on it. but the other tracks are great. every album after this one is boring and "aimless", as the OP puts it. But I don't see how you can argue his 60s albums aren't good.

>Uncle Meat consisted mostly of instrumentals and it sounds like it was made by a 5 year old
how is "consisted mostly of instrumentals" a value judgment.
>>
>>74573048
Was I supposed to get upset?
>>
>>74573082
Don't even speak to me, invertebrate!
>>
>>74572883
Imagine typing this post
>>
>>74572820
gonna be a bit extreme here
maybe zappa just isn't your thing?
>>
>>74573110
Just the average Zappa fan desu
>>
His style was definitely peculiar: I'm sure that his comical lyrics, abrupt melodies and experimental approach might turn people off. Still, you can't deny that Zappa was a talented composer and guitarist.
I think you will change your mind when you listen to Hot Rats, Sleep Dirt and Lumpy Gravy.
>>
>>74572820
>the composition is often nothing short of terrible. It's disjointed, aimless, ugly and irritating to listen to.
OP can't into progressive rock. Which is fine, its not a genre for everyone, but complaining that his shit doesn't sound poppy or pretty is a dumb criticism. If you don't want to listen to something rhythmically weird full of wacky chromatic shit then don't listen to Zappa.
>inb4 "its supposed to sound like shit"
>>
>His fans are idiots with a surface-level appreciation of music.

>Uncle Meat consisted mostly of instrumentals and it sounds like it was made by a 5 year old
Now that's a DEEP appreciation
>>
>>74573138
I assume you mean the original version of Lumpy Gravy? That's the best thing to show someone when defending Zappa as a composer, since its fairly conventional and genuinely pretty in some sections.
>>
>>74573138
>>74573139
>>74573147
I disagree
>>
>this astronomical amount of asshurt and shit-taste all in one (1) post
L M A O 4 for effort
>>
Addressing the rockist myth of Rundgren's talent
>music was shallow to the point of evaporating and had no legs to stand on other than being stylized and different. Except saying that it was different doesn't do it justice because his "style" could only be described as random bullshit
>not that this is inherently bad, but he also did it without any kind of charm or sense of self-awareness. It's just tacky and annoying.
>everything he produced was incredibly half-baked, lazy and aimless. I don't think even he knows where half of his albums were going or why they existed. Most of his albums were moderately interesting for the first 2 songs and then immediately delved into aimless, tacky bullshit that just existed as filler and I can't describe because they were so shallow and uninteresting I immediately forgot about them
>lyrical content almost always entailed nothing and was just meant to sound cool, and on the off-chance that it did it may as well not have because it was just embarrassing. I don't know if he actually thought he was making some kind of statement with "Bang The Drum", but if it's supposed to be satire he must have forgotten to put the punchline in
>the composition is often nothing short of terrible. It's disjointed, aimless, ugly and irritating to listen to. Something/Anything consisted mostly of instrumentals and it sounds like it was made by a 5 year old
>released a staggering amount of material and managed to create virtually nothing of interest
>pseudo-intellectual child that repeatedly embarrassed himself on national telivision when asked to provide some kind of case for his music or commentary on the music industry
>It's fedora-core. It's just as vapid and easy to digest as the most pleb pop music there is but it has a zany, pseudo-edgy stylization for no particular reason that makes the listener feel like they're cool and different.
>Not that I expect any kind of rebuttal to this. His fans are idiots with a surface-level appreciation of music.
>>
Can we discuss one of his guitarists?

A lot of people deride "shredder" music as being technical exercise bullshit for people (guitar center employees) who are good at guitar and can't write a good song, and I largely agree with them.

However, Steve Vai seemed to have really come up with some musically interesting stuff when he wasn't playing "guitar hip" riffs and tried to make an actual song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mnv753seWVM

Listen to this, for example. The changes are incredible. Putting aside the massive note flurries and maybe solo, the song is just really cool.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.