[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how essential to music production is music theory? i want to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: download.jpg (8KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8KB, 225x225px
how essential to music production is music theory? i want to produce music but i dont know whether or not i should start with music theory. from what i can tell there are two communities of music production on the internet, the wanna be rappers who follow youtube tutorials and make shitty soundcloud beats, and the 'music purists' who study music theory, listen to only jazz and fuss about 'tamber' while writing cord progressions and fingering their buttholes. im afraid music theory will lead me down the latter path. what should i do, /mu/?
>>
You could always just learn an instrument
>>
of course studyign music theory can only benefit you.
>>
use your ears. nothing is necessarily correct. what IS correct is how you hear and feel about your music. good luck
>>
You should learn theory, itll only make your stuff sound better. You don't need to dive too deep, but having a basic grasp of scales, chords and intervals will make your stuff sound better than just randomly picking notes on the piano roll. There are plenty of free resources on the internet that you can use and aren't too complicated, so it's not too hard to learn.
>>
learning music theory is definitely just more power to you. no harm in doing it
>>
First and foremost, always keep in mind the question of "does what I'm playing sound good to me?" in your head. It's pretty vital. Figure out a way to register what comes up in your mind that sounds good to you as well.

Anyhow, the thing about music theory is that it's descriptive rather than prescriptive, and a massive helpful tool that you can use to make finding what you think sounds good easier. It's not something that comes up that naturally, but after a while you get the gist of how music theory works. And that means that you'll take far less time turning something that comes up in your head into the sound you want.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.