[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Jesus fucking WEPT IT CLICKED!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8

File: trr223.jpg (1MB, 1400x1400px) Image search: [Google]
trr223.jpg
1MB, 1400x1400px
Jesus fucking WEPT
IT CLICKED!
>>
If it just clicked, explain the appeal of it to me, sell me on it. I've never listened.
>>
>lol the universe made nearly 3000 people die and started a war so 10 people could listen to my shitty ambient music
This has got to be the ultimate "people pretend to like it" album.
>>
File: ott.png (45KB, 196x183px) Image search: [Google]
ott.png
45KB, 196x183px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE8OlFNB_ac
>>
>>74535126
Imagine not having a mind of your own and having to rely on a critic to articulate your opinions for you.
Pathetic.
>>
>>74535090
It's really hard to explain why a thing so subjective as music and art is great, but there's something about these drones fading that are really beautiful and thought provoking. And it has nothing to do with the all 9/11 thing because I loved this album before I find out what it's all about.

>>74535095
>people like an album I don't, lol they must be pretending xD
>>
>>74535163
>It's really hard to explain why a thing so subjective as music and art is great,
no its not. use your words and think you buffon.
>>
>>74535149
Imagine not having a mind of your own and having to rely on a critic to articulate your opinions for you.
Pathetic.
>>
Literal audio heaven: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UBWgeSJlWw
>>
>>74535182
not interested in writing an essay to a 4chan anonymous user. If you wanna know so bad you can always read critics and be open to disagree with them. I don't feel the urge to explain I like things, I just do and that's good enough for me.
>>
>>74535234
Not them but I mean, if you're going to gush about an album you should at least gush about parts of an album. I have never seen this album before this thread so all I've picked up is it's ambient and inspired by 911. I have no idea what the atmosphere is like because "beautiful" and "thought provoking," are really vague with the latter probably being the worst term used to describe music and the former being the most subjective. Use your words, at worst you'll look like you don't know what you're talking about but at least then you invite in the opportunity for growth. I challenge you anon, sell me why I should give this album part of my day and if you brush it off like you did the last guy then you're a turkey and that's that
>>
>>74535422
It was made right before 9/11
>>
>>74535422
i agree with this anon. people are too afraid to make mistakes in fear of getting called out., just do it. no one expects you to say anything complex or something, just a simple breakdown on what exactly makes this album so good in your opinion.
>>
>>74535508
It was made in the early 80s you fucking incorrect pile of shit.
>>
File: 1378081260169.gif (2MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
1378081260169.gif
2MB, 400x225px
>>74535558
>>
>>74535054
no it didn't, that's just stockholm syndrome
>>
>>74535607
not how that works, kid
>>
>>74535422
Not the guy you're responding to, but I'll give it a shot anyway because I agree that people should just say why they like it or what the appeal is.
It actually wasn't inspired by 9/11. The albums were finished ON 9/11. The creator, William Basinksi, sat on his roof with his friends watching the attacks, the music in the background. The album covers are from his recording of the last hour of daylight over New York on 9/11.
The albums are actually less about the music themselves as they are about the music destroying itself. It's a collection of, as the title implies, loops, shorter loops of ambient music recorded on magnetic tape. They were older recordings that Basinski was trying to save by transferring them to a digital format. The tapes had deteriorated so bad over time, though, that as they passed by the tape head they started to fall apart, causing more and more gaps and cracks and empty space and loss of entire instruments. He decided to record the complete deterioration of the tapes, and added a reverb effect.
You know how Trent Reznor said that the repetitive section of the last track on Add Violence was the song slowly killing itself? Yeah, The Disintegration Loops are that, but it actually makes sense this time because the loops are actually destroying themselves.
I find them beautiful. That's why I enjoy listening to them. That may not sell you, but that's my reason.
>>
>>74535231
I'm gettin' on 16 minutes in. Does it change up whatsoever?
>>
>>74535422
If you insist I might give you a quick rundown why I like this record. Again, this description is gonna be subjective only, because there aren't many things to discuss about the "music" itself.

The Disintegration Loops I is a moving experience who makes me think about my life, how fleeting life is and how we're here for a matter of a second. Its layers of drones drown me into its own world, its own colours. It's like being removed from the music. Have you ever got that feeling of nostalgia? Maybe nostalgia for something you haven't lived? People you never met? This record is boundless, flows endlessly. Is it repetive? Sure it is, but it gives space to a atmosphere to be created, it's the sound about being human, about our lives, about time. Evocative, accidental and at the same time so hypnotically well put together.
Ambient albums are really hard to rate compared to regular music... but anyway. Basinski is a special artist for me. I still remember perfectly the night I listened to this video and what did I see with my eyes closed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04n3WAtnudA
>>
>>74535665
No, it sucks dude. Listen to some real drone like La Monte Young, Rhys Chatham and Pauline Oliveros.
>>
>>74535658
Wow, I've known about Disintegration Loops for years and have been meaning to check it out. I guess I just never saw the cover or it slipped my mind since I really did not recognise the image. Also didn't know about the recording process and that sounds pretty killer and will be downloading it the next time I can get on WiFi.
>>74535698
This was a nice contrast to the anon above since you provided more context to what feelings the album brings out of you instead though as you mentioned that is a lot more subjective but is just as equally important, at least in my opinion. This was a nice attempt that you should definitely try to make a practice so you don't get called out again. You're not a turkey, anon~
>>
File: htrs.jpg (59KB, 500x310px) Image search: [Google]
htrs.jpg
59KB, 500x310px
>>74535698
this is actually a lot more complelling than most opinions shared on here about a specfic piece of music. being able to technically dismantle the record and its inner workings while giving it context in regards to genre or time is cool but that crit is devoid of anything human imo. id much rather hear how a piece of music makes someone feel, where it took them and how it changed them (if it indeed did). makes for a subtantially more interesting read and its sort of akin to hearing someone recount a dream they had. keep at it anon, dont be intimidated by the rest of the rabble in here.

now i understand ppl want to bicker back and forth and intellectually condescend each other on here so music being talked about in this manner will probably never gain any traction which is a pity.
>>
>>74535665
the point is it gradually and naturally"disintegrates
"...... duh
>>
>>74536291
Guy who explained the context and content of the album here and finished off by saying that "I find them beautiful".
It's really hard to explain WHY I find them beautiful. I listened to them earlier this year, during a period of suicidal depression that came literally out of nowhere. I don't remember who recommended them to me.
Honestly, >>74535698's explanation is similar to mine. It feels like you're pulled into this ocean of sound, outside of the world around you. I've only experienced that with one other album, Giles Corey's Deconstructionist, and that actually gave the opposite effect of TDL. I'm terrified of Deconstructionist.
But yet, TDL gave me similar feelings. Of being lost from the real world, of being awash in its ocean of sound. And yet, while I'm scared of Deconstructionist, TDL remains one of the most beautiful pieces of music I've ever listened to. I listened to it when I was in a dark place, and while I won't say that it "saved" me or "helped" me, I'm glad I listened to it when I did.
>>
>>74536025
>>74536291
thanks for the words, guys
>>
>>74535665
It's called The Disintegration Loops because it disintegrates. It's a very slow, gradual change. Move the pointer to the end, then compare it to the beginning and you'll see.
>>
>>74536537
Hopefully we can all get through this thing call life
>>
>>74535126
he's right though
>>
>>74537188
I just try to be there for my friends and family. I feel like I'm not worth the effort, but they should have someone there for them. They deserve to be happier than I am.
>>
>>74537228
dont agree with this mind set desu. but im also unsure of how to convince you to think otherwise :/

maybe think about the happiest youve been in life and then just think of life as a quest to make moments like that happen more frequently i guess
>>
>>74537292
I'm happiest when the people I care about are happy. That's why I have that mindset.
>>
Can someone explain what's going on to someone who doesn't lurk moo?
>>
>>74537432
nothing wrong with that then. i was just kinda thrown off by the feeling like you're "not worth the effort" (which you are).
>>
>>74537921
Well, that's nice of you to say. Thank you for saying it, even if you don't know me.
>>
File: cozy.jpg (47KB, 359x360px) Image search: [Google]
cozy.jpg
47KB, 359x360px
>>74537898
>pseudo-esoteric album finally clicks for someone
>they make this thread
>someone asks what they like about it
>OP express's an inability to properly explain his thoughts on the music
>/mu/ acts mature and sends some words of encouragement
>OP express's their thoughts in a rudimentary but sincere fashion
>you post
>>
theres just so much dynamic and interesting ambient music out there, idk why you'd listen to this by itself ever
>>
>>74537976
This is honestly the comfiest fucking thread in months, all others turned into shitflinging contests.
>>
>>74535126
oh wow, what a fucking arrogant retard
>>
Silent Night>The Disintegration Loops
>>
>>74535095
You are kind of right. The message behind the album is retarded new age wank. The music is great though, so I still like it against my better judgement.
>>
>>74535126
this fat fuck has everything right except his weight, you should listen to him.
>>
>>74537938
no prob my guy.
>>
Is deteriorating loops a kind of subgenre of ambient drone or is it just super niche? I've never listened to OP, but I like Elegy by I am A Lake of Burning Orchids, which seems similar to descriptions of TDL. It used to have a video on youtube but I can't find it now
>>
>>74535126
Chris Ott basically made a career out of being a cynical douche but he's actually spot on in this one
I periodically rewatch it just because it's so entertaining to watch him rip Basinski a new one
>>
File: front.png (249KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
front.png
249KB, 600x600px
>>74535543
Yeah this
All the actual discussion on this board is so fucking boring because nobody wants to out themselves as a """pleb""" so instead everyone just circlejerks the same few albums in the vaguest terms possible
It's nauseating

>>74538001
Also this
The concept is really interesting and if the tracks were actually a reasonable length I would be really into it but it's not worth listening to an hour of the same fucking loop slowly breaking apart even if it is cool to listen to. The artificial pops and reverb are way over the top and take me out of it a little too

>>74535095
>>74535126
Most of all this
I finished a bunch of acoustic demos last night, if I make the album cover a picture of the dude getting hit by a car in Charlottesville that has nothing to do with the music and shouldn't affect the way it's interpreted. Except The Disintegration Loops is the exception because a couple dumbshit journalists bought into the story and pushed it so hard it became an inseparable part of the album's story
Ott is a pretentious fuck but I actually think he makes a really interesting point about how one Pitchfork review all but canonized this album and its backstory. Although it's not like TDL is the only album Pitchfork did that to in the same time period (hi Broken Social Scene).
>>
File: anxiety.gif (2MB, 200x149px) Image search: [Google]
anxiety.gif
2MB, 200x149px
>>74535126
wtf i hate this album now
>>
>>74536408
underrated
>>
Just listened to the first one. The idea is intinteresting but kind of basic. To me it seemed like a metaphor for life. You know, life is fucking long and repetitive but it subtly changes and turns into something else. And then you die. I can see why he chose those pictures for the album covers because it's also kind of like a day ending.

It was interesting to be forced to focus on such a short loop and see what was happening to it. I mean that's unusual in music, things holding still long enough for you to see all the details. More like photography or whatever.

Something about it bugged me though: it seems pretty solipsistic. Like, while listening to it you inevitably end up thinking about your own life, your past, that you're going to die, etc. etc. But we think about ourselves all the time already -- this just gives an artistic veneer to that self-absorbtion.

The 9/11 stuff seems like complete bullshit. I can understand where Chris Ott is coming from there.

Why are there four? Like if it's just the same thing what's the point? Nothing about the loop itself was especially interesting (although it produced a certain atmosphere).
>>
>>74538588
I'm not sure if your analogy is quite right because the Disentagration Loops cover is really kind of beautiful on its own. I didn't even realize that it was a picture of the 9/11 attacks for a long while after discovering the album. Otherwise though I agree
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.