[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /mu/ think of Bowie?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_7736.jpg (76KB, 468x538px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7736.jpg
76KB, 468x538px
What does /mu/ think of Bowie?
>>
>>74514659
I don't if I can help it.

5, 6 good songs, no solid albums.
>>
Has there ever been a more /fa/ musician?
>>
>>74514659
I like Heroes more than Low (though both are great albums
>>
>>74514676
Not even Ziggy?
>>
>>74514659
Legend
>>
>>74514659
massively overrated, released like 3 good albums
>>
10/10, the greatest artist in rock history.
>>
David Bowie turned marketing into the essence of his art. All great phenomena of popular music, from Elvis Presley to the Beatles, had been, first and foremost, marketing phenomena (just like Coca Cola and Barbie before them); however, Bowie turned that into an art of its own. With Bowie the science of marketing becomes art; art and marketing become one. There were intellectuals who had proclaimed this theory in rebellious terms. Bowie was, in many ways, the heir, no matter how perverted, of Andy Warhol's pop art and of the underground culture of the 1960s. He adopted some of the most blaspheme issues and turned them upside down to make them precisely what they had been designed to fight: a commodity.

Bowie was a protagonist of his times, although a poor musician: to say that Bowie is a musician is like saying that Nero was a harp player (a fact that is technically true, but misleading). Bowie embodies the quintessence of artificial art, raises futulity to paradigm, focuses on the phenomenon rather than the content, makes irrelevant the relevant, and, thus, is the epitome of everything that went wrong with rock music.
>>
>>74515016
>poor musician
He wasn't technical on any instruments as far as I know but he was a really good singer and a great songwriter (unless there was some ghostwriter I don't know about. Which would be extremely disappointing.)
>>
Blackstar is the only album I really like by him. I tried listening to his Berlin Trilogy, couldn't get into it.

>I WAS LOOKING FOR YOUR ASS
>>
>>74514676
fpbp, sadly. i will say that Heroes (the song) is among the best songs of all time
>>
He has a few good songs but overall he is overrated
>>
People who say he is overrated fail to realize he consistently reinvented him over many years while creating unique music that still fit that era's fad
>>
I like Bowie and what he stood for, even though I'm not sure what he stood for. He made amazing music and awful music - he was a legend
>>
Bowie is an absolute legend, everything about him is what i aspire to be, he wasn't perfect, and never claimed to be, he was just a cool dude all around

I'm not a prophet or a stone-age man
Just a mortal with the potential of a superman
>>
heroes and low are his only great albums
>>
>>74516188
You wouldn't consider Ziggy, Scary Monsters, Hunky Dory or Station To Station great?
>>
He never surpassed The Laughing Gnome. That was one of the greatest masterpieces of music in history.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SQdBxVjZx4
>>
I really like what I've heard of his, although that's not much. Blackstar and Scary Monsters are pretty fucking sweet.
>>
>>74516208
scary monsters and station to station are alright, the other two are corny glam trash
>>
>memewie
>>
>>74514676
He has probably 20-25 great songs, but his albums are all somewhat patchy. Station to Station is the most consistent.
>>
>>74516212
Fuck that noise. Blackout is easily the best track released under his name.

I mean, a lot of it also hinges on the contributions of Fripp and the drummer in this case but by god, if it isn't the hookiest piece of music put to wax.

Also, generally speaking, even if Bowie can be accused of superficiality to a degree, I think his enthusiasm for the arts and his final works show that he was someone who at least had some passion or belief in what he was doing. There were points, like with The Next Day or Blackstar that he could have phoned it in, but in the case of the latter, the album was sent to the press two months before release to ensure it was judged on its own merits, rather than being viewed as an "epitaph".

I think also, his enthusiasm for music as a whole shows that, even if he was playing the chameleon himself and very carefully trying to market surface level retreadings of the then current counter culture, he was still the man who not only managed to bring together so many great musicians to actually achieve his creative vision but also assisted Iggy Pop in A) getting clean and B) producing The Idiot.
>>
>>74514659
He's so dreamy
>>
>>74514680
Kanye
>>
File: imge4994.jpg (784KB, 1700x3423px) Image search: [Google]
imge4994.jpg
784KB, 1700x3423px
>>74514676
do you even listen to bowie?
>>
Don't get the love for Ziggy. There's a couple of good songs but overall it seems to be the lesser parts of hunky dory and the lesser parts of aladdin sane, both far superior albums.

1) Hunky Dory
2) Low
3) Aladdin Sane
4) Station to Station
5) Heroes
6) Ziggy

Those are all the albums of his I've gotten through so far. Still listening to stationtostaion and starting to love it but I just find it creepy knowing how fucked up he was on it.

What should I check out next?
>>
>>74518902
after Station to Station the obvious choice would be The Berlin Trilogy. then Scary Monsters. After that jump to The Budha of Suburbia and Outside. Heathen, Reality and The Next Day are solid albums. But really the best way to enjoy Bowie is by going through his discography chronologically.
>>
>>74518902
Lodger is my personal favorite, so i'd recommend that
>>
>>74514659
name a better rock star
protip: you cant
>>
File: 1499399017775.gif (2MB, 400x319px) Image search: [Google]
1499399017775.gif
2MB, 400x319px
>>74516815
shit taste desu
>>
>>74514659
more like Memewie lmao
>>
>>
>>74519716
NOOOOO
>>
>>74519716
You cannot be fucking serious
>>
>>74519716
god the 90's sucked. between bowie going full smash mouth and bagel bites its enough for me to lose my nostalgia glasses.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.