[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

shitty jazz opinion thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: tonywilliams.jpg (33KB, 240x309px) Image search: [Google]
tonywilliams.jpg
33KB, 240x309px
don't worry i'll get y'all started

> john coltrane's sound was too bright and tinny. he wrote great music but his sound brought it down by a considerable margin

> mingus wasn't a very good bassist

> "freddie freeloader" has the laziest head i've ever heard in a tune. i encourage simplicity over technical complexity but this is just unimaginative

have fun jazzfegs
>>
>>74509991
Joe Pass was a better guitarist than Wes Montgomery
>>
>>74509991
WTF?? I'M SO OFFENDED. FUCK YOU ANON!!!!!!1
>>
>it's almost always hilarious when people try to talk about jazz unless they either play jazz themselves or have been listening to it heavily for 10+ years
>>
File: art.jpg (272KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
art.jpg
272KB, 2000x1000px
>>74510300

"it's the only jazz i like"
>>
A lot of Free Jazz sucks.
>>
Miles' trumpet playing is pretty shitty
>>
The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady is the best jazz album/or the only good album ever made.

Sun Ra is a brilliant, innovative musician.

The Epic is one the best modern jazz records.

Karma is a good/decent/the best spiritual jazz album.
>>
>>74510137
I really like Joe pass
>>
File: jazz.jpg (95KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
jazz.jpg
95KB, 720x960px
Oh so you like jazz, then who's this?
>>
Oh no, please don't call the most acclaimed jazz musician in history "tinny", whatever shall I do
>>
>>74509991
I don't like Miles
>>
>>74509991
All pre-Bebop Jazz is not worth a look
>>
>>74509991
The problem with Coltrane wasn't his timbre, it was his ability (or lack thereof) to play with his band.
He is a fantastic solo musician who deserves all the praise that comes to him, but often times his solos escape the band he's playing with to a point where you could cut and paste them over any rhythm section.
Tuning is also an issue, as the soprano work in the acclaimed My Favorite Things is very out of tune.
The album "Expression" was a good concept but the solos were aimless and Pharoah's piccolo work was even worse in this respect.
I love a majority of his catalogue, same with Pharoah, bitchrant over
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.