[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/prod/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 306
Thread images: 21

File: 1502387092864.jpg (231KB, 885x886px) Image search: [Google]
1502387092864.jpg
231KB, 885x886px
ACTUALLY READ THIS IF YOU'RE NEW

Welcome to /prod/, a place to discuss music production, sound design, engineering and all things related. Discussion is encouraged, ignorant assumptions will be mocked.

Upload WIPs on https://clyp.it/ or https://instaud.io/

GIVE and RECEIVE feedback. The more specific you are about asking for feedback on your song, the more likely you are to get useful replies! DO NOT post Soundcloud, YouTube or any links where you are not anonymous. That is considered self promotion and will result in bad feedback!

--------------------------------------------------

>Production Resources
https://pastebin.com/08mwwiAV (embed) (embed)

>/prod/ Wiki - Guides and Tutorials
http://mu-sic-production.wikia.com/wiki//mu/sic_Production_Wiki

>The Art of Mixing
[YouTube] The Art Of Mixing (A Arte da Mixagem) - David Gibson (embed)
>Intro to Synthesis
[YouTube] Intro to Synthesis Part 1 - The Building Blocks of Sound & Synthesis (embed)

Previous thread >>74469940 (Cross-thread)
>>
Im having a hard time getting the 808s to sit in the mix. I have an 808 a bassline and kick. Is there a specific order I should try sidechaining these in?

https://clyp.it/ochmdsan
>>
>>74502597
You're having trouble because they're all fighting for the same space. In the heavier part move the bass line up an octave and let the 808 take over, opposite for the verse

Sidechaining cant fix arrangement problems

Interesting stylistic idea, not meshing all the way yet though. The guitar also needs to be tighter
>>
https://discord.gg/Yg5S5R
>>
File: 975389753975390.png (25KB, 1352x728px) Image search: [Google]
975389753975390.png
25KB, 1352x728px
Seriously, the gold strip is just freemasons/illuminati, isn't it?
>>
>>74503398
No, they're just fixated on things that don't help them accomplish the end goal, or don't care about ending up with a good song.

People in that gap are often mistaken for the goldies when they tell you your recording sucks ass and there's a limit to cheap gear.
>>
>>74503398
Also that image is kind of bullshit because there are a fuck load of established guys giving out instructions or showing how they did something
>>
>>74503862
There are some unintuitive 'eureka' techniques that go beyond good mixing and recording practices that sometimes get let slip though. Just to give you an example, I'm not really a fan but there's a vid of flying lotus covering his laptop with his hands so the cameraman can't see what chain he's using. He's not hiding the levels on his mixer is he?

And there's an 'artist tips' thing with disclosure where they say their kick has that thump because it's just a 909 lopassed layered with an acoustic kick hipassed and tape hiss to fill out the sound but everyone does that now and it doesn't sound like that. Same with the ed banger stuff. It's something like them putting a pre-fx send to a slightly delayed reversed impulse response of a toilet bowl with a haas effect with the sub boosted but the dry kick has the low end taken out or something like that. I saw some guy on gearslutz who came to a very similar conclusion independently of me, obsessing over it and everyone was like dood it's alesis 3630 jus sidechain it.

There's definitely shit like that going on that they keep close to their chest.
>>
hello /prod/ do you think the quality on this is good enough for me to be distributing songs with this recording method? the song itself isn't exactly the quality of playing (esp vocals) I want but this is proof of concept of my recording/mastering method; I am recovering from a repetitive strain injury of 2 years so i can only play for minutes a day for now

thanks <3
https://clyp.it/0cimgci3
>>
Hi /prod/
I'm just starting and have got Ableton Live Lite 8, I want to upgrade it because it's too limited but I can't afford to pay the full version because poor. I wanted to pirate it but I have things recorded that I don't want erased... Is there a way to do so? Like a Crack or something idk. What do you recommend? Should I just download a different DAW?
>>
>>74504159
Well for individual sounds unique to an artist duh of course.

What's that eb kick? Sounds interesting I'm going to make some kicks like that low 8)

>>74504165
Distributing as in putting online or whatever, yeah for sure. I'm not sure what you're asking beyond that- I don't think this is all the way there yet desu, it's pretty roomy/same mix wise. Then again I can't judge this fully because of the music... and I've been awake for too long

Gn /prod/ sweet dreams tomorrow is another chance at making your best song yet (:
>>
>>74504324
Just export what you recorded and keep it dummy.

Yes just get ableton 9 suite it's killer. Ok gn for real this time
>>
reaching the storage limits of my shitty macbook air.

from a performance standpoint, would pic related combined with a 256sdxc card be adequate to use as a place to store projects, samples, and install plugins with huge libraries?
>>
File: technomate.png (435KB, 552x451px) Image search: [Google]
technomate.png
435KB, 552x451px
Posted this in last thread, but still looking for more suggestions :(

I'm aware that if I want to make the kind of techno that I like, I need a TB-303. The problem is, any free VSTs I find are terribly hard to use. Is there any free, baby-tier VST that I could use to start getting a good acid/techno bassline sound?

I'm very unskilled and I use FL Studio.
>>
https://clyp.it/br3tothb?token=ebde0ecba8004eff17fc1c2f952582ee
From a project im working on
Lower the volume if you don't wanna hurt your subwoofer
>>
Hello guys, does anyone know if the Steinberg UR22 MK2 USB interface is multi-client?
>>
>>74506353

Chances are that the MIDI interface will have a multi-client driver, and since the USB controller is class compliant it'll handle audio streams from multiple programs in Windows Audio (DirectSound/WDM drivers) and CoreAudio scenarios - where you might fall down is when you're using an ASIO driver with your audio programs, Steinberg developed the ASIO standard and they purposely built it to be a single-client protocol, so it's likely that you won't have multi-client access to the ASIO driver out of the box.

They did develop a solution for using multiple ASIO-supporting applications simultaneously though and I've added the link to that below - you'd still be out of luck if you want to stream audio from a web browser and use an ASIO application at the same time though, since most (that I'm aware of) browsers can only use Windows Audio and ASIO by design locks that out.

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=48
>>
is the vocals needing a double to mask it up??
https://55chan.org/mu/src/1502522432217.ogg
>>
Can someone identify which kind of distortion is being applied here?

I don't have the exact originals, but two different examples.

Original
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwre4JstX_A

Garbled/Distorted
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y86iPEUh90

I would be very grateful if you helped me identify how to obtain the second example's output. I have some idea of how can be achieved, but I don't want to influence your answer.
>>
>>74503398
Just send the artist an email.
>>
>>74505217
zynaddsubfx

its standalone though not sure how it works on windows youd have to route midi to it then its output back in
>>
>>74508726
If nobody knows, who may I ask?
>>
You know I've always been interested in the conspiracy theory that big label producers and engineers use certain sounds in their music to make the song addictive. It's subtle but it's there. Keep in mind these are world class engineers and they know more about sound than any of us so I wouldn't doubt it.
>>
>>74508726
>>74509543
first of all wtf

it's just a vocoder. not distortion

>>74510279
>use certain sounds in their music to make the song addictive.

sylenth supersaws and harmonizing vocals i tell you man
>>
>>74501109
Hey guys im wondering what are some ways to achieve the guitar tone/sound in these songs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce3xOgg9mtk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iprm5f78CA0
>>
>>74510279
Have any more info on that? It sounds interesting.
>>
>>74510279
You mean common chord progressions plus pentatonic scale melodies?
>>
>>74510468
Or rather, it's a vocoder, not just distortion
>>
Hey guys, what is the best plugin to make a track more ambient.
>>
>>74510639
>>74509543
>If nobody knows, who may I ask?
>Or rather

you're striking me as a giant faggot rn and i can't put my finger on it

no, it's probably just a vocoder, or *very* subtle, inaudible distortion if there is any. white noise and feedback can get you sounding pretty fucked up.

>>74510723
more specifics required

reverb obviously
>>
>>74509420
Do you know where to pirate it?
>>
>>74511539
it is a free synth stop shitposting
>>
>>74511567
Oh sorry
>>
>>74503398
Pros spend more on the listening environment than anything else, and they also work on music full time for years. You work on it part time on consumer gear...I mean you can still write good songs, but don't obsess over the mix because there's no point, it will never sound that good, especially on a wide variety of systems.
>>
>>74504159
True.

Sometimes it's not even the big guys doing that.
For example I discovered/created a set of interrelated techniques that AFAIK nobody knows (and for how far I've looked, if they know, it's a very well kept secret) that's incredibly powerful for both sound design and mixing.
I was completely mindblown when I had that "eureka" moment, and I've further developed them to a point where it can give me sounds that nobody ever heard before, and I'll never tell anybody.

I'm also pretty sure it's very hard that other producers thought about it, because it came from me wondering about something that very few people do, but I've been doing for many years.

Too bad the rest of my skills suck, so my music isn't that great, but I'm pretty sure when they'll be on a competitive level, these new secret techniques will make the difference and make my music stand out.

And this is just one guy in his bedroom.
Imagine all those guys who have an extremely deep knowledge about one or more aspects of production and work on it for years developing their own way of doing things and exchanging them with other equally competent people.

I have no doubt there are techniques that only a few top-level guys know and don't share with anybody.
But I'm also pretty sure that they're rarely gamechangers. It's mostly just ways of getting a specific sound or making something sound very good.
>>
>>74503398
should i not tell anyone how i make my stuff if i'm getting gud?
>>
>>74511661
post clyp
>>
>>74511661
Can you post a track with your special techniques?
>>
File: 1422504178587.jpg (60KB, 714x684px) Image search: [Google]
1422504178587.jpg
60KB, 714x684px
Folkfag here. Halp me build babby's first studio.

So if I spend about $600 on

>mics
>recording interface
>monitors
>stands, cables, etc

I should be good to start fiddling around and recording my stuff? My music is all acoustic and sometimes I sing with my instrument.
>>
>>74511748
>>74511755
I'm not gonna post anything because I know you'll be analyzing them front to back, and I can't risk that.
In fact, I'm even going to limit their usage on my actual releases, until the moment where I'll know they're going to get enough attention to make them "Anon's sound".
Because if I use them too soon I'm afraid that someone bigger than me will reverse-engineer them and become famous off of them.

If they'll reverse-engineer them AFTER it's been made clear that it's my sound, then it doesn't matter because I'll still be able to make a carer out of it as "the originator" of it, like everyone who was first to make a subgenre or a "sound".

My music is pretty shit anyway, so it's not like there'll be much to listen to.
>>
>>74511814
yes for sure
>>
File: 1474446036981.png (282KB, 480x542px) Image search: [Google]
1474446036981.png
282KB, 480x542px
>>74511834
wew lad
>>
any good hearted one is doing nothing and could listen to something to me
i'm needing 3rd opinion on which vocal take to use. or if i use both doubled, or double only at some point

take 1
https://55chan.org/b/src/1502563429228-1.ogg
take 2
https://55chan.org/b/src/1502563429228-0.ogg
>>
>>74511834
Hope you get better at track making then. :^)
>>
>>74511869
Take 2 is much stronger and fits that backing better. But you didn't provide any context so I don't know what feel you're going for.
>>
>>74504561
I have a 200gb.... runs solid. I keep samples on there.
>>
>>74511861
I don't care if you don't believe me.
I just said that to add to the conversation, not to brag or convince anybody.

But just think about it... If you had a revolutionary set of techniques that you think will be a gamechanger once out in the hand of the other producers, and you think will be the jolly that will make your chance at success realistic, would you keep it as secret as you can, or risk revealing it before you can use it to your advantage?

It's also possible that I'm a retard and they're not gamechangers at all for one reason or another, but until I'll be 100% certain of that, I won't risk my (realistically, only) chance at success.

>>74511897
Thank you my friend.
Best of luck to you as well.
>>
best plugins for creating more atmospheric, spacey sounds?
>>
Is there a sustain/expression pedal with just a switch on it, so you can plug it into a synth hit the switch and have it drone?
>>
>>74511814
MXL 990/991 package
JBL 305s
Any 2in 2out interface (they are all the same)
ATH-M50x headphones
An extra pair of cheap headphones (when you get into that collab life)

Sweetwater and Amazon have a lot of start up kits that come in under $600 that you should check out as well.
>>
>>74511908
context is its a cover, i suppose youve heard it before?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qkuv1yGHg40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBk9p0AZU-8

its a quite mellow song, but seems my cover went to a stronger feel because of electric guitars (only did it cause i dont have an acoustic).
maybe i use the 1st take on the beginning, then change it to the 2nd take when it gets tougher with the full band?
>>
>>74503398
I remember a few years ago reading a series of Twitter threads (or chains, whatever they're called) by some big EDM guys talking about some supersecret technique that let you sample any kick from any song and have it almost as clean as the original sample.
They were all "oh yeah, cool stuff, BIGNAME taught it to me" like a secret club.
Then one of them tweeted something like "is it that multiband gate thing?", and from there it took anyone with a brain minutes before understanding how it was done, and the secret was out.
Turns out some guy posted about it on some forum months/years before and got some "that's really neat, bravo!" responses, but it wasn't really popularized until the famous guys talked about it, and now there are several youtube tutorials about it or variations of it.

The same goes for another technique that either Madeon or Porter Robinson said the other taught him (don't remember which is which), about using phase inversion to get "mastered" stems for live shows from the final master of the complete songs, but I never thought too much about it so I still don't know how it works.

Just imagine how many of those there are and nobody says anything publicly about them.

Just think about all those artists that are mediocre until they get signed, they start touring, meeting, and collaborating with other pros, and suddenly their skills go up exponentially (both musically and technically).
Of course the pros share tips and tricks with each other.
>>
>>74512015
I knew it was a cover, when I say context I mean how does it relate to the rest of your music/sound? But it sounds like you just solved your own problem right there
>>
>>74502597
>https://clyp.it/ochmdsan
I think the intro goes a tad long, maybe try distorting those 808's a little more.
Cool Track tho. A little bit like rage.

>>74504165
Not really studio quality, sounds a little like it was all recorded in a living room all done live off the floor. That appeals to a lot of folky hipsters though, so you might have a shot in that market. I would try tracking individually next time.

Made this idea today, it's very rough and still empty in a lot of spots. the vocal shops in the build are rough and sloppy, still lots of edits to be made. Just trying out an arrangement and idea. If you ignore the mix and just take it as a musical template for an idea/song, what do you guys think? Just want some general feedback and if the contast and drops work with how light the intro is.

https://clyp.it/dwqgggoz

thanks /mu/
>>
File: 1431735564204.jpg (8KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1431735564204.jpg
8KB, 200x200px
>>74512010
Sweet dude. I'm really tired of recording my shit with one little handheld mic. Also I already have M40x's and I just love em if anyone was eyeing em.
>>
>>74512120
ah sorry
>how does it relate to the rest of your music/sound
i dont know

is it a good idea to do it that way, or take 1 is just too weak?
>>
>>74504165
I'm going to disagree with the other anons and say that it passes as studio quality. You have some nice natural (sounding) reverb that you could really do something with. Work on polishing it and you'll have something marketable.

>>74512192
I like the idea and the mix is decent. Here's my criticism: Trash the rising tone thing before the cool breakdown. Give that bass kick some more weight and move it around a bit more rhythmically instead of just "bup bup bup bup."
>>
>>74512290
Take 1 is pretty weak, desu senpai
>>
Anybody know of a good condenser mic for acoustic guitar and mandolin?
>>
>>74512336
can you tell me what time the rising tone thing is at? im not quite sure what you're talking about? thanks for the quick response
>>
>>74512347
i'm helpless
>>
>>74512441
Oh it was just that little transitional thing :37 - :41. Personally I don't like those as a way to get to the next measure. It's your song though bub
>>
>>74512366
why not just use a sm57

since its a dynamic mic, it has a narrow focus, so you get one of those stands to get the instrument stand still and not cause oscillations on the sound the mic picks up
>>
>>74512490
oh that filter sweep. Yeah I threw it in there because the transition without it kinda skipped too suddenly without that to distract the ears. I didn't do this song to a click or on the grid or anything. i kinda just follwed that sample of the girl and went from there so there's a few areas that dont really click together so well so i have to layer it up to blend those transitions. any suggestions for that part?
>>
File: 1431654259155.png (105KB, 425x444px) Image search: [Google]
1431654259155.png
105KB, 425x444px
>>74512565
I hadn't even considered this, thanks guy
>>
>>74512635
you go do things and i stay sitting here wondering about stuff and not buying a stand to myself and recording by trying to keep the guitar still
>>
>>74511992
seconding this
>>
>>74511992
>>74512719
>>74510723
reverb. what else could it be
>>
>>74512745
granular synth are good for ambient
>>
>>74511992
Go to one of those enormous, ancient churches in Europe and record in there
>>
>>74512745
>>74512719
>>74511992
reaktor and reverb boy
https://clyp.it/vkbmu2zv
>>
When information about music says it's "written by" someone, ar they talking about the composition or the lyrics?
>>
>>74513443
it's case by case
>>
music production is difficult
>>
File: me no understand.jpg (19KB, 369x295px) Image search: [Google]
me no understand.jpg
19KB, 369x295px
>>74513463
>>
kind of a specific question, but does anyone know if the Korg MS1 microsampler has pitch change functionality?

What I mean by that is the sampler I currently use, Ensoniq EPS 16, has the ability to alter the pitch of a sample based on which key is played in related to whatever key on the keyboard you set as the "base"

I love the machine, but it's too slow and takes up too much space. I'm looking into alternatives, but haven't found anything that has a smaller footprint.

The ms1 looks like it has that functionality, but I'm not sure since most videos I've watched on youtube are for beats. I mostly want to sample something like a droning pitch/oscilation/whatever and make weird, warbly melodies to stay at the bottom of the mix as much as possible, but still be somewhat audible.

Should I just keep using the EPS, or would an MS1 do the trick (or any small footprint alternatives)

Thanks!
>>
>>74504354
>>74512192
>>74512336
Thanks guys I guess when my hands (its really tightness in the arms though) is healed I'll do an albumn like this

in case anybody wants to know how it's just recorded in a tascam dp 008 eight track with both mics active (seems to make it warmer and nicer than just one) at once while a few good feet away then ran through landr's mastering tool
>>
>>74513518
I don't see why key you set for the base for the sample matters that much.

If you want to know more about any synth/sampler the best place to go is the manual.
>>
>>74511814
If you get all that for 600$ it will probably all be pretty cheap and you'll end up upgrading everything later. I would start out with getting just mics and an interface, and save the monitoring for later.
>>
>>74513646
no, the base key doesn't matter (helps if its same key as whatever pitch sample is, like sample is a note mostly C then base key for sample will be C, so if I play a key that's C# the sample is sped so its C#)

No manual, I don't have MS1 so can't have the manual. Why would I buy a manual and no machine? I already have and read the manual for EPS which is what I use. I'm a good reader and I understood what it told me to do.
>>
>>74513776
You don't have to buy a manual you can just look one up online. http://www.korg.com/us/support/download/manual/1/248/1850/
What year are you stuck in man?
>>
>>74513518
Is it a 16+? If it is you should keep it
I own an ASR10 and can't stop using
>>
>x new posts on thread
>no (you)
>>
>>74514528
Iktf man, what's your post?
>>
what's the difference between mixing and master?
>>
>>74514636
mixing is when you work with individual tracks (kick, snare, guitar, vocals etc) and get them sounding good together. That gets exported to a stereo file. Mastering is when you make that stereo file sound better using various techniques.

put very simply
>>
>>74514554
this one
>>
>>74514747
thanks
>>
>>74513850
it's 2017 but I feel like I'm in 2047 because I'm an old soul occupying a young body. The voice tending the light told me I have 63 years left on this earth.
>>
>>74514791
>The voice tending the light told me I have 63 years left on this earth.

man that sucks. who wants to be old <.<
>>
haha heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
>>
>>74514819
Whomst setup or is it a store?
>>
>>74515109
Looks like a store based off the boxes on the bottom.
>>
File: 20170512_070444-01.jpg (873KB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20170512_070444-01.jpg
873KB, 2560x1536px
How do I market my songs? Not spamming in SoundCloud threads right
>>
>>74515649
Play live shows and get some local buzz going.
>>
>install vocalign
>check if its on the vst folders
>rescan vsts on reaper
>try to use vocalign
>vocalign not on the fx list
reeeeeeeeeee what do
>>
>you will never bleep bloop with the best of them

Its impossible to know where to start, might asw ell not even bother
>>
>>74516120
jfc it's been like a week what are you doing man
>>
I'm thinking of downgrading my PC to a laptop. Is there a difference in recording through a PC vs a laptop?
>>
>>74516142
less for your money and you have to worry more about it being noisey

pretty sure that's it
>>
>>74516133
>you'll never have your friend compile and produce your aimless recordings into a good album
>>
>>74515649
>Not spamming in SoundCloud threads right
nope that's actually exactly how
>>
File: 20170512_070155-01.jpg (1MB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20170512_070155-01.jpg
1MB, 2560x1536px
>>74516013
So open mic nights? I'm not in a good area but there's one

>>74516391
By right do you mean review and add as many as possible so your backlink list is huge?
>>
>>74516134
a week of what
>>
>>74516142
Other Anon who replied is right but remember laptop is more portable and not noisy if you get the right one
>>
Where do you guys get your drum samples?
Samples Packs
Pirated drum machines
or do you make your own?

What are good websites for samples packs for a cheap price?
>>
>>74503174
Is there no way I can get them to occupy the same space or a space very close to one another? I got something I think sounds good through aggressive EQing and filtering but for future tracks ill def work on the arrangement issues. Thanks for the advice

>>74512192
Thanks mate. Rage is def an inspiration, but so is Young Thug haha. Im not sure if you're serious about distorting those 808s more because I already feel like they're laughably distorted.

I dig the track. I think some grimier sounding percussion coming in after the drop would be cool.
>>
>>74516903
I downloaded a rar with like a GB of drum samples and haven't had to bother since.
>>
>>74516903
/r/drumkits

making your own is for tryhard fags (but i still do it occasionaly with kontakt shit)

i recently discovered actually organizing your shit and deleting everything you don't need and won't use makes getting good drum sounds about 10x faster :)

>>74516941
>occupy the same space or a space very close to one another?

extremely aggressive subtractive eq. i don't recommend that as this is a really easy fix by just getting rid of one of the things fighting or just changing the song. just don't write parts that are in the same octave, nobody needs two bass lines lol
>>
>>74516903
I just use the roland meme machines and a few old 80s digital drum machines samples. If that doesn't cover it then I just synthesize my own.
>>
>>74516120
how do i make VocALign work on reaper anyone
>>
>>74516120
>>74517090

Is it a recent version of Vocalign? The newer versions are VST3 and would install by default in a different folder to your VST2 plugins - you might need to tell Reaper (Reaper v5 onwards supports VST3) to look in a different folder for Vocalign
>>
>>74517090
>>74516120
god damnit google "reaper not finding vst" or some shit you lazy fucker

are you sure it's 32/64 bit matching your daw (i know you pirated it you jew)
>>
>>74517110
i copied the .dll and .vst3 file it created on common files folder to a vst folder that reaper was already looking at
>>
>>74517113
my reaper is 64bit, it would recognise if the vst was either
>>
>>74517157

The Common Files folder is the default location for VST3 plugins - Reaper (if your version supports VST3) would know to look there.
>>
>he doesn't use soundfont drum kits
>>
>>74517187
yeah i know, yet vocalign doesnt show for track fx
>>
>>74516903
drum machine samples mostly
>>
>>74517276

I don't use Reaper so I'm unsure about this, but I do know Cubase has a different menu for insert effects and some plugs only show in there - is that a possibility for Reaper too?

Failing that, is there a plugin manager page in Reaper, so you could see if it sees Vocalign at all?
>>
>>74517342
no, i checked vocalign reaper on youtube and they use the same menu as im looking at

will look for a plugin manager on configs
>>
hey guys this is /prog/ right
I like rush, do you like rush
>>
>>74517449

No, this is /frog/ you came to the wrong place.
>>
iZotope Ozone Elements is on sale for $30. Anyone use it?
>>
Came across this recently with really no idea who this is but couldn't find any other music related stuff when I looked does anyone else find this sort of suspicious? (even though it's garbage)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ny3cI6J-Oo
>>
>>74517376
>>74517342
trying to download another one
>>
>>74516903
Get some Akai libraries off vintagemusicsamples.wordpress.com and pull the data off the disc images with Extreme Sample Converter. The dumbshit idiot running the blog rips it all in MDX format though so you have to get Daemon Tools, Lite is good enough, and convert them to ISO for Extreme Sample Converter to load the Akai format disc images because Windows won't know what to do with them. Or install the driver for Daemon Tools that lets you mount a disc like it's a real disc drive.
>>
>>74518088
what are those a bunch of stock mpc stuff?

sounds like a bit of work for a library
>>
>>74518001
Good enough for her age. In fact it's almost impressive. Also she's cute, she could make the shittiest of music and she'll still have more listeners than the intricate experimental shit we all try to make.
>>
>>74518179
Some stock, some third party. Yeah it's a bit of work but it's how you get the authentic 90s sound if you want it. Kinda tired of hearing Vengeance.
>>
>>74518064
fuckin vst installer deactivarted windows security central thing and is now running a bunch of empty cmd teminal windows, what the fuck
>>
>>74510468
It's a game. A very fucked up one.

Someone else suggested it could be a ring modulator. I've heard it can be confused with it.

>>74510815
rn?

I'm not actually looking to replicate exactly, but to get a similar effect. So a list of usual suspects would be better than the culprit itself.

What do you mean by subtle distortion? The two samples are quite different. Do you have any examples of white noise and feedback applied to voice?

>you're striking me as a giant faggot rn and i can't put my finger on it

When I can, I fuck girls.
>>
>>74518235
kek
>>
>>74518210
I feel like someone is doing it for her but maybe I only say that because when I was 11 me and all my friends were still sucking each others cocks all day, there's also a skype convo she left in for some reason too could just be me tho
>>
all i wanna know is how dr dre gets so much clarity in his beats, especially in 2001. everytime i hear that album im overwhelmed by how clear his instrumentals are

and dont tell me its because of mastering because theres plenty of hip hop albums that are mastered obviously and arent as clear as that album
>>
>>74518270
>What do you mean by subtle distortion?

i meant that as a compromise to your insistence that there's distortion being applied. it's not a ring mod, but that could be cool as well.

>Do you have any examples of white noise and feedback applied to voice?

settings on a vocoder. i only use ableton's stock one, others may have more settings i'm unaware of. i can't think of a loooot of songs with it atm but once you're familiar with that sound it's always obvious when you hear it. the only one i can think of is in nin's ruiner when the verse picks up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkT-aMgZvQI

(might have to listen with some good headphones, lots of layers)
>>
>>74518381
>I feel like someone is doing it for her
I thought the same, but I try to not be an envious faggot and avoid thinking like that as long as it doesn't mean being naive. If she's been having music classes since very young then it's not incredible that she can make something like that, although she's obviously being assisted.
>>
anyone have any insight in how to get an old school vocal sound with that vintage reverb? kinda similar to stuff like the everly brothers or other oldie stuff like that
>>
>>74518422
>and dont tell me its because of mastering because theres plenty of hip hop albums that are mastered obviously and arent as clear as that album

>(You)?
>>
>>74518492
spring/plate verb, hardpanning only
>>
>>74512111
>The same goes for another technique that either Madeon or Porter Robinson said the other taught him (don't remember which is which), about using phase inversion to get "mastered" stems for live shows from the final master of the complete songs, but I never thought too much about it so I still don't know how it works.

I figured that out when I was a tween and I wrote it down in a notepad file in a hard drive that died. It was something like if a song has a beatless repetitive textural/melodic intro then the drums kick in, you copy a sample of the drumless intro and phase invert it to play along with the loop that's played with the drums so you just get the drums. It was something like that, very hazy memory but I think you had to shift the phase inverted loop a few decimal ms and it wasn't always straight up clean. I'm sure I read later that people used that to cancel out hum and noise.

If anyone has any links to this technique help me out. I'm sure I posted this on 4chan a decade ago and I think it got ignored.
>>
>>74518449

This
>>74510639
wasn't me. I have a very basic and theoretical knowledge of this topic.

Can you suggest a more obvious example of white noise and feedback or a simple way to reproduce it myself? You guys operate at a different level, and I just want to get some weird effects for my not-yet-even-a-game-demo.

>>74518449
>>74510468
Thanks for all the input.
>>
>>74518545
you just described it though?

that was never a secret lol, that's just people knowing how phase works and electronic musicians copy and pasting shit.
>>
>>74518622
bruv just throw a vocoder on some dialog and fuck with it. that was the only song i (remember) know of. it's not a super common technique desu
>>
>>74518687
Any recommendations? I'd prefer it to be free and multiplatform, but let me know.
>>
>>74518632
ahh but there was something else to it that i've forgotten, i remember trying it and it washed out frequencies of the drums, there was another component that made it sound like a proper stem that i simply can't remember
>>
>>74518487
Yeah, I'm the same way it's hurt me in the past but just look at her chords I doubt she has a musical past. I've noticed a huge influx of ""producers"" on youtube I wouldn't be surprised if this was all assisted for views (((money))).
>>
>>74511661
You should at least write up a will stating you bequest your microtonal ASMR wub to the general public

If I ever got big I would just tell all. Like Tycho does, nice guy. Because if everyone knows how to sex up their sound it won't be the hidden knowledge havers that get the biggest accolades it will be those with the best artistic ability and it'll have a positive effect on music.
>>
>>74508726
>People really think it's a vocoder
Engrish is DecTalk set to have a breathy voice, later on there's flanger with extreme depth and rate and / or frequency shifting.

Garbled is either ringmod or frequency shifting, but they're both related effects as frequency shifting is essentially two ringmods.
>>
>>74518001
>>74518210
She's being assisted but I can still tell she's very smart for her age. Even just to retain all that stuff and understand it. She'll probably release some mad shit when she grows up. Yes I jelly.
>>
>>74518954
Great! I'm interesting in hearing different opinions.

The Engrish voice (at least of the first guy) seems to be the "whisper" voice of the "say" command on mac OSX. I've been able to replicate it with espeak from Linux and addingthe voice file.

My focus is on how to get the garbling effect of the second link, so I can apply it to other voices.
>>
>>74518954
it was only me

i renounce every post i just made telling him it was a vocoder (first response was at four last night ish and i never went back to listen to it again but followed up not remembering what i heard)

thx for the correction
>>
>>74508726
Definitely a ringmod
>>
>>74519039
Garbled is also DecTalk but with a ringmod. Sounds like a high pitch voice, maybe a woman or child, and then ringmod.

You can get DecTalk for free, it's an old old program. It's also built in to FL Studio under Speech Synthesizer in the add channel list.

http://www.theflameofhope.co/dectalk/430/Dectalk%204.3.zip
>>
File: 1491554585691.jpg (29KB, 240x250px) Image search: [Google]
1491554585691.jpg
29KB, 240x250px
>>74511601
I actually have the money to buy some genelecs, room treatment, an X-desk, a rack full of vintage processors and a lexicon plate yadadada

But I'm too embarrassed to buy it. Because what if I just suck forever and get stuck with all this pro gear like a spoiled idiot? I want to figure out how to get the best possible sound out of a few cheap analog monosyths, some decent monitoring headphones/ns-10 copies and plugins and only then think about splashing out.

Do you think this is the wrong way to go about it? Will that expensive stuff really help all that much? Because I can torrent waves mercury and still sound amateur but I see Dave Pensado get shit popping out of the speakers with the exact same plugins.
>>
>>74519287
*note I don't torrent anything except for waves because they put stupid price tags on plugins made in 1999 that have artifacts and shit in them
>>
>>74519287
Use a audio interface and use your daw as a mixer/recorder and just pirate effects. When your music isn't as crappy just move up to pro gear.

Maybe you might want to try a really good sequencer for your synths like a cirklon or squarp
>>
>>74519287
Speakers and room treatment, yes. Way more necessary than analog gear
>>
>>74519287
>what if I just suck forever and get stuck with all this pro gear like a spoiled idiot? I want to figure out how to get the best possible sound out of a few cheap analog monosyths, some decent monitoring headphones/ns-10 copies and plugins
thisthisthisthisthis my dude
>>
>>74519339
waves have to be the biggest jews in the plugin market
>>
>>74519287
>not ending up like synthmania
>>
>>74519368
I hear people saying stuff like this elektron sequencer has better timing than DAW midi. I've heard people say that old as shit atari's have the best timing but I don't know if it's true.

I have a beat up yamaha qy700, does that have better timing than ableton's midi? I have a fireface ucx, I don't know if that improves the timing of the DAW's midi. As you can see I have big gaps in my knowledge.

>>74519396
I can't figure out the draw of analog gear. I have a yamaha CS-5 and an MS-20 mini and a lot of the time I find it harder to sit it in the mix than Diva. The only concrete things I know is that you can have a super fast attack on an analog compressor without that scrapey sound and it doesn't take up CPU. Maybe my hearing is green.
>>
>>74519287
>Do you think this is the wrong way to go about it
yes. expensive shit helps a lot.

the "just use cheap shit until your pro durr xD" comes from a few things that end up causing a lot of confusion because the idea of sticking to budget stuff is never fully expanded upon.

>better gear=/=better music
>a pro with shit gear can make better music on it than you (so you should just practice until you can to right?)
>good music is still good despite bad recording quality
>people feel bad because they can't afford expensive stuff or feel like they don't deserve it so can't justify buying it

budget mics will never sound like neumans going through neve whatever the fuck pres, synth1 is never going to sound like serum, your 5 inch monitors are never going to reach into the low end you need it to. The biggest handicap people willingly place on themselves imo is monitors- it's much harder to learn to mix and master if you can't hear what you're doing, and it's going to take 5 times as long if you don't have the low end you need, or you're stuck using headphones. the key reason to spring for some good monitors, even if cheaper pairs can eventually reach the same result, is that they cut out all the guess work (because you can't hear) and just make the process faster.

imo, cop some *good* monitors, a reliable interface (doesn't matter as much if it's not for recording) komplete or whatever synths interest you, and that desk if you don't have a space set up.

With those quality basics, you won't have any excuses but you also won't have wasted a bunch of money on extras that you didn't need or won't be able to take advantage of. anything you need beyond that will become apparent when you know what you're doing.
>>
>>74519396
it's really hilarious to see studios with eurorack shit and expensive synths everywhere and 6" KRK monitors with no treatments at all
>>
thoughts on preset based mastering like Ozone Elemnts?
>>
>>74519519
guy's a tard

I mean to be fair what he's doing is basically standard for anyone with a decent paying job and hobbyist level interest, but it's not like he does anything notable with the shit he has. It's just a fun way to waste money.
>>
>>74519610
>I have a beat up yamaha qy700, does that have better timing than ableton's midi?
yes, probably

Computers generally suck for MIDI unless you use Expert Sleepers USAMO or similar.
>>
>>74519287
>Will that expensive stuff really help all that much?
Depends; the gear doesn't make the musician, but as other anons pointed out there's some benefits to be found in it. Keep in mind that it's also entirely possible you'd be just as satisfied with cheaper gear instead, though.

When I went full hardware I started out with a little groovebox and then got to acquiring different bits of gear only when I needed them. I only got the cheaper low-end used stuff (I don't think I ever spent more than $300 on a single piece of hardware) or kept an eye out for occasional deals on ebay/craigslist/reverb and eventually wound up with a budget setup that I'm completely content with.
>>
>>74519675
>preset based mastering
don't be a faggot

i have an older version of ozone and it's quality

can somebody redpill about the newer versions? i read something about it changing a lot from 5 to 6 or 7 for the worse and people hated it/kept the older one.
>>
>>74519610
>I can't figure out the draw of analog gear. I have a yamaha CS-5 and an MS-20 mini and a lot of the time I find it harder to sit it in the mix than Diva.
In general you'll get a better sound more easily with software.
>>
>>74519650
A lot of those guys do the actual mixing in another location. The home studio is more for just drafting demos.
>>
>>74519645
>the "just use cheap shit until your pro durr xD" comes from a few things that end up causing a lot of confusion because the idea of sticking to budget stuff is never fully expanded upon.

It's kind of funny. I used to struggle with shit gear and had a hard time getting a good sound of it (effect processors especially). But now that I'm experienced I can get a good sound even using comically terrible gear, worse than anything I had when I was starting out.

That's not to say you should stick with shit gear, but it's okay so long as you're willing to work within what it can do well.
>>
>>74519792
More often they don't record anything at all, or just make really shitty horrible stuff.

Also if you've got enough money for that gear I don't see why you wouldn't just have a decently equipped home studio.
>>
i make sample based music and have been using an old ass casio piano for triggering samples and shit

I plan on picking up a push/push 2 but i dont want to spend extra for the push 2 unless its really worth it. I hear the pads are a million times nicer on the push 2 and the new additions make it easier for sampling (seeing wave on the screen and adjusting start/stop times of pads) but its also about twice as expensive looking at used pushes. I have no problem spending more IF its that much of an improvement over the original push.

If anyone has any insight or owned one or both id like to hear your opinions on it
>>
File: 89763978369.png (636KB, 1024x724px) Image search: [Google]
89763978369.png
636KB, 1024x724px
>>74519762
There seems to be a culture of synthesists who talk about analog in mystical terms. I remember Bob Moog saying something like there was some sort of telekinesis/supernatural thing between the human and analog synth and he built the fucking thing so maybe he was onto something?

I just don't get it. Yet I really do like BOC/SAWII/Vangelis and stuff like that but when I get a go on a good vintage VCO poly I get that it sounds better but I still don't see the 'magic' that they're implying.
>>
>>74520083
Meh, it's people being overly precious about shit, stroking their own egos and wanting to show off to everyone how much money they can spend. It's setting yourself apart based on what you own rather than what you can do.

Ultimately there isn't really any "magic". I owned and used a bunch of vintage shit and I never really fell in love with any of it. Some of it can sound very good, but with very few exceptions it doesn't sound better than a Minibrute or Minilogue or good software.

Most of the synth pads on SAWII are a DX100 anyway.
>>
>>74520083
The Bob Moog redpill is that he was actually a hack. I'm 99% sure all he did was make a decent modular system and the minimoog, then his entire career after was making slight variations on the minimoog.
>>
>>74520265
uhh no, he had a PhD in electrical engineering, invented the first really good voltage controlled filter, conceived of the first successful synthesizer products when the idea didn't really exist, etc.

I think you're greatly underestimating what went into making the Moog modular and Minimoog.

Kind of a shit businessman though.
>>
>>74520166
https://clyp.it/tk5fnnmn

got the polygon window sound on a DX7
>>
>>74520730
yeah most of that shit was DX100, Roland R8 with the Electronic card and some sort of monosynth, sometimes Casio FZ-1, plus a shitty effect processor (Quadraverb or Midiverb or something). Complete crap gear, really.
>>
>>74519757
>dont be a faggot

how do you mean?

>i have an older version of ozone and it's quality

yeah izotope is the goat
>>
>>74520083
I don't think it matters if its analog or digital, its the fact that its tangible object which leads to it being treated better.
>>
>>74520937
i mean don't use presets to master, actually learn to use ozone

i'm drooling over iris 2 and trash rn but i'm a jobless bum atm :^(
>>
I want to buy DSI rev2 for my first hardware poly synth. Any suggestions?
>>
>>74518545
I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing here.

What they have is a final mastered song (in a single wav file, complete with every stem, that's been processed to sound better by a mastering engineer) and individual stems for it (like the exact same bassline, lead, drums, etc) but they don't sound as good as the ones in the final mastered version, so when they do their live shows and play those stems individually they want them to sound like they do on the final master where they've been processed by the mastering engineer.

One of them allegedly taught the other how to use phase inversion (using, I assume, the complete mastering wav and the individual stems) to have the individual stems sounding as good as in the final master, so when they play them in live shows it will sound like they're playing different versions of the song that was mastered the same way by the same engineer.
>>
>>74518422
It's good sound selection/design (with good processing), good arrangement, good mixing, and last but not least, good mastering.

In other words, you need to know when a sound is good, then you need to EQ it, compress it, and do whatever to make it sound the best, then you need to use it in an arrangement (with other top quality sounds) where it won't clash too much with the other sounds in the same frequency range.
At this point you should have a pretty good-sounding and clear song, but you send it to a good mixing engineer, that will make each instrument/sound reach its full potential by setting them at the right level at the right time and employing EQing, compressing, panning, etc.
Only then mastering is applied like the icing on a cake.
If everything before the mastering was done properly, the engineer will only need to set the songs at the right level for cohesion within the album, and maybe make them a bit louder.
If there were mistakes or sub-optimal decisions were taken, the mastering engineer will some times try to fix them, usually with disappointing results.

TL;DR: To get clear-sounding music a good mastering isn't enough. You have to have good everything before it.
>>
I wanna start recording rap at home. Any resources about what mic/headphones I should buy for a hip hop home studio?
>>
>>74519119
>>74519170
Thanks a lot! One last question. How should I get the ringmod effect without spending a lot? I will try to get it done using sox. If not, I'll try to build a basic one myself (the schematic is easy), but I've seen very expensive physical ringmods.

I'm guessing that for my application, the expensive ones would be overkill and unnecessary. Can you confirm that or am I wrong here?
>>
what headphones do u guys use?

i have monitors and they are cool for mixing

although i have m-50s rn and i use them a lot but they aren't very detailed. i just need something with a bit more detail
>>
Torrenting Vocaloid for the first time, the entire thing is 71 GB (3 libraries and the program itself)
I decided to download only the newest library (V4) which is 33 GB, but I want to know if the older V2 and V3 are worth downloading
>>
>>74519051
I didn't see this post on time. Thanks for chipping in anyway! Get as much sleep as you need. Thee was a guy on another thread that had gone 90h without a meal. Take good care of yourself before taking good care of music. It surely pays off in the long run.
>>
I wish I was Kanye West
>>
>>74527431
kanye west is a human. you are a human. therefore you can become as skilled as kanye west. will you ever think like kanye west? no. but you can maximize your OWN creative power.
>>
>>74527462
thanks anon. I need to believe in myself.
>>
Has anything actually good ever come out of these threads lls
>>
>>74527490
you're welcome. im a kanye stan too, and obviously a producer so I know how you feel. your average kanye fan just enjoys the music, and that's beautiful. but we both enjoy and attempt to understand it. beautiful dark twisted fantasy still got me fucked up.

>>74527512
what do you mean? it's just a place for producers to chat.
>>
>>74527512
Yes, I just don't post anymore as I'm about to be signed.
>>
what you fuckers think about this?

https://clyp.it/vle201yq
>>
>>74527670
what makes his music so good? It's good as fuck, but I don't know why.
>>
File: Screenshot_1.jpg (231KB, 1334x820px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_1.jpg
231KB, 1334x820px
>>74518235
it installed a bunch of toolbars and other type of bullshit software
i uninstalled them all, also tried to use the system restore point but it failed. it keeps opening cmd windows and browser tabs. its not only risky to keep using this shit cause i can be being spywared but its also impossible with all these crap opening up. will take the chance and upgrade to windows 10
>>
>>74528690
plz be joking???

don't use that shit wtf
>>
hey can y'all point me to your clyps that aren't trap / trillwave / variant of minimal house?
>>
>>74529185
win10? ive read its faster and efficienter than win7, just have to use some debloaters to get rid of the microsoft spywares and ram-consumiung crap
>>
>>74529411
This >>74505641
Genre is halftime dnb
>>
>>74529411
Took like 10 minutes yesterday >>74512867

>>74529524
I meant about your pirated vocalign

I'm not a fan of 10 but I've got no idea about how 7 runs now. It works most of the time I guess
>>
>>74505641
It's not so much that the bass is loud, it's that everything else is quiet. With this extreme you can't have both, you'll have to properly mix this.

I don't care for the midrange sound either, it sounds weak and thin, like it has nothing to do with the ridiculous booming zappy kick. Remove some distortion from the sound, mix the bass and midrange together, distort them a little together. Maybe they'll gel better without having to completely redo the sounds.

>>74512867
It's interesting but I think you're using the reversed swishy sound too much, it makes it less special and a bit like a run-on sentence. It felt like it should have stopped at 3.542 with the snare or or at 4.300 with the strange pluck. I think it'd be a more compact and purposeful motif and frankly that section is the most rhythmically viable, the rest almost seems random in comparison. Try changing the kick that comes right before the snare on a 16th to something more subtle so it leads better to the snare since right now it's two hard sounds one after the other but the second is more important. Perhaps a soft lowpass and a shorter amp env, maybe a little less attack as well.
>>
>>74528690

Where did you get the plugin from? Even public torrent trackers like TPB would have comments saying that this happened to them, did you DL from a direct download site instead?
>>
>>74529747
(Reaktor guy)

Lol it was completely throwaway but I'll keep the overuse of that swishy sound in mind next time. The higher pitched synth was randomized from a sequencer in reaktor. :p
>>
>>74520009
I spent literally all of my savings on a used push 2 which was in mint condition.
At first I regretted it instantly cause I thought I'd be one of those guys who just buys expensive shit and never uses it or makes good music. I got depressed for a few days but now I'm using it every day and I gotta say it wasn't ever this fun to make music before. I finally "get" the concept of clips and ableton . The scale mode is godsent and super helpful. Also you mess around with parameters way more than if you'd have to click them now that you have knobs to turn.
Also the pads. PADS PADS PADS
Get the Push 2. It's really that good. Only thing I'm worried about is the planned obscolence. Meaning this fucker will probably break in 5 years or so. So I'm not sure if you can call it a real instrument just yet.
> tfw it looks like a star trek device when the lights are out in your room and this badboy blinks
>>
what MF Doom / King Geedorah song is this from

https://clyp.it/xdaxewow
>>
>>74522403
can you explain that to a newbie? who is they?
>>
>>74529747
I kinda meant for the sub to be very strong and almost sound like it's pink noise lowpassed and compressed (even though it's not how i did it) so besides lowering its level i feel like not changing that. Also i wanted the kick to be hard hitting but not have much high frequency activity, similarly to the kick in Koan sound - strike, but i guess i went the wrong way about that one. Though im definitely gonna give the mid freq sound more effects and automate them so it has more variety throughout the drop, so thanks for making me think of that.
>>
>>74529524
>just have to use some debloaters to get rid of the microsoft spywares and ram-consumiung crap
Malware OS. Great...
>>
>>74529893
a public tracker - idope. its probably the same magnet as the ones on tpb
>>
>>74530041
It was Beer
>>
>>74530638

Which version did you manage to find? The most recent Windows version I can find on Pro Audio Torrents is SynchroArts.VocALign.PRO.VST3.v4.0.5-AiR - there's a good chance that more recent versions are bogus and have been taken off the site.
>>
>>74530041
one beer you faggot just use shazam
>>
https://clyp.it/ozdlachu
making hip hop is easy af
>>
how can I make my drums sound all boxy like this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_kId3diDRA
>>
>>74530239
>can you explain that to a newbie?
I'm not sure I can dumb it down more than that Anon.

What is it that you don't understand?

>>74530239
>who is they?
Madeon and Porter Robinson. Famous EDM/electronic music producers.
Please refer to the original post here [>>74512111] for context.
>>
https://clyp.it/jdxun45s

Little demo of some light use of Acon Digital's DeFilter on KPR-77 drum samples. First unfiltered, really tinny and awful to listen to, then smoothed out (maybe too much) by selectively matching to pink noise and reverbed a little.

Really cool tool, and it doesn't fuck up transients unlike another defiltering tool I've tried.
>>
>>74531907
how do you phase invert something that isn't the same thing? You don't get the individual mastered stem but the whole package of frequencies which were changed, don't you?
That doesn't make sense to me, but maybe I'm a newb
>>
File: ys.png (332KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
ys.png
332KB, 720x540px
>decide to make a beat
>open daw
>get anxiety because you may not be able to produce anything satisfying
>close daw
I never asked for this
>>
>>74531777
This specific effect sounds like a bit of crossover distortion and then a lowpass and highpass to make it midrange-only like a telephone effect. The crossover distortion will crunch it a little and remove some reverb / tails from the drums and make them boxier as well.
>>
>>74531998
As I said, I don't know how it works.
I'd have to try it one day though.
I'd start with trying to "extract" the difference between the mastered and unmastered version and try to cancel it with a version of the unmastered with just one of the stems missing, and things like that.
Because it has to be a sequence, and not just canceling two files with each others once.
I just don't know the right sequence, but I never tried.
Maybe someone can be so kind as to try it because I don't have time or mental energy to do it right now.

Or maybe they were lying kek, I don't know.
>>
>>74512111
>>74522403
>>74532126
Man, phase cancellation really is the best technique.
>>
>>74531677
Is this supposed to be finished
>>
>>74530979
the one i believe had the viruses didnt even have a version on the title kek
>>
>>74532051
thanks, do you prod for a living?
>>
>>74532674
I fuck women for a living
>>
>>74532739
fucking whore
>>
>>74532674
No, I doubt anyone here does.
>>
>>74532019
is this supposed to be shit posting? nice image
>>
>>74532660

I'll grab 4.0.5 from Pro Audio Torrents for you if you want, and if you're happy to DL it from a free file upload service? It's been on the site for a good few years now so if it was at all dodgy it would have received comments by now.

I'd also look into downloading Hitman Pro to clean your computer up if you're having trouble with System Restore points not working - once clean I'd then use Disk Cleanup to delete all of your recent restore points and then create a new one.
>>
>>74531777
Sounds like you could use a bitcrusher or something like bitspeek, but I'd guess they probably recorded the vocals through an actual phone or some circuit-bended toy and then chopped it up.
>>
>>74529961
welp fuck tomorrow is my birthday and i think ill be copping it.

appreciate it
>>
I've recently been making some good shit I really enjoy and can't stop listening. Anyone else have this feeling before?
>>
File: Cratediggers1.png (165KB, 665x419px) Image search: [Google]
Cratediggers1.png
165KB, 665x419px
There was a digital cratedigging website called Cratediggers.fm that dissappeared without a trace. It use the discogs tech to find music in the style of real life crate digging

Anybody know what happend?
>>
>>74534170
So they hosted the tracks to all these albums for people to listen to as well? If so it's pretty much guaranteed they got taken down for copyright infringement.
>>
>>74534297
No, it was all linked to youtube
>>
>>74534147
Yeah but then I listen to similar tracks from other artists and I'm reminded of how much room for improvement there is.
>>
https://clyp.it/rxkisttz

WIP of some film soundtrack, I'm never able to mix strings properly. Until I include them in the mix, everything fits together fine, but with them it becomes too chaotic. Now, how much chaotic it is, only you could tell me, because I've been listening to it for too long. Looking forward to some feedback.

P.S. - might be loud.
>>
>>74534170
that's a pretty cool site
but you could actually go out cratedigging
>>
>>74532900
i want it, would be really great.
after running this hitman pro ill be safe to log in stuff without risk of being keylogged?
thanks
>>
>>74535556
Do cracks commonly sneak keylogging in? Wtf

I've heard of bc mining but I didn't think they got so malicious
>>
Will I get screwed over if I use a random field recording from Archive.org?
>>
>>74535974
i doubt it
>>
>>74535686
i dont know, they could have done anything

do you use vocalign yourself and still have the installer file? could you upload it on anonfiles?
>>
>>74535556
>>74536084

Just in case you're two different people - here:

https://www.anonfiles.cc/file/def15cee1d6f07f32da9858a08a7bd11

I've archived the whole folder as a single zip file, but the download inside that is the untouched release.
>>
>>74536274
>>74535556

And as a separate answer - no malware cleaner is 100% reliable but Hitman Pro is pretty good at cleaning the common, regularly-used threats.
>>
Not sure where to post this but i love the way joji layers his vocals and create harmonies and shit. I'm not sure where to start in creating this myself. Do I layer myself singing each note of the chord progression or should i just experiment? I dont have a strong music theory background
>>
>>74505217
303 emulators are a myth, none of them can scream like a real 303
>>
Anyone know the name of that overdrive/saturation plugin Alessandro Cortini uses? Or any other nice light saturation plugins.
>>
Let's say I take a song and use exactly the same chords and song structure, but it sounds completely different otherwise. Is it still illegal?
>>
>>74537761

Grey areas, all of them - look at Billy Ocean's "Caribbean Queen" with its similarities to "Billie Jean" - Caribbean Queen won a Grammy ffs and the similarities were there but as far as I'm aware no-one got bitten for it.

Then again, Joe Satriani took Coldplay to court for something that - although reminiscent - wasn't as plainly similar to his song as Caribbean Queen was to Billie Jean.
>>
>>74537761
That's completely fine

>>74537206
Soundtoys decapitator probably
>>
>>74537939

Oh and another belter although this was eventually thrown out - Frenchman Jean Ledrut accused Joe Meek of ripping him off for his hit record "Telstar" and Joe didn't see a penny in royalties til the matter was settled after his death.
>>
>>74537939
Fuck I never noticed. It seems pretty blatant now, but it does have a different progression and structure. Just a bunch of suspiciously common elements.
>>
>>74537991
That's it, thanks man.
>>
>>74538022

It always reminded me of those songs you hear on TV ads where the ad company was too cheapskate (or didn't get clearance) to use a piece of music, so they paid someone to try to capture the mood of it instead.
>>
>>74538099
Caribbean Queen is pretty catchy tho. They didn't need to rip Michael Jackson off to make it a hit.
>>
what are good poly analog synths?
>>
File: 865389765397539.png (47KB, 147x158px) Image search: [Google]
865389765397539.png
47KB, 147x158px
>>74535556
>Not intentionally being keylogged so script kiddie Anatoly begins a descent into madness from following your unhinged internet ramblings
>>
>>74538767
I deleted all social media and only post on /mu/ and /x/ so maybe

>>74538308
I would bu a mopho x4 if I had money or the desire to use analog stuff
>>
>>74538308
It depends what sounds you like and your budget. DSI is a meme though.
>>
Most of my shit gets really noisy when i don't think it should, is an external soundcard a must for producers?
>>
>>74538308
Depends on budget but there are options. I've heard good things about the log minilogue
>>
whats a good way to add music to your drums? when making hiphop beats, the drums and 808 movements come easy. it's just everything else I struggle with.
>>
>>74539322
have you tried chords? what about voice? maybe bass?
>>
>>74538308
>>74539042

Fuck DSI

I lived off beans and toast to get a Prophet 08 and the filter is fucking shit

Why can't they just reissue the classic polys. Getting a good condition one is some elitist shit where you have to pay out the arse to specialist refurbishers, buy anything vintage on ebay and it's mostly likely the seller is a chancer stay shtum about some hidden fault that you only find out after the return policy expires.

Why can't they just reissue a Juno-60 or Polysix or something.
>>
>>74540339
And yes I know there are some artists who get a good sound out of the 08 like legowelt but it's still lackluster
>>
>>74503398

when will people learn mixing is subjective and doesn't make a song good or bad

a shit song will always be a shit song
>>
>>74540339
You forgot to add
>makes the only somewhat affordable new polysynth for years
>magically adds a bunch of features and lowers the price when behringer makes a polysynth
>>
>>74540413
Straight up compositional turds have been polished into cash cows because of studio tricks. There are countless cases where the rough mix of a song wouldn't get anywhere.
>>
>>74536274
thank you so much man, really grateful. you can have a bit of my ass
>>
Why am I always not satisfied with my musical output when I try to make something?
>>
I just made something that was going to be great but ended up crap :(

>>74540688
Maybe you don't put any effort into it and end up with crap? Explain you thoughts on your music.
>>
>>74540731

>I make 4 bar loop. Beats and ambient synth pads
This sounds okay.
>I'm done. *Turns off machines*
>>
Which is the cheapest midi controller that I can attach a pedal to? I just need to trigger record/overdub but fucking guitar footswitches are to expensive for what I actually need...
>>
>>74540790
Not the guy you're responding to, but I end up doing the same shit. It always seems to be a pain to fit a sequence to a drone or a drone to sequence.
https://clyp.it/1lstwl2l
>>
Opinions on access virus? I'm keeping my eye out for a good price on an access virus b, I'm thinking it would pair well with the digitakt I'm planning on getting.
>>
>>74536356
i think ill just reinstall windows then
it seems the cmd windows appear only when i type stuff lol
>>
whats some good alternative for DSI rev2?
>>
>>74540910

Hey, I really like that! That's the way techno is though, it's really repetitive. Although if I made that, I wouldnt know what to do next lol. New pattern? Or introduce some other element or sequence?
>>
>>74541308
I usually just make one very dense 4 bar loop then add or remove different things during certain sections of the track. I have no clue how tracks are supposed to be structured to be mixable though.
>>
>>74540964
Wish I could afford- sounds dope and has made many classics

>>74540831
>attach a pedal to?
>too expensive
???

>>74540413
Dumb post
>>
>>74516959
Link?
>>
>>74541608
https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0BzEYyqGYdV3id0pzSWdXZmF5cGs&export=download
>>
>>74541399
I usually start with drums add some repetitive bits with some variation and then a part with alot of variation, but not necessarily the main part.
There's a great Aphex Twin analysis that gave me a lot of inspiration on track making. I'll link it later as about to go to bed.
>>
work in progress, should i even continue?
https://clyp.it/3i1ho1lu
>>
>>74539096
Anyone?
>>
File: pepe_me.jpg (10KB, 234x250px) Image search: [Google]
pepe_me.jpg
10KB, 234x250px
Made this before I got some Taco Bell today
https://clyp.it/tzrpt1ce

I'm not really feeling any of the links posted, desu. Keep at it tho :3
>>
what do you guys think of novation peak
>>
Are Roland's JU-06 and JP-08 literal jokes?
>>
>>74543573
No they are moneymaking machines
>>
>>74542555
It's bad but I'm not bored to tears unlike with everything else here
So yes
>>
>>74544573
>this is your average /prod/ feedback giver
>>
>he falls into the virtual analog meme
>>
https://instaud.io/1aRl

I made an intro, how is it friends?
>>
>>74544709
>https://instaud.io/1aRl

The two basslines have way too similar of a sound and are playing at too similar a pitch, they are getting in each others way.

Put one of the lines on something that has it's own space in the mix
>>
File: formu.png (292KB, 284x447px) Image search: [Google]
formu.png
292KB, 284x447px
https://clyp.it/1yw01fvr
Thoughts?
Where should I go with this elec rock track?
>>
>>74534170
Anyone know good resources for online/digital cratedigging?
I live in africa so I can't just go out and buy actual records :(
>>
>>74542724
>>74539096
Need more info because nobody knows what you're talking about

Sound cards are necessary for monitors so yeah, kind of necessary
>>
>>74545663
I think the harmony at 1:00 is too "obvious" if you get me

Slightly cheesy. Obvious place to take it is to have vocals. I used to make this kind of music exclusively but more "industrial" :p
>>
Stayed up too late because I rediscovered Tal-Reverb 2, wrote a little thing I kinda like. Gotta flesh it out more, give it more body instead of being an ultrawide noisescape.

https://clyp.it/wtguqddg

Tal-Reverb 2 is so good y'all.
>>
>>74541399
Here's that analysis
http://bytenoise.co.uk/Aphex_Twin
Thread posts: 306
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.