[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is your system for rating an album, /mu/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 9

File: hmmm.png (37KB, 396x400px) Image search: [Google]
hmmm.png
37KB, 396x400px
What is your system for rating an album, /mu/?
>>
5 = top 10
4 = like
3 = ok
2 = dislike
1= lmao
>>
if i don't like it 1/2, if i do like it 2/2
>>
File: ratesystem.png (9KB, 159x455px) Image search: [Google]
ratesystem.png
9KB, 159x455px
>>
3 find higher quality version on slsk
2 don't
1 delete
>>
>>74493714

what is slsk?
>>
>>74493958
newlad lurk more
>>
10 - An album that's mind-blowingly great, but can have a minor flaw (9.8 is still 10). Must have really stuck out to me and resonated. Doesn't have to be too innovative, just different enough for me to love it.
9 - Great album, but has flaws that you can't ignore.
8 - An album I can listen to all the way through and mostly enjoy it. Can have a few bad tracks, as long as there are good songs to back them up.
7 - Usually decent albums with more potential. Could be a great album with some changes. Tends to have some bad songs.
6 - Slightly positive about it, but has too many problems.
5 - Forgettable/Disappointing
4 - Not Good
3 - Very Bad
2 - Trash
1 - Huge steaming pile of shit
>>
randomly rate it 6-10 if I like it
randomly rate it 0-5 if I don't
>>
>>74493958
Sorta Listenin', Sorta Kekkin
>>
File: dgR44b.jpg (12KB, 85x408px) Image search: [Google]
dgR44b.jpg
12KB, 85x408px
If an album is outright bad when it's just a 1, I don't bother trying to discern how bad.

I consider poor to be different from bad.
>>
>>74493544
An album can fall into 1 of 5 possible categories. An album can migrate through the first four categories, but never has an album fallen from 1 to 4, in my experience. Inversely, a few albums have gone from 4 to 1.

>1. I love it, I've loved it for years
>2. I like it, I am going to continue listening to it
>3. I need to listen to it again
>4. I did not care for it

And finally
>5. I have not listened to the album
>>
>>74493958
SoulSeek
>>
>>74493544
I don't have an account on rym and I don't really rate records even in my mind. There are just shitty records with no good tracks on it, meh records with 1-5 good tracks, and my favorite records which are the ones that I can listen on repeat without skipping any track.
>>
5 = Masterpiece
4 = Excellent
3 = Good
2 = Dislike
1 = Terrible
>>
Anything 7 and above are something I will listen too again. 10 has only god tier songs and fits together good. 1 would be only horrible songs that are incoherent. Anything above 5 I like and below 5 I dislike
>>
It goes from 1 to Nirvana album and there isn't any in between
>>
>>74494058
>Inversely, a few albums have gone from 4 to 1.
curious to know which ones
>>
>>74493544
lasts a week, a month, two years or forever
>>
File: formula.png (19KB, 733x227px) Image search: [Google]
formula.png
19KB, 733x227px
>>74493544
I use this formula
>>
I like it a lot
It ok
No
>>
>>74494640

You know, you could have just said you rated on a 1 to 5 scale.
>>
>>74495477
There's only two intervals on my scale, buddy.
>>
simple as this guy's: https://rateyourmusic.com/~CouldBeWhat
>>
None im not autistic
>>
10/10=an album I find some combination of the following: extraordinarily emotionally powerful, exciting, challenging, strange, unique, original, boundary-pushing.
9-9.5/10=a masterpiece, plain and simple.
8-8.5=a great album worthy of returning to many times.
7-7.5=very good.
6-6.5=good but not really outstanding in any particular way.
5-5.5=decent/average, probably not worth returning to.
4-4.5=bad, but not so bad that it’s unbearable.
3-3.5=just plain bad.
2-2.5=offensively bad.
1-1.5=terrible.
0-0.5=one of the worst albums I’ve ever heard.
>>
File: IMG_3446.jpg (48KB, 399x938px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3446.jpg
48KB, 399x938px
a couple of these could use replacing

when I'm not using rym I just mentally do ratings of each track of an album out of 10 with no decimals
>>
I rate every track on the album from 1-10, then use a weighted average system based on each track's individual length to determine the overall score.
>>
>>74493544
I do it by school grading system, like 5=A, 4.5=A-/B+. 1 is E, and then it jumps to 0.5=F
>>
>5/5
must listen, life changing
>4/5
pretty good, definitely buy
>3/5
okay, buy if you're a fan, worth a listen but not much to come back to
>2/5
listen to it if you really want to but there isn't much there, not good at all
>1/5
terrible, annoying, belongs in the trash, would rather listen to silence
>0/5
rage inducing, would rather listen to the sounds of chickens being slaughtered
>>
10=best album ever; 9=rock masterpiece; 8=buy it now; 7=buy it eventually; 6=buy it if you are a fan
>>
Same as everyone else who isnt dumb

1 = Total and complete garbage. Either painful to listen to or hilarious for how bad it is. E.g. Goldfinger - Open Your Eyes, Beach Boys - Salute NASCAR,
2 = Albums that piss me off, usually because of how hard they shoot down my expectations. E.g. The Streets - Original Pirate Material, Clipping - CLPPNG
3 = Albums that are bad and that I don't want to hear again. E.g. Cream - Disraeli Gears, that flaming lips Beatles album
4 = Bad, boring and slightly repulsive. Maybe I'll try them again to see if they're better. E.g. ITCOTCK, Silver Apples s/t,
5. Nothing. Don't remember anything, don't take away anything. Lots of albums i wish i liked. E.g.
>>
10 = God tier
9 = amazing
8 = great
7 = good
6 = decent
5 = average
4 = poor
3 = bad
2 = really bad
1 = worst shit ever
>>
i just use words, any ranking system is too imprecise.
>>
>>74495995
can i get an example of a life changing album?
>>
>>74496038
Woops
E.g. Meshuggah - I, Joe Meek - I Hear A New World
6 = Maybe one or two good songs, otherwise forgettable. E.g. Pere Ubu - Datapanik, Foetus - Nail
7 = Good but has some major faults. E.g. Beach Boys - Smile, Dizzee Rascal - Boy in da Corner
8. Great album, but has a few issues or bad songs. E.g. Boards of Canada - MHTRTC, QOTSA - Songs for the Deaf
9. Amazing album, but doesn't have the same amount of highs or consistency as a 10. e.g. Todd Edwards - Prima Edizione, The Zombies - Odessey and Oracle, Van Dyke Parks - Song Cycle
10 Truly outstanding album. Does everything right. E.g. The White Noise - An Electric Storm, Aphrodite's Child - 666
>>
>>74496178
for me the first two that come to mind are helplessness blues and live/dead
>>
>>74493544
I don't use numbers, and I don't bother comparing albums to one another like that, I just try to take each one on its own context. If I like it, or find a bit interesting I'll listen to it again or more similar stuff, if not I dont
>>
>>74495144
Oh my god please don't tell me you actually used LaTeX for that
>>
>>74496038
Do you only listen to things you don't like

Wait is that the joke
>>
>>74496344
Nah i just accidentally hit send look at
>>74496273
>>
>>74496329
I also agree with this but I like my system too. I can see the benefit of not using numerical ratings but it's sorta fun sometimes
>>
>>74496330
\begin{document}
\begin{gather*}
\text{Album rating/10} = \frac{\sum\limits_{n=1}^N q_n l_n}{\sum\limits_{n=1}^N l_n}
\end{gather*}
Where $q_n$ is the (subjective) quality of the $n$\textsuperscript{th} track rated out of 10, $N$ is the number of tracks on the album, and $l_n$ is the length of the track.
\end{document}
>>
>>74496329
I also agree with this but I like my system too. I can see the benefit of not using numerical ratings but it's sorta fun sometimes
>>
If I like it, 1
If I don't, 0
>>
>>74494058
same
>>
Did I like or dislike it and why
>>
File: 1495061707858.png (66KB, 510x510px) Image search: [Google]
1495061707858.png
66KB, 510x510px
>More obscure = higher rating
>If I didn't listen to it, I pretend I did and say it was bad for some ephemeral reason
the two core concepts underlying my view of music desu. how to be an instant cool dude.
>>
File: gwyneth.jpg (54KB, 680x478px) Image search: [Google]
gwyneth.jpg
54KB, 680x478px
>>74493544
>rates albums
look mommy! me playing pitchfork reviewer!!! xD
>>
[number of songs i like]/[total number of songs]*10
>>
>>74496038
>Disraeli Gears
>ITCOTCK
>Silver Apples
why
>>
>>74494662
Most of them were albums that my parents played a lot when I was growing up that I hated. It wasnt until much later in life I heard them again and loved them.

A lot of John Denver and ABBA.
>>
>not bad,but not too good
6/10

>good album,but with a lot of flaws
7/10

>good album that the goodness obscure the flawness

8/10

>excellent work of art
9/10

I usually give a 10/10 to an album only when the album REALLY hits me,in a personal and introspective way.
>>
0.5 to 1.5 = trash
2.0 to 2.5 = trash with some good songs
3.0 = forgetable, ratio between good and bad songs is 1
3.5 = good albums with some trash songs
4.0 = solid albums, no bad tracks
4.5 = great memorable albums
5.0 = godly albums, every moment and note is a masterpiece
>>
>>74497880
Theyre shit
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.