[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hip Hop is NOT becoming the most popular genre

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 8

File: 1501035690610.png (139KB, 394x360px) Image search: [Google]
1501035690610.png
139KB, 394x360px
I've seen some trolls on this board repeat the claims of popular music industry rags and their compatriots suggesting hip hop is increasing in popularity due to things like its place on the charts. You realize how stupid this is, right?

Rock and other music did not decline in popularity, it simply exists outside the scope of the big record labels, as does most music. This is the trend, and has been for several years now.

The music industry has latched onto hip hop because it has less of an underground presence. Yes, underground hip hop obviously exists, but its popularity is not even close to the popularity of underground/indie rock. Hip hop fans are generally stupider people who are less adventurous but also poorer. This makes the genre ideal for music execs to parade about as the "new" pop. This way they don't have to compete with the well established indie rock scene.

Make no mistake though. Hip hop's "popularity" simply represents a slightly larger share of an increasingly smaller pie that the entire music world has already left behind.
>>
1-800-WHO-CARES
>>
>>74492964
Name one culturally relevant rock band from the past 25 years that isn't Nirvana.
>>
>>74492964
This. It's the same reason McDonald's now advertises primarily to the ghetto.
>>
Hip Hop is absolute garbage.
>>
>>74492964
le angrey rock fan
>>
File: 1502167918110.jpg (73KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
1502167918110.jpg
73KB, 1200x630px
>>74492980
No music is culturally relevant anymore because the industry has become decentralized. Your complaint or challenge is one to the entire industry and has nothing to do with rock.
>>
Hip-Hop is fucking shite, but honestly so is this thread. The way to deal with hip-hop is saging and detailing their threads, and if they flood the board again, report them. Don't sperg out like this. Just treat them like shit or report them until they all leave or get banned.
>>
>>74493002
Nice argument. Enjoy purchasing cds in stores. That's statistically what your taste in music suggests....
>>
>>74493006
You can't answer the question, thank you.
>>
>>74492980
flaming shits for better or for worse
>>
>>74493007
This isn't sperging out. It's pointing out some cold hard truths about the music industry as a whole...

>>74492980
There was never another Dylan after Dylan because of changes in the industry. The more labels there are and the more options people have, the less dominant any one figure can be.
>>
>>74493026
You're a brainlet who can't understand anything outside of billboard charts. Which actually proves the point in the OP that hip hop has been chosen by the music industry specifically for its braindead fans.
>>
>>74493026
He's right, though
>>
File: n key.jpg (118KB, 1300x803px) Image search: [Google]
n key.jpg
118KB, 1300x803px
>>74493026
>the absolute state of hip hop fans
>>
File: flaming homosexual.png (10KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
flaming homosexual.png
10KB, 420x420px
>>74492964

you can't stop it
>>
all these frustrated kids that can't name any relevant rock bands, thankfully school will be back in session soon
>>
>>74492964
Oh I get it, it's like saying something is the biggest industry in the country when in actuality it's some shady undcoumented grey industry that's prevalent
>>
File: 1500943810440.gif (2MB, 460x259px) Image search: [Google]
1500943810440.gif
2MB, 460x259px
>>74493108
You can't stop something that isn't happening.
>>
>>74492980

>still no valid answer to this

RIP rock
>>
>>74493190
There aren't any relevant rappers either. But it's ok. This thread isn't about cultural relevance in the first place. You either have poor reading comprehension or are shifting the goal posts.
>>
>>74493219
It's

Not

The

Point

Of

This

Thread

Retard

You are shifting the goal posts to avoid addressing the reality of the OP.
>>
>>74493219
"Rock was reportedly still the most widely consumed genre in the United States during 2014 and 2015."
http://www.musicbusinessworldwide.com/rock-music-twice-popular-pop-america-rb-rules-streaming
>>
>>74492980
Radiohead. That's easy. What's not easy is stopping you from changing the topic.
>>
because black people are trendy now. the amount of wiggers is shocking.
>>
>>74493262

>streaming

lmao
>>
This would imply that Rock is still introducing legit brand new ideas. That it's taking the art form to a crazy level like what bebop first did for jazz. It's not happening though.
>>
>>74493268
how this answer took that long to show up is what baffles me
>>
hip hop already is fag look at the apple music top charts there is maybe one or two non-rap albums in the top 20, and it's usually only temporarily because some white guy killed himself and bumped it up for a couple hours
>>
Name a single popular rock album from the last ten years that was actually innovative.

>inb4 Radiopleb
>>
>>74493268
>actually thinks Radiohead is viable for this
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Radiohead were never a large scale cultural force. Sure they made music that was critics bait (and in a way entry level "I LLOOOVVEEE MUSIC!" bait as well.) But they were never that insanely popular. It's why Creep is still their most popular track.
>>
>>74493268
>>74493802
>inb4
>>
>>74492980
Linkin Park
>>
>>74493802
Swans - The Seer

built on concepts that can be heard in their previous album before The Seer and the works of Sonic Youth/Glenn Branca by creating drone based overtones using a variety of sounds not typical used to make those while also being far more heavy/punchy in sound than any other band of this particular style.
>>
>>74493823
You either act like an idiot or you are just ignorant. I agree that Radiohead was never insanely popular, but
>Radiohead were never a large scale cultural force
Come on. Think about Velvet Underground and it's influence and fame. The same principle.
>>
>>74493854

>built on concepts that can be heard in their previous album before The Seer and the works of Sonic Youth/Glenn Branca

I think you mean "blatantly ripping off the works of Sonic Youth/Glenn Branca and adding le edgy shouting vocals"
>>
>>74493204
It is happening though, you're just another hipster nu-male in denial. I can hear your Starbucks drink persperating from halfway across the globe.
>>
Whites literally make the worst music on the planet now.

I listen to music in this order:
Black
Asians
Latinos
Eskimos
Native Americans
Whites

White music is so shit now lol. Any good white music is just them stealing from one (or more) of the other races.
>>
>>74493802
Oh, fuck. Imagine comparing musical directions without reckoning with their age. Where is your reasoning?
>>
>>74492980
A musical work doesn't have to be "culturally relevant" to be good, if that's what you're implying. Do you only like things if they're mass media sensations?
>>
>>74493933
I literally wrote in how it differs (attaining overtones using guitar styles that don't normally achieve them while using other various instruments that aren't conventionally used to achieve them either). If you are too blind to read or too deaf to even hear the obvious differences, don't waste both yours and my time.
>>
>>74493931
The Velvet Underground wasn't a large scale cultural force either. They played zero part in keeping rock relevant culturally outside their own little subculture outside maybe the influence they might have indirectly had on some of the bigger bands (though I don't think they ever really had that big an influence on the bigger bands; for Nirvana for example despite having an alt rock background was more Stooges influenced than TVU.)

All you people spend too much time on the internet in your own echochamber to see how certain things affect the rest of the world.
>>
>>74493955
Bad bait
>>
>>74493344

>I dismiss the best way to listen to music because I feel smug wasting money purchasing music individually

lmao
>>
>>74494125
>I dismiss the only way to listen to music for a lot of great artists because I have a better internet connection than most of the world

lmao
>>
>>74493007
Nigga what the fuck is wrong with you? Why do you hate hip hop so much to the point of trying to force it off a music board? I fucking hate most metal. That doesn't mean we should try to force them off the board. Get off your musical high horse fuck nigga.
>>
>>74494057
>The Velvet Underground wasn't a large scale cultural force either
>if it's not gamechanging then i will not reckon with it

>All you people spend too much time on the internet in your own echochamber to see how certain things affect the rest of the world.

What the fuck is this supposed to mean? Are you really so prejudiced against /mu/? I bet I spend less time on the Internet than you. Fuck, I hate this place. No reasoning, no common sense. Only gradual degradation and virtually no urge to talk about musical issues with everything terminating on fuck you. I will do the same. Fuck you. Hate this place.
>>
Not a single person rebutted or even assessed the first post. Fucking hip hop fans are cancer.
>>
>>74495079
You buttblasted retard, OP was a mess of an argument without a single supported point. He's literally just frothing at the mouth
>le hippie hop is stupid and not popular because I said so
>le underground rap doesnt exit, but there is lots of rock!
Come back with some support for OP'd strong claims and I might give a fuck lol
>>
>>74494404
The first post in this comment chain was asking about a culturally relevant rock band. The second post said Radiohead. I pointed out that Radiohead isn't a viable example due to lack of exposure to larger culture to be considered that culturally relevant force.
>>
>>74495223
Which has dick to do with the subject of this thread, shitposter
>>
>>74495241
It has a lot to do with the post chain its part of, so maybe don't just read the OP and try to participate in a topic.
>>
>>74495253
You changed the topic because you couldnt make a fucking argument. You just changed the subject. Its very obvious. Are you admitting the first post was in fact accurate?
>>
>>74495278
I didn't change the subject. I only replied to something in the topic. What the fuck are you going on about? Are you OP?
>>
>>74495278
To be fair, I read 2nd post as a challenge to the OP. OP was saying "hip-hop isn't popular, etc.", so 2nd post said, "Oh, yeah? Well what about rock?" So it changed the subject, but it wasn't a super unrelated/stupid thing to say.
>>
The thing is, and this is coming from someone who'd broadly say rock is his favourite genre of music, hip-hop is the number one genre today by far. Hop on RYM and you'll see a lot of the top albums from the 2010s are hip-hop, and that site's on rock's side. Look at all the bands and albums being hyped, I started really getting into music around 2012 and since then I've seen artists like Death Grips, Kendrick, Danny Brown, Migos, Run the Jewels etc. attracting the most interest. I come from the UK but I still see people in their early 20s who love the 90s indie rock stuff listening to a lot of hip-hop. I'd also argue it's the genre that's taking the most risks and being the most exciting. When I came into it all I had a pretty big dislike for hip-hop but I've been won over and now keep a close eye on the scene. Rock isn't dead at all and there are still plenty of good rock artists out there. But rappers have replaced rock stars, kids rap instead of picking up a guitar, people look up to Drake and Quavo more than the Arctic Monkeys or QotSA, it's having a profound effect on pop music and pop culture look at all the songs that have a lazily crammed in guest verse from some pop rapper. Shit hip-hop is everywhere, it's easily the biggest genre and if you can't accept that then you're just blind. Rap's the new rock.
>>
>>74495425
But being popular and culturally relevant aren't the same thing. And neither means much when the music industry has gone to shit.

Do you realize a platinum album requires 500k sold instead of 1 mil? That is the context in which rap is thriving as a genre. So to say but muh rock is bullshit. Rock is on the avante garde of music distribution outside of big labels. It doesn't mean fewer people are listening to it, just that big jew corporations arent tracking and profiteering off of it.
>>
>>74492980
>RHCP
>blink
>Green Day

Normies far and wide will know all their big hits, especially the chili peppers
>>
>>74495480
Youre blinded by a corporate narrative of a dying industry. See the post after yours.
>>
>>74492964
>I've seen some trolls on this board repeat the claims of popular music industry rags and their compatriots suggesting hip hop is increasing in popularity due to things like its place on the charts. You realize how stupid this is, right?
No, it's based on consumption reports. So again, the more a certain type of music is actually consumed, the more popular it is. Like idk how that doesn't make sense to you. It's not just that people said it's more popular, it IS more popular.
>Rock and other music did not decline in popularity, it simply exists outside the scope of the big record labels, as does most music. This is the trend, and has been for several years now.
That doesn't mean that the music still has popularity. It's not about record labels, but actual consumption (sales, streams, etc.)
>The music industry has latched onto hip hop because it has less of an underground presence. Yes, underground hip hop obviously exists, but its popularity is not even close to the popularity of underground/indie rock.
This isn't really true and honestly kinda hard to gauge as well since hip hop is such a popular genre that even acts that started underground are getting a lot of love by a large audience or are signed by major labels.
>Hip hop fans are generally stupider people who are less adventurous but also poorer. This makes the genre ideal for music execs to parade about as the "new" pop. This way they don't have to compete with the well established indie rock scene.
Jesus Christ you're a retard with zero business sense. Hip hop is good for music execs to parade around because it gets consumed enough to make them the most money possible. That's how the realm of economics works.

Continued in next post
>>
>>74495542
I fail to see your point though. I'm not saying rap is the best or rock is completely dead or whatever. I'm saying, go out into the street and ask a bunch of young adults what their favourite artists/songs are at the moment and most of them will say some sort of hip-hop. They'll probably be dressed in a way that's influenced by the likes of Drake, using slang borrowed from Migos. Pop culture has fallen straight into the arms of hip-hop over the last few years and it's taken that spotlight that rock used to occupy. It's no comment on which genre is better or if rock needs to die off completely and it' done or whatever. But in the sense of popularity, yeah hip-hop has won.
>>
>>74492964
>>74495603
>Make no mistake though. Hip hop's "popularity" simply represents a slightly larger share of an increasingly smaller pie that the entire music world has already left behind.
The whole "music industry is dying" narrative has already proven to be a false narrative. Every big change makes the older guys up top yell this shit, this isn't the first time. Surprise, surprise! Just like the last few decades, they figured out the system!

http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/7882277/sony-music-revenue-income-up-double-digits-first-quarter-2017

It's not dying off or being left behind, it's more powerful than ever. Especially now that even "independent labels" are often subsidiaries of the major labels.
>>
>>74495619
Have you been on a college campus in the past 10 years?
>>
>>74495656
>he used billboard as a source to prove the industry is not dying
Ok that was a whole lot of triggered nonsense and feels and not enough facts. Please kys.
>>
>>74495659
Well let's face it, young adults are the lifeblood of pop culture and they're the ones that've embraced it the most. I'm a white working class man from the north of England and I see that hip-hop has more relevance than rock.
>>
>>74493268
>plebiohead
lmao
>>
>>74495686
>gets so btfo that he can't bring a real counterargument other than le triggered maymay
What a joke.
>>
>>74495747
You did not post a single fact in your little screed. It was all opinion. And then you ended it with a fucking billboard press release. I think youre overestimating your quote argument....
>>
>>74495775
Popularity is based on facts coming from Nielsen reports. Independents make far less revenue than major labels, that's fact. Economically you pick goods to sell that make you the most money, thats looking at objective gains. You can deny Billboard all you want, but their business section doesn't do shady shit and you can't prove otherwise. If BB triggers you so much, go read Sony's actual report then which has the exact same info.

At least I am citing real sources. You pulled everything out of your ass and are on troll mode.
>>
>>74494252
Fans like you are why we try to force it off the board.
>>
>>74492980
tame impala
fallout boy
linkin park
radiohead

all shit but they're extremely well known
>>
>>74492980
Radiohead and Tame Impala you silly billy
>>
>>74492964
You're just jealous and in denial
>>
>>74492980
Smashing pumpkins

>those extended chords
>>
>>74492980
Arctic Monkeys
>>
>>74493823
Creep is played on the radio everyday and covered by bands 1000s of times a day you idiot
>>
So is there any actual evidence that hip hop is more popular than rock when you factor in the underground scene, streaming, indie labels, etc?

Because we all know that rap shit is just top40 garbage so it stands to gain from not having that stuff factored in.
>>
>>74493268
This is a good pick (but to be fair their first EP came out just over 25 years ago in May of 92'.) Other possible choices (rock groups that formed in the past 25 years and sold 50M+):
Linkin Park (64 million records sold, first album was in 2000)
Coldplay (72 million records sold, first album was in 1999)
>>
>>74497238
Forgot Coldplay. Also Weezer.

U2?
>>
>>74492964
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMRkxidQO-M

Snoop got it right though
>>
File: G.jpg (38KB, 380x380px) Image search: [Google]
G.jpg
38KB, 380x380px
>>74492980
Heroes del Silencio :v
>>
>>74496542
Boi what the fuck did I do? All I did was defend the right for hip hop threads to exist on the board when you want to force them off.
>>
File: wtf.gif (1MB, 268x274px) Image search: [Google]
wtf.gif
1MB, 268x274px
>>74496542
>>
>>74492980
>Caring about cultural relevancy
I wish people here would be more contrarian and focused on obscurity.
>>
>>74492980
Ozric Tentacles
>>
>>74497728
Whimless consumptions is the sole reason of all out problems. Yours is very bold and childish statement, but I somewhat agree.
>>
>>74498619
Our*
>>
File: disgust.jpg (46KB, 620x400px) Image search: [Google]
disgust.jpg
46KB, 620x400px
>>74494125
>the best way to listen to music
>re-downloading a song every time you listen to it
how retarded are you?
>>
>>74492980
Coldplay
Thread posts: 89
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.