[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is being able to seriously talk about /mu/core again the key

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 3

File: 516DZMQ1MGL.jpg (35KB, 293x300px) Image search: [Google]
516DZMQ1MGL.jpg
35KB, 293x300px
Is being able to seriously talk about /mu/core again the key to making this board a better place?
>>
>>74488693
/mu/ is not nearly as bad as it will be in a couple years. the current /mu/ will probably be known as the good old days of /mu/ to the new generation of underagefags
>>
>>74488693
No, it's past it.
>>
>>74489028
elaborate?
>>
>>74489019
jesus thats depressing if it does end up that way, but do you think theres any hope in trying to improve mu and preventing that?
>>
Depends on the album. It's actually a shame ItAOtS is /mu/'s ultimate meme album, because it's actually a really interesting, fun album. Those Radiohead albums are great, though overrated. AnCo's MPP is a garbage album IMO, and significantly inferior to some of their other releases. GY!BE probably deserves more discussion. The Antlers were never a great band, but Hospice is a nice album - it was hurt by how much it was overly praised.
>>
>>74488693
I spoke of this a little while ago here but Aeroplane is unironically a masterpiece. Go a little while without hearing it then give another try if you're not sure about it.
>>
>>74488693
/mu/core works great because it's a solid entry-level list that introduces newfags to shit beyond dadrock, Top 40, and video game """music""". The problem is that now liking /mu/core is seen as bad, which in the neverending hunt for contrarianism that is /mu/ means that everybody's shit taste is validated.
Though if we're being honest the real death of /mu/ is something far simpler. Rock hasn't really had any truly "great" entries into /mu/core tier stuff in, say, 5 years. The indie scene isn't dead by any stretch of the terms but it's been ages since anything truly awe inspiring has been done in it. As a result /mu/ is impossibly stuck in the past, literally incapable of moving on from the rock hits of the 90's and 00's yet also sternly resistent to adopting any other genres (hip-hop mainly) into the board, resulting in a board that gradually looses more oldfags by the day, making it vulnerable to newfaggotry and shitposters.

If I were the "king of /mu/" I'd've pushed for the creation of a hip-hop "/mu/-core" (not an essentials list) that takes 10 or 15 of the best (not most popular) hip hop albums of the past 20 years. That way it's easier to shit on any /r/hiphopheads fags who come here with their "xd muh king kenny bumps in the whip lit nigga" shitposting by pointing to an actual measuring stick of quality. This has the side effect of fighting poptimism with more elitism.
>>
>>74489323
this but with a genre better than hip-hop
>>
>>74489254
This is exactly what Jeff Magnum's vocals sounds like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgha9S39Y6M

It makes you uneasy. You just want to turn it off
>>
>>74489385
Don't you think /mu/ over-analyzes things though? If an album is posted too much here people become jaded and turned off by it even if they may like it or haven't even listened to it.
For me his voice is very apt for the unique sound of the album. It cuts deep with the emotion evoked on certain tracks and instruments blasted in the background.
>>
>>74488693
Yes
>>
No, /mu/core is what killed /mu/. What we need is to encourage users to explore for more and lesser known music, to explore unpopular genres, and to avoid taking about the same one hundred artists all day every day.
>>
>>74489484
Why not both?
>>
File: images (4).jpg (26KB, 384x383px) Image search: [Google]
images (4).jpg
26KB, 384x383px
>>74489323
King of the niggers bruh
>>
>>74489484
will you please fuck off
you are what's killing mu, faggot
>>
>>74489484
>What we need is to encourage users to explore for more and lesser known music, to explore unpopular genres
t. pitchfork/nme lovin hipster
>>
>>74489543
oh yeah ur right lets continue filling up the catalog with the same pictures of the same album covers every single day forever
/mu/ literally has not changed its taste since 2012
i never visited the board at any time during 2014-2016 but used /mu/ back in its "golden years" and since ive been revisiting the board honestly its just the way that I left it
>>
thoughts on grimes?
>>
>>74489604
>(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST
>>
>>74489484
Mate literally 50% chart is frequently posted and talked about on /mu/. you're literally the worst tripfag on this board just fuck off.
>>
>>74489576
You do realize, like you, people leave here? So it's very possible those who have far different more obscure tastes are gone and have been replaced by those just getting into music or haven't been here for that long?
Try starting a thread about music you like and post in threads with such tastes.
And before you call me nu I'm exactly the same as you, I left in like 2014 and just came back this year.
>>
>>74488693

no one wants to talk about this garbage album anymore
>>
>>74489502
What?

>>74489543
Fuck off, your posts contribute nothing.

>>74489550
No, Pitchfork is another reason /mu/ sucks. Also, Pitchfork defined most of /mu/core. It's the opposite of what you are claiming. Newfag.
>>
>>74489701
>What?
Why can't people enjoy /mu/core and obscure unique artists?
>>
>>74489576
It has actually become worse since 2014. There used to be a bit more adventurous music threads and now we have even had ACDC, Nicki Minaj, Foo Fighters, RHCP, 21 Pilots threads, all at once.

>>74489639
First, that's not true. Second, that wouldn't invalidate what I'm saying.
>>
>>74489484
Honestly this
This as well as not criticizing more pleb music on sight
So finding some kind of balance between these
I don't know what to do about this, I'm basically a huge fucking hypocrite
>>74489543
No that's crazyaga doing that
>>
>>74489174
ItAOts is shit, just some inbred retard warbling about how much he wants to fuck a dead underage jew. if you play that shit in public you deserve the bullying you get
>>
>>74489754
They absolutely can. I never said otherwise.

>>74489761
crazyaga hasn't had an influence over the board for a long time to be honest
>>
>>74489701
Serious question, Why do you tripfag?
>>
>>74489782
>They absolutely can. I never said otherwise.
Wouldn't you say it's far easier for a music normie to get into Sufjan Stevens than Exuma? Everyone starts somewhere.
>>
>>74489760
To be fair Kanye isn't any better than RHCP
>>
>>74489816
>Wouldn't you say it's far easier for a music normie to get into Sufjan Stevens than Exuma? Everyone starts somewhere.
the issue with that is everyone would mostly just stay with sufan and nothing more. you can be mr.why not both. but majority of this board sticks with the entry lvl stuff and never goes further.

anyway i only post in last.fm 3x3 threads where i can actually get unique recs and call out ppl with the same fucking albums posted.
this board is trash
>>
>>74489816
The idea is not to let people in who can't get into Exuma (or anything else obscure like that). But sure, the thing is still that the board doesn't move past that entry level stuff.

>>74489822
This isn't about who is a better artist, but the implications of what I'm describing above, and that's that /mu/ is assimilating with the taste of reddit like users and dad rockers each day more and more.

>>74489810
To encourage music discussion.
>>
File: 1476597732094.jpg (71KB, 552x550px) Image search: [Google]
1476597732094.jpg
71KB, 552x550px
>>74488693
Anyone PLEASE have the comic where 2 guys are talking then some fat guy comes from distance saying >itaots >good
thats how i remember it

PLEASE
>>
>>74489543
go back to your 4362th anco thread
>>
>>74489878
I'd say a good amount want to discover music that is good who come here. Maybe those who just find out about /mu/core shit outside if here only listens to that but most here just listen to whatever.
>>74489885
>The idea is not to let people in who can't get into Exuma (or anything else obscure like that).
Epic.
>>
>>74489174
mpp is an album you like at a certain stage of your life. If you don't like it, then you aren't mature enough for it. Listen to it in a couple years, mate.
>>
>>74489816
Sure there can be threads for normies, but there are hardly any threads promoting more difficult music for spergs who are already into edgier stuff.
>>
/mu/core arguably killed music discussions here because newfags and retards never deviate from the charts and they post memes because they know everybody will recognise them.
>>
I don't see how people would prefer seeing itaots and loveless memed on the home page every hour of every day. It's beating a dead horse. There should be one big mucore thread replacing Grimes general for people looking for the default moo music and the rest an intellectual discussion of different albums where everyone can opinionate themselves as usual. It's a shame that the current state of the board is mostly under the age of 18.
>>
>>74489885
>dad rockers

you mean music that's stood the test of time? I'm more worried about xxxtentation dickriders and this intolerable wave of indiefags
>>
>>74490114
First month on /mu/?
>>
>>74490147

been here since 2007, quite aware indiefags have always been here but it's become far worse lately.
>>
>>74489885
Why does trip fagging encourage music discussion? It seems like it goes the other way around.
>>
>>74489543
t. Underage
>>
>>74489777
> Jew
>>/pol/

>>74489977
I'm 28, I'm a grad student, I've been into music my entire life because my father is a classically trained musician.
>>
>>74490479
At least you've made it obvious that I'm right.

>I'm mature!!! I'm a 28 year old student, and also my daddy is a musician.
>>
>>74489019
Yeah, this is always how it happens. I've only been here since like 2012 but even then it was still two camps of "/mu/ is worse than it's ever been" and "/mu/ was always shit, just a different kind of shit", same as it is now. That being said, I do feel like the majority of the board either liked ITAOTS or at least liked to funpost about it back then, seems like there's a lot more anger and vitriol now.
>>74489484
You're trying to make /mu/ into more than it can be. There's too much traffic here to accommodate that; if the entire board was listening to obscure and unpopular music, then most people would have no idea what other people are talking about and threads would keep getting bumped off having had even less discussion than they get in between the shitposts as it is. There are plenty of other places on the internet you can go to discuss significantly obscure music, places where content isn't effectively deleted so quickly, and you're free to post there instead of here.
Even beyond that though, if this board somehow were to develop to maintain consistent discussion of obscure music, you know just as well as I do that it would all too quickly devolve into people digging into obscure music for the sake of obscurity instead of music and trying to outdo each other in obscurity pissing contests.
>>
>>74488693
This would be a dope album if it wasn't about a jewish fairy tale character.
>>
>>74489777
Waste of a get
>>
>>74489484
You can't have a tree with just branches. You need a tree trunk or it falls apart.
>>
>>74492282
Maybe, but I have some ideas. Now, we both know it's impossible for the whole board to listen to obscure music, but we can at least encourage that sentiment in some users. At the same time, we can also encourage users to explore less popular genres.
>r music, then most people would have no idea what other people are talking about and threads would keep getting bumped off having had even less discussion than they get in between the shitposts as it is. There are plenty of other places on the internet you can go to discuss significantly obscure music, places where content isn't effectively deleted so quickly, and you're free to post there instead of here.
I have tried like 30 different forums already, and the best has been /mu/ by far. Would you mind telling me which ones are you thinking about?
>Even beyond that though, if this board somehow were to develop to maintain consistent discussion of obscure music, you know just as well as I do that it would all too quickly devolve into people digging into obscure music for the sake of obscurity instead of music and trying to outdo each other in obscurity pissing contests.
I wouldn't complain about that because I know it's something that would never happen thanks to the constant influx of new users who are not interested in obscurity. This is one of the reasons /mu/ has been getting so shit lately actually, because 4chan as a whole is experiencing it's highest popularity peak ever (just take a look at Alexa's rank if you don't believe me, we are ranked in the top 200 now, we used to be less than 1000).

>>74494893
Correct, that's why I'm trying to make a better tree trunk, because the current one sucks.
>>
>>74489977
Why though? To me, it's like Dark Side of the Moon. I can only praise the production, but the songs themselves are not particularly interesting.
>greentext names certain song that's good from the album
Yeah yeah I get it don't retaliate with this. There are a few good songs but the thing as a whole never constitutes a re-listen from me
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.