[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Femininity in hard rock/metal music

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: MOTLEY-CRUE-2.jpg (226KB, 1500x1800px) Image search: [Google]
MOTLEY-CRUE-2.jpg
226KB, 1500x1800px
What do you make of the success of feminine aesthetics in modern music that's otherwise masculine, especially in the 80's. Motley Crue comes to mind because they were simultaneously explicitly masculine and feminine. Masculine in that they sang about how much ass they kicked, put on spectacular and showoffy drum solos, and claimed to have fucked hundreds of women. At the same time, they were wearing makeup and dressing in pseudo-drag, which seems usually to not be the type of thing women want to associate with, yet they did have groupies and what not and that strategy continued to be successful even up until now on a smaller level with bands like Avenged Sevenfold. This is a big change from women fawning over Elvis Presley, as my grandma did, or the Beatles, which was the first "boy band" phenomenon I'm aware of. This was also popular with visual kei in Japan, and reading about that has given me the insight that pubescent or otherwise less sexually experienced girls often see feminized men as less threatening and unfamiliar, which I believe is how I read someone explaining visual kei's success. If this is true though, it might be adversely affecting female sexuality to favor the less manly, which is ultimately degenerate.
(There's also the hair)
(cont.)
>>
Image wasn't the only thing that was feminized, and this partly comes from black music as well, so you could say it was "niggerized" if you want as well, but increasingly high pitched and emotive, whining types of vocals gained prominence. High pitched voices are feminine the an obvious way, although there is a masculine element to the challenge and the spectacle of pushing the boundaries of one's voice that shouldn't be ignored. Heavily shaky, emotive vocals seemed to have come from blues, negroes having no shortage of things to whine about, but going back to Elvis and other white male performers, there was much more of a stoicism even when they were displaying emotion [1].
There was definitely a freakish and transgressive element to all this, probably best portrayed by Twisted Sister, who are probably the most explicit merging of masculine energy with feminine appearance. They seemed to be trying to look as ugly as possible while doing it as well though, so it was funny, but with many bands it seemed humorless. I know that hermaphroditic deities used to be worshipped long ago, so maybe there's something humans see as divine in that merging of the male and female that was tapped into.

I understand that most creative people in music are men, so that poses a question. What is the appropriate amount of femininity to portray as a male creative musicain, given that women aren't going to make the music they want? Outside of the context of female characters, should musicians present a virtuous and manly face, and is confusing the genders in such a way going to be negative? What makes this phenomenon possible on a psychological level?

1.(Even in the comments here, there's someone saying "this was back when male singers sounded like men") https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ-r0bilzhU
>>
>that big fucking wall of text
I agree, tho.
>>
So we are allowed to talk about glam here?
>>
yea sorta, I guess.
>>
>>74460318
It's the only metal that's allowed on /mu/. Mods won't allow anything too masculine.
>>
>>74459924
>>74461190
they are so masculine they have ascended and have no need to compensate. They can wear make-up and whatever, you still know they get more pussy than you ever will. If I look at 90's varg i just wonder, has this man ever seen a vagina. Does his corpse paint really make him look manly, does burning a remote church in the middle of the night really represent masculinity, are role playing games manly? No, was my conclusion. Its more of a thing about creating an image about not giving a fuck, whilst extreme metal tried the same and failed horribly. I think 90% of my total time listening to music this year was spent listening to glam. In my opinion the period produced many good records that took skill to play, unlike 90% of /mu/core
>>
>>74461190
>It's the only metal that's allowed on /mu/. Mods won't allow anything too masculine.
Wait really? Are they banning Metal generals that have too gritty, dark themes?
>>
>>74461952
Yes.

Why else do you think posting V****R gets you banned?
>>
>>74461998
Wow, that's fucking gay. This is fucking /mu/, not reddit. Did they state any reason?
>>
>>74462074
>reason
have you ever been to /metal/ newfag?
>>
>>74462117
Once or twice, don't bother with generals. Care to explain?
>>
File: 1485473338445.jpg (110KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1485473338445.jpg
110KB, 600x600px
>>74462129
once every few days the thread used to be spammed with every variation of the terminal redux cover, every reccomendation was terminal redux. Whilst that was hapenning the idiot that posted an actual album or something got called a nu-male, which in turn got called a nu-male, in the whole thread is quoting each other calling eachother nu-males and posting terminal redux
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.