[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Trout Mask Replica is one of my favorite albums of all time,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2

File: 51sBFJYnq6L._SX355_.jpg (27KB, 355x352px) Image search: [Google]
51sBFJYnq6L._SX355_.jpg
27KB, 355x352px
Trout Mask Replica is one of my favorite albums of all time, how do you guys feel about it?
>>
File: IMG_1633.png (23KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1633.png
23KB, 600x600px
>>74456642
>>
I feel pretty FAST and BULBOUS.
>>
>>74456642
Haven't listened to the whole thing since it's kind of long, but what I heard was solid.
>>
I dig it but I can't listen to the whole thing in one sitting.
>>
>>74456642
It's good, could use a bit of polish and the mixing is shit, but it's an incredibly interesting and fun album
>>
>>74456642
Truly garbage.

Hurr durr listen to how dumb and unconventional everything sounds! Isn't it so meaningful?

No. Fuck off. Music is meant to sound good.
>>
>>74456642
Personally thought it was shit
>>
>>74456910
TMR is supposed to be the opposite of meaningful though.
>>
It's got quite a few rockin' jams on it
>>
I listened to it for the first time last week. I don't get it. It was fun and bizarre for the first few minutes, but it got boring and obnoxious quickly. Please redpill me.
>>
It's a bunch of really cool ideas that don't work too well in album format imo, or at least as the album that it is. Some of my favorite artwork, though.
>>
>>74457091
It's basically anti-music that people pretend to like because it makes them seem 'patrician' or whatever
>>
>>74456642
Hey! Mine too!
>>
>>74457227
It's legitimately sad that some people lie about their tastes to strangers on an anonymous website to feel better about themselves.
>>
>>74457091
It's the music equivalent of David Lynch's wet dreams
>>
>>74457227
Some people like anti-music from a conceptual sense, it's fine if it's not your thing but not everything is to earn some kind of e-cred.
>>
>>74457227
Nah man most of the songs are genuinely enjoyable, sometimes you get bored of more traditional music and just wanna listen to some crazy rhythms and atonal harmonies
>>
I love it. It's the embodiment of fun. It's detailed, dense, grounded in its roots (somewhat loosely at times, but still quite noticeably), and gloriously rhythmic.
>>
>>74456910
It sounds good. Nothing is really unconventional. It's all just blues riffs. The songs are catchy and they all have a lot of substance, so it's rewarding to listen to many times, because you'll always hear something new.
>>
>>74457896
>enjoying music
AHAHAAHAH
>>
>>74457227
>Pretend to like
Only if you are a pleb. It's really good. Nothing like kicking back and singing along to Hobo Chang Ba.
>>
Captain Beefheart's Safe as Milk is waaay better, it has just the right amount of unconventionality to it without being a pretentious clusterfuck, the songs are really good and have a noticeably unorthodox way about them, unlike Trout Mask Replica which pushed the limit too hard and sounds like junk for too much of the record. I think it's only popular because it defied convention, kind of like why bad, simplistic, and radical (at the time) art from the 20's to the 80's became so well-known, simultaneously loved/hated, and expensive.

If you want to listen to acquired-taste discordance I'd go with later Black Flag, as your ears can actually digest the uncomfortable musical choices.

Safe as Milk's ratio of unorthodox to sweet-spots is like 3:6, where Trout Mask is like 7:2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8eRDkiwGMM
>>
>>74456910
Tmr is amazing on acid
>>
>>74457896
I dislike when people act like TMR is the most accessible thing in the world.

The composition method is utterly unconventional even if many of the parts aren't. The cut-and-paste method is extremely unconventional.unconventional.
>>
i like it

funniest album ever too
>>
>>74456642
Good, now how do you feel about Lick My Decals Off, Baby?
>>
>>74456746
>>74456771

Lemme guess couldn't handle Soundtracks for the Blind either?
>>
>>74456642
I can kinda see why people would like this.
But it's not my thing
>>
Its got a certain jam to it
>>
>>74456642

I really enjoy it. It has its flaws (I would have preferred the vocals a lot lower in the mix, for example), but still a great experience. I do prefer Safe as Milk, though.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FhhB9teHqU
>>
>>74460896
Yeah I wish some more songs were left as instrumentals like Steal Softly Through Snow
>>
>>74459558
maybe you're just a fucking pleb?
...wait
>thinks TMR is extremely inaccessible
yeah, you're a pleb.
>>
>>74456910
Being this much of a pleb. Let the music challenge you.
>>
>>74459558
Yeah, maybe, but it's still kind of a cool experience. Most songs on that album have between 3 and 10 sections to them, and the changes between each section are mostly far from haphazard. Just listen to pachuco cadaver or veterans day poppy. Each part flows seemlessly into the next. Yeah, the cut and paste method makes it kind of wonkey, but that's just kind of the way Don intended it. It works out well a lot, because each instrument gets the spotlight on several points on the album, whether it be the bass part on ella guru or the drum solo in sugar n spikes. Once again, the album gets overhyped as being way too inaccessible, but the fact that's just blues scales and riffs makes all of the songs listenable for the most part. Only a few songs seem like they might be potentially difficult for a new listener to get through: frownland, dachau blues, and hair pie.

This record by no means should be anybody's first beefheart album. Listen to his other work, like safe as milk, strictly personal, and shiny beast, first to get a hang of his style, before moving on to tmr. If you are already a fan of beefheart, or you are at least used his style, this album is much easier to get into.
>>
>>74456642
I don't mind the discordant instrumentals but I can't get behind his voice
>>
literally music for pseudo-intellectuals.
shave your neckbeard after listening to this album.
>>
>>74462736
He's actually an amazing singer. Listen to safe as milk. Also it isn't dichordant. All of the notes are from blues scales.
>>
>>74456910
THAT JUST GOES TO SHOW YOU WHAT A
MOON CAN DO

BITCH
>>
The lyrics on TMR are severly underrated as I never see them discussed on this board.

>from Dachau Blues

The world can't forget that misery
And the young ones now beggin' the old ones please
To stop bein' madmen
'Fore they have to tell their children
'Bout the burnings back in World War Three's
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.