[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

IDM

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5

File: Matmos-2-By-John-Vogel1.jpg (489KB, 981x555px) Image search: [Google]
Matmos-2-By-John-Vogel1.jpg
489KB, 981x555px
>Sure, I love Autechre and the Schematic label, but I also like James Brown and Trouble Funk and Basement Jaxx and Daft Punk- does this make me unintelligent? The snooty attitude towards "real" dance music inherent in the term IDM fits all too easily with the stereotype of the bedroom collector geek who is hopelessly alienated from the bodily hedonism of a decent soundsystem/rave/club party and who thereby fashions a resentment based alibi for why he can't get down.
>Furthermore, if you consider the sociological origins of contemporary electronic dance music in black and gay clubs in Chicago and New York and then consider the overall "whiteness" and "straightness" of the average IDM artist and fan it all starts to look kind of sinister, like people patting themselves on the back because they are so much more advanced than those savages who leap about to their wild drums or something. Sheesh. That said, I belong to the weblist called "IDM" and occasionally enjoy the discussions there, because I like some of the artists who get lassoed into that category (not to mention that we, occasionally, are lumped into that category too), and because you can occasionally find out about interesting records on that list. Like any other community, it allows for networking and exchange of information which is really useful and productive and powerful- but like any community, it always needs to define itself through exclusion, clique-ishness and the fashioning of some "other" excluded terms: rock music, women, noise, "real" dance music.
>I've noticed that whenever discussions drift towards anything about gender or sexuality on that list the cluelessness factor jumps off the chart. Matmos is IDM if that only means "might be talked about on the IDM list"- but I don't endorse that term "intelligent dance music" because it's laughable.

- Drew Daniel (Matmos)
>>
He's right you know
>>
>>74445004
i just don't get how he can be so racist without realising
>savages
like where tf did that come from
>>
All very reasonable, though he's just echoing what everyone thinks about the term
>>
>>74445021
He's obviously using the term "savages" there because he's making a strawman of the white idm producer who thinks he's superior to dance music's black and gay origins.
Which is a bit silly desu because no one like that has ever really existed
>>
>>74445058
ikr
IDM list in 1999 (when this interview was published) had plenty of posts about Derrick May, Carl Craig, Rob Hood, UR etc
as you say, massive strawman
>>
only takes 5 seconds to look up where the term IDM came from and realise it's not that pretentious at all, it's just a genre tag that stuck over time because it's helpful

it's more cringey to see people talk smack about the term
it's just a term, get over it
>>
No one even listens to IDM anymore - OPN, Arca and various other tumblrtronica is trendy with the teens right now.

Criticising IDM today is like criticising prog rock, both cases are beating a dead horse.
>>
>>74445297
OPN and Arca are IDM though
>>
>>74444944
>thinks he's making a point by criticizing a genre term that has only ever been completely disavowed and openly hated by every major artist to whom it was ever applied
>do i get extra points for muh feminism and muh black people are gr8? lol whyt peepo suck am i rite?
Virtue signalling turd who's apparently mad about something (probably Trump if this is a recent quotation) and projecting it onto imaginary IDM nazis. LAME.
>>
Post top 5 female idm artists
>>
>>74444944
I don't think "IDM" was ever meant to be taken seriously as a term.
>>
>>74445660
laurel halo
mira calix
leila arab
holly herndon
grimes
>>
>>74446059
>laurel halo
she's never made idm in her life
>>
The real question is why do people listen to IDM.

Its the electronic equivalent to mallgoth poseur tryhard shit.
>>
File: 1501494963039.jpg (30KB, 451x439px) Image search: [Google]
1501494963039.jpg
30KB, 451x439px
>>74444944
>IDM
sorry, I want my dance music to be plain
>>
>>74446285
/mu/tants take the ''''intelligent'''' part literally and think that makes their taste better lls
>>
>>74446285
>chooses music by style associations
>calls others posers
nice try you projecting moron
>>
>>74446299
>more complex != better

Dragonforce confirmed superior to Bob Dylan
>>
>>74446304
>complains about using the label IDM
>in a thread about IDM
>>
>>74446339
where did I do that?
>>
File: CJdSyUV.jpg (65KB, 530x600px) Image search: [Google]
CJdSyUV.jpg
65KB, 530x600px
>>74446322
? I said I don't want intellectualism when I dance
>>
Well yeah. The term just became a marketing tag to appeal to the non-dance audience, rather than an actual genre label.
I agree with the OP, and pretty much all of the "IDM" poster children like RDJ, ae, Squarepusher etc think the term is bollocks as well.
>>
>>74446355
why do people say this stuff have they got no idea how racist it is to suggest all dance music has to be boneheaded
>>
File: giphy.gif (355KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
355KB, 500x375px
>>74446355
assumed sarcasm, carry on Homer
>>
>>74446370
no, not boneheaded, there are graceful tunes that also are not intellectualised
>>
>>74446383
you assume
>>
>>74446370
>racist
oh boy here we go...
>>
>>74444944

aphex twin doesn't like the name idm because he likes normal dance music too
>>
>>74445021
how can you not understand anything this much
he's referring to the attitude of the IDM bedroom producer who mocks the EDM club scene
>>
>>74446390
it is though
you only ever hear that shit from white music writers
black music writers love aphex etc because they get it
>>
>>74446370
No dance music is ''boneheaded''
>>
>>74446393
but he just pulled that out of his ass, he literally just said some racist stuff and blamed some imaginary person for it
>>
>>74444944
Why does electronic music attract so many nu-male weaklings?
>>
>>74446403
and neither is it anti-intellectual
like, have you even heard drexciya
>>
>>74444944
If they'd just used '''experimental'' instead of ''intelligent'' they could have save 20 years of dumb internet arguments.
>>
>>74445309
very little of opns stuff has anything to do with dance music.
>>
>>74446425
neither does SAWII but so what, IDM was a never literal description
>>
>>74446409
no, he explained his point by saying that the majority of people that happily describe their music as "IDM" are white, and considering the history of "EDM" with black audiences, like in Detroit, a racial undertone of superiority becomes obvious
>>
>>74446415
Exactly. Theres dance music and theres other dance music. Then theres other electronic music not made for inna dance.
>>
File: 1474629868469.jpg (72KB, 598x792px) Image search: [Google]
1474629868469.jpg
72KB, 598x792px
The rant might be justified but I honestly cannot think of a single artist who self-identifies as IDM.
>>
>>74446202
Neither did Grimes.

>>74446285
Because it's an album based genre unlike most other electronic music.
>>
>>74446473
I don't believe thats the main reason on here because there are plenty of regular dance music albums. just because kiddies in /bleep/ like to act superior because of muh singles, I don't buy it.
>>
>>74446438
but the IDM list used to discuss tons of detroit artists, it wasn't some whites only club, wtf
he was actually on there and he's saying that shit which is even worse, selective blindness
like you'd have to just ignore all the mills and drexciya threads to even go there, he chose to go there, idk why
>>
>>74446513
idk i think its less selective blindness and just selecting a new perspective on the thing
so many ppl have said 'IDM is dumb tag'
i think it's interesting avenue to look at issue from
yes, definitely doesn't represent issue as a whole.
but if we did that every time we made any point we'd never stop talking
>>
>>74446423
THIS

could have avoided everything
>>
>>74446532
i just don't understand americans, why does everything have to be about race
>>
>>74446555
because their entire culture is founded on racial issues.. e.g two holocausts
hard to avoid it
>>
>>74446575
more like entire economics founded on slave labor
>>
>>74446575
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
>>
>>74444944
>le straight white male boogeyman
>>
>>74446504
the ironic part is people over 18 who actually go clubbing, not underage pardners pretending to be brits on 4chan, actual clubbers would always choose mixes over singles anyway unless DJs
>>
>>74446504
Yeah, there are, but the primary form of releasing music in electronic music is not the album, so the point remains.
>>
>>74446285
because it's interesting
>>
>>74446713
>checks the /mu/ essentials

Discovery, Cross, the list goes on...
>>
>>74446793
Found the /mu/tard

Also, every item on the /mu/ "essentials" is an album, so no surprise the electronic "essentials" are going to be albums as well. The /mu/ "essentials" suck anyways.
>>
>>74446713
yeah especially dance music doesn't really work with mu's obsession with albums
it's more of a single / ep world
>>
>>74446513
If anything IDM largely evolved as an extension of the Detroit stuff and was opposed to "dumb" Eurodance shit, which was mostly German or Dutch and overwhelmingly white.
>>
>>74446463
I think people do self-identify as IDM, but it's only out of convenience. No one really endorses it.
>>
>>74447477
Anything is intelligent compared to 2 Unlimited
>>
>>74447477
this
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.