[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Albums that start out great and then fall the fuck off

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 7

>>
How? I mean it's not even that good overall, but if anything it gets better as it goes on.
>>
File: ehh.jpg (62KB, 625x636px) Image search: [Google]
ehh.jpg
62KB, 625x636px
>>74436359
Excuse me, normie answer coming through
>>
File: Swans_To_Be_Kind.jpg (7KB, 316x316px) Image search: [Google]
Swans_To_Be_Kind.jpg
7KB, 316x316px
>>
>>74436377
The first 4 songs are great (especially On the Run) and then it gets excessively droll and uneventful, there's plenty of great production and skill but the music from The Great Gig In the Sky onward is just boring. The female wordless vocals on Great Gig as well as some of the other songs are unnecessary as well

>>74436427
That's a great album but the length of Bring the Sun / Toussaint L'Ouverture mess up the album up to that point, but everything before and after that (other than the directionlessness of Just a Little Boy) is great though.
>>
File: image.jpg (41KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41KB, 1000x1000px
>>
>>74436642
Naw its the second half that gets me. Everything except Oxygen and To Be Kind
>>
File: Ziggy-Stardust-Cover.jpg (307KB, 1300x1300px) Image search: [Google]
Ziggy-Stardust-Cover.jpg
307KB, 1300x1300px
>>
>>74436664
that's fair enough
>>74436658
yeah I feel that, honestly I can't really get into this album at all. It seems to me like everything from Chocolate and Cheese that I didn't give a shit about
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (324KB, 1080x961px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
324KB, 1080x961px
>>
>>74436642
>Not liking that killer bass line on Money
>Not liking Us and Them
>Not liking Any Colour You Like leading into Brain Damage/Eclipse, possibly the greatest closer to an album ever

kys yourself
>>
>>74436642
>especially On the Run
You're kidding right. It's just an arpeggio Wright made up on a sequencer with random sound effects thrown in. Sure it might have sounded cool for its time but the other songs didn't indulge in novelties showing its age.
>The female wordless vocals on Great Gig as well as some of the other songs are unnecessary as well
To each his own when it comes to enjoyment, but to call the vocals unnecessary is wrong. With just a piano and organ the song lacks meaning and the wordless wail is the only logical expression of death. You can't really describe it so what better way to write a song about it than have it wordless?
>>
>>74436642
> The Great Gig In the Sky onward is just boring. The female wordless vocals on Great Gig as well as some of the other songs are unnecessary as well

What the fuck are you talking about? Who gives a shit if its "necessary". The point is, how does it sound? And it sounds pretty amazing and adds texture and layers to the track. The vocals are amazing.
>>
>>74436642
Bloody hell anon, Great Gig is the highlight of the album for me. Saw David Gilmour live last year and that song live made my arm hairs stand, it was fucking sublime.
>>
>>74437387
I'll check it out again, and like I said there isn't really anything exceptionally bad about it, but I just didn't really find anything that draws me into it. And like I said the vocals are a bit much
>>
>>74436830
>'Money'

worst song on the album, doesn't even belong
>>
>>74437490
If it's not for you then fair enough anon. For me it immediately made me think of death but in a good way, it always makes me think of a near death experience I had and I feel elation that I survived when I hear Great Gig in the Sky. But then, that's a very personal connection and I doubt it's shared by a lot of people.
>>
>>74437490
you dont like it cus its too good..?
holy shit i think i just took the ultimate music redpill
>>
>>74437174
By "unnecessary" I mean it sounds unnecessary and takes away from the product. Those vocals are overly done and this fact is the root of its problem
The album does have great layering of things though
>>74436873
>Great Gig
I mean the way you're describing it gives it some good meaning and the fact that it's able to be described this way speaks for its value in this dimension. However within the dimension of actual musical captivation I feel it's lacking, but not necessarily only because of the vocals. My opinion of the album's drollness is probably a large aspect of my distaste with Great Gig. I mainly dislike the wordless vocals on it because they are over the top but this alone isn't enough to make it bad; I feel the wordless vocals could've worked better if the music itself was more captivating and was presented in a way that gives the wordless vocals a better excuse to exist.
>You're kidding right. It's just an arpeggio Wright made up on a sequencer with random sound effects thrown in.
I guess that goes to show that that's enough to make something good
>Sure it might have sounded cool for its time but the other songs didn't indulge in novelties showing its age.
Sorry but what? I can't tell if you're saying that it sounds like it's aged badly, but if you are then I'd disagree and I'd argue that this is the case for much of the rest of the album
>>74436830
I mean I don't necessarily find those things captivating but I wouldn't say that I find anything necessarily wrong with what they accomplish, the album on a whole is still good obviously. I just think it's too weak and directionless in a lot of ways (and not directionless in a good way).
>>
>>74437573
That's totally valid, and the fact that the music is able to give a person this kind of meaning is a triumph of it
>>74437597
lol I just feel like the vocals are a bit excessive, but I also feel like there exists an approach where these kind of vocals would work nicely. The way it was done here though doesn't draw me in though and sounds too much for me.
>>
>>74436359
The last four tracks are the best fucking part of the album
>>
File: The_who_sell_out_album_front.jpg (26KB, 316x316px) Image search: [Google]
The_who_sell_out_album_front.jpg
26KB, 316x316px
Pic posted starts out strong as a good concept album, giving one the feeling they are listening to a British pirate radio station, but falls apart on the second half of side two.

That being said, the music is great from start to finish in spite of, and despite the fact that it falls apart at the end.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.