[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: artists that just aren't all that great

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 4

File: Elliott Smith.jpg (53KB, 430x430px) Image search: [Google]
Elliott Smith.jpg
53KB, 430x430px
ITT: artists that just aren't all that great
>>
>>74432871
Do us all a favor and stab yourself in the chest two times
>>
>>74433315
>>74432871
huh
>>
>>74433315
fpbp
>>
>>74432871
YOU FUCKING LIE
GET THE FUCK OUT
>>
>>74433315
fpbp
>>
File: nick-drake-tuck-box.jpg (277KB, 1600x1048px) Image search: [Google]
nick-drake-tuck-box.jpg
277KB, 1600x1048px
>>
>>74434009
Do us all a favor and swallow a whole bottle of antidepressants
>>
>>74432871
when they clean the street
OP's gonna be the only shit that's left behind
>>
>>74433315
badass way to die desu
>>
OP is wrong
>>
Elliot smith.

Zero great albums
Just some good songs
>>
>>74435389
Which songs of his are "good" in your opinion?
>>
>>74435389
>Roman Candle
>Elliott Smith
>Either/Or
>XO
>Figure 8
>From a Basement on the Hill
>New Moon
>>
>>74435490
King's Crossing
Angeles
Junk Bond Trader
Independence Day
Roman Candle
Cupid's Trick
Christian Brothers
Rose Parade

Probably a few others
>>
>>74435626
Colorbars is another one
>>
>>74434009
this
>>
File: 1493080000366.png (39KB, 321x322px) Image search: [Google]
1493080000366.png
39KB, 321x322px
>>74433315
>>
>>74436005
Kill yourself asshole.
>>
Radiohead
>>
>>74434009
tru
>>74432871
fals
>>74437431
tru
>>
>>74437469
elliott smith is the worst of the three
>>
>>74437483
see >>74433315
>>
shoegaze
>>
>>74432871
All of them desu. Nothing in the world is that remarkable. Life is pretty meh.
>>
U2. Most overrated band of all time.
>>
>>74438618
Most people already hate them though. They had some decent songs in the 80s.
>>
>>74438641
True, but the people who like U2 are the most toxic fans in music imo
>>
>>74438550
Only correct answer ITT
>>
>>74435389
I kinda agree. I'm a fan of a lot of stuff that people consider similar, though. A lot of people who like some of my favorite bands share Elliot as a favorite, but I've never felt it. I found it weird that some comments compare him. He's always seems whiny, and his song composition isn't that interesting to me. It's just kinda 'you hear one song, you've heard em all' to me.
>>
>>74432871
Boy does Bob Dylan suck outside historical context
>>
>>74438906
>his song composition isn't that interesting to me.
Is this your first week listening to music or something? How do you think songs like Junk Bond Trader or Angel in the Snow aren't interesting composition wise? The fact that he could play an ultra-complex song like "Tomorrow Tomorrow" AND sing at the same time shows how much of a genius he was.
>>
>>74439047
Well, I haven't heard that many of his songs. Like I said, he didn't seem that great to me, so I lost interest and didn't really check much of him out. I tried an album some time back and it all kinda blended together so I never went back. I remember he kinda sings every song the same way too and I just got bored.

I'm listening to those two right now and, yeah I don't think it's interesting. Angel in the Snow sounds like every sad acoustic song ever. Junk Bond Trader is different from it, sure, but it doesn't seem like anything special to me. Just kinda general rock song. His voice isn't very appealling to me either, it all kinda comes off as the same to me, and I find the subject matter dull.

I dunno, all because he can play a song that's difficult to pull off with your fingers and sing doesn't exactly mean it's genius composing
>>
>>74438550
>>74438826
get sum pussy faggots lmao
>>
File: 960.jpg (128KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
960.jpg
128KB, 960x540px
>>
>>74439211
I have a boyfriend you try-hard virgin
>>
>>74439183
No offense mate but I feel really bad for you. You're seriously missing out on probably the greatest songwriter of the 90s.
>>
>>74439252
>being a faggot
>>
>>74439281
Well, opinions, opinions. I just think their are other sad druggies that do what he tries to much better and more interestingly.
>>
>>74439183
>Angel in the Snow sounds like every sad acoustic song ever
Then you must not have heard a lot of sad acoustic songs, then.

>Junk Bond Trader
>just kinda general rock song
Generic rock songs don't come anywhere near the complex chord progression and layering that this song has.

>all because he can play a song that's difficult to pull off with your fingers and sing doesn't exactly mean it's genius composing
I never even claimed that. The fact that the song is incredibly complex and requires mad picking skills means it's genius composing.

I don't mean to be a dick but you're killing me with statements like that. You not liking his music is completely okay but writing it off as generic is rather ridiculous. Study some music theory. I gained an incredible amount of respect for Smith and his music when I started playing guitar myself.
>>
Kanye West
>>
>>74439383
Who are some of your favorite "sad druggie" types that are more interesting?
>>
>>74439281
You need to listen to more music if you honestly think that anon
>>
>>74439412
Who do you think is better, then? Let's hear it.
>>
>>74438915
Imagine being this much of a pleb.
>>
>>74439431
Most any other songwriter anon
>>
>>74439549
No.
>>
>>74439389
t. easily impressed teenage girl
>>
>>74439582
But you're wrong though
>>
>>74439389
I don't claim to know music theory, I'm just stating my opinion, but this post sounds off to me. You have to study theories to appreciate his music? What kind of logic is that? I'm not a guitar player, I'm a listener, so maybe you can appreciate the practice it takes to write the songs, sure, but I don't find it that fascinating to listen to, and learning the chords isn't going to change it for me.

On the composing thing, I'm not saying it isn't hard to pull off, but all because something is difficult to perform doesn't mean it's appealling to listen to on that alone. The way you're posting, it's like you're implying it's 'objectively' good all because of how difficult it is to perform, when it's all subjective regardless.

>>74439410
I really enjoy Conor Oberst's stuff, but it's more varied than just sad druggie stuff, though you could label him as that. I find his stuff interesting and he's got a lot of variety in the kinds of songs he's produced.
>>
>>74439592
>>74439614
Not an argument.
>>
>>74435626
>Miss Misery
>Between The Bars
>Everything Means Nothing To Me
>Waltz #2
>Suicide Machine
>>
>>74439717
>Not an argument.
Not an argument
>>
>>74439752
K bb go listen 2 Nirvana
>>
>>74439821
>Nirvana
lel try harder fag
>>
>>74439831
No need to be ashamed, they had 1 or 2 decent songs.
>>
>>74439860
I don't like either Nirvana and Elliot Smith because I have taste unlike you
>>
>>74439627
I'm genuinely surprised you're into Oberst but not Smith. Usually people who love one of them tend to love the other as well.

I'm not saying Smith's music is objectively good because it's complex. I'm just saying that's objectively false to call it generic because it's anything but. Even though he wrote pop songs, he still wrote them in an incredibly unique fashion. Even for a guy with an acoustic guitar, Smith penned tunes that would give Nick Drake a run for his money.

Whether or not you like his songs is entirely your deal, and I can't bash you for your subjective taste. All I'm trying to say is that his music not generic in any way and that maybe picking up an instrument or learning a little bit of theory might help you appreciate his music a little bit more. If it doesn't click, it doesn't click.
>>
>>74439894
Yeah. You have taste, alright. Shit taste.
>>
>>74439944
>being this in denial
>>
>>74439958
LOL keep telling yourself that
>>
>>74439739
>>Miss Misery
Meh
>>Between The Bars
Meh
>>Everything Means Nothing To Me
Meh
>>Waltz #2
Ok
>>Suicide Machine
Meh

He's just not that good.
>>
>>74438906
>It's just kinda 'you hear one song, you've heard em all' to me.
Yeah agreed.

He wasn't that remarkable of a songwriter and his popularity exploded after he killed himself.
>>
>>74439183
Agree with other guy. Smith is perhaps the best songwriter of the 90s.

It took me a bit to get into him too. I didn't get into him til last year around late Autumn.

If his voice bores you listen to Needle In The Hay live version, also compositionally and lyrically Miss Misery is a great starting point and it's one of the only perfect songs imo.

Listen to Alameda, too. Not accusing you but there's a good chance you will relate to it.
>>
>>74439972
the absolute state of this assblasted teenage girl
>>
>>74439627
When you grow up, Oberst will be elementary and you'll appreciate Smith. I bet you think Conor is better than Dylan, great even.

And I'm not mean and I'm not trolling but you liking Conor Oberst past the age of 17 actually makes laugh condescendingly.
>>
>>74440076
You already called me a teenage girl 6 posts ago. Why are you still posting, you insecure faggot?
>>
>>74439987
I don't blame you for not liking something that requires emotions and a personality to hear.
>>
Conor Oberst and Elliott Smith both suck dick.
>>
>>74440113
Personality?

Elliott Smith is music for mopey, morose virgins.
>>
>>74440106
That was a different anon you absolute retard. I'm only responding because you are on damage control after your favourite artist got shit on and you keep posting trying to prove you're the one who isn't insecure.
>>
Nirvana is also better than Elliott Smith
>>
>>74440172
There's no damage to control because no one ever proved me wrong on how he's a bad artist. Don't worry sweetie. I'll let you have the last post so you can feel like a big boy. Have at it.
>>
>>74440131
You're speaking from a place who's never learned what music is for in the first place, so you're obviously going to believe that.
>>
>>74440219
I'm more of an experienced listener than you are.

No one knows why you're so angry.
>>
>>74440131
I guess Beck, The Flaming Lips, Frank Ocean and Madonna are mopey, morose virgins...

Really fires the neurons.
>>
>>74440228
I'm not angry, man. I'm just giving it to you straight is all. Some truth sounds hateful or passionate but that's because you're only still sensitive to it.
>>
>>74440206
Why are you here in this thread if you weren't insecure about it in the first place?
>>
>>74440257
Yeah Elliott Smith just isn't that great.
>>
>>74440131
>Personality?

Exactly.
>>
>>74440098
I don't think Bob Dylan is special either. It kind of seems like fans of these big names like Smith and Dylan are just that to feel above others. It's like ever since you find out x was a 'classic' name, you've taken it as gospel and deluded yourself to believe it and then every conversation you ever have about music has to compare to it. That kind of mentality is laughable, or it would be if it wasn't so sad
>>
>>74440278
Idk this is getting weird

If Dylan is here, elliot smith is

.here
>>
>>74440264
To discuss his music and maybe change some minds? Are we not on a music discussion board, after all?
>>
>>74440278
You made up a mentality to laugh at, that's your mentality, man.

I don't feel the need to defend Dylan or Smith, but someones gotta tell you that by being blind to others you're being blind to yourself, too.

This is not always the case but it is with yours which is clear.
>>
Elliott smith is the linkin park version of bob dylan
>>
>>74432871
Counterpoint: no
>>
>>74440328
lol

Not really. This thread shows as much, there isn't any casual fan of big names like Smith. They either don't care for it or argue it as GOAT because it just can't be somewhere in between
>>
>>74440354
Bob Dylan is a unique poet because of the unique place in time.

Smith himself has carved a very unique place and has only touched the gems, but never made himself a crown with them. He will prove to be one of the greats.
>>
>>74440314
>>74440314
Anon, you're not gonna change any minds when you get into petty arguments with other anons about it
>>
>>74438711
not really tbqh
U2 barely even has actually fans at this point unless you mean 50 year old men who like pretty much all dadrock
>>
>>74440375
There are no casual fans of T.S. Eliot or Ezra Pound, either.

You're standing very very close to Conor Oberst, and very far from anything else to tell the difference is all.
>>
>>74440375
>They either don't care for it or argue it as GOAT because it just can't be somewhere in between
Which is exactly what it is.

The closest thing Elliott Smith came to writing a complete album is either/or, which still had tracks like Ballad of Big Nothing, Pictures of Me, Punch and Judy, and Say Yes.

The guy just couldn't reel it in for a full album.

The others are even spottier.
>>
>>74440375
>They either don't care for it or argue it as GOAT because it just can't be somewhere in between
Because it can't. Watch how many artists he influences within the next decade. It's already started with Frank Ocean and Mac Demarco, both of whom cite him as a major influence. There's a depressed generation coming of age right now and Smith's getting more followers every single day despite dying in 2003.
>>
>>74440440
What's wrong with the others? His self-titled and his 2 posthumous records were fantastic.
>>
>>74440478
I agree with the other anon. I just don't think Smith ever pulled off a truly great album. But I have a feeling it's because he didn't believe he could.

He was a disjointed freak in all things to the end, even in his greatest achievement. He was a true artist.
>>
>>74440478
From A Basement on The Hill is alright (King's Crossing, Twilight, A Passing Feeling). Far from fantastic.

I can't name you a single song from New Moon and I don't remember what any of them sound like.

All the other albums he released while alive suffer from the same problem.

2-5 stand out tracks, the rest ranging from serviceable to forgettable
>>
>>74440514
But I never heard his debut album admittedly! Can't get past some of his songs and other albums yet
>>
>>74440438
>You're standing very very close to Elliot Smith, and very far from anything else to tell the difference is all.
>>
>>74440454
I disagree the implication that Frank Ocean and Mac are any bit noteworthy as credible pillars of anything but other than that this guy gets it.
>>
OP here

I'll also add that I believe Elliott Smith died before finding his proper grounding and before peaking.
>>
>>74440537

That was spotty wording, to clarify:

If you're close enough to the class of songwriting that Conor Oberst dwells in, you're too far from anything different enough to tell the difference.

I don't blame you for not liking or disliking anything, but you'll understand eventually if you're human enough and if your insolence means anything, you are.
>>
>>74435626
Gonna be that guy and pick on your taste for a second: simply put, if you didn't include no names #1 2 3 or 5, you don't "get" Elliott
>>
>>74440517
Here's my experience with his records:

First I listened to his more accessible songs, or the "stand out" ones as you call them. I listen to them for a few weeks. Then I started to get into his less accessible songs. After 2 solid years of listening to him, I think all of his records were fantastic. Some had their flaws (like XO and Figure 8 being overproduced) but they were still great as a whole. It just takes some time. There's something about his records that makes you keep coming back. I wouldn't give up on his less-accessible songs. You might be writing off some music that you could potentially really enjoy.
>>
>>74440537
And the difference between my implication and yours is that I've already felt Conor, and loved and admired him, but you've never felt or even seen Smith yet.
>>
>>74440590
Like them or not, they're both giants in the music industry right now who took notes from Elliott's style of music. I'm just trying to provide the most relevant example for music today. There will be more in the future.
>>
>>74440440
Wait are you actually implying that big nothing and SAY YES bring either/or down?? I know this is all supposed to be subjective but how can anyone actually think such a thing?
>>
>ITT: I'm not into it so it's bad/uninteresting/forgettable
These aren't legitimate criticisms. No ones opinions are objective. That said, Elliott Smith had objectively intricate compositions. If you're not into them, listen to something else, and don't spend all day trying to get others to convince you it's worth listening to or vice versa. If you actually want to get into Elliott Smith, or any musician, listen to all their stuff.

Now delete your shitty thread faggot.
>>
>>74440705
Oh yeah, Say Yes does without a question.
>>
>>74440639
Gonna be that guy who responds to a post not directed at him but:

You can listen to Clementine and 2:45AM and you've already touched the essence of Elliott, just how if you heard A Hard Rain and Desolation Row you'll understand the infinite thing Dylan's visions and essence was composed of.

Infinite I say because these songs are like abyssal hells or eternal heavens. You can only ever get deeper and deeper but if youve touched it at all you won't mistake it for anything else, and that's what poetry is.
>>
>>74440715
Wow move on to the next thread you soft shouldered primadonna. You're unhinged.

Elliott Smith is not that good.
>>
>>74440745
You have shit taste and Elliott Smith is 2deep4u. That better retard?
>>
>>74439627
>Conor Oberst
A diet Elliott Smith who can't sing and has no balls to spice up his music with intimate vocal harmonies or instrumental experimentation. Your taste in "sad druggies" is trash. I bet you like Nirvana too.
>>
>>74440800
No, you champion Elliott Smith. There's no way I could respect your opinion.
>>
>>74440735
What I mean to say is the poetry of Dylan plunges forever into an ethereal world where two riders with the weight of another world ride to a princess in a watchtower, and what their message or what they bring will never be heard or understood, like Kafka's "The Emperor".

Elliott has achieved the heights of this poetry. The empty simple loneliness weighs down in bars like ones described in Clementine with a song that will never end. It's a sharp precise scene that speaks to eternal hells in such a cold, fucked way that it's accuracy is unparalleled in that field.

If anything would make me believe that Smith actually killed himself, it's that he was capable of the acquisition of true poetry in this kind of sadness, and I only need to hear Clementine.
>>
>>74440894
>>74440735

Wow I wasn't expected such a well reasoned response but there it is. I guess I can't really argue with that, except I've always considered Clementine more mellow than depressing. For me, I'd say his ultimate abyssal hell song would have to be The Last Hour, and Say Yes or Satellite his eternal heaven cut.
Thread posts: 115
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.