[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

band starting advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

File: tian.jpg (94KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
tian.jpg
94KB, 800x533px
>tips for starting a band
hey fellas, im starting a classic rock band with a few old buddies and we have no idea where to start and what to do
also general local band thread
pic unrelated
>>
>classic rock
first, don't
>>
>>74430206
Get really high, pick a name, then jam. Later put some shit together and find someone to record it.
>>
Still looking to join a band since I've moved out, no one seemed interested enough. Damnit.
>>
get a metronome. all of you.
>>
how do i get more fast and more violent im the drummer in a powerviolence band
>>
>>74431417
amphetamine
>>
>>74431553
ok how about just the more fast part
>>
>>74431579
idk try Red Bull
>>
>>74431701
will do, thank you <3
>>
literally just jam, youll figure something out, it doesnt have to be very complex or good at first, just try and make it sound like something decent, you're never goign to get big, and you'll probably just play bars, so accept that you're doing it for fun not for fame
>>
>>74431795
to clarify, jam until it sounds a little coherent, then try and actually turn it into a song, do this for each song you want, unless one of you has a riff or something and wants to make music to it
>>
im the lead frontman of my band
our drummer and bassist fucking suck and i tell them all the time and theyre aware, but dont know how to practice better
what do?
>>
>>74431834
How do we jam
>>
>>74432541
how many people are in it? if its just three and a vocalist then just someone start playing something that they think sounds good on guitar, the bassist tries to play it too, (or the reverse is fine), and the drummer does something, if you want once youve done that change to a different chord so youve got a chord progression or something
>>
>>74432585
Should drums just be classic boring rock beat or smth? I'm self teaching drums cause can't really afford lessons but listening along to songs is easy.

I don't knownfills and it takes me ages to learn a piece so I don't think I could do much more
>>
>>74432626
i self taught myself, i don't know how to play classic rock, but i just did normal beats by keeping time with a cymbal and using my snare, eventually i learned to do fills by just hitting my snare really fast in between keeping time, if you want for now you can just do some boring beats and pray your friends are good enough to make your drumming not as important as their playing, but if not, again, its for fun, dont sweat it, just practice and experimenta little with how you play until you feel like youve gotten good enough to integrate something new that youve found while dicking around into songs
>>
>>74432886
Cool. You sound experienced. Have you been in bands before
>>
>>74432976
im in small local bands, but i've only been drumming for a year, and i'm not extremely experienced, with only two shoes under my belt, but if you get basic technique down like how to hold your stick and not get tired and a bunch of other stuff you really should be fine
>>
>>74433009
Cool thanks.

Also don't worry, I've never met a three legged drummer so we're all on equal ground
>>
>>74433072
im retarded, i meant two shows, im in two bands and ive done two shows, i was too excited to give you advice so i didn't spellcheck
>>
File: miller.png (195KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
miller.png
195KB, 640x360px
>>74433009
>>74433072
kekario
>>
>>74433106
I know anon, I was just messing. Thank you for the advice, now all I have to do is find friends who aren't dicks and who want to make music
>>
>>74431795
>>74431834
Best advice in the thread.
>>74432521
If you're the "lead frontman" and your bandmates "fucking suck" but you don't know how to give them guidance, you're actually just the wanky guitarist and mediocre singer with an out of control ego.
>>
just copy songs you already like and tweak them.
led zeppelin made a career off it
>>
>>74433159
if you really want to, you can use craigslist for your area and make an ad on the musician section, I did once and got plenty of emails, but you can't be a pushover, if you don't like who you meet then don't play with them again and try someone else
>>
File: MODELO-CHALDA.jpg (47KB, 404x604px) Image search: [Google]
MODELO-CHALDA.jpg
47KB, 404x604px
>>74432626
play what you can execute. Listen to pink Floyd, the drummer (Nick Mason) doesn't really do anything fancy but he executes perfectly. It doesn't matter if you have some great idea if you can't actually play it. Tend more towards Ringo/Charlie Watts as opposed to Peart/Bonham.
>>
>>74433178
elaboration and examples pls
>>
>>74433185
I might try this, but the people that use Craigslist in my area probably aren't up for bands

>>74433216
Yeah I'll try this simple backing with fun little fills every so often. When jamming, who follows who? Is there any structure to it, like a song?

Should I just lay back and play whatever fits, changing to suit the rhythm as best I c an, or should I try to change it up myself every so often.
>>
>>74433230
cover a song you already like and then start seeing what parts your creativity would change.
or steal a riff from a song you like but change the lyrics and other stuff.
>>
>>74432626
>>74433216
Oh yeah and get a metronome. If possible and you wont bother family/roommates/neighbors, set up some speakers or headphones and play along with some simple songs that you like. Try to really nail it, and when you run into a section you can't quite do, don't just skip past it, listen to what the drummer is doing and do it over and over and over and over and over and over, and then do that about 600-6000 more times. If you're not bored to tears by playing something, you're not good at it yet.
>>
>>74433318
zeppelin examples when
>>
>>74433292
In terms of melody, harmony and structure, whoever wrote the song kind of leads it. In terms of rhythm, the drums/bass should be driving the bus. But everybody should be listening to each other.

Do yourself a favor: listen to some classic rock (if that's what you're going for, other genres do this too). Take note how 80-90% of the time, the bass drum and bass guitar are matching each other exactly.
>>
>>74433339
Yeah I use earplugs and then loud headphones over them to play along songs.

>>74433441
Yeah, I've noticed that. If I didn't Jose drums I would've totally gone with bass.
>>
>>74433506
Also, if you're really genuinely serious about getting better at drums, pic up the book "Stick Control for the Snare Drummer". It's widely regarded as the most important literature on drumming.
>>
>>74433764
Thabks
>>
>>74433783
Actually I just found this video. This guy does a good job explaining why it's so important. There's a reason the call these "exercises". Lifting weights and doing cardio won't teach an MMA fighter how to fight, but he won't be able to fight if he can't do pushups and run.
>>
>>74433923
whoops heres the link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ieQuVVnEp0
>>
>>74430206
just make passable, not too outright bad music, practice so you guys can play together consistently well and on time, and do bar gigs, even starting with open jams. Take as many gigs as possible unless youre required to pay to perform (dumbest shit ever)
thats the easiest start you can get desu
>>
>>74433946
Thank you anon good luck in life
>>
>>74431579
Less amphetamines
>>
Seeing as there are some drummers in here anybody got a huge list of books/websites/videos good for self teaching. Have played bass for 3 years and since nobody in my area knows how to drum well I'm considering taking it into my own hands to learn.
>>
>>74434936
just listen to drum parts you like and try to learn them
>>
>>74435191
I had 3/4 drum lesson when I was younger, so although I had a really long hiatus between I feel like it was like riding a bike, so I can't leo with starting from sceatch, sorry. My best suggestion is check out video tutorials on YouTube.
>>
>>74431579
You need to build stamina, when your off work and watching TV or something just smack the couch or a pillow with your drum sticks at a steady fast pace for a good 1-2 hours a day.
Continue to ramp up the pace then use your new fast drumming powers to let all those emo kids know who is boss
>>
>>74436566
do you have any guides to proper holding technique, i use my arm and i know i shouldnt, i try to use my wrists but i tense up a bit
>>
File: KsSMFdx.jpg (4MB, 2000x2678px) Image search: [Google]
KsSMFdx.jpg
4MB, 2000x2678px
>>74430206
Like everybody else said - Jam. But also before your first practice make a list of 2-4 songs that everybody should learn.
Also don't worry about jamming cuz 99/100 times the guitarist will noddle and the bass will follow then you can come in and back it.
Also here are some general tips:
>If you are only playing covers then ensure you have a decent singer, no one wants to hear a smoker sing genesis
>The bass keeps drums on a leash, don't over power him
>Don't be a dick about not being able to play a song because someone thinks a part is genuinely too difficult for them
>Set a scheduale for at least once a week
>Practice is for learning EVERYONE ELSE'S part NOT yours
>Learn your part on your own time
>Check Craigslist if you need new people
>Avoid kicking people out of the band if possible but dont be a pushover
One more thing; dont limit yourself to one genre, only when you start jamming will you know your band's style and who brings what to the table
>>74436589
Im not a drummer myself, was just relaying advice I heard from my drummer. But I do know for a fact that you won't play very fast or at all fluent if you use your forearms, power through the pain and use your wrists.
>>74433339
>If you're not bored to tears by playing something, you're not good at it yet.
This a thousand times
>>74432521
The majority of "frontmen" are just mediocre singers who play power chords and don't understand shit, so forgive me for not believing you when you say your rhythm section 'sucks' because most likely your just salty that you can't play certain songs on account of everyone else actually having a semi difficult job
>>
>>74436566
That is absolute crap advice. It's a great way to ingrain poor technique. You have to LISTEN when you practice, not just hit stuff fast you fucking scrub
>>
File: drommer.gif (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
drommer.gif
1MB, 320x240px
>>74436589
Don't listen to bad advice. You're going to have to learn how to separate good advice from bad. The idiot you replied to does not know what he's talking about.
>>74436927
This guy knows what he's talking about.
>>74434936
The first 3 pages, really the first page of Stick Control for the Snare Drummer should keep you occupied for a decade or two. I'm not kidding. Also look up "Drum Rudiments" (it's a concept, not a book)
>>74435191
This is true, just make sure you balance it out with metronome work on the fundamentals.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.