[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Advice for producing music

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 1414679905988.jpg (49KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1414679905988.jpg
49KB, 512x512px
i just got FL studio yesterday and have been playing around with it and this is the first thing i've ever made. anyone got any advice on how to get into music like the basics because i have no musical knowledge or concept of how a song is structured.

https://soundcloud.com/user-861504701/half

any advice and constructive criticisms on how to improve would be nice
>>
best thread for legitimate advice
but im curious what you want to know.

Do you want to know about song form, structure or production?

Song form and structure take place after you decide what genre you want to make. Hip hop? Well that form and structure is generally AB (correct me if im wrong) verse chorus. Instrumentation for that genre is drums, bass, something for a melody and maybe some strings etc. (extra sound effects for that professionalism).

Production has to do with mixing (making sure all levels are fine), add sweeteners (reverb etc), maybe some compression and mastering (ensuring all tracks flow to the next and aren't different levels).

Im sure someone could add more since Im only new to this myself
>>
>>74417335
A lot the time its about researching the genre of music you are interested in making and then trying to put it into practice.

Like understanding how hip hop artists got their sounds, how they recorded them and how they mixed it into the song (what instruments are prominent).
>>
>>74417820
I'm basically completely new to it all.
In respect to production i just know how to set up a basic drum pattern and then maybe add like a synth or piano type effect over the top but i want to know about melody etc.
what layers sound good in a song type of thing because when i try to add too many sounds it just sounds terrible, so every thing i make just ends up sounding horribly basic
>>
>>74417820
>>74417849
Where do i even start like there's so much to learn and etc.
obviously with time and experience i will improve but where should i start studying, i'm a complete beginner when it comes to music, i cant play the piano or any instrument besides guitar slightly (up to the level of anyway here's wonderwall)
>>
>>74417947
For the research part of it, look into some documentaries (based on the music not bands), read what engineers from productions have to say.

This is the copypaste from the /prod/ thread:
https://pastebin.com/SLFXu7PH

it has a lot of really good information. also "The art of mixing: a visual guide to recording, engineering, and production" by Gibson, D was an interesting read. (try to get it for free).

In regards, to music specifics, thats where i get stumped when researching. A lot of it is personal preference. I don't do hip hop but maybe this will apply.

A lot of my shit is quite basic as well but I find its much easier to put more shit in when instruments are in time.
eg. You have drums, bass, strings, melody line.
If the bass is locked into the drums and you can lock the strings into the melody line, i find i can incorporate more elements. But sometimes basic is good.
>>
>>74417947
Other than getting your ideas from other artists, getting into music theory is probably one of the only ways to get a good idea for the musical side.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.