[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Zappa overrated?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 1979FrankZappa01Getty220914-1.jpg (42KB, 399x600px) Image search: [Google]
1979FrankZappa01Getty220914-1.jpg
42KB, 399x600px
Give you a little background, I listen to all sorts of music, anything from British invasion blues - early Fleetwood Mac with Peter Green, to classical flamenco Isaac Albeniz to Joy Division/New order punk-post punk and all in between. I'm very open minded to new types of music and genres.

Today as crazy as it sounds I've decided to listen to all of Frank Zappa albums available on Spotify. I've always heard of Frank Zappa, I've seen some interviews with him, and read his name everywhere, but I have never heard of his actual music. Starting from Freak Out! (1966) I'm currently listening to Sleep Dirt (1979). I am not impressed by any of it. He tries to play something that resembles some free form jazz~grateful dead and some other music that just pure senseless noise that is hard to even listen to. Personally, I believe that he is not as talented as people say he was. It is not hard to go out today and find some musician can put out a lot of albums, but to me quality is always over quantity. I have not heard anything exceptionally good thus far, ex. Short lived Cream with Eric Clapton. I will continue to listen to his albums till I finish, but I am really not impressed by any of it. Is there any particular album that you consider to good that would you recommend? Please shed some light.

TLDR: In the process of listening to his whole discography, nothing impressive.
>>
JAZZZZZ FARRRRRT
>>
Ironic. He created musicians but couldn't make a musician out of himself.
>>
he is overrated as hell. He wrote some good songs but never a great album. His sense of humor and attempts at social commentary are god awful as well
>>
If you've already listened to his early stuff like Freak Out, Absolutely Free, WOIIFTM etc and you're not impressed then you shouldn't really bother, as that is easily his best stuff. Keep going until Joe's Garage and Sheik Yerbouti and if that doesn't bring you joy then quit because it just goes all down hill from there; You get the real dregs of failed experiments and albums made for a cheap buck.
>>
made art for a movement that was already dead. he is possibly the progenitor of the "things were better in the 60s" meme

Street: What do you think of punk rock?
Zappa: "I think it's gonna be the next great humiliator of the rock n' roll journalistic circuit."
Street: Do you think it's that already?
Zappa: "No, it hasn't reached the two front covers of Time and Newsweek with what's his name on the cover?"
Street: Johnny Rotten?
Zappa: "No. Who's the one they announced last year was gonna be the new Bob Dylan?"
Street: Not Iggy Pop.
Zappa: "No."
Street: Richard Hell?
Zappa: "God, there's so many of them. The guy from New Jersey."
Fass: Springsteen.
Zappa: "You've heard of Springsteen. Yeah."
Street: But do you really think he's part of punk rock?
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.