[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I really love prog rock and prog metal, but I heard that prog

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

I really love prog rock and prog metal, but I heard that prog has the rep for only being for stoners. Can I listen to prog and not smoke weed? I really like it and don't want to stop listening
>>
Why do you care what other people think?
>>
You can, sure, but it sounds even better after smoking weed.
>>
>>74399396
Why does what you heard matter to you? just enjoy your music and stop caring what nerds on the internet think.
>>
>>74399433
I wish I could, but I have a heart condition that restricts me from doing so.
>>
>>74399433
>>>Epitaph by King Crimson still gives me a half chub while high
>>
You can listen to whatever you want and not smoke weed, but if you like Yes you should definitely check out Phish, just saying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7954Qna9vs
>>
>>74399426
>>74399441
Idk why, I suppose I just do, but thanks, I am glad there are actual supportive people out here
>>
>>74399479
OP here, thanks dude! I'll check em out. I got tickets to see Yes live, I am so excited.
>>
Thanks for positive feedback guys :)
>>
What do you guys consider essential stuff to listen to when it comes to prog rock?
>>
>>74399685
Yes and Genesis are good starting points
>>
>>74399685
Rush is probably the most popular "Prog Rock" band, even though some argue they aren't prog
>>
>>74399708
Yes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FBcz3tBH74
>>
>>74399685
King Crimson and Yes are the big two. Genesis, Jethro Tull, Emerson Lake and Palmer, and Porcupine Tree are essentials as well.
>>
>>74399886
This guy knows his shit
>>
>>74399825
I literally watched this yesterday.
>>
>>74399886
>>74399396
Is this a JoJo reference?
>>
>>74399396
Plenty of prog is pretty straight edge desu. Crimson and Tull in particular. And modern prog bands are all far too square to do drugs.
>>
>>74399685
>What do you guys consider essential stuff to listen to when it comes to prog rock?

In the Court of the Crimson King
Tarkus
Fragile
Foxtrot
Animals

There is 5 to get you started.
>>
>>74399685
Here is the most entry-level/still good but you're only scratching the surface of prog list:

The absolute classics, MUST listen to

Yes - Close to the Edge
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King
Genesis - Foxtrot
Genesis - Selling England By the Pound
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick

More Yes/Intricate/Symphonic Stuff
Yes - Fragile
Yes - Tales from Topographic Oceans
Yes - The Yes Album
Yes - The Relayer
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Tarkus

More King Crimson (it's really it's own genre)
King Crimson - Red
King Crimson - Larks' Tongues in Aspic
King Crimson - Discipline
King Crimson - Islands (more classical)
King Crimson - In the Wake of Poseidon

More Genesis
Genesis - Nursery Crime
Genesis - Wind and Wuthering
Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

More Pink Floyd/Space Rock
Pink Floyd - Animals
Pink Floyd - Meddle (my personal PF favorite)
Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother
Pink Floyd - Ummagumma
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Pure Reason Revolution - The Dark Third
Coldplay - X&Y (not a prog band by any means by this album is very cheesy and space rock-y)

Caterbury scene -
Caravan - In the Land of Grey and Pink
Caravan - If I Could Do It All Over Again, I'd Do It All Over You
Hatfield and the North - Hatfield and the North

Progressive Pop-
Supertramp - Crime of the Century
Supertramp - Breakfast In America
Supertramp - Even in the Quietest Moments
Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head

Progressive Folk-
Jethro Tull - Aqualung

Also worth checking out:
Toe - the book about my idle plot on a vague anxiety
Vermilion Sands - Water Blue

Progressive Metal:
I am only familiar with Dream Theater in this part, I don't delve too deep into this part, but:
Dream Theater - Octavarium
Dream Theater - Six Degrees on Inner Turbulence
/mu/ hates Dream Theater because they are cheesy, which they are, but they are a damn fine band
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.