[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/hindustani/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: 1489517120292.png (237KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
1489517120292.png
237KB, 350x350px
listening to Ravi Shankar play some ragas and realizing I need much more traditional south asian music in my rotation. anyone know of some good entry points to various genres under this umbrella or good places to discover similar music? RYM is garbage obviously -- top charts there only represent a tiny handful of artists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9chNkmSzPSY
>>
>>74389247
>top charts there only represent a tiny handful of artists.
durr I wonder why

Ravi Shankar is the West's bridge to India. Assuming your interest is aesthetic (probable), you would do just fine listening to much of his output before branching out to Ali Akhbar Khan, Ghazal, Pran Nath, etc. If your interest is more academic (unlikely) there is a wealth of compilation / trad music anthro recordings you can look up.
http://www.allmusic.com/style/indian-classical-ma0000002638/albums

All Qawwali is garbage btw
>>
>>74389530
the handful of artists thing happens for basically every genre on RYM that pitchfork doesn't review. pretty quickly it becomes more of a barrier to discovery than a help.

do you think he's a good bridge? I'm really enjoying what i've heard so far. is it kind of like a john coltrane thing where everyone approaches jazz through him but he happens to be really fucking good?

if by "aesthetic" you mean i want to find albums for recreational listening then yes, though knowledge of the anthro side can enhance the aesthetic side too. don't find myself putting on e.g. smithsonian folkways recordings too often though. and thanks, i wrote down those 3.
>>
>>74389247
>>74389530
>>74389681
to expand on "durr I wonder why" because it actually is an important point

the guru-shishya system was integral to indian "classical" for much of its history and has only recently expanded- one master teaching one pupil at a time until the pupil becomes a master and takes on a protege of their own

this has limited the scope of indian classical due to proliferation being a fairly recent phenomenon

I'd actually recommend reading the wikipedia page and maybe a PDF or two if you're interested

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindustani_classical_music

>do you think he's a good bridge?
yes, but he's not the Lord and Savior or anything. he touches most of the bases and it's pretty easy to listen to album after album without getting bored

>s it kind of like a john coltrane thing where everyone approaches jazz through him but he happens to be really fucking good?
I guess, but Indian music in general is still "exotic" to the west which severely limits exposure- Ravi played a massive part in spreading this music to the West

you can also just search "hindustani classical music" on Google and a plethora of things pop up immediately
>>
>>74389821
I think another component of it is the fact that lots of RYMers feel the need to snatch up one or two token albums from a wide variety of genres to try to "cover the bases" culturally, and as a result you get a lot of people whose afrobeat collection is Expensive Shit, reggae collection is Super Ape, western minimalism is Music for 18 Musicians, that Divine Music From a Jail album, etc. it sucks.

Do you have a south asian background and/or study this stuff?
>>
File: 1488534379514.gif (1MB, 276x260px) Image search: [Google]
1488534379514.gif
1MB, 276x260px
>>74389530
>All Qawwali is garbage btw
take that back
>>
>>74390016
Yeah that sounds about right, part of why I stopped using RYM.

>Do you have a south asian background and/or study this stuff?
No, I just had a lot of spare time and would read about music as I explored it. Amazing to me how uncommon that seems to be here. Hope something I said helps. Make sure to differentiate between hindustani / carnatic music, carnatic is essentially conservative southern indian music less influenced by middle eastern cultures

>>74390082
dude babblemusic lmao
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.