[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/mu/'s opinion on Daniel Johnston

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: R-1277695-1205831634.jpeg.jpg (48KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
R-1277695-1205831634.jpeg.jpg
48KB, 600x600px
I just discovered his music, and I'm unsure of how to feel about a lot of it. As someone who struggled with depression for a few years, some of his feelings and raw emotions strike a chord within me, and I see him as an underappreciated genius. I'm curious as to what other people think...
>>
>>74374456
As musician, he's objectively shit. But there's something about him that always brings me back.
>>
It reminds me of Gummo.
>>
>>74374701
>As musician, he's objectively shit.

Why would you even feel it necessary to state this. Yes, he may be an objectively shit musician on purely technical terms, but there's so much more to art than technical proficiency. All of it more important, imo.

>>74374456
You see an artist you just discovered that has a lot of work you don't know how to feel about as an underappreciated genius?

I think he's pretty good. Not underappreciated, not necessarily a genius but definitely deserves what recognition he receives, probably more.

>>74374991
Me too.
>>
His best album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4Pvsk13RPk
>>
>>74375629
are you implying that technical proficiency isnt art?
>>
Kurt liked 'em, so they might be good.
>>
>>74374701
You're not the arbiter of shit. And being a musician doesn't provide any credibility to your opinion, Daniel Johnston is a musician.
>>
>>74374456
He's not a genius, and no one is or ever was.

As to those who say he's "objectively" shit: I used to say the same.

But really what DJ brings us is a new aesthetic and new way to re-evaluate our standards of objectively good songwriting.

What he gives us is unique, refreshing, and very impressive creativity in his work.

"Wild West Virginia" is one of my fave songs about West Virginia, but I know no one who knows it.

"Grievances" epitomizes his style and personality, with a line like "Goodbye little heart drawings, you never did work anyhow", which is adorable.
>>
>>74376547
No, I'm saying there's more to art than the skill required to create it. I think skill is irrelevant.

Jackson Pollock just whipped a brush around. Most hardcore punk musicians have no idea how to play an instrument. You couldn't count the amount of artists/musicians that are extremely skilled but make absolute shit.

Being technically proficient isn't art in itself.

But yes, I would say technical proficiency isn't art.
>>
>>74376571
>they
>>
puts me in a bad state of mind so i don't like listening to it a lot
>>
One of America's great songwriters, and a true artist. Underdiscovered underdog national treasure.
>>
>>74376834
What, like, depressed?
>>
>>74376949
yeah pretty much, i'll listen to him sometimes if im already depressed but if im feeling good his shit gets me feeling down
>>
I've only listened to Hi, How Are You, but I love it. I need to listen to the rest of his discography sometime.
>>
>>74374456
his song writing always evokes some sort of emotional reaction from me
>>
daniel johnston has some legitimately incredible songs, from both a songwriting and emotional perspective. those who say he's "so bad he's good" or that others like him because he's "bad" probably haven't listened to enough. not trying to be pretentious either. he's a legitimately beautiful soul, and while his guitar musicianship is seriously lacking, he has talent with the piano. pours his pain into the keys, love it
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.