[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do journalists only hate prog because they are too stupid to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5

File: prog white guys.png (1MB, 985x1013px) Image search: [Google]
prog white guys.png
1MB, 985x1013px
Do journalists only hate prog because they are too stupid to process longer songs, or is it their ego can't stand that the artists are smarter than them?
>>
Easy target.

It's been the music culture whipping boy since the 80s. No one is going to come to its defense in critic circles.
>>
>>74364813
I don't care but that's a cool illustration
>>
Prog is artistically retarded though. It's compositions are fundamentally reactionary traditionalism and lack the boundary pushing of various avant garde musical movements at the time of its inception. Technicality is for brainlets. Prog is the equivalent of an old fat baby boomer
>>
>>74364813
King Crimson, Yes, and Gentle Giant (and if they count, soft machine) are the only good prog bands, if they stay away from them I'm good
>>
They hate it because it's lacking black influence.

>>74364838
Like this retard said, "reactionary traditionalism", aka drawing influence from European classical/folk instead of African-American blues/jazz.
>>
>prog rock is the whitest genre ever
>not blue-eyed soul
>not the genre that was only done by white people
>not the genre that was a thing because niggers hated white people doing soul
>>
>artists are smarter than them
lol oooooooooooooookay, buddy
>>
How do I get into real prog?
I listened ITCOTCK and some Pink Floyd albums
>>
Combination of both. It's funny, because if critics are so smart and (supposedly) know what good music is, they'd be making it
>>
>>74364838
Get off of /mu/, Christgau.
>>
File: polka album.jpg (55KB, 450x477px) Image search: [Google]
polka album.jpg
55KB, 450x477px
>>74364813

>The Whitest Music Ever
>>
>>74365114
Critics are stupid as shit
>>
His argument rests on a crude mischaracterization:

>As a breed, the proggers were hook-averse, earworm-allergic; they disdained the tune, which is the infinitely precious sound of the universe rhyming with one’s own brain. What’s more, they showed no reverence before the sacred mystery of repetition, before its power as what the music critic Ben Ratliff called “the expansion of an idea.” Instead, like mad professors, they threw everything in there: the ideas, the complexity, the guitars with two necks, the groove-bedeviling tempo shifts.

It seems he hasn't listened to much prog. I mean you couldn't really say that stuff after listening to In the Court of the Crimson King for example.
>>
>>74365118
Ive always thought of Pink Floyd, listen to Three Friends by Gentle Giant, thats a good album
>>
>>74365118
gentle giant
then listen to henry cow and magma and forget everything else
>>
>>74365118
Listen to the other Crimson albums. Larks', Red, and Discipline are all very good.
>>
Remind me why music being "white" is bad, aside from the whole poppy watered down black music thing.
>>
>>74365118
Get into the Canterbury Scene. Listen to Soft Machine's Third and Caravan's In the Land of Grey and Pink
>>
>>74365217
Muh colonial ptsd
>>
>>74365217
White people have no culture, so you end up with a very bland and tasteless type of music.
>>
File: genesis-foxtrot.jpg (622KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
genesis-foxtrot.jpg
622KB, 1500x1500px
>>74365118
>>
>>74365217
because white people are lame dude. they're corny and boring and they don't season their food. haven't you ever read black twitter?
>>
>>74365252
I don't know if you're serious or not, but every group of people has "culture"
>>
niggaz gonna hate.
>>
File: b5d8662d.jpg (117KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
b5d8662d.jpg
117KB, 600x600px
Still trying to figure out why no one picked up on this brilliant album.
>>
>>74365217
white people arent "in" right now
>>
>>74365291
don't respond to bait
>>
>>74365118
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KMZGMh1Gec&t=382s
>>
>>74365291
What culture does white folk hav left? Being corny?
>>
Critics in the 70s didn't like prog because they thought it removed all the edginess and danger of rock-and-roll and turned it into a carnival show full of silly stage props and 20 minute songs about elves and medieval English history.
>>
>The Whitest Music Ever
is prog rock /ourgenre/?
>>
>>74364838
t. doesn't know about rock in opposition
>>
>>74365204
Indeed. He appears to have constructed himself a strawman around a handful of clichés in order to make the point that:

>all prog is bad
>therefore, everything other than prog is better than prog

And don't even get me started on the "whitest music ever" statement. To be honest, I don't quite understand what that is supposed to mean...
>>
Henry Cow, Robert Wyatt, and Hatfield and the North want a word with all of you. Fucking children, the lot of you.
>>
>>74365291
>>74365391
Consumerism is not culture, Americans
>>
Just read it. It's a rambling and wishy-washy article that boils down to "prog lacks hooks or a distinctive melody, Phil Collins > Peter Gabriel, fuck you". The headline has fuck all to do with anything.
>>
>>74364813
"music critics" critique social movements and demographiscs of listeners rather than actual music. people who listen to prog are too white, too male, and too middle-class. therefore the critics hate prog.
>>
>>74365817
Consumerism is Jewish, not white.
>>
>>74365817
OBSESSED
B
S
E
S
S
E
D
>>
>mars volta
>white
>>
>>74364813
>Do journalists only hate prog because they are too stupid to process longer songs, or is it their ego can't stand that the artists are smarter than them?
Yes.
>>
>>74366570
Their lead singer is and to most left leaning people nowadays even Hispanics are being considered white, look at George Zimmerman. So, the rest of the band would be considered white by them too.
>>
>be me
>listen to ITCOCK and CttE and become convinced that prog is the greatest genre of all time
>attempt to explore the genre for 2 months, only to find nothing is really worth it beyond the six or so most popular bands of the genre
>>
>>74365204

It's actually kind of baffling to be honest. Fragile, which is one of the most stereotypical 'go-to' examples of the kind of noodling classicism which the writer rails against in the article, has at least three hook-reliant, radio-friendly songs (Roundabout, We Have Heaven, Long Distance Runaround). To say that prog was earworm-averse is either overexaggeration or straight up lying. Also notice how conveniently the author totally avoids the most mainstream prog group in Pink Floyd to shore up this strawman.

>>74365061

I mean, I don't even get how this argument makes sense though. The author mentions Procol Harum in his article but A Salty Dog clearly has a bunch of blues influence.
>>
File: 45qcleeuzqay.jpg (62KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
45qcleeuzqay.jpg
62KB, 720x960px
>>74365205
>>74365211
>>74365212
>>74365240
>>74365265
>>74365369
Ok, more KC and this recs, got it
>>
>>74366711
Their lead singer is of Mexican descent (one of his grandparents is German, though). And I'm fairly sure that the band generally had at least one black musician at all times (mostly Ikey Owens).
>>
>>74367342
Omar is Puerto Rican, Cedric is Mexican
>>
>>74367342
Being Mexican automatically mean you're completely non-white. Cedric seems to have mostly northern Spanish ancestry, apparently Basque. Although he does have a big Mongoloid like head, so he probably has some Mexican Indian ancestry.
>>
>>74367405
Yeah, Cedric is Mexican-American, and he's the singer.
>>
>>74366512
"Blame the Jews" is consumerism in its purest form.
>>
>>74365272
savage xD
>>
>>74366718
That's the fun thing with prog. Since it has never been a very radio friendly or "marketable" genre, there was never really a hype machine around certain bands. As such, much more than in other genres, you'll find in prog that the big names are usually also the best.
>>
>>74365204
Pretty much this, i dont think he's listened to much prog
>>
>>74365204
> UGH where's the bangerz???? Why isn't it catchy xDDDDD

poptimists should be gassed
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.