[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Redpill me on The Beach Boys, /mu/. Who are these niggas? I only

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 9

Redpill me on The Beach Boys, /mu/. Who are these niggas? I only know Brian Wilson's name and I don't even know what his role was. It took some time but I finally love Pet Sounds. What do I listen to next? I tried Smile, but at the time didn't like it too much.
>>
>>74354383
>niggas
They're not for you.
>>
>>74354396
>black people can't enjoy The Beach Boys

That's racist, anon.
>>
>>74354383
Brian Wilson ain't even in that picture nigga. Listen to them more, read up on them some more, and come back when you're ready to make some quality discussion about the beach boys.
>>
File: brian-wilsonjpg.jpg (63KB, 1200x747px) Image search: [Google]
brian-wilsonjpg.jpg
63KB, 1200x747px
The beach boys started out as a pop rock band that was alright, then the 60's happend and brian convinced the rest of them they had to make some music that has some depth, and brian was the first musician that was his own producer which led him to be very experimental, he pretty much created the first art pop album if there were no pet sounds, there is no animal collective, no weezer. Brian also had lots of mental problems and turned into a fat recluse that only went out at night and hung out with other famous people in a group that was called the hollywood vampires, at this time he was also being held hostage by a therapist.

Listen to pet sounds and smile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSTJJKffsPI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR7_TbMIVnA
>>
>>74354521
So he joined the group later? I figured he had always been with them seeing as how he's always brought up when they're brought up.
>>
>>74354529
I said in the OP that I listened to Pet Sounds and Smile, but thanks for the rundown.
>>
>>74354383
overrated. people think they had great voices but the fact is they used autotune

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYc4DT18EJg
>>
>>74354383
Give the Smile Sessions another chance, shit is life changing.
>>
>>74354383
This is a basic rundown:
Started as a band with Brian, Carl and Dennis Wilson, their cousin Mike Love on vox and friend Al Jardine on guitar. Brian was bassist but was main songwriter, with Mike doing lyrics. Other than a brief while with Al replaced by David Marks this continued for most of the early 60s.
Later, Brian flexed his creative muscles, doing more in production and adding more instruments to the sound in the mid-60s. This was for the releases just before Pet Sounds. He started to play keyboards more now.
Pet Sounds' basic tracks was recorded solely by Brian without the rest of the band. The rest of the band toured with Bruce Johnston filling in for him, which is why he's not in the picture in OP. Brian used session musicians on the album, and so on most of the songs only him or no Beach Boys played instruments, a practice that would continue. When the Beach Boys got back they added their vocals to the album, including Bruce who was a member for most of their career from then on. Mike didn't write lyrics as much now, Brian instead working with other musicians,
Smile worked under a similar premise, with Brian working with session musicians, but the thing fell apart due to Brian's mental illnesses. This also meant he struggled to create music at the rate as before. As such the other members of the band began contributing more over the next releases. A Beach Boys song on these albums could be a piece made entirely by one member of the band on all isntruments, a group piece with the full or part of the band playing, a piece with session musicians with group vocals on top, etc. The leadership became spread at this point, all members contributing songs.
Brian eventually ended up with problems caused by his psychiatrist being an arsehole. As such his contributions became reduced as the years went on, to the point where he didn't contribute at all to Summer in Paradise. Also by this point, it was very much Mike Love who had control over the band. cont..
>>
File: Beach_Boys.jpg (2MB, 3140x3468px)
Beach_Boys.jpg
2MB, 3140x3468px
Brian himself said to listen to Love You after Pet Sounds. It's probably their most out there album next to Adult/Child if you count that. Smiley Smile, Surf's Up, Sunflower, and Friends are all great albums they released after Pet Sounds. Wild Honey is their best post PS album imo, Good pre-PS records from them are Today, Summer Days, All Summer Long, and Surfer Girl (especially the title track, one of their best). Listening to their albums chronologically also makes a lot of sense so you could see the sonic development of the band and Brian's musicianship. Give Smile another try some time, it's just as good as Pet Sounds. This flowchart is a pretty good introduction.
>>
>>74354744
Oh, before I go on, I forgot, there was one last Beach Boys album in 1977 called Love You that was Brian's work with the band's vocal on top. It was a weird album that polarises people.
Anyway, back to where we were, Mike's control got to the point where after Carl Wilson died (Dennis died in the 80s) he basically told everyone to fuck off (except Bruce) and that's the band since the late 90s, except when there was a reunion tour.
Oh, and Brian had a solo career that he sporadically recorded as instead of as a Beach Boy from the 80s onwards. It's what he mostly records as today.
>>
>>74354642
>>74354775
I'mma give Smile another chance after Love You, based off the song linked here: >>74354529 I'm already starting to warn up to it more.
>>
>>74354744
>>74354816
Wild. Are the Brian Wilson solo albums any good? And the albums were other members started to contribute more? Sorry for asking, I should probably come to my own conclusions, but I'm pretty interested now. Thank you.
>their cousin Mike Love on vox
What's a vox?
>>
>>74355055
vox=vocals
While the general consensus on the Beach Boys is that they lost it a bit after Pet Sounds, I'd really have to disagree. Most here will say Sunflower and Surf's Up are at least worth listening to. I'd say everything from Smiley Smile to Holland and also Love You are worth listening to if you're into that sort of stuff. Everything else is either tainted by the 80s/90s curse or by Mike Love's ego. Brian's solo albums are quite hit and miss, to a large extent due to bad choice of collaborators and/or production, though a lot seem to have their fans. I'd say his debut solo album from the 80s is worth checking out, and his version of Smile from 2004 is considered by some to be the definitive version.
>>
>>74355134
thanks again. I'm listening to Love You right now. I don't think I'm digging the synths, but I really like everything else.
>>
>finally listened to Pet Sounds the other day
>thought it was good but didn't really blow me away
Did I fuck up by waiting years to finally listen to it? I do want to give it another few listens though. Haven't listened to Smiley Smile yet.
>>
File: lGBfRrqMUVAEklK-800x800-noPad.jpg (28KB, 698x672px) Image search: [Google]
lGBfRrqMUVAEklK-800x800-noPad.jpg
28KB, 698x672px
>>74354529
at this time he was also being held hostage by a therapist.
>In the mid 1980s, Landy stated, "I influence all of [Brian]'s thinking. I'm practically a member of the band ... [We're] partners in life."[17]
>Between 1983 and 1986, Landy charged about $430,000 annually, forcing Wilson's family members to devote some publishing rights to his fee.[4] Landy received 25% of the copyright to all of Wilson's songs, regardless of whether he contributed to them or not,
>Wilson met his future wife and manager Melinda Ledbetter, a Cadillac saleswoman and former model, while browsing through a car dealership in 1986.[
>Three years into their relationship, Landy ordered Wilson to sever ties with Ledbetter.
>Peter Reum, a therapist who met Wilson while attending a Beach Boys fan convention in 1990, was alarmed by Wilson's demeanor, speculating that he may be suffering from tardive dyskinesia, a neurological condition brought on by prolonged usage of antipsychotic medication.
>] It was then discovered that Landy had been named as a chief beneficiary in a 1989 revision of Brian's will,[29] collecting 70%,

what the fuck.
>>
>>74354546
yes he joined the band after Brian Jones died
>>
>>74355500
>After the 1990s, Landy continued a psychotherapeutic practice with licensure in New Mexico and Hawaii up until his death. He died, aged 71, on March 22, 2006 in Honolulu, Hawaii,[4][37] of pneumonia while suffering from lung cancer.[34] When asked what his reaction to Landy's death had been, Wilson responded: "I was devastated."[38] In 2015, Wilson reflected, "I thought he was my friend, but he was a very fucked-up man,"[39] and also, "I still feel that there was benefit. I try to overlook the bad stuff, and be thankful for what he taught me."[40]

Well at least he's dead and Brian seemed to recover somewhat.
>>
>>74355378
Give it some. I felt the same way and now I love it, it's one of my favorite albums.
>>
>>74355626
It's still scary as fuck. I'm really shook.
>>
>>74354383
>It took some time but I finally love
Music is not like lifting weights.
>>
>>74355812
From what I can tell, I think I might actually prefer the earlier, more traditional surf rock phase of the Beach Boys. I really liked All Summer Long but I do plan on giving Pet Sounds another chance.
>>
>>74355864
listening to real music is an acquired taste therefore it requires practice you mongoloid
>>
>>74355831
Yeah, that's the majority of his life being a puppet to his therapist. That's insanity.
>>
>>74354529
>part of the hollywood vampires
wrong
>>
>>74354954
no, why would you start with Love You?
>>
>>74355134
Do you hang out on Smiley Smile at all?
>>
File: oneothese2.jpg (79KB, 600x530px) Image search: [Google]
oneothese2.jpg
79KB, 600x530px
>>74355921
>one day... i shall enjoy... music... so help me god!!!
>>
>>74354640
1/10 troll
>>
>>74354775
Chart is missing That's Why God Made the Radio. The closing suite is gorgeous, although the rest is nostalgia fueled grandpa stuff
>>
>>74356466
>>74354775
>Brian himself said to listen to Love You after Pet Sounds.
>>
>>74354744
>>74354529
>>74355500
>>74355626
>>74355831
>>74356352
Landy did some pretty fucked up shit, but ultimately he probably saved Brian's life. Brian would have kept ballooning up past 400 pounds and would have met some tragic end.
>>
>>74354383
>I tried Smile, but at the time didn't like it too much.
Smile is pretty difficult to get into. You have to remember is an unfinished album that Brian went back to some thirty years after originally recording it. though Brian himself said it's "not a far cry" from what he was trying to do in the 60s, I have my doubts. He was doing some crazy amounts of LSD at the time and "completely tore [his] head off". I'd recommend the Beach Boys Today! as the next step after Pet Sounds, then Wild Honey and the rest of the discography linearly.
>>
File: 2vj6gqw.jpg (93KB, 1227x832px) Image search: [Google]
2vj6gqw.jpg
93KB, 1227x832px
>>74356670
>listening to Bwps, not Smile sessions
>>
For some reason I always thought they did the original version of Winter Wonderland.

Apparently not.
>>
>>74354485
>implying black people use this godawful site
Only edgy white kids from the suburbs come here
>>
>>74356869
I'm not white or from the suburbs.
>>
>>74354383
Listen to their early stuff. They devolved from based surf rock to pop bullshit.
>>
>based surf rock
>>
Which ones in the photo is Glenn Campbell and Daryl Dragon?
>>
File: christgau4.jpg (24KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
christgau4.jpg
24KB, 300x225px
The Beach Boys Love You [Brother/Reprise, 1977]

Painfully crackpot and painfully sung, but also inspired, not least because it calls forth forbidden emotions. For a surrogate teenager to bare his growing pains so guilelessly was exciting, or at least charming; for an avowed adult to expose an almost childish naivete is embarrassing, but also cathartic; and for a rock and roll hero to compose a verbally and musically irresistible paean to Johnny Carson is an act of shamanism pure and simple. As with Wild Honey, the music sounds wrong in contradictory ways at first--both arty and cute, spare and smarmy--but on almost every cut it comes together soon enough; I am especially partial to the organ textures, and I find the absurd little astrology ditty, "Solar System," impossible to shake. As for the words, well, they're often pretty silly, but even (especially) when they're designed to appeal to whatever Brian imagines to be the rock audience they reveal a lot more about the artist than most lyrics do. And this artist is a very interesting case. A

The Beach Boys [Caribou, 1985]

What would you say if the Four Lads got back together and covered songs by Boy George and Stevie Wonder? Betcha they still harmonize pretty good too. C

Everything Rocks and Nothing Ever Dies [1990s]
>>
Love You was kind of the last album where they were still trying to be a contemporary music act instead of dadrock. Too bad it hardly sold anything but then everyone in 1977 was on punk rock. Nobody gave a flying fuck about the Beach Boys by that point.
>>
>>74358450
Those 80s-90s albums were bad, although the production was probably one reason for it. Live versions of songs from the S/T and Still Cruisin' aren't bad and fit just fine with their older material.
>>
>>74355378
this was me

listening to pet sounds expecting sgt. pepper is the wrong way to do it
>>
File: SunflowerCover.jpg (111KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
SunflowerCover.jpg
111KB, 300x300px
listen to this nigga
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO_LX-m74uw
>>
File: love.jpg (15KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
love.jpg
15KB, 480x360px
>>74354383
start with summer in paradise
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.