[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What makes something post-punk?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 7

File: plees.jpg (53KB, 665x400px) Image search: [Google]
plees.jpg
53KB, 665x400px
What makes something post-punk?
>>
if it's shit and gay music
>>
It's like punk but longer
>>
if it makes you feel WEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
It's like punk but with an emo atitude
>>
Punk made by people with chronic fatigue
>>
its after punk
>>
Dracula's teenaged son vocals
>>
>>74354052
POST PUNK IS ABOUT FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLIIIING
>>
Is Joy Division even "post punk?" I thought that was more applicable to semi-radio friendly shit from the mid to late 80's like The Smiths, not stuff that makes you want to blow your brains out.
>>
It's punk but good.
>>
dumb-sounding dub bass line + mechanical, grating drums + shallow, self-indulgent melancholy - musical talent - fun = post-punk
>>
The original punk music had a very rigid structure you followed or you were a poser bitch.
Post punk is more experimental, let loose.

From this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02D2T3wGCYg

To this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQtO6R4qkg0

Dont let anyone tell you johnny rotten didnt have any talent
>>
>>74354117
The Smiths have like...maybe three songs you could call post-punk. And really, the stuff that "makes you want to blow your brains out" is more likely to be post-punk than anything Morrissey or even Robert Smith would churn out.
>>
>>74354060
>>74354082
Wrong
>>
post-punk is better described as scene rather than a specific sound.
>>
>>74354377
Winner. Post-punk was a bunch of different sounds. Post-punk revival is probably what you're more familiar with, and only hit on a few of those sounds. But if you want a general, vague idea of post-punk, you want to look for a strong emphasis on rhythm over melody in the guitars and emphatic/emotional vocal delivery.
>>
File: IMG_5010.jpg (39KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5010.jpg
39KB, 220x220px
>>74354117
>>74354006
The Smiths aren't post punk. JD aren't post punk.

This is post punk.
>>
>>74354760
>emphatic/emotional vocal delivery
Gonna have to disagree with you on that one

>>74354791
JD is post punk, there are many different variations of post punk that are equally as valid
>>
>>74354827
Even someone like Ian Curtis had an emotional delivery, it's just that the emotion isn't explicit. People like to use the term apathetic to describe him, but I think anyone who hears him as such is missing the point.
>>
Punk music was for people who got bored of 70s prog and LE MUSIQUE attitude the era had, so they invented a genre where with little to no experience you could form a band, be angry at the establishment and sell out at the same time

Post-punk tried to make punk music complex. Not necessarily experimental, though. So that's why hardcore punk is not considered post-punk (and there's even the post-hardcore genre)

>>74354791
JD is post-punk. It's punk music played with a different feel to it

tl;dr
post-punk is punk music for pretentious people, also it's an umbrella term so it's not really useful

Better leave the OP question aside and answer this. Was Television post-punk?
>>
>>74354930
I know he has emotional delivery but that isn't characteristic of all post punk. I knew you only know joy division
>>
>>74355653
I was just using them as an example because they're well known, do you wanna give me some non-emotional post-punk?
>>
>>74355872
Even your biggest post punk bands like pil, the fall and the pop group are obviously not characteristically emotional. Do you not know post punk?
>>
I always think of it as having angles.

And it's cold...

There, I'm sure that's helpful.
>>
>>74356060
>Mark Smith
>not emotional
Okay, I think we just define the word in different ways but if arguing with and patronizing strangers on the internet helps you to feel superior and intelligent then keep going
>>
>>74356160
You think Mark E Smith is emotional? What? He's monotone and deadpan as, like, a fucking rule
>>
>>74356160
Mark's not emotional mate. I think you're defining emotion as anything more than just talking as if it was a quiet conversation which again isn't characteristic of post punk seen as the vast majority of music with vocals is like that
>>
>>74354006
Replace vomit with keyboards: post-punk.
>>
If it feels art anon, it's art
>>
>>74355221
>Was Television post-punk?

what are electric eels? chrome? post-punk is just a revival of proto-punk tbqh

punk was really just kids taking the outsider attitude of weird art-pop proto-punk and distilling it into something aggressively simple and most importantly pop.

there wasn't anything original about post-punk, the only difference was it comprised of people who knew how to write pop songs from their punk days. and so joy division shirts are now ubiquitous
>>
>>74354006
something is post punk if the artist was influenced by the velvet underground but didnt release anything until after the ramones released their first album.
>>
>>74354006
repetitive guitar riff melodies but less annoying than typical punk rock
>>
Usually more reverb, has the jokey/serious robot voice of the 80's that kind of just talks at you instead of sings. Not as angry sounding at face value.
>>
like grunge punk pop
>>
>>74354006
They actually talked the talk
>>
punk made by art school students who listened to entry level krautrock and dub.
>>
>>74354006
Take some of the mechanics from Punk rock like tribalistic drumming, prominent bass lines, lack of chorus, and repetitive riffs and then experiment and introduce new elements like keyboards, varying instruments, new time signatures, and other levels of experimentation and you get Post-Punk. Post-Punk is less politics and more concept (Joy Division, The Cure, The Pop Group, early New Order) or if it does have politics then it isn't as confrontational and explores addition themes (Gang of Four.) Post-Punk isn't just a genre but also a genre and a scene that invented other genres. These include:
Goth Rock (you posted one of the flagship bands in the OP)
Deathrock
Dark Wave
New Wave
Cold Wave
Ethereal Wave
No Wave
Neo-Psychedelia
Alternative Rock
Indie Rock
Industrial
Dreampop
Shoegaze
Noise Rock
And some other shit. Everyone from REM to Trent Reznor to My Bloody Valentine to even fucking Mumford and Sons is here at least in part because of it.
>>
>>74354060
That's Emo, retard. Emo came from Post-Hardcore (Punk Rock subgenre) as Emotive Hardcore, it's its own thing.
>>
>>74355221
>Post-punk tried to make punk music complex. Not necessarily experimental, though.
You got it backwards bub.
>>
>>74354006
It's RYM genre tag says "post-punk"
>>
>>74360176
yeah this

general themes are anxiety, hopelessness, discontent, satirizing society

sikk basslines
sparse sometimes angular guitar
either really punchy or really muted drum sound
16th hi-hats are common
atmospheric synths
experimentation
>>
>>74354006
It's punk but more depressive
>>
>>74360339
oh and I forgot lots of tom-heavy drum lines, 4/4 drum beats arent that common during the first wave (like 1977 - 1982/3)

2nd wave was more straightforward and melodic, retaining the lyrical themes & basslines, less experimental with more standard drum & guitar parts
>>
>>74356955
so belle and sebastian is post punk, hmm really makes you think
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad4n8Vayuqs
This is pretty much punk and any other term used to describe it is useless and dishonest, same goes for the majority of "post-punk" bands (the ones that don't count as punk are either synthpop, goth rock, pop rock or any non-classic rock formula that was sloppily put under a fancy term).
I hate how rock music has so many unnecessary or plain wrong labels attached to it, like it was done on purpose in order to satisfy some egomaniacs need for self differentiation.
>>
>>74354006
Like punk but after it.
>>
post-punk doesn't exist.
>>
punk but good
>>
>>74354127
nice.
coming from a post-punk fan.
>>
>>74361487
For a "fan" you don't know shit
>>
>>74354760
post-punk revival is a much more substanceless claim to a genre, but noone ever really calls that out.
>>
File: 2vFK01H.jpg (87KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
2vFK01H.jpg
87KB, 640x480px
>>74361498
mean
>>
>>74360193
Crying about mental illnesses you don't have doesn't constitute it being it's own fucking retard
>>
>>74354127
fun-sounding dub bass line + dancy, cool drums + deep, emotive melancholy + musical talent + fun = post-punk
>>
U2 was never post-punk
>>
>>74362200
more like post-good.
>>
>>74362200
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifhgIWU2Ols
>>
File: vs.jpg (29KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
vs.jpg
29KB, 300x300px
Mission of Burma was the best post-punk band. better than Joy Division, Wire, Bauhaus and all that other gay shit, prove me wrong. Pro-tip; you can't.
>>
>>74363196
closer is better than anything those shitters released.
>>
>>74363250
lol XD I'm ashamed of the things I've been put through xdxd I'm ebin ashamed of the person I am xD much isolation so deep wow xd
>>
File: 1484385884260.jpg (26KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1484385884260.jpg
26KB, 500x375px
>>74363281
sick criticisms my man.
>>
File: 1475726634042.jpg (72KB, 323x323px) Image search: [Google]
1475726634042.jpg
72KB, 323x323px
>>74363483
think about it like this: if Ian Curtis was such a great songwriter then why hasn't he written a decent tune since fucking 1980? because he's a talentless hack, that's why.
>>
>>74363546
that's actually decently funny. you're ok.
>>
when u get sex pistols on the mail thats post punk
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.