[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Prog Rock: the whitest music ever

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 139
Thread images: 16

File: lead_960.jpg?1500930108.jpg (221KB, 960x889px) Image search: [Google]
lead_960.jpg?1500930108.jpg
221KB, 960x889px
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/09/the-whitest-music-ever/534174/

>Put like that, it does sound rather tasty. Prog as a wild chamber of experimentation, a sci-fi trespass across the limits of popular music, driving clear of fashion and orbiting the Earth forever. Awesome. The problem comes, for me, when I actually listen to the stuff. Is it not a form of aesthetic dissipation to praise something for its ambition and its bold idiosyncrasy when that something is, objectively speaking, crap? I think it might be.

is he right?
>>
No, of course not.
>>
>>74349298
what do you like about prog?
>>
>a wild chamber of experimentation, a sci-fi trespass across the limits of popular music, driving clear of fashion and orbiting the Earth forever
magma would fit this description perfectly, but the guy said he hates them
>>
I really don't get what people have against prog, honestly, and why is it treated almost like an antichrist of rock. It is almost as if bebop was shunned rather than developed by blues artists - most of jazz developed on top of bebop, and even getting "back to simplicity" with modal jazz was achieved by developing the knowledge of theory more.
>>
>>74349705
it sounds like the guy in the article exclusively hates it because he can't dance to it
>>
>>74349753
Wouldn't surprise me if he was a fan of Christgau or perhaps a relative of his.
>>
>>74349268
expect "x-LISTNERS" ARE DEAD articles soon
(with which ever music type that's "white")
>>
>>74349886
yeah, the whole time I was wondering what he thought of free jazz or jazz fusion, if they're 'white' genres too
>>
hip-hop made by white people is the whitest genre
>>
>>74349924
For a serious response:
I'd say it's the lad mentality. The exact opposite of what people took John Lydon for. The people who hung out in pubs, wanted to have a nice chat and a drink with their mates, with background music reminding them of their youths, while on a short break from family troubles. Not something prog would be appropriate for by any stretch of imagination.
>>
>>74349980
oh definitely. and also seemingly some kind of bitterness that punk hasn't held up as well as prog?
>>
>>74350061
No, definitely not. People who aren't fans of anything slightly above hard rock and blues rock are also fans of punk in most cases and perhaps think it held up rather well.
>>
Prog can be extremely white, but it doesn't have to be
Indie will always be the whitest genre
>>
>>74350142
Whats wrong with being white tho?
>>
>>74350210
Musically speaking white means lame
>>
what does whiteness have to do with it? also its not, a lot of good prog incorporates world music influences

i think this person just listened to some rubbish like ELP and late Yes and assumed all prog was that

i dont even really like prog, this persons very
>>
>>74349268
Prog was and remains the most surefire pleb filter there is.
>>
>>74350210
Asking the real questions here. And oh, boy, here we go:
>>74350230
>>
>>74350232
dumb
>>
>>74350230
Why would white mean lame, though? I genuinely find it very interesting that it has gotten that meaning.
>>
>>74350248
t. white nerd on 4chan
>>
Whites are intrinsically better than other peoples.
>>
>>74350252
It doesn't you're just getting baited, modern music is equal parts black and white
>>
>>74350252
cause white bois can't dance
>>
>>74350243
>>74350252
"white" music = stiff, dorky and conservative

"black" music = playful and experimental
>>
It looks like our friends from /pol/ have arrived.
>>
>>74350293
What's with those stereotypes you yourself know are ridiculous?
>>
>>74349268
>implying non whites are smart enough to write and perform prog
>>
>>74350293
this is only partially true I think youre distorting things so you have something to get angry about

white influence on pop=complex melody and lyricism
black influence=complex rhythm and a willingness to experiment
>>
>>74350325
thats racist dude
>>
>>74350344
>I think youre distorting things so you have something to get angry about

4chan.
>>
I like people of all colors
>>
>>74350325
>what is The Mars Volta
>>
>>74349268
Classical is the peak of whiteness in music.
>>
>>74350400
the mars volta also suck
>>
I think music critics dislike prog because of its very reactionary approach to composition. The article is right in that prog downplayed or divorced the blues influence in rock, but more importantly I think it looked toward neoclassicism - adhering to a very systematic method of creating music. This is in contrast with the avant-garde movement going on at the time with composers like Xenakis and early industrial acts like Throbbing Gristle, which rejected these old compositional systems in favor of abstract experimentation. Because of this, prog is seen as not breaking musical ground in the best case, and actively regressive in the worst.

Personally I tend to agree. Lots of prog revolves around meaningless wankery. I like some bands that incorporate other genres though, like Soft Machine (jazz) and maudlin of the well (metal).
>>
Prog rock is fucking lame nerd fascist music
>>
>>74350418
tl;dr the article emphasizes race a bit much, imo. It's an important factor, but the rifts occurring in 'white', 'art' music at the time were just as important.
>>
This article was disappointing and didn't really make any kind of point beyond expressing that prog is bad because pretension.
This is really just a clickbait article designed to get prog fans fired up and make anti-prog people make fun of prog. The Atlantic should be ashamed.
>>
The type of punk the author listens to is much whiter than prog.
If he'd discover experimental punk and post-punk he would start writing articles about cultural appropriation
>>
the author seems to hate prog because it's a genre of rock that wouldn't be used to soundtrack Henry Rollins weightlifting
>>
>>74349268
which band is supposed to be this drawing??
>>
>muh complicated melodies
>muh fantasy lyrics
The fact that only ugly people like Prog says a lot about the quality of this music tho
>>
>>74350230
Absolutely this, and indie and tweet are far more white than prof.

Rock is supposed to be black, even when white people make it, it should have a groovy blackness to it.
>>
>>74350406
nah i think that's nerdcore hiphop
>>
>>74350500
yeah the 'white' tag is explicitly there for clickbait. the author could have gotten his point across without using that word
>>
File: lel.png (44KB, 334x375px) Image search: [Google]
lel.png
44KB, 334x375px
fucking kek
>>
>>74350413
they are also considered one of the worst live bands ever
>>
>>74350325
>Who is John Coltrane
>>
http://www.salon.com/2017/05/29/against-sgt-pepper-the-beatles-classic-made-pop-seem-male-nerdy-and-important-and-that-wasnt-a-good-thing/

white men are scum

also so are men i deem problematic even if they are queer and black because don't conform to my notions of who should be allowed into "the community":
http://www.highsnobiety.com/2017/07/11/tyler-the-creator-queer-culture/
>>
>>74349298
>>74349345
>>74349705
>>74349753
People don't like prog because it doesn't rock. This song rocks, just so you get what I'm saying:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDwotNLyz10
Some prog does rock, of course
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBAauFYod80

but most does not
>>
>>74353226
Most Prog rocks harder than actual Rock - just take the original Prog Song:
https://youtu.be/GkNumV2ZyQ4
>>
I dont really get why hipsters get a hard on an bash prog rock music. Its not like its popular anymore, it hasnt been since the 70's when punk came up from behind and shanked that bitch nigga.

It okay sjw's, the ebil white man music cant hurt you.
>>
it's just me or there is a solid group of anti-prog wankers who prefer chat shit about a dead genre instead listen to something else
>>
File: gentle giant.jpg (129KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
gentle giant.jpg
129KB, 800x450px
I kind of agree with the article, and I like a lot of prog. Redneck, outlaw country and southern rock have heart and soul, and they're pretty damned white. Prog is something else and can get really fucking goofy. Sorry, if you're a Gentle Giant fan, but I just can't get into shit like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM-yGcpaY_4
>>
More white = more intelligent
>>
>>74350252
imagine you with a jazz cigarette listening to that cool jazz and some jive ass white boy walks in with rainbow suspenders and starts snapping his fingers off beat and says he loves "colored music"
>>
>>74353280
Steven Wilson has been really popular in the last years
>>
File: rAE4w3u.jpg (645KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
rAE4w3u.jpg
645KB, 1080x1920px
ITT:
>>
File: eed.jpg (9KB, 600x457px) Image search: [Google]
eed.jpg
9KB, 600x457px
>>74353373
Prog is over hated by liberal yuppie music journalists because it is white, and the journalists are self flagellating masochist lib cucks.

Prog was pretentious, but a lot of the music was good. And that wont be acknowledged because of the lib cucks that run the industry.
Prog was basically born because of the advance of music production at the time, and musicians taking production into their own hands. It was a purely European genre too. Most of the big prog bands are British.
Prog was never huge in america, although americans did appreciate their skill.
The real reason prog sucks and hit a wall was because songs with 30 min solos about hobbits are going to get old after a while, and prog was more of an upperclass thing.
The lib journalists have no class consciousness, they always want to make it a race thing. Punk came from behind and killed prog, but punk was a lowerclass white thing, and it was the only political music in the 70's, when there was economic stagnation and oil crisis's.

A lot of the criticism of prog is valid, but its over hated by fag journalists, and why. Its not like its even a relevant genre anymore.

I mean rock music itself seems like its been on a downturn, yet music journalists still trot out prog rock to be all "ha ha, you aspired to be more than just shitty party music for teens, how white of you"
>>
File: communism liberlism.jpg (238KB, 858x960px) Image search: [Google]
communism liberlism.jpg
238KB, 858x960px
>>74353532
>>
>>74353516
Kek
>>
File: rick_wakeman.jpg (14KB, 190x190px) Image search: [Google]
rick_wakeman.jpg
14KB, 190x190px
>>74353550
>prog sucks and hit a wall was because songs with 30 min solos about hobbits are going to get old after a while
lol. Yeah.
>mfw I own four of Richard Wakeman's early solo ablums on vinyl
It's fun to see peoples' reactions at a get together.
>>
>>74349268
Wow, punk did the right thing in replacing prog rock? Was this article written to commemorate the fortieth anniversary of this opinion? So controversial.
>>
>>74349705
This guy sort of already said it in a roundabout way (no pun intended), but I get the impression that the hate for prog and similar genres primarily stems from classist perceptions, which, of course, overlap pretty heavily with race. After punk, and especially after the hip hop/alt-rock revolutions in the 90s, music that displayed large amounts of technical skill was discarded as artistically vapid wankery for the upper classes. Music that required less skill was seen as the "art of the masses", and technical genres were seen as pretentious nonsense (the upper classes having more disposable time/income to spend purchasing high-end equipment, learning theory, practicing, etc.). This perception is sort of confirmed when you look at the big prog bands, almost all of whom were upper-class white Brits. This also kind of explains the recent industry push behind artists like Young Thug and Lil Uzi Vert who do little more than mumble and verbalize unintelligibly over trap beats; writers feel obligated to grant artistic credence to "low-skill" music because, to them, it represents the artistic efforts of the working classes. Meanwhile, prog(/math rock/post-rock/metal/jazz etc.) musicians are seen as a bunch of privileged white preps jerking off over their own technical proficiency while ignore the plight of the lower class.
>>
No he's just mad I'm going to cum in all PROGRESSIVE'S wives
>>
>>74354197
A lot of prog was dystopian though. Pink floyd has a lot of political songs, and roger waters is even trolling the jews about Israel today.

You are pretty much explaining what happened to shoegaze, shoegze was big for a while then people realized it was upperclass wankery and kevin shields was a faggot and grunge superseded it till the brits had a meeting and put together britpop
>>
>>74350418
>Lots of prog revolves around meaningless wankery
Literally name one(1) song.
>>
>>74353226
Kashmir is the worst fucking Zeppelin song. It's eight minutes of garbage
>>
So are you saying that nigs hate prog? Interesting, might have to start listening to it more often.
>>
>>74354414
I'm aware that a lot of prog discussed class issues, but most people failed to look beyond the basic musical qualities to the lyrics. They just saw rich white dudes playing twenty keyboards.
Shoegaze was sort of the same thing, with more of an emphasis on equipment than skill.
>>
>>74354414
>Pink floyd
They weren't prog. They made conceptual albums.
>>
>>74354476
Nah, blacks seen to use it more than self-flaggelating whites. Madlib sampled Gentle Giant (Funny Ways), Busdriver sampled Yes (Close to the Edge), Kanye West sampled King Crimson (21st Century Schizoid Man).
>>
It's not that it's white, it's just tasteless. Making elaborate and expensive but tasteless art is a side-effect of bourgeoise decadence and so of whiteness.

Whatever you could complain about prog rock for, you couldn't complain about traditionalist folk music for, but the people playing that are also equally white.
>>
>>74354588
Define tasteless.
>>
Too bad he didnt listen to any of The Alan Parsons Project
>>
>progfags think people want to listen to 30 minutes of wank
Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, verse, bridge , chorus and fadeout

Why is this so hard for progfags to understand?
>>
>>74354656
Some people do though?
No prog fan expects it to be popular
>>
>>74354197
Ironically prog and other technical music are what the masses actually like and only stuck up Ivy League 1%ers like generic pitchfork "atmospheric rock" band #19494
>>
Can any show me the most pretentious, wankiest prog rock song you can find?
>>
>>74354698
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTEFKFiXSx4
>>
>>74354698
Not sure if prog, but Phish is the wankiest, annoying band I've ever heard.
>>
>>74354698
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzCVrD53cU0
>>
>>74354588
This is some SHIT bait
>>
>>74354740
phish is a jam band, thats the point, they jam
>>
>>74354588
folk music has always been political you plebe fuck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oday_Fc-Gc
>>
>>74349268
Anybody into Henry Cow? https://youtu.be/lmji113JJD4
>>
>>74350418

Had me until you mentioned motW.

maudlin of the Well makes spacy Death Metal and puts soft indie rock interludes into it, and has some minor jazz inflections. I like band but if you wanted to make your bait authentic you should have at least used Kayo Dot.
>>
>>74354740
Listening to a Phish stream right now. I get why people hate them, depends on if you're into improvisational music or not. Half the fun is listening to each guy and figuring out what their role is within the jam and following it as it advances and progresses.
>>
Music can be white just like music can be latin or asian. You ever hear latin or asian music you knwo what it sounds like.

Asian: like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdzoCmpdjAw
Latin: like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHkvmPOfjuM

White: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kemivUKb4f4
>>
>>74354862
Phish is more jam band prog rock has more of a genesis from classical
>>
>>74354838
Pleb
>>
I have never, ever heard a prog rock song in my life

What are the genre's defining characteristics and where do I start with it
>>
Prog would be pretty much the best genre ever if it only focused on the autistic devotion to complex structures, fresh ideas, and unique concepts. It's the wank and solos that kill it. This is why progressive pop and art pop are the actual best genres.
>>
i like prog but ive never met a black person that likes it
in the same way ive never met a white person (that wasn't a tryhard) that liked skatalites
>>
a lot of the criticism from liberal music journalists is that its bad because its white (they are lib cucks after all). But the reality is that it was bad because it was upperclass. American liberals have seemed to completely wipe their minds of class issues after the fall of the soviet union.
>>
File: MARTRSICSIODA.jpg (69KB, 750x667px) Image search: [Google]
MARTRSICSIODA.jpg
69KB, 750x667px
>>74349268
Why the need for this article now in 2017?

It's not even accurate. The deeper you dig into either punk or prog, the more crossover you find. He's literally just repeating memes.
>>
>>74355486
Kanye literally sampled king crimson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfef5WqC85A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkNumV2ZyQ4
>>
>>74350413
>>74353057
what are you fuckin gay?
>>
>>74353452
Gentle Giant fucking sucks.
>>
>>74355578
https://youtu.be/jL71g6lkE4g
>>
>>74355631
Hipsters have always been fond of ITCOTCK. It's the exception.

>>74349705
It's not intersectional enough.
>>
My fav albums are itcotck and blonde guess my height anons
>>
File: HOLY FUCKING PLEB.png (131KB, 853x883px) Image search: [Google]
HOLY FUCKING PLEB.png
131KB, 853x883px
how can someone be this immensely stupid, /b/ros?
>>
>>74349268
This thread cures my cancer. Lets keep it going lads
>>
File: 1497586557338.gif (1MB, 195x229px) Image search: [Google]
1497586557338.gif
1MB, 195x229px
>tfw black and haven't listened to much prog rock at all but fucking love a shit ton of "white" music

literally what the fuck am i supposed to do

why am i as a black dude not allowed to listen to rock music
>>
File: randomAsianGuy.jpg (39KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
randomAsianGuy.jpg
39KB, 480x360px
>>74349268
Olive-brown person here. Love me some prog rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqMfWwnLtKg
>>
>>74355900
Hate the media for telling society what you should like
>>
>>74355945
man i thought this shit had been dying down

i've always preferred rock music over any other genre. why do supposedly 'educated' white liberals like this perpetuate this kind of bullshit?
>>
>>74349268
Are there any black prog rock bands? I guess that it would be reclassified as funk, Parlament/Funkadelic seems like a good example of this.
>>
>>74354197
i never understood why people want to listen to some black guy mumble over some shitty ipad beat when they can listen to actual skilled musicians. i seriously think liberalism has hijacked music and brainwashed music fans into listening to shit they dont actually want to listen to just to support their arrogant political narrative that there is some kind of hidden societal greatness in lower class minorities.
>>
>>74355900
Learn how to play guitar, anon. Git gud, play a few gigs, make a few good songs, and get noticed. Once a black person becomes a new face of rock, the stereotype would be shattered and give rock much needed attention.
>>
File: volta.jpg (57KB, 750x498px) Image search: [Google]
volta.jpg
57KB, 750x498px
>>74356016
the mars volta was literally latino and black and made songs in Spanish. P4k still hated them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg6svO2AQHw

GEORG W HIPSTER DOESNT LIKE PROG PEOPLE
>>
>>74356120
this is literally exactly what i want to do

i really feel like if i put some time into it, i can probably produce something really nice
>>
>>74356016
Closest I can think of is... Animals as Leaders, but that isn't really it. The Mars Volta always was sort of 1/4th black in that weird mixture that it was, but again, that isn't really it.
>>
>>74356143
also forgot: it's been my dream to produce that one indie album that became an influential hidden gem or something
>>
>>74356123
liberals dont like it when minorities do as white people do. they are uncle toms or whatever.
>>
>>74356123
>>74356200
Where to start with The Mars Volta?
>>
>>74355900

I guess even liberals who are consciously for integration and free choice are still unconsciously affected by the remnants of de jure American cultural segregation, so their good intentions become warped into a kneejerk 'fuck white music' as opposed to conservative's kneejerk 'fuck black music'.
>>
>>74356217
I never got this. just as an example, libs put "blackness" on a pedestal and then treat any black person who does not aspire to that level of "blackness" like fucking garbage

like, are they not black?
>>
>>74356227
De-loused in the Comatorium is a pretty good start, but I prefer Frances the Mute, where they pretty much go full prog. That said, Frances the Mute is definitely something you have to be ready for - the first song ends with 5 minutes of field recordings, there are impromptu changes into salsa, and the last song lasts for 32 minutes, nearly taking up half the album (the other 4 tracks together take up over 40 minutes). De-loused introduces their style well enough without going way overboard. If there's a comparison, De-loused is Fragile while Frances is Close to the Edge.
>>
File: blacked1.png (1MB, 997x839px) Image search: [Google]
blacked1.png
1MB, 997x839px
>>74356217
>>74356277
I once heard a theory that libs are actually closeted racist. Since they always put a stereotype to a race and try to defend that race like if it's some "wild that thats in it's nature". Reverse racist, or whatever term you'll call it. If you truly pay attention and think about it, It's subtle as fuck.
>>
>>74356143
>>74356202
That's great anon. I too am gonna start to learn guitar soon, just college is bogging my time and enthusiasm down.

Follow your dreams, anon.
>>
>>74356202
Shit, man, where do you live? I'm Latino and (not to brag) a pretty good bass player.
>>
>>74356308
Thanks, man.

>>74356360
Yeah, I'm starting to see it and it's annoying as fuck. Like the dude who tells you they're SO cool with black people and shit, then when you get into their car, they don't play anything but RnB music because you think you won't like any of the shit they normally play. God, I fucking hate that shit.
>>
>>74356398
thanks, anon

you too

>>74356424
i'm in orlando
>>
File: blacked2.png (19KB, 463x167px) Image search: [Google]
blacked2.png
19KB, 463x167px
>>74356360
>>
File: blacked3.png (20KB, 471x181px) Image search: [Google]
blacked3.png
20KB, 471x181px
>>74356453
>>
>>74356447
Ah, crap, I'm in New Hampshire. Oh well, wish you luck, I bet you ca
n create something great.
>>
>>74356360
Some of them definitely are. Same things with girls fantasizing about only black guys.
>>
>>74356478
thanks. not gonna lie, i still need to even learn how to play but i've dabbled a bit in playing some guitar here and there, as well as the drums, and i do have a pretty creative mind, so in the coming years, we'll see

anyway, i'm sure you'll do great things too, anon. godspeed
>>
>>74356483
>Same things with girls fantasizing about only black guys.
don't even get me started on this bullshit right here

those girls don't even want a 'normal' black guy. they ALWAYS want big, strapping athletes and shit who are always really above-average in penis size. bonus points if they're also thuggish

fuck those girls, they're racist as shit too
>>
>>74355814
TFTO is a true pleb filter.
>>
>>74354689
lmao what? yeah most people have heard a floyd song or two, but saying prog is "music of the masses" is just plain delusional and out of touch
>>
>>74354197
Is this a joke or are there really people that think this way?
>>
>>74355168
Honestly just listen to 2112.
>>
>>74350061
>seemingly some kind of bitterness that punk hasn't held up as well as prog?
Bit of a projection there mate
>>
>>74354414
It's not really technical wankery though is it, definetly not classical in it's approach like prog, it's basically punk with effect pedals
Thread posts: 139
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.