[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is he actually good or is it just a meme?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 5

File: rs-197621-84894709.jpg (51KB, 700x394px) Image search: [Google]
rs-197621-84894709.jpg
51KB, 700x394px
Is he actually good or is it just a meme?
>>
>>74340680
literally who
>>
>>74340680
decide for yourself
>>
>>74340680
He's really fucking good, but to really tell, you need to listen to his live stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKvnQYFhGCc
>>
>>74340714
>He's really fucking good
Hows middle-school?
>>
>>74340680
I mean he was a talented guy. But i think he died too early. He wasn't really able to blossom if that makes sense.
>>
He's a left handed nigger. That should be enough to know.
>>
Voodoo child is amazing what the fuck are you talking about.
Also hey Joe
>>
>I was impressed by Hendrix. Not so much by his playing, as his attitude—he wasn't a great player, but everything else about him was brilliant. Even the way he walked was amazing. His guitar playing, though, was always a little bit weird.

Blackmore wasn't wrong.
>>
>>74340753
That's a nice vague condescending comment Anon, thanks for adding to the conversation. L
>>
I just downloaded 30gb of hendrix live plays and I've never made a better decision in my life aside from taking acid and learning to play guitar
>>
>>74340680
he is not a skilled shredder or a tehnical player but when you look at how well his song parts are structured and not to say that he revolutionized the usage of guitar effects, other people did use the distortion, yes but no one quite like hendrix.
>>
>>74340680
Just stay away from greatest hits collections. First Rays would've been a fucking masterpiece; Stepping Stone has the thrash metal rhythm going
>>
His live material is my favourite. Red House is fucking amazing. 15 minute jams that go everywhere.
>>
>>74340680
he's "good as fuck" (that's 60s black people slang btw)
>>
File: a3c.jpg (29KB, 640x416px) Image search: [Google]
a3c.jpg
29KB, 640x416px
>>74340919
>>
>>74340680
He was actually the GOAT. It was all about his feeling and how he played. Too bad no one really understands why, and either denies it or tries to flaccidly recreate his style.
>>
>>74342056
>>thinks hating spear chuckers is edgy
>>/reddit/
>>
>>74342119
>Too bad no one really understands why
Major, minor pentatonic scales, along with flattened thirds and fifths and inversions of E7#9 chord are very well understood. However, John McLaughlin, Shawn Lane, Guthrie Govan and Frank Gambale among others couldn't understand what Allan Holdsworth was playing and never dared to attempt anything similar.
http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320276
https://dgmlive.com/news/Remembering%20Allan%20Holdsworth
>>
>>74340714
Never been military but when Jimi plays the banner, I get PTSD.
>>
>>74342325
When Jimi plays the banner, everyone's American.
>>
>>74342245
I love Holdsworth too, but you're kind of proving my point. It's less about what he's playing and how he's playing it. There's a whole lot to playing that's about energy and feeling, you have to be able to get your head out of the theory to understand it.
>>
>>74340753
in the year of '69? dam taking it back
>>
>>74340714
sounds like random noises on a shitty amp with retarded distortion. A 17 year old could do the same.
>>
is he the inventor of the single coil - humbucker neck setting ?
>>
https://youtu.be/Qfdvj0xzp9E
>>
>>74342377
>I love Holdsworth too, but you're kind of proving my point. It's less about what he's playing and how he's playing it. There's a whole lot to playing that's about energy and feeling, you have to be able to get your head out of the theory to understand it.
Are you implying that music theory poisons creativity? Please tell me you're not, although I'm already skeptical since you think I'm proving your point. Hendrix was backing up the Isley Brothers, Sam Cooke, and many others. The rest of the rhythm section was not going "Yeah Jimi, just play what youfeel, don't worry about, you know, the actual chords, harmonies, and all that other bothersome stuff that the rest of us have to worry about, just play what feelsright."
>>
>>74342443
>>74342377
>>74342245
For you gentiles
>>
>>74342325
I am burning an american flag as I post this
>>
>>74342452
not him but i don't think he's implying that
he's talking about the way it's played
it's what makes the difference between a good funk drummer and a bad one, microtimings, inflections etc
it's why sly dunbar is a magnificent reggae drummer and why clyde stubblefield is so well loved
not because of what they play, but how they play it

>it ain't what you do it's the way that you do it

as he says, theory doesn't really cover this (not strictly true as theory does cover it but only when you dig really deep, and even then it doesn't really understand why some feels sound better than others

incidentally this is the same reason j dilla was good, his timing was amazing
>>
Yes he's really good. Anyone who says otherwise is either shit at guitar or a shredder retard.
>>
Anyone who says Hendrix is a meme or not good is just a contrarian POC
>>
>>74342452
No I'm not implying that at all, just that you have to grow out of the mindset that technicality is the sole determining factor in what makes a player great.

Listen to a Nile Rodgers or Paul Jackson Jr. track, what they're playing doesn't take years of theory training to comprehend, but it triggers something communicative and primal. It's about instinct and the physicality of the performance.

As someone who literally grew up around musicians, I can tell you that the whole shtick of technicality gets really tiresome. Yes, obviously you need to play your instrument, but there's a wealth of factors beyond that that determines your artistry as a player.

This guy gets it
>>74342560
>>
>>74342402
>sounds like random noises on a shitty amp with retarded distortion. A 17 year old could do the same.
>/mu/ everyone, always cynical, always bored, always thinks they're too good for everything.
>>
>>74342620
what good is something hard to acomplish if it still sounds like shit?
>>
>>74342673
YOU sound like shit
>>
>>74342680
struck a nerve, I see
>>
File: nu_male_themes_in_TPAB.jpg (11KB, 227x225px) Image search: [Google]
nu_male_themes_in_TPAB.jpg
11KB, 227x225px
Faggots who say any 17yo can do the same thing seem to forget that Hendrix INVENTED this style. Before, blues and rock were 2 separate entities. He was also one of the pioneers of hard rock, along with others like Cream.
>>
>>74342727
>Before, blues and rock were 2 separate entities

just get out
>>
>>74342673
>what good is something hard to acomplish if it still sounds like shit?
It doesn't sound like shit, you're just a pessimistic moron that is never satisfied with anything.
>>
>jimi hendrix
of course
>>
of course x2
>>
South Saturn Delta
Pali Gap
Tax Free
You Got It
>>
File: boy.png (235KB, 407x282px) Image search: [Google]
boy.png
235KB, 407x282px
>>74342325
>>74342342
>>74342491
Jimi did that shit to disrespect the US government, that's why it's so damn distorted, and you can hear him doing effects with the whammy bar that sound like screaming and jets crashing
>>74340753
>nu male hates Jimi just because he is popular
>"b-but muh dadrock is shit, btw have you heard of indie band #4238753?"
>>74340778
But what if he turned shit after a decade or two, his death actually helped his legacy
>>74340942
He might be true, but it's funny coming from a guitarist who does nothing who sounds pretty similar to him
>noisy as shit
>rapes whammy bar in every solo if he runs out of figures
>dude fuzz lmao
not saying it's a bad thing though, the reason people say Jimi is a guitar legend is because he was not afraid to go wild, he played from his soul and you could hear in his music how much he enjoyed playing, but his band(s) contributed just as much
>>
The Star Spangled Banner is a really poor example, just listen to him playing All Along The Watchtower at the Atlanta Pop Festival 1970. His rhythm playing is extremely fluid and he effortlessly threw in licks all over his performance without focusing on his playing.

The man just sounded good without even trying to.
>>
>>74342870
>funny coming from a guitarist who does nothing who sounds pretty similar to him
*from a guitarist who sounds similar to him
sorry, brainfart
>>
>>74340680
Why can't something be a meme and good?

Also yes he is good despite what the edgy contrarians will tell you
>>
>>74342870
You read the YouTube comments you fucking faggot LMAO
>>
It's a 17 year old shredder that thinks anyone who doesn't exhibit pure technical ability isnt good at guitar episode
>>
>>74342996
what do you mean?
>>
File: 1455570819429.png (1MB, 852x854px) Image search: [Google]
1455570819429.png
1MB, 852x854px
>>74342727
>>
>>74343003
This
Keiji Haino is one of my favourite guitar players, and most of the time he plays random notes, on other occasions he's just really sloppy. But still, he has something that tickles my fancy
>>
>>74342227
It is sweetie :) We're all laughing
>>
He's really underrated as a songwriter and lyricist.
>>
>>74343047
'SCUSE ME WHILE I KISS THIS GUY
>>
>>74343047
I wouldn't really say he was that great of a lyricist, but he was a damn good songwriter.
>>
If the woodstock thing was free I'd show you a great part during the middle jam where its like a ritual joint smoking thing and he does something amazing I wish i could show you but listen to this instead cause it's still amazing

https://youtu.be/3rXnx2Lu5rs?list=FL7iqKQ7WKK_71RVXN8lkvlA&t=751

From here to the end or the whole video if you like. The feedback bits remind me of mbv.
>>
>>74340680
Pretty great imo
>>
>>74342560
>>74342605
I'm a guitar player too and I understand both of you, although I think people tend to over romanticize Jimi and refuse to give anything other than blues rock guitar playing a chance. He was definitely underrated as a songwriter. I enjoy BB King's and Keith Levene's playing too, even though neither of them was a particularly technically proficient guitar player.
>>
>>74343015
What you said is literally the first couple comments about the Jets and screaming and shit
>>
>>74343415
ok?
Then I guess it's you who reads the YouTube comments
>>
Master of his instrument, especially in the studio. Basically, he was really good at microtimings and getting the sound he wanted. It's why he was one of the first ones to truly experiment with effects.

As for his death, it did immortalize his legacy. It could've gone to shit, but he was planning on joining up with Miles Davis and Tony Williams, so psychedelic jazz might've been a thing.
>>
>>74341077
Acid just makes you want to make music. Both me and my friend started playing guitar after we started tripping.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.