[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to get started with playing Jazz Guitar?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

>>
1. Listen to jazz guitarists.

2. Practice sight reading as often as you can. If reading Charlie Parker solos at a slow tempo is too difficult for you, then work your way up to that.

3. Basic technique. You should know all your major and minor scales and arpeggios inside and out. Know how to voice all 7th chords.

4. Theory. If you can't already, learn how to do Roman numeral analysis and practice with some Bach chorales until it becomes second nature.

5. Pick up some kind of a jazz theory text and then pick an easy standard to learn and start learning it from a leadsheet.

6. Start transcribing guitar solos you like. Find a guitar solo on whatever standard you're learning and transcribe that. Analyze the solo and figure out why it works.
>>
>>74321641
Minor 7th and Minor 9th chords.
>>
>>74321641
Play in a jazz band, even if you have a basic understanding you can pick things up quick. Though most importantly learn your theory and learn how to read sheet music.
>>
>>74321709
What is good source for sheets?
>>
>>74322659
The Sher New Real Book is probably the best one, but the Hal Leonard Real Book is ok too
>>
>>74322708
Sorry I meant sheets for solos and shit
I already have the leadsheets from the real book
>>
>>74323599
The Charlie Parker Omnibook is what you want to get first. You can buy it or it's pretty easy to download the pdf online.

Other than that just google "artist name + transcription and see what comes up"

but doing your own transcriptions is really pretty crucial too
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.