[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rap Lyrics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: stillwritingrhymes_t.jpg (13KB, 220x160px) Image search: [Google]
stillwritingrhymes_t.jpg
13KB, 220x160px
Any rappers out here? Where do you get your inspiration? What do you write about?
+ tips for newcomers trying to get better at the art
>>
>rappers
Its it rapists?
>>
this is not going to end well
>>
write about crimes you didn't commit, women you didn't fuck but say you did, and money you do not possess
>>
>>74299905
Learning techniques in poetry seems like a good start. I refer to slam poets as Lil Jon Cage
>>
Say cheese see the porcelain, backwoods all forestry
>>
It helps if you are black. You will be able to rhyme random words like above using your cadence.
>>
File: RICK_AND_MHARTI.png (107KB, 400x303px) Image search: [Google]
RICK_AND_MHARTI.png
107KB, 400x303px
>>74299905
I write a lot of rhymes. I'm no good at it but practice does help a shit ton. Most of this is assuming that you write with a beat or at least a metranome. If you don't then give it a shot. There's probably 10,000 beats on youtube ypu can try. A lot of them are shitty but there are legitimate gems mixed in. Ypu can also torrent FL studio or get a free program called LMMS and make your own beats.

As far as inspiration goes, theres a world of shit to write about. Stereotypical content is drugs, women, money, cars, etc. If you can tell a coherent story over the course of a three minute track then know you're a better writer than a lot of people. Aesop Rock watches a lot of TV and writes down intersting words and phrases he hears, then looks them up and works them into his music. He's also an amazing storyteller, even if it's not a normal 'beginning, middle, end' deal that you think of when you hear the word story. His song "Rings" is a good example of how you can keep a coherent theme without giving a chronologically fluid list of events or thoughts and is worth a listen. (Rings with Lyrics - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ypjtniqCQ5E)

I also do the same thing with books (1984 by George Orwell and it's themes are becoming popular with the surveillance state in the US, it's a good read of you're into that kind of thing). Current events (politics, war, black lives matter, etc not to get all /pol/).

One of the best places to draw on for inspiration is your past experiences. Remeber that shitty girlfriend you had or the time you saw a hobo beat another hobos face into the sidewalk over a fucking chicken nugget (don't move to NYC if you don't already live there) or your grandma who died but influencd your life good or bad? Write about the REAL shit that happened to you. It's also healthy to write about past trauma and shit so there's that too.

>I hit word limit. Post 2 inbound.
>>
>>74301008
get the fuck out and return to reddit from hence you came
>>
>>74299905
Replace all your punctuation with 'nigga'
>>
>>74299905
>>74301008
Part 2 of 3
Cadence (more commonly called flow) and syllable count are really important. To most people two to five syllable count words and phrases (niggas are monkey rippin on my funky rhythm to quote Nas) sound more pleasing than one syllable rhymes (cat in the hat had a bat and took a shat etc) though short words like that are easier to sync to sixteenth notes and are pleasing to hear at 120-140 BPM. Take Watsky for example, he makes a beat and then breaks his rhymes down to the beat. Tech N9ne listens to a beat and makes percussion noises with his mouth and adds lyrics to those which is why he can chop like a motherfucker without sounding like a robot.
(Whoa Whoa Whoa by Watsky - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=noO8PKZ34wo)

Part 3 inbound
>>
>>74301024
Reddit is less toxic than this shitty ass board. I just come here to jerk off over hip hop and give cunts like you a victim to bully.

>>74301047
>>74299905
Part 3 of 3
Content is important too. A lot of rappers who make songs about redundant and pointless shit like drugs, pussy, and murder are regarded as pretty good but my fucking god are they overdone as fuck. Wiz Khalifa, Lil Wayne, etc have reused the same rhymes word for word countless times but people generally don't realize it. It's fine to have a song about smoking weed or killing people that you hate but for fucks sake have some diversity when you write or you'll get stuck in a rhyme rut and honestly if you always write about violence or suicide it can really fuck woth your head. Brotha Lynch Hung is a good rapper and I love his voice and cadence but ALL the dude raps abput anymore is murde and cannibalism and it does get old as fuck. The dude needs counseling.

As far as actually rhyming words it's case by case. Sometimes it's more difficult that others. There's also the difference of writing to a beat, wtiting without beat, and freestyling. It can be easier to do one at some points and the other at different times. Anything you write down was a freestyle at one time though. Something that may help is grabbing a few metranome tracks on youtube. 60, 100, and 120 BPM are good to write to. If you write a rhyme structure at 60 bpm then you can double time at 120 a hell of a lot easier and look cool. 120-140 BPM is what a lot of modern rap songs are set to, so keep that in mind when you write.

(rhymezone dot com) is a great tool. It's a thesaurus and rhyme dictionary and it categorizes by syllable count and also hyperlinks all results for finding near rhymes.

Most importantly write a few pages every day even when you don't feel like it.

Also my bad if you didn't want to hear most of this shit. I just started writing and stopped whenI realized it was getting technical and boring.
>>
>>74299905
I think of it like this: in any creative endeavour, hell, in human life itself, all depends on certain constants, on certain rules. Fire burns, water boils at a certain temperature, rivers flow to the ocean, Biggie was better than Pac, etc etc. Likewise, there's certain constants, methods that define rap. You're saying words, you're doing so in a rhytmic fashion, most of the time over a beat, etc. Defining these rules, playing with them, breaking them is what creative people do.

Lots of good advice here already.

>>74300288
SERIOUSLY get into poetry. Most people think it's just a matter of themes and word choice, and to an extent it is: but from poetry, you also get an understanding of the way words themselves sound, how they come together to form a rhytm. Hell, go on /lit/ and ask where to start with poetry if you want. I personally have no online resources to recommend you, as I was taught with textbooks that are probably not online, but we live in an age of information.

That goes for other rappers. Who are your favorites? If you love, say, Andre 3K, put Aquemini or Return on repeat and try to mimick his flow, see what he does with his vowels and copy that.

Art's never born in a vacuum (there's a lil ugly mane song about that): you are only as good as all the influences you take in. Listen to great rappers, consistently try to live up to these rappers, and you WILL improve. Likewise, read great poetry, try to write as well as these great poets, and you WILL improve.

>>74301008
>>74301047
>>74301062
This guy gets it. It's sorta all over the place, but essentially:

1. Consume a lot of material (rap, poetry, books, tv shows, anything might inspire you so everything)
2. Produce a lot of material (rap in your case).

That's what I believe the creative process boils down to, in ALL cases. Input, output.

To recap: as an artist, you take what's out there, filter it through yourself, and put something else out there.

1/2
>>
>>74301309
That was the philosophy: now, the practice.

First off, set some time apart in your day to practice rapping, and do it CONSTANTLY. It's gotta be as important as eating and shitting. The way our brains work makes it so we only truly learn when we constantly practice what we want to learn: rapping 15 minutes every day is going to be better than rapping six every weekend, or three one day, one two days after, four when you remember "ah shit I need to practice rapping". Be constant, that's what's important. We thrive on habit.

However you organize this rap time depends on you: personally, I'd say a 50/50 split for writing and rapping, but it entirely depends on you, on what's more important to you as an artist. Just have a time and stick by it.

Second off, expand your horizons. /mu/'s an utter shithole, but what it's good for is discovering music you'd never discover otherwise, and not only discover it but shitpost about it. Look in the sharethreads, post in the chart threads if you're feeling brave, ask for recs and shit. Said before you're only as good as your inspirations: so put away some time to *research* music. Not *practice* it, research it. Study all that poetry shit, listen to other rappers or read other poets, read up on music theory (oh yeah, do that too, almost forgot), or generally try to find something that makes you want to rap, to create.

So, to recap: to go with the input/output phase in the thoery, I suggest to put some time away for practice (rapping & writing raps) and some away for research (listening to other music, reading, studying, whatever).

This has worked for me in the past, hope it does for you too.

Also what's your top 5, OP?
>>
just write more lol wtf
>>
>>74301477
>>74301309
>>74301062
>>74301047
>>74301008
Thanks a lot (i think its 2 anons) this is real good info

>whats your top 5
As far as rappers go, off the top of my head the ones i have fun listening to
Eminem
MF doom
Biggie
LL cool J

>>74300288
Are there any other poets i should check out?
>>
>>74304190
Forgot tribe called quest
>>
>>74301008
>>74301062
Inspiration and content might be my biggeat issues but as life goes on there will be more shit to talk about, i just wanted to be ready and abe to write a good verse when the inspiration strikes
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.