[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a better pop album than this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 10

File: cover.jpg (226KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
226KB, 1000x1000px
Is there a better pop album than this?
>>
>>74272118

Madonna is unironically a great pop artist. Everything until that abysmal Music album has at least a few great songs on each album.

Even Ray of Light, minus the title track. Which sucks.
>>
Yes, Ray of Light for example.
>>
In its particular category maybe, Promise to Try and Oh Father are kind of sucky though. Till Death Do Us Part redeems them though, the most unjustly ignored Madonna song.
>>
>>74272170

Frozen and Power of Goodbye are top tier adult contemporary pop.
>>
>>74272118
is this a chocolate and cheese reference
>>
File: madonna2.jpg (749KB, 3040x3073px) Image search: [Google]
madonna2.jpg
749KB, 3040x3073px
>>74272153
Honestly, Music was that bad and also Confessions. All of her 90s output excluding Ray of Light sucked to be honest.

>>74272182
Promise To Try and Oh Father are fantastic. The slower songs off of that album are great. I can't see why anyone would dislike those two tracks seeing how emotional and powerful they are.
>>
>>74272153
The title track is god-tier late-90s audiokino.

t. someone who was in middle school at the time and couldn't get enough of the title track over the Ricky Martin, loli Britney, boy bands, etc that were everywhere at the time.
>>
>>74272253
wasn't that bad*
>>
>>74272254

I was a bit harsh on it. It's okay, but Frozen and Power of Goodbye are better tracks from that album
>>
>>74272253

I really like her earlier 90's stuff, honestly.

Justify My Love is such a dark pop song. Pure fucking sex, that one.
>>
G***** - A** ******
>>
>>74272253
They don't offend me but I find them lacking nuance. I actually think there are more layers of emotional complexity in the upbeat songs; Love Song is more sly, Express Yourself has a better message, Till Death Do Us Part is pretty harrowing when you realize it's about her getting beaten up by Sean Penn.
>>
>>74272319
Oh yeah, Justify My Love AND Rescue Me are great tracks. Also, I unfortunately find Erotica and Bedtime Stories to be pretty boring and forgettable albums by Madonna. That's what I meant by my comment earlier about her 90s output.

>>74272398
I can definitely see what you're saying. What are your thoughts on Act of Contrition? It's an oddball track and I would have never expected something like that from Madonna.
>>
she has a good mv catalog
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eBLNzbHyi0
>>
>>74272302
Agreed. Frozen is even greater audiokino than the title track was.

I'll Remember is another hidden 90's Madonna gem
>>
>>74272533
I consider Act of Contrition to be one of those "context" songs reminiscent of David Bowie's Secret Life of Arabia. Like it's this funny little surprise if you make it all the way to the end of the album, almost like a bonus song. I wouldn't listen to it by itself though.
>>
>>74272118

On a side note, I never thought I'd have a legitimate discussion on /mu/ about Madonna's music.

Good job, boys.
>>
One of her best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FODR2qnclPE
>>
>>74272751
I like the "country" side of her desu.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRLHro9EPD0
>>
File: 1481519366733.jpg (110KB, 922x940px) Image search: [Google]
1481519366733.jpg
110KB, 922x940px
Fun fact, early copies are scented so try smelling yours if you have one.
>>
>>74273780
Interesting fact, friend. Madonna truly is a legend.
>>
>>74272182
Anon I have that same opinion about till death do us part
>>
File: Confessions_On_A_Dancefloor.jpg (27KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Confessions_On_A_Dancefloor.jpg
27KB, 300x300px
No love for Confessions?
The lyrics are occasionally the worst in the genre, but the production is so slick and glossy.
>>
File: Into_The_Groove_madonna.jpg (119KB, 984x793px) Image search: [Google]
Into_The_Groove_madonna.jpg
119KB, 984x793px
Also, Into the Groove came on at Wal-Mart today and it got me smiling immediately
It's awesome when music can actually make you happy
>>
>>74274933
Hung Up and Sorry are killer. The rest of the album is alright.
>>
>>74274430
Even her worshipers never seem to talk about it, but then judging by what my friend told me about the people at her concerts, I guess I'm not surprised.
>>
>>74272118
The Fame Monster.
>>
>>74272118
immaculate collection desu

madonna is one of those artists where their greatest hits albums are impeccable, and better than any full length they've ever done

see also: tom petty
>>
File: kickinside.jpg (97KB, 736x736px) Image search: [Google]
kickinside.jpg
97KB, 736x736px
Yes.
>>
>>74275171
Good but Gaga is just a shitty Madonna copy cat.
>>
>>74275082

Whenever Holiday comes on it always makes me happy.

Like, it makes me want to dance like a retard, and I am not a dancer.
>>
>>74275237
IIRC it doesn't have the album version of Borderline? Which is a deal-breaker for me.
>>
>>74272118

Slightly off topic,

but I remember being 12 and seeing that movie where Madonna bangs Willem Dafoe on TV. I taped it, and watched those nude parts over and over and over again.
>>
>>74275171
Good because Gaga doesn't have the tact to make an entire album of good material so she had to make an EP instead.

And even better than that, Ariana Grande, My Everything. She's one of the few that can handle a ballad, and one of the few that can rock hip hop features and mine hip hop influences and make it work. Everything on My Everything is the same style of the contemporaries, but done well for once.
I don't feel like I even have to mention EMOTION, but that's my honest answer for best.
>>
>>74275508
Dangerous Woman is way better than My Everything which is pretty boring desu. Emotion is the most overrated pop album on this forum.
>>
>>74275586
Nah, more like all of modern pop around it is underrated
I'm just glad 80% of our "learned" hipsters can still find it in their hearts to enjoy EMOTION. Now they need to appreciate other pop for what it is too.
>>
File: so.jpg (30KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
so.jpg
30KB, 500x500px
>>
>>74275693

Peter Gabriel is pretty much singer/songwriter adult contemporary with a new wave style.

Not really the same thing as Madonna.
>>
I paid one whole dollar for this on cassette, the best medium for 80's pop music
>>
>>74272302
Doesn't Really Matter was really good too.
>>
>>74272118
Voulez-Vous by ABBA is a supreme album and if it didnt have the song "The King Has Lost His Crown" (which is only meh, not that bad) it would be perfect
>>
File: 51HkK5DOA8L.jpg (50KB, 500x447px) Image search: [Google]
51HkK5DOA8L.jpg
50KB, 500x447px
>>74277322
yall niggas think im playing
>>
File: christgau4.jpg (24KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
christgau4.jpg
24KB, 300x225px
Like a Prayer [Sire, 1989]

Three times I've mistaken her polymorphic promo and gross ambition for standard-issue lowest-common-denominator pandering, and three times her audience has disabused me in the months and years that followed. But though I swear I won't get fooled again, it's hard to hear an icon in the privacy of your own home, especially if you don't believe in her, and I won't sink that low or fly that high--I can't. So say the kiddie psychedelia is ick, the side-closers are over when they're over, and everything else sports some little touch to remember it by, Prince or musique concrète or broken quote from the Association. The cocksucker's prayer is anybody's classic, but coming from, I don't know, Suzanne Vega, the declaration of filial independence and the recommendation of romantic independence would be uncharacteristically catchy cliches. Coming from an icon they're challenging, thrilling--and they'll get more thrilling. B+
>>
>>74275271
She also ripped off of...I forget her name, some New Wave chick from the early 80s who dressed in clown costumes.
>>
>>74277450
Madonna stole from every other New Wave artist in existence as well, though she gets a pass because she actually lived through that era and was involved with that scene. Gaga is LARPing as artists who stopped being relevant before she was born.
>>
Her performance at Live Aid is interesting because that was back when she still had a sense of humor and hadn't yet become a pretentious superstar who acted like you should be lucky you were even allowed into her concerts.
>>
>children killing children, while the students rape their teachers

What did she mean by this?
>>
>>74277450
Do you mean Roisin Murphy?
>>
>>74274933
Wrapper for a hit single.
>>
File: Pet Sounds.jpg (263KB, 1300x1300px) Image search: [Google]
Pet Sounds.jpg
263KB, 1300x1300px
by a longshot
>>
>>74272118
Just how many album covers ripped off Sticky Fingers anyway?
>>
>>74272118
Any pop album is better than anything that skunk Madonna ever put out!
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.