[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: God Tier Rock Operas only

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 11

File: Quadrophenia_(album).jpg (56KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Quadrophenia_(album).jpg
56KB, 300x300px
Tommy Fags need not apply
>>
but Tommy is really good
>>
>>74266202
You know it's good when you don't have to skip a song on a 1 1/2 hour long rock album
>>
>>74266202
The Real Me is such a good song. I love it!
>>
>>74266202
this is the best album ever made
>>
My all time favorite album
>>
5:15 is the best Who song.
>>
>>74266202
Did anyone make a better rock opera than Quadrophenia? Did anyone even come close to it?
>>
Greatest rock opera of all time
>>
Origin of the Feces (the re-arranged and faux-live version of the debut LP Slow Deep and Hard) covers one linear story through the whole album.

Peter learns his girlfriend is cheating on him. Falls into a terrible depression. Only crawls out of that depression on the shoulders of blind rage. Goes out to kill his girlfriend and the guy she was cheating with. Whole thing ends with him getting on to the subway to ride out to Brighton Beach, not knowing what comes next.
>>
WHO IS SHE
>>
File: scenes.jpg (211KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
scenes.jpg
211KB, 1000x1000px
>>
File: MI0000364016.jpg (75KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
MI0000364016.jpg
75KB, 500x500px
>This far into the thread and no one's fucking posted the best

Fucking c'mon /mu/
>>
>>74266202
Am I the only one who struggles to listen to double albums or just really long albums in general? Like if its over 50 minutes I lose interest unless I'm baked as fuck.
>>
>>74266989
You should never force yourself through albums. It's okay if you can't listen to the whole thing at once.
>>
>>74266524
>>74266963
Cancer
>>
>>74267043
you're stupid
>>
>>74266989
It took me a few times to get into Quadrophenia, it's pretty long. The 2nd half is really good, should listen to that on it's own so you're not tired of it by the time you get that far.
>>
>>74266989
Yeah if it's a rock or metal album I just take a break because an hour of just guitar noise can be a little brain numbing
>>
>>74267043
Fell for the b8 m8
>>
File: Gwar.jpg (24KB, 316x316px) Image search: [Google]
Gwar.jpg
24KB, 316x316px
>>
>>74267186
I get what you mean. I can really only listen to 1h+ albums if they don't have filler or if I'm really in the mood.
>>
>>74266202
Quad is massively underrated on here, actually the greatest record of all time IMO. Tommy is awesome but doesn't touch it in comparison.

>>74266524
Don't listen to it anymore but I'll always remember this. Loved it so much back in the day, shit like Jesus Suburbia was what made me realised rock could be more than pop with guitars.

>>74266963
Love this too, unfortunately their only good album.
>>
File: Liturgy_-_The_Ark_Work.jpg (296KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
Liturgy_-_The_Ark_Work.jpg
296KB, 800x800px
>>
inb4 Lifehouse

Honestly The Who as a whole is pretty underrated here. As for great rock operas, I'm gonna have to say... Rush's 2112 comes close, though that's more of a song than a rock opera. If it counts, The Mars Volta's Frances the Mute comes really close to being one.
>>
File: Lamb.png (1MB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Lamb.png
1MB, 1000x1000px
>>74266202
Does this count?
>>
>>74266299
Dubs confirm!

>>74266209
I like the sound of Tommy better, but Quadrophrenia is objectively a superior album.
>>
>>74266202
>>74266259
>>74266279
>>74266299
>>74266348
>>74266360
>>74266495
>>74267356

Lifehouse would have, unquestionably, been the greatest album ever written. They really flew too close to the sun with that one. The fact that the table scraps of those sessions are STILL considered one of the greatest rock albums of all time says everything about just how utterly god-tier the completed product would have been.

>>74267653
This guy gets it.
>>
File: Quadrophenia_cast.jpg (80KB, 900x672px) Image search: [Google]
Quadrophenia_cast.jpg
80KB, 900x672px
I actually just watched the movie a few days ago. Honestly has aged pretty poorly, the second half was good though. It's a fun look into Mod culture, there don't seem to be many movies about that compared to hippies and punks.

Also it needed more Sting.
>>
Anyone else always find something new when they listen to this album? Like I've heard it well over 30 times but it seems like I always hear new sounds. Like the guitars in the dirty jobs or the acoustic in the rock
>>
>>74267752
I hear this all the time and I have to say I disagree. Lifehouse would've been a great album but it was much more of a collection of songs with a vague storyline as opposed to the cohesive experiences of Tommy and Quad. Pete's early synth experiments are really awesome and would've been groundbreaking had they been released but by the looks of it they only would've featured on Baba, Won't Get Fooled, Join Together and Relay in a very limited capacity. His ambitions were high and it's easy to perceive Lifehouse as this electronic rock fusion masterpiece but there's no way he would've had the confidence to pull it off. Assemble the album from the Elements tracklisting and all the recorded tracks and you've got pretty much what would've been released.
>>
>>74268004
I just listen to the recurring musical themes and how they played throughout the vastly different tracks on Tommy, and think of just how awesome it would be if those themes were Pete's Baba/Won't/etc synth lines.

The tracks that came out of Lifehouse, to me, just have that atmospheric quality that Tommy has, and that Quadrophrenia didn't do nearly as well.
>>
>>74269209
I'd say it's the opposite, but The Song Is Over teases so much that Lifehouse would have been considered on the same level as Revolver or Pet Sounds, honestly.
>>
File: front.jpg (48KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
front.jpg
48KB, 400x400px
Waiting for the Broadway musical/movie........
>>
>>74266524
This was posted as bait probably but I still think this is a great album. Even tracks like Boulevard fit perfectly into the narrative of the album. Jesus of Suburbia is such an amazing song as well. It's not something you'd really expect of a pop punk band. The story is good and I love the way it's presented so simply yet so well. I mean you wouldn't expect a character named Whatsername to have actual character but she does. I just wish it had more leitmotifs and themes and that Wake me up when... wasn't included and it would have been more amazing
>>
>>74270452
This. It would have had the raw, mature sound and songwriting of Quadrophrenia, with the kind of innovation not seen since Pet Sounds, Revolvr, or Sgt. Pepper's.

Also, to have lines like
>It's time to take my hand, we'll travel south, crossland
>Put out the fire, and don't look past my shoulder
>The exodus is here, the happy ones are near
>Let's get together, before we get much older

actually mean something in the context of a greater story would have made listening through Lifehouse feel like listening to Pet Sounds and The Wall thrown into a blender.

It easily would have been seen as the greatest rock album of the 70's, that much I know for sure.
>>
File: 1497012639930.jpg (99KB, 448x537px) Image search: [Google]
1497012639930.jpg
99KB, 448x537px
>>74266202
>the bass part on The Real Me was done in one take
>>
>>74271026
Lifehouse would be insane, honestly. To be fair, it could also be extremely clumsy.
>>
>>74271487
Did The Who ever have another clumsy album?

Everyone here nuts over Smile, when it's clear that Lifehouse is the greatest "what if" album to be dashed on the rocks of a frontman's mental health issues.

Fuck, now I'm going to spin Who's Next while I study and weep for what never was.
>>
>>74271881
Lifehouse is a much less marketable story than Smile, though. Lifehouse is a collapse of a project for getting desillusioned with the audience and having a nervous breakdown. Smile's collapse comes from internal tension.
>>
>The Punk and The Godfather
>Is neither punk nor does it sound like Nino Rota

Fucking broke my vinyl in half, what a piece of shit.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.