[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

after lurking for a while and witnessing the sheer amount of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

after lurking for a while and witnessing the sheer amount of shitflinging that makes up a large part of discussion on /mu/, i'd like to gauge the credibility of the average poster on the topic of music as an art form.
how many of you fags have actually tried to write your music? i don't care if you compose in the traditional sense, record guitar jams on your shitty nokia, or produce music exclusively through a computer.
all i want to know is how many of you have attempted to write a fully fleshed-out piece of music? i'm talking arrangement and structure, melody and harmony, motif development, maybe even some lyrics if you have a taste for it.
because it is a long-standing opinion of mine that if you have no musical skill or theoretical knowledge of music, your opinion is inherently worthless - or at the very least, is less informed than a musician's opinion.
my baseline assertion is that a non-musician can never appreciate the nuances of a piece of music to the same depth as an experienced musician, especially a musician who has attempted to make his own music.

prove me wrong faggots.
>>
While I haven't really put anything out, I've dabbled in sample-based beats, regularly play noise as a hobby (though I am honing my sound and technique and am looking into a 4-track recorder), and recently taught myself to play a simple 4/4 beat with my left hand and a simple 19/16 beat with my right. For the most part, I find the opinions on here to be a bit vitriolic and I mostly come here for shitposting/recommendations, not so much serious discussion. /prod/ is ok for discussion, but it is a little standard hip hop/indie centric.
>>
>>74252394
Sorry, I wasn't too clear on this, I play the 4/4 and 19/16 simultaneously. I don't have a drumkit at the moment, since I live in a dorm or my closet sized room at home, I was considering an electronic one for practice but my dorm has practice instruments.
>>
>>74252333
You have to understand that a majority of the posters here are under the impression that rap is music, and the seroiusl replies you get to this thread will probably reference beat-making as if it were musical composition.
>>
>to criticize a film, you must be a filmmaker
>to criticize a book, you must be a writer
>to criticize a video game, you must be a video game dev

This is retarded. Fuck off.
>>
>>74252733
Are you implying that "I don't like it" is valid criticism? Because otherwise those statements are absolutely true and you're retarded for using the word retarded.
>>
>>74252764
>Are you implying that "I don't like it" is valid criticism?
Don't be stupid. You don't have to be a musician to be able to coherently express why you like or dislike an album.
>Because otherwise those statements are absolutely true and you're retarded for using the word retarded.
Having made something might help you to better understand it, but it's by no means required. Just look at Roger Ebert. As far as I know he's never made any films himself, but he's still the single best film critic ever. He's a damn good writer though, so if anything, that matters a hell of a lot more (or being a good orator if you're doing video reviews).
>>
I agree you can't "properly" critisise anything in great detail without knowledge of how it works; you have to be able to explain your critisisms in order for them to be cohesive. That being said, art goes beyond theory & skill and sometimes your opinions lie outside of those critiquing areas by matter of taste. Being a Jazz musician, I can be critical about music from a theoretical standpoint but I also enjoy music that, theoretically, should be bad from the same standpoint - but I just like it because I do and lots of people, both musical and non-musical, experience this same phenomenon.
>>
>>74252941
>Roger Ebert
Are you serious? I just read through some of his reviews and are you serious? I've heard better-founded criticsm from my 12-year-old cousin.
>>
>>74252333
You didn't lurk for long enough if you thought this was a good thread to make, dispshit
>>
>>74253082
Yeah, no, you really haven't.
>>
>>74253107
This
>>
>>74253164
Yes I have. Are you seriously under the impression that "this is the plot, I don't like it" is valid criticism of film as a medium?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.