[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

wtf, how was this made in 1966?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: 01_freakout.jpg (244KB, 953x953px) Image search: [Google]
01_freakout.jpg
244KB, 953x953px
wtf, how was this made in 1966?
>>
>>74244051
1966 music sucks (except pet sounds), that album sucks, nothing strange here.
>>
File: b8.webm (831KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
b8.webm
831KB, 1280x720px
>>74244058
>except pet sounds
>>
>>74244051
It couldn't have been made any other time.
>>
tape
>>
How could a pastiche of '60s pop be made in the '60s? gee I wonder

Also the last two tracks on this are absolute garbage, especially Monster Magnet
>>
>>74244051
messing with tapes just like everyone else
>>
File: US - v1 - B - Help I'm A Rock.jpg (88KB, 553x551px) Image search: [Google]
US - v1 - B - Help I'm A Rock.jpg
88KB, 553x551px
>>74244051
I know, right?
>>
>>74244051
>>74244058
>>74244878

The album was a satire of the shitty psychedelic music that had started to become popular at the time
>>
>>74244051
>album consists of 60s pop, "experiments" that were already outdated by 1966, and simple as shit harmonic progressions compared to what Beatles/Beach Boys were doing
Jfc you guys really don't know shit about music if this felt like something super far ahead of its time.
>>
>>74246453
How were tape loops and musique concrete outdated by 1966...?
>>
>>74246479
Because classical and experimental musicians were already heavily working with those for almost two decades before Freak Out! was a thing? This stuff was already first being really messed around with by Pierre Schaffer in the 40s. The most ambitious things to come out the tape loop/concrete realm were Stockhausen's Gesang der Jünglinge and Kontakte which were both made in the late 50s. Zappa/Beatles approach to tape loops by 1966 is not just too late, but extremely amateur and primitively compared to what had been done with that kind of music by then.
>>
am I the only who liked all the arcs about upcoming youngsters? it's a shame they stopped it after season 3
>>
>>74246762
>Because classical and experimental musicians were already heavily working with those for almost two decades before Freak Out! was a thing?

Yeah but that doesn't make it outdated. When the Beatles did it on Revolver it wasn't outdated. When Zappa did it it wasn't outdated. These were new effects in pop/rock music, so they couldn't be outdated.
>>
>>74246762
Shut the fuck up gayboy
>>
>>74246853
Just because it was new in pop music doesn't make it some innovative, ahead of its time thing that OP insinuated it be. It's the opposite. Hell, even if we stick to more..."pop" stuff, the original Dr. Who theme beats out both Beatles and Mothers Of Invention by three years.
>>
>>74246929
Yeah, I know, I'm well aware of early instances of these effects, but they aren't "outdated" if the vast majority of people haven't heard them before. "Not innovative", maybe, if you refuse to consider context. But objectively, these were not "outdated" sounding records when they came out.
>>
>>74244051
With the help of a visionary and a man who used his mind.

>Mr. America, walk on by
>Your schools that do not teach
>Mr. America, walk on by
>The minds that won't be reached

>Mr. America, try to hide
>The emptiness that's you inside
>But once you find that the way you lied
>And all the corny tricks you tried
>Will not forestall the rising tide
>Of hungry freaks, daddy
>>
>>74247045
And the song itself instrumentally was something almost unfathomable for a "rock" band in the 60's:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuABc9ZNtrA
>>
HELP I'M A ROCK
HELP I'M A ROCK
HELP I'M A ROCK
>>
LOLSORANDOM LEE POO POO XDDDD
>>
>>74247390
>I got everything I know about Frank Zappa from shitposts on /mu/
>>
>>74244051
>Help! I'm a Rock is a parody of Damo-era Can
>released three years before Can even released their debut album
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.