[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Overrated albums

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

File: U2--The Joshua Tree (1987).jpg (39KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
U2--The Joshua Tree (1987).jpg
39KB, 500x500px
Side one is great for the most part but side two really feels like an anticlimax.
>>
>>74217454
It was really good, desu. Maybe if you were alive then you'd understand.
>>
>>74217454
Nah
>>
inb4 itaots or kanye etc.
>>
Kraftwerk-Trans-European Express
Capt. Beefheart-Trout Mask Replica
David Crosby-If I Could Only Remember My Name
Brian Eno-Another Green World

Dark Side of the Moon is a good one.
>>
>>74217454
Not sure if it's technically "overrated", but goddamn was this awful and fucking boring.
>>
File: MBDTF.jpg (48KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
MBDTF.jpg
48KB, 300x300px
>>74217454
>>74217551
>>
>>74217454
love this album and will rep for in gods country, one tree hill, mothers of the disappeared, red hill mining town.
>>
>>74217596
Why TEE? It was a huge influence in the development of electronic, post punk, New Wave and hip-hop.
>>
I thought Sgt. Pepper but it does have a few legitimately great songs on it. Do people rate The Wall highly, because that album does nothing for me.
>>
>>74217762
They are both overrated, but The Wall is garbage as opposed to Sgt. Pepper having a few goodies and my personal favorite Beatles track.
>>
I can think of two that are held in very high esteem which are overrated IMO.

Pet Sounds

The 2nd one is also considered a masterpiece in it's own genre and that is:

A Love Supreme
>>
>>74217454
/mu/ hates U2 so much that they are probably underrated here
>>
>>74217839
Having been on for a while, I guessed that it was time for another "let's trash Pet Sounds" thread. And if Sgt. Pepper hadn't come out when it did, it wouldn't be rated so highly. Very much a product of its time.
>>
>>74217762
>I thought Sgt. Pepper but it does have a few legitimately great songs on it
I consider it the Most Overrated Album, but nevertheless agree that it has some great songs - including my favourite Beatles song "A Day In The Life". I just think that not only is it not The Best Album Of All Time And A Major Turning Point In 20th Century History, it's not even the best Beatles album. It's too inconsistent, too cloying and whimsical, and heck - despite it being acclaimed as the first - it ain't even a proper concept album.
>>
>>74217762
I'd say the Wall is overrated by a lot of people but not by most Pink Floyd fans. I think it's still really good, but the whole over-the-top concept album gives it a lot more hype/attention than some of their much better albums like Animals, WYWH, or Piper (even though all of those also get quite a bit of attention)
>>
Frampton Comes Alive

ELO's entire catalog of schlock rock
>>
All Beatles, Pink Floyd, and Bob Marley albums.
>>
Van Morrison--Astral Weeks
>>
>>74217892
The word "overrated" is overrated. Love it or hate it, Sgt. Pepper made an artistic statement in a genre (pop rock) that had never been considered a serious art form. Nowadays the idea of concept albums, lyrics that need to be read, and elaborate cover art may be taken for granted, but Sgt. Pepper was the first to do it in a big way.

You guys are lost when it comes to this album. Sgt Pepper another album with textures with many songs with non-standard rock backings like "A Day in the Life", and "Within You Without You" for example. Is it a concept album? I would say it is in terms of how it's structured. The structure is different than Frank Zappa Freak Out with it songs being linked or cross-faded with a reappearance of introductory theme of Sgt Pepper with it's reprise in the end. Songs like "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite" which could be a cousin of "Tomorrow Never Knows" could only be created with the studio in mind.

Mind you these aren't your average pop songs most artists would love to have written.

Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds has a rhythmic alteration of 3/4 and 4/4 beats and its use of tambora drone on the verse. The song has three distinct sections with parts going from a slow psychedelic part to a rocking section. The guitars also change from which doubles the vocal to the next section guitar through a Leslie speaker.

A Day In the Life" which maybe is the first progressive rock song with it's avant garde orchestra in the background and unconventional breaks in the song and ending with a 40 second sustained piano chord.
>>
Literally all RHCP, GNR, and Metallica albums.
>>
File: AtrocityExhibition.jpg (23KB, 316x316px) Image search: [Google]
AtrocityExhibition.jpg
23KB, 316x316px
>>74217678
damn right
>>
>>74217839
But how many bands at that time could have come up with the melodies and chord progressions on PS? The arrangements and use of recording technology were also phenomenal. Does it matter that almost none of the songs are rockers? It's all subjective opinion, but I don't see how PS is overrated.
>>
>>74218403
Pet Sounds is overrated because it isn't the Beatles.

>proceeds to write a graduate thesis on how the Beatles were better songwriters and musicians than all else
>>
I agree with Mick Jagger that Exile on Main Street is overrated. It's not a bad album, but it's not as good as Sticky Fingers, Let It Bleed, or even Some Girls for that matter.
>>
PS is overrated because it's nowhere near the greatest album ever made, but somehow critics and music nerds jerk off to it and it's nowhere near that great. I've listened to it a bunch of times and it's pretty boring for the most part with a few okay songs.

People who think the album is the greatest album ever are entitled to think so but we who disagree surely are entitled to think it's overrated.

TBCH I think PS is considered great only because some critics and musicians have coronated it as such, but most actual listeners would say it's not better than, say, Abbey Road by a long shot.

Abbey Road is far better than Pet Sounds and I can think of many other better albums as well.
>>
>>74218455
Exile is a good album but it has an entire side worth of filler. The hipster status it got in the early 90s has made it every casual's favorite Stones album to namedrop.
>>
>>74218605
Exile has been overrated for far longer than that. Paul Gambaccini's "Critics' Choice Top 200 Albums" list from 1978 has it at #7 and I think Christgau had it at #1 or something.
>>
>>74217959
_Everything_ by Bob Marley? You've got to be freaking kidding me. You're talking one of the greatest singer-songwriters of all time. Powerful, positive, thoughtful lyrics, great melodies, and a god-level voice. He almost singlehandedly made an entire genre of music mainstream.

His cultural impact was enormous. His message of love, freedom, human rights, living life, and spreading positive energy has reached people around the world.

The one thing I always come back to is that anywhere, from Africa to the richest parts of California, and people know who Bob Marley was. He may be the single most important musician of all time.
>>
Frampton Comes Alive. They must have had some good weed in the 70s to make such an incredibly average live album sell that many copies.
>>
The White Album really didn't need to be a double album, a single album was enough to hold all of the good songs on there.
>>
Oasis (pick any album)

The Brits think this bullshit is the second coming of the Beatles.
>>
>>74217454
Red by King Crimson
The title track is good
Starless is amazing
The rest isn't that good
>>
>>74218901
Not all of us I'll have you know.

Inflated beyond all belief by the media and played and played and played to absolute death on the radio meant that they sold records by the truckload. There was even a fake media-driven Beatles vs Stones war in the form of Blur vs Oasis. Even Tony Blair invited Noel Gallagher to 10 Downing Street for tea. They were lumped in with any loud indie band under the Britpop label. They were nothing more than a loud and incredibly lucky pop rock band who built their entire career off of stolen Beatles/Slade hooks. No serious music enthusiast took them seriously, they were a below-average karaoke band for 11 year olds who needed a new poster on their bedroom wall. Liam Gallagher was met with universal derision back in '10 when he tried to maintain his "cool" media image by hurtling his "Brit Award" into the audience while yelling a couple of obscenities. Nobody was moved, his time has passed by now and the jig is up. Every generation throws a hero on the pop charts. Just don't confuse it with a love of music.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.