[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Vaporwave and Philosophy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 3

This thread regards the intersection of current youth zeitgeist in the West (particularly North America and Europe) and the coming (or already present) (post-)post-modern philosophy. I mention vaporwave in the title because I believe it exemplifies a certain ideological lens that is quite common but feel free to inject any bit of pop culture you think is relevant insofar as it relates to these two topics (youth zeitgeist and new philosophy).

Thread music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BispkChfpfY

Some questions to start:
>my thoughts in green

Who are the most relevant contemporary philosophers?
>Personally, I’d say Lacan, Deleuze, Zizek, Girard, Sloterdjik, Delanda, Land, Habermas, Kripke, Chomsky, and Peterson. If anyone could synthesize all that you could become pretty famous.

What is the new canon? Do we have to contend with a world canon?
>I think there are a lot of insights to be had from the East. Especially when viewed alongside contemporaneous Western sources. These bring to light a lot of things that have been seemingly lost or overlooked. I think McEvilley, Kingsley, Hadot, and Uzdavinys are all interesting in their "shamanic" interpretation of the Greeks.

Do we need a new philosophy for the contemporary era?
>In my opinion, whether or not we take philosophy to be a historical enterprise or an ahistorical enterprise then there is a need to either create new ideas and better questions or rediscover old ideas and remember questions. The techniques stay the same but the outcome changes. Praxis and theory.

What is the Vaporwave of philosophy?
>I am a capitalist and a schizophrenic so I love Deleuze. Especially the possibility of a left accelerationism. Gives me nostalgic feels of Walter Benjamin's esoteric Marxism. The dialectical spirals are happening faster now.

Anyway, please share vaporwave and literature and discuss.
>>
File: 1498999686228.gif (366KB, 140x160px) Image search: [Google]
1498999686228.gif
366KB, 140x160px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToOO5_JDL7k

Vaporwave is originally supposed to represent cultural elements at an apex in history. Post scarcity capitalist culture moves soo fast yet we come to a point where the world dosent resemble anything in recent history and at the cost of our inability to meet such rapid change at face , comes our obsession with nolstalgia. Simpsons, 90’s/80’s cartoon/anime and pop cultural and especial technology oriented elements all present in vaporwave represent our attempt to normalize our tech saturated world by possibly reviving the “vapor ware” phenomena in technology. Since technology moves so fast now adays we look back at old fashion windows 98, netscape nolstagia and Nintendo and playstation one days as evidence of the impermance of our new normal.

However in regard to a distince philosophy for Vaporwave, Id want to stress at it’s fluent abilty to culture jam, co opt corporate iconography and re apply meaning to corporate symbols in a wolrd where businesses attempt to define people. Vaporwave hopefully should address the memes passed down the legacy of brutal capital ability to modify our behavior and hopefully this anti- art from can beat the psyware marketing has done to humanity.
>>
This is all James Ferraro's fault
>>
>>74214437
Imagine over-analyzing instrumental music to this extent. You're like rap genius for songs that don't even contain words, just muh 80s and 90s

Nostalgia trips are not some "new" and exciting when it is an entirely boring and played out concept. You are applying philosophy and ideology to a genre which doesn't contain the qualities you talk about. You're extrapolating this from nothing but VHS-filtered old media. That's it. It's a hack genre for hack artists, hence why it comes in three flavors
>DUDE CHOPPED AND SCREWED BUT WITH A DIFFERENT NAME AND MARKETED TOWARDS HIPSTERS LMAO
>DUDE AMBIENT MUSIC WITH NO APPARENT DIFFERENTIAL QUALITIES FROM ANY OTHER AMBIENT WITH SLIGHT IRONIC DETACHMENT LMAO
>DUDE "VAPOR" SOUNDS PLUS TRAP DRUMS LMAO

It functions as advertisement for the corporations, not a foil. It is utterly useless as a subversive tool against corporations, seeing as how that is entirely up to the consumer to decide, and SURPRISE! Most consumers don't care. You want to be subversive in a way everyone can understand, like "We Want Your Soul" did. Slapping a pepsi commercial on your slowed down 80s Japanese Funk record is not doing anything to help, sorry.
>>
>>74214639

*consent play with intellectual property*

primes the observer to define capitalist imagery in spite of the marketing intent.

Punks have tried to do this, but an embrace of corporate iconography rather than an outright aversion of it helps to attract the same audience that would be advertised in the first place however making similar symbols , inverting Nike swooshes and other such things will still help with the association that buying from the same source and so if you were to twist the corporate intent that came with original image they will be sold a different idea.

If you trick people into accepting anti capitalist or at least the antithesis to the damaging effects unregulated capital has done to society through marketing, like they way we advertise to men and women and how everything is about how you need products to be whole, you can trick people into knowing they’re whole and that they don’t need those product or the philosophies marketed with them. They may even begin to produce products that are more healthy, economical, and empowering with a more conducive or humanist philosophy marketed alongside it.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.