[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Red Pill me on Trout Mask Replica.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_1849.jpg (70KB, 500x491px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1849.jpg
70KB, 500x491px
Red Pill me on Trout Mask Replica.
>>
>>74199015
Just don't take it too seriously
>>
>>74199015
It's a fun and unique album that features a lot of great musicianship
>>
>>74199015
What red pills? Amphetamines?
>>
>>74199015
Clear Spot is better
>>
>>74199015
enjoyable album, overrated by people who praise it and unfairly trashed by people who hate it. it's not some major advancement in avant-garde composition, it's just an extremely unique and goofy record that came out of bizarre circumstances and minds. lick my decals is a little better.
>>
It's an intentionally shit album that only lives on due to its cult meme status.
>>
>>74199036
It pioneered Math Rock you dick.
>>
>>74199015
good album
>>
>>74199015
It's an album made by a schizo who beat his band members, locked them in a house, starved them and yelled at them until they played all the weird shit he wanted
>>
>>74199057
Which is great and all

Just saying, don't treat it like it's meant to be this super deep and life-altering experience of a record. Love this album btw, it's fun, catchy, and hilarious at times
>>
Has some goofy shit on it.

Musically it's not too bad as harmonically it's not different at all from the vast majority of rock music, and honestly neither is it that way melodically if you isolate each melody out. So it's not actually atonal as people say it is.

The main draw of the record is the surreal image conjured up by Beefheart's whacky vocal style and the extremely syncopated yet tight rhythms that add the main source of complexity to the record.

Personally I think Lick My Decals Off, Baby is the better Beefheart & The Magic Band album as it's a lot tighter, there's less filler/gimmicks, it's far better mixed since Beefheart himself did it, and there's more general diversity from more tame sections to the most crazy things the band has ever done. But TMR is still a solid record.
>>
>>74199090
>In preparation, the group rehearsed Van Vliet's difficult compositions for eight months, living communally in a small rented house in the Woodland Hills suburb of Los Angeles. Van Vliet implemented his vision by asserting complete artistic and emotional domination of his musicians. At various times one or another of the group members was put "in the barrel", with Van Vliet berating him continually, sometimes for days, until the musician collapsed in tears or in total submission to Van Vliet. According to John French and Bill Harkleroad these sessions often included physical violence. French described the situation as "cultlike" and a visiting friend said "the environment in that house was positively Manson-esque." Their material circumstances also were dire. With no income other than welfare and contributions from relatives, the group survived on a bare subsistence diet. French recounted living on no more than a small cup of soybeans a day for a month and at one point band members were arrested for shoplifting food (with Zappa bailing them out). A visitor described their appearance as "cadaverous" and said that "they all looked in poor health". Band members were restricted from leaving the house and practiced for 14 or more hours a day. Vliet once told drummer John French he had been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia and thus he would see nonexistent conspiracies that explained this behaviour.
>>
The work is so innovative and complex as to be nearly indecipherable. The rhythm section sounds so polyrhythmic that all rhythm is lost. The singing, vaguely interested in music, travels within alien universes. The guitar acts as atonal contracanto.

The album is by all accounts an anthology of chaos in all its musical forms. For as deeply varied as they are from one another, these twenty-eight cuts are many versions of the same scene of devastation. Trout Mask Replica is above all a collage of abstract paintings, each different from the other in color, intensity and contrast, yet they're all homogeneous in their "abstraction".

The overall meaning of the pandemonium in Trout Mask Replica is not only playfulness, or the negation of a meaning. The allegorical messages of Van Vliet's masterpiece are multiple, hidden by layers of abstractions that allow a cosmic-metaphysical interpretation, despite the author's pretense of illiteracy. These interpretations redirect the listener toward a form of apology for madness, to the primordial stages, and to chaos, counterposed against the monolithic order of technocratic society.
>>
>>74199045
>>74199050
>>74199090
These three.
>>
File: 1484326537627.jpg (99KB, 800x733px) Image search: [Google]
1484326537627.jpg
99KB, 800x733px
Captain Beefheart was an asshole
>>
File: its not that deep.jpg (43KB, 540x447px) Image search: [Google]
its not that deep.jpg
43KB, 540x447px
>>74199193
>>
File: reds.jpg (4KB, 171x100px) Image search: [Google]
reds.jpg
4KB, 171x100px
>>74199046
Seconal, more like. "Reds".
>>
The album was composed solely on a piano, and vocals were recorded while CPT. Beffheart was hearing the band through a tin can. This is why the album sounds like shit.
Also something about getting his bandmates into a near-dictator cult leader in a trailer house purely funded by Frank Zappa. crazy shit.
>>
It's a fun album to listen too.
Even on my first album I enjoyed every song I was listening to, it sounded like something your grandpappy would improvise.

I can't be the only one who thought this
>>
>spoiled man-child with literally zero knowledge of music theory or practice gets bankrolled by his high school friend who owns a record label
>writes a double album's worth of music by playing with sound like a kid in a sandbox with no inhibitions and a complete disregard for its reception
>subjugates and abuses a group of kids much younger than him for a year because he needs them to play the instruments
>result turns out to be one of the best albums of the 20th century

Kids here who shit on this album do so out of cognitive dissonance. They feel they should be able to appreciate any "experimental" rock album with a cult following, then are offended when they don't like it after one listen. This is literally the least pretentious and most based album of all time. If you are able to appreciate delta blues and free jazz, you'll love it. If you can't into jazz and require your music to be based on melodies, "beats" and chord changes, you probably won't get it.
>>
>>74199193
I think you meant to put this in the RYM cringe thread, my man
>>
File: hatemylife.png (430KB, 549x465px) Image search: [Google]
hatemylife.png
430KB, 549x465px
SO SICK OF THE HOBOS
>>
>>74199036
this! don't let bullshit like the following ruin your experience by trying to read too much into it >>74199193
>>
>>74199164
kek, i now admire him more
>>
>>74199015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCDXhvXye9E
Just came across this the other day. Fucking beautiful man.
>>
>>74201001
The music is based in melodies, chords changes, and is very rhythm driven. Thanks for being typical TMR fan (not Beefheart fan, TMR fan) who knows nothing of the music itself. Just embarrassing as that Scaruffi copypasta also posted ITT.
>>
I heard this a year ago and hated it. Came back after trying some more avant-garde rock, its pretty cool once your ears get adjusted to the chaos.
>>
>>74199015
This album is unintentionally hilarious due to the standards we have set for music. Most songs have some sort of order to them. Drums are usually keeping the rhythm and instruments carry melodies and stuff. This album throws all of this out the window. The drum patterns on the album though complex are not keeping the rhythm. The instruments on this album play out complex chords and stuff but it just doesn't fit in with the drums. This creates a mix of music that I personally find hilarious to listen to.
>>
>>74201716
>The drum patterns on the album though complex are not keeping the rhythm.
They keep the rhythm just fine in my opinion. It's just that not all of the instruments are playing in the same time signature or tempo.
>The instruments on this album play out complex chords and stuff but it just doesn't fit in with the drums.
I think it all fits together pretty well. Beefheart was a master composer and each song was meticulously crafted, with each part working great with the others. Also, none of the actual notes or rhythms are very complex. Most of it's pretty basic blues. Try to listen to all the parts in this song, and it's actually pretty satisfying to see how they all fit together: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6mzoso95-Q
>>
File: 4L_5tJYJn1x.jpg (35KB, 452x601px) Image search: [Google]
4L_5tJYJn1x.jpg
35KB, 452x601px
>>74200472
>>74201050
>>74201405
>being this new
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.