[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't get it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 51wV7zKy7fL.jpg (34KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
51wV7zKy7fL.jpg
34KB, 500x500px
I don't get it
>>
LONDON
O
N
D
O
N
>>
>literally starts with Lesson 2
>complains he doesn't get it
>>
read that ridiculous manifesto by the Liturgy guy and then realize that branca did it properly
>>
>>74193454
that's okay
>>
>>74193528
link?
>>
>>74193454
set foundation for post rock
developed no wave into a serious genre to be considered alongside classical works
used the distorted dissonant electric guitar seriously - setting up all "angular guitar" music since like drive like jehu, slint, polvo e.t.c

its just very influential anon
>>
>>74193454
Just listen to it louder and while doing work or something, that's how I got it
>>
>>74193834
>treat it as background music
>that's how I got it
you didn't get shit you faggot
>>
>>74193834
This. In my case I listened to it while travelling and wasn't paying attention to it at all, just dicking around with my phone. Then suddenly I realize what I'm listening to (near the end of Lesson 2) and I'm like "YOOOO wtf is this shit" and I started to play the album over and over and over and now it's one of my favorites.
>>
File: fool.jpg (2KB, 82x125px) Image search: [Google]
fool.jpg
2KB, 82x125px
>>74193921
>doing something productive while listening to music is bad
>>
It's in a minimalist structure, so every track has some form of "starts with one riff, then others build on top it" type, with build-ups/breakdowns/drops that change the structure entirely.

Musically the music can get very dense as there can be four guitarists and a bass guitar all playing very different parts with a drumset rhythmically setting a foundation for it all. While is many moments this definitely also creates more melodically/harmonically complex stuff than really a ton of rock music, it's not just that either.

There's a textural/drone aspect to the music as well since there are so many distorted instruments playing at the same time, and thanks to, again, all the instruments playing completely different parts, gives a far more organic and "alive" sounding texture than say.... The Velvet Underground, Sonic Youth, My Bloody Valentine, or Tim Hecker's music as their music has far less movement within a given space.

It's also sort of a display of various guitar techniques and playing a guitar in different ways to get different sounds. There's bits involving various harmonics, feedback, and percussive metallic noises that would later become popular in the industrial/post-hardcore genres though those genres wouldn't explore them as much as just use a similar set of those sounds.

But the most subtle yet one of the most brilliant aspects of the music is the harmonic overtones it achieves. These are essentially notes that don't actually exist, but they are there when a music starts oscillating a ton, and in this case where you got four very distorted guitars there's definitely harmonic overtones. To hear these, the music needs to be played at a relatively high volume.

It's pretty unique(unless you listen to Branca's other stuff and Branca's mentor, Rhys Chatham), it's got a lot of moving parts that can completely go over people's heads, and it's not really like most "rock" music at all. But it's amazing for sure.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.