[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

OPETH

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: 51Wh2otbdqL.jpg (40KB, 492x500px) Image search: [Google]
51Wh2otbdqL.jpg
40KB, 492x500px
Wow. I know so many people who worship this album. I just tried it, and it's one of the cheesiest fucking things I've ever heard in my life.
>>
Opeth is objectively terrible, both from a progressive music and a death metal perspective
>>
Yep it's one of the most overrated bands in metal history.

Opeth is like the Tool of extreme metal. Except that Tool are actually good.
>>
>>74145613
>Opeth is like the Tool of extreme metal.
>Except that Tool are actually good.
You got that backwards. Tool sucks. Opeth has some pretty decent material despite being wildly overrated.
>>
>>74145650
Sorry but IMO Tool is much more enjoyable to listen to than Opeth.

Tool has some groovy and catchy songs and Maynard is a great vocalist.

Opeth is just boring as fuck. Oh look! Death metal growling into an acoustic interlude! Repeat ad nauseam until the listerner kills himself.
>>
>>74145685
>Maynard is a great vocalist.
You can't be serious. Maynard is at least 90% of why I hate Tool. I'd probably like them a good deal if they had someone that didn't have those terrible alt-right vocals. Say what you will about Opeth, but Mike is a great vocalist.
>>
File: tumblr_l1q9mxeZzL1qbc72no1_400.jpg (50KB, 400x267px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_l1q9mxeZzL1qbc72no1_400.jpg
50KB, 400x267px
>>74145734
>terrible alt-right vocals
>>
>>74145734
Different strokes I guess.

If you don't like Maynard's vocals then you won't enjoy Tool or APC.

Personally I find Opeth to be very boring. The vocals, while not terrible are nothing to write home about. Mike sounds exactly like every other melodic death metal vocalist.

Maynard on the other hand is unique.
>>
>>74145755
Fucking hell. I meant alt-rock. It autocorrected on me.
>>
>>74145771
>autocorrected
Alt-right is considered a real word now?
>>
>>74145794
I've used it a few times, so it's in my phone's dictionary at least.
>>
>>74145590
It's one of their lamest ones, especially considering what they made before it. Orchid blows everything they made out of water, though MAYH and Morningrise come close.
>>
No it's great. Ghost Reveries is better tho, and Watershed is underrated. Opeth is my favorite band AMA
>>
Progressive metal is objectively bad.
>>
>>74145903
>Watershed
>underrated
What?
>>
>>74145910
"no"

like every sub, it has it's good and the bad.
>>
>>74145892
>Orchid blows everything they made out of water
that's just silly
>MAYH and Morningrise come close
I love Morningrise but it's got silly death metal growling over personal and sad lyrics. He's growling on a song dedicated to his grandpa, it's dumb
>>74145916
? Many people don't like Watershed that much, but it has the best songwriting
>>
>>74145947
>it's dumb because I say so!
"no"
>that's just silly
Why? The clash between harder and softer melodies was at it's height here and they didn't made an album that surpassed Orchid, it's their unsung masterpiece, but everyone seems to drool over SL, BP and whatever uninspired prog wank they made afterwards
>many don't like W that much
What? It's one of their most beloved albums, especially recent releases wise. People jerk over it even more than they did over BP, how you find it underrated is beyond me.
>best songwriting
Eh, Orchid and MAYH, hell, even Morningrise, were better in that regard, and they were also much more interesting musically wise, as well.
>>
MAYH is easily one of their worst works. Boring as fuck. They simplified the shit out of their style to the point where they were basically just a regular ass DM band except they still were doing 11 minute songs for whatever reason.

Disclaimer; I fucking love Blackwater Park. The drapery falls is one of my favorite songs of all time.
>>
Mikael is an actual fucking hack and the fact that /mu/ doesn't seem to care is infuriating.
>>
>>74146049
>I fucking love Blackwater Park
intothetrashitgoes.jpg

>>74146061
Mikael is absolutely perfect and everything Opeth makes is gold!
But yeah, he's definitely a hack, has been since Still Life where Opeth began to be too formulaic and don't get me started on the wannabe 70's prog jerk off they've been doing for the past decade or two.
>>
>>74146001
>they didn't made an album that surpassed Orchid
I just see Orchid as amateurish, like everything they did on Morningrise is just a better version of Orchid
>everyone seems to drool over SL, BP and whatever uninspired prog wank they made afterwards
I actually don't care about SL that much but BP has Bleak and BP, some of their best songs. Why is it uninspired?
>Watershed
It has 3.68 on RYM, which puts it as their second worst after Orchid at 3.51. Compared to SL/BWP which are 3.95 it seems people dont like it much
>songwriting
Their early albums had that soft/hard/soft/hard sound without much variety. I find Ghost Reveries and Watershed as much more focused and better listens.
>much more interesting musically wise
true that, I love the folk sounds on those albums
>>
>>74145685
>[Objective statement]
>"You've got that wrong..."
>No my opinion is an objective qualifier now let me tell you how my preferences are indicative of quality

If you're going to discuss things using objective criteria maybe learn how to discuss things properly. "I like it so it's good" isn't a discussion, it's retarded babbling.
>>
>>74146134
>RYM
>credible
okay
>without much variety
but the clash between harder and softer shit had lots of variety melodies wise especially, just take a look at Orchid.
>Orchid
>amateurish
How and why?
>Bleak and BP
I'll give you BP, I liked that song, but Bleak doesn't compare to the likes of Black Song Immortal or Twilight Is My Robe
>>
>>74146186
You can't make objective statements about something as subjective as musical taste.

I said IMO Tool is more enjoyable than Opeth. If you prefer Opeth then listen to Opeth.

If you like Nickelback listen to fucking Nickelback dude.
>>
File: Opeth_stilllife.jpg (27KB, 340x333px) Image search: [Google]
Opeth_stilllife.jpg
27KB, 340x333px
this is a classic
>>
>>74146224
No, but it's better than BP
>>
>>74146199
>RYM
>credible
well what is credible? /mu/? youtube comments?
>but the clash between harder and softer shit had lots of variety melodies wise especially, just take a look at Orchid.
yes but it became very predictable when every song followed the same formula. All those folk melodies and acoustic passages are awesome, and the riffs are awesome, but I'm saying it's not as good because just slapping them together isn't very interesting as opposed to having more ambience/atmosphere and different styles of guitar playing like the ending of Harlequin Forest or Deliverance
And Black Rose Immortal is another victim of their amateurish songwriting, where the song has like 35 death metal riffs and 25 folk riffs pasted together without much cohesion (I still love it tho)
>>
File: Cover.jpg (28KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
Cover.jpg
28KB, 240x240px
Are there other bands out there that has similar style than Opeth other than Be'lakor?
>>
>>74146357
Katatonia, Edge of Sanity and Ne Obliviscaris are the closest, and Agalloch maybe? I don't think anyone had as much experience with folk and prog and death metal as Akerfelt.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.