[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

memeing aside what are your thoughts on this album

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

the only album iv'e listened to by her was art angels and i only liked a couple of songs on there, but i was really surprised at how much more ambient this sounds. i guess i thought the rest of her music was just as poppy. i almost want to say that his album is "a poor man's julia holter" but that doesnt sound right.

also i would make this post in the grimes general but im sure those threads are just full of either memes or circle jerking so id rather not
>>
>memeing aside I'm just going to post this shitty meme
fuck off with this shit
>>
>>74118593
listen to halfaxa it's like geidi primes but better
>>
>>74118618
>trying to rid people who post music you think is shitty music from /mu/
your fighting an uphill battle anon, but what didnt you like about this
>>
>>74118629
thanks, will do
>>
>>74118593
>memeing aside what are your thoughts on this album
It's the least sonically focused of her records, but imo that isn't necessarily a bad thing (if I could only use one word to describe Geidi Primes' sound it would be "comfy".)

Btw if ambient music is your thing you should DEFINITELY check out Halfaxa and/or her side of the double EP Darkbloom. Because they have the same sort of thing going on - except a whole lot more of it.
>>
>>74118593
I gotta admit i played Oblivion ad nauseum when it came out.
Then i saw a YT clip of her performing live and she sounded awful. That got me off

Am i being a pedantic cunt for judging her as a performer and not as a composer?
>>
i like claire but i really hate her friends
>>
flesh with a nerve
>>
File: 8534524.gif (200KB, 500x315px) Image search: [Google]
8534524.gif
200KB, 500x315px
>>74118629
just finished listening to this and im in love with Dream Fortress, thanks again for the rec

>>74119416
will def check those out

>>74119642
nah i think everyone gets a bad taste in their mouth when they realize that an artist they like is a shitty performer
>>
>>74119642
>Am i being a pedantic cunt for judging her as a performer and not as a composer?

I don't think so. She's kind of stated that she doesn't really excel at performing. Something along the lines of "If I couldn't sing and could only produce, I'd be happy." She might be the most autistic performer I've ever seen.
>>
dead
>>
>>74119642
>Then i saw a YT clip of her performing live
Making live music is a risky venture, especially when you do it with live-produced vocals (what Grimes does.) One of the main reasons why Grimes is such a unique performance act is because most performers don't even have the guts to TRY producing the amount of live sound she does due to all the technical failure risks involved. And yeah - things clearly don't always sonically work out for her. But when they do - glorious symmetry.

Also, just a couple notes/pet peeves I must point out regarding live performance videos on Youtube:
A). The types of microphones typically found in cellphones are incapable of handling sound levels above 90-100 dB - ie. virtually all live-amplified contemporary music. And this includes effects like high frequencies sounding noticeably out of tune recordings despite them not having been noticeably out of tune to live listeners (because of bass overload distorting the upper frequency range.)
B). Statisitcally speaking, a certain percentage of a musician's live work is always gonna be shit (because things just go wrong and nobody's perfect.) Meaning that the more live Youtube video bootlegs someone has, the more examples of that artist sounding bad you're gonna find (regardless of how many more good examples you can also find.) Hence why so many really popular live acts irl tend to have so much bad performance footage floating about. You're just being exposed to a larger sample.
>>
hi>>74120552
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.