[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Jaco Pastorius vs. Stanley Clarke: Who's the better bassist?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: argument starter take 2.jpg (348KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
argument starter take 2.jpg
348KB, 600x450px
Personally, I'll take Clarke over Jaco.
>>
>>74108457
Did people break their thumbs to play like Clarke?
>>
Clarke's a fucking Scientologist, Jaco no question.
>>
>>74108555
Clarke invented shred bass; don't ask me how that works but he somehow hasn't broken fingers to my knowledge
>>
Jaco
>>
>>74108457
Tough one. But Jaco did have the best bass player in the world moniker. I feel like Clarke is more heavy handed in the groove pool and Jaco has the more staccato and whispy trajectory around the pocket. Compared to say a Marcus Miller who can fuckin really write a funky chest sinker of a phrase.
>>
>>74108900
I'm kind of cynical towards that moniker for Jaco since he was more mainstream, being in Weather Report at their most commercially successful; a stinging opinion I hold is that critics said Jaco was the best because they hadn't heard Clarke. Marcus Miller is insane though
>>
>>74109017
I might actually agree there, there were a lot of biases for him in his circle especially at his entry during fusions explosion. Cult of personality yes. I still think he was a beast live. Anyone who can make Joni Mitchell sound even better is nothing to scoff at. Miller is also a fucking boogie genius, he's def in my top 3.
>>
>>74109129
Check out Percy Jones from Brand X and Brian Eno solo work, the stuff he does there is just top tier
>>
>>74109182
Thanks, will do.
>>
>>74109197
for individual Percy Jones tracks, "Nuclear Burn" and "Not Good Enough - See Me!", both by Brand X, are mindblowing; the latter track emulates Jaco's tone so closely it's startling, but it's Jones' playing style for sure
>>
>>74109255
Yea peeping one of his tutorial videos and that tone is scary Jaco but it's his own minutia this guy is amazing.
>>
>>74108457
Jaco is great but he has a certain sound that you don't always want in just any type of music.

Like when Joni Mitchell put together a backing band in the 70s with all these fusion guys - I like it, but it makes for a very particular, fusion-y, adult kind of sound.

Clarke is fine but kind of ditto with him.

I suppose this goes for most bass though if they stick out as having a style, giving the music a certain character. Some of my favorites would be James Jamerson the Motown session bassist, and dnb producer Dillinja if we're talking about the bass function and what you can do with it, rather than just bass guitar (because bassists could also include standup bass, or synth bass like Bernie Worrell)
>>
Jaco.

Both his bass playing and his writing was incredible. Clarke is just a virtuoso.
>>
>>74111140
Ya dillinja is underrated, don't hear him discussed enough desu.
>>
>>74111140
Dillinja is a fucking mad man. Same with Peshay and the Source Direct duo. Scientists of the low end.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.